Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Were "Ponies" To You Before FiM?

Zero000

My Little Pony for me has always been my childhood, together with the He-Man's and Ghostbusters's, and TMNT's, and all other crap (still cool, yea?). Only it did change my life a bit around 10 years ago.

I think the girly part of MLP was slightly embarrassing to deal with as a child, only it turned out no one really cared. There were worse thing to be beaten up (j/k) on the school yard, like Sega vs Nintendo lol (that was brutal!).

I think the popular kids in my class managed to start a discussion of the My Little Pony Tales when it was running over Christmas holiday of 1994 here on public TV, and it turned out most agreed it was quite interesting. As long as the popular kids are fine with it, everyone else is fine with it as well.

• Brohoof 1

Ponies pre-FiM was taken in my eyes as something I will never ever enjoy. Too girly, too boring to be interested in. Then this show came along, and it changed my outlook on that perception. Now, here I am wearing pony shirts, collecting comic books and pins, and meeting people. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really remember much about what I used to think of ponies. I hardly knew MLP existed until a guy told me about the brony fandom back in 2012, and I guess I thought it sounded kind of dumb back then. I had never watched the previous generations though, so I didn't have much bias except for the fact that it's a show for young girls. Now ponies are half my life, so I like where I've come. ^_^

I remember seeing part of an episode from a previous generation of My Little Pony (it might have been g3), and thinking that it was boring because at the time I was looking for a Transformers Prime episode to watch. I also remember seeing that MLP FiM was airing on TV when looking at the shows that were on, and thinking that it wouldn't be interesting at all because it was girly. That was before my first episode watch of MLP FiM.

1 minute ago, EpicEnergy said:

I remember seeing part of an episode from a previous generation of My Little Pony (it might have been g3), and thinking that it was boring because at the time I was looking for a Transformers Prime episode to watch. I also remember seeing that MLP FiM was airing on TV when looking at the shows that were on, and thinking that it wouldn't be interesting at all because it was girly. That was before my first episode watch of MLP FiM.

Transformers Prime started after FIM. Did old pony still air on TV after that?

10 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Transformers Prime started after FIM. Did old pony still air on TV after that?

I remember briefly seeing older generations of MLP, but I'm not sure when it was. Now that I think about it, it could have been before I watched Transformers Prime, I can't remember if I saw it before or after.

Edited by EpicEnergy

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What were ponies to me before MLP?

Honestly just animals. My Dad always took me to the "horse races" in Saratoga NY to bet on horses while they raced across the track. And to add to this my grandmother grew up on a farm and her dream was to ride and tame horses. Don't get me wrong, I respected them as animals, and my Dad told me they were both majestic, and smart enough to know what you're thinking. But before MLP I only saw them as a form of enjoyment for us to use as sport or to accomplish their dreams.

I really didn't know MLP existed before I started watching FiM it with my sister when I was 11 (she's 3 years younger than me). It was cool but nothing that I would watch on my own. Maybe watched the first two seasons and left it at that... Recently gave the show another chance now that it's over and I ended up liking it a lot. It's now one of my favorite cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

The EARLIEST exposure to My Little Pony that I can remember is when I was really little (can't remember exactly what age). It was on a VHS for either Dora The Explorer or Blue's Clues and it showed a trailer for one of the G3 movies (couldn't tell you which one). I didn't give it a second thought then because I brushed it off as some childish show for girls.