Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Longest you've Gone without Speaking

MelancholicMemory

The longest I've gone without speaking was about 3 days. It was back when I was younger, parents were out of town and I just stayed at home and kept to myself. Longest I Could go without talking? Probably a week, but I would likely start talking to myself before the week was up  :P

It depends... I talk to myself quite a bit when alone (I think it has become a habit...).

The strange thing is, I'm not a very social person so if I'm on my own in my house for the day, I could safely say that I would only last about 1 hour at a time without saying anything; but if the rest of my family was there too, I would be able to keep my trap shut for at least double the amount of time...

weird right? :blink:

I swear I've answered this before. Whatever. I usually go to bed at 11:00, so I get around 7 hours of sleep. I've never pulled an all-nighter before. I almost did, but then I fell asleep at 6 am. So I've never gone more than 24 hours without sleep.

That' s a different thread. The question here is how long you've gone without speaking, not how long you've gone without sleeping...

That' s a different thread. The question here is how long you've gone without speaking, not how long you've gone without sleeping...

Oh god damnit. Well, let's see. I'm pretty sure this one day I was sick, and my mom was at school, I didn't talk for like a whole 8 hours.

Thanks for pointing that out, by the way.

About 6 days, I was travelling around Europe and was walking from France into Italy. There was no one to speak to so I didn't speak.

Edited by Fridge

I am actually a very quiet person generally, but I don't get it why I speak SO MUCH when I'm outside of class. (as in lunch breaks or such) I don't even talk to my family as much as I talk to my friends, but I still talk to them a lot.

Now going back to the topic, I can't keep quiet. I eventually have to speak up because (mushy stuff coming up) I can't keep my feelings to myself almost all the time because they just eat me up and it makes me want to share what I feel.

• Brohoof 2

The longest instance I can recall was a period of several weeks during a summer vacation from school. There have probably been others of comparable length that just aren't coming to mind. Several times in my life I've gone without speaking long enough that my voice initially failed me the next time I made an attempt.

These days I have a habit of talking to myself when I'm thinking about or working on something. It helps me to sort through what I'm doing and to retain anything new that I'm trying to learn. Keeping it in my head is just as effectual but speaking gives my voice a workout and helps me to focus during boring tasks.

I actually found an interesting topic for debate similar to this. The idea was that you go into an empty room, ten metres squared by five metres high, white walls, no windows and doors, no entertainment - with all the food you could want available on demand, and access to a bathroom. Simply, you have to stay in that room without coming out, for one year, for £16,400,000 (don't ask me why it was that random figure). I would very much consider doing that.

Sounds very much like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

And lol @ Betez.

Sometimes I will go days without talking, it usually depends on when my roomies are home. They spend most of the weekend off doing stuff and I am kind of a hermit (well I can be). Thankfully I have plenty of wonderful hobbies to keep my mind occupied while no one is home :)

At most I would say only about a couple of hours. If you are a busy person, then it would be pretty hard not to respond to others: work, school, and etc. 

I could go a long time without speaking though. Most of the time, I usually stay to myself. I enjoy being introverted as others may see it as a hindrance. It allows one to become a better listener too.   

Does this include talking to yourself or inanimate objects?  If talking to those counts as socializing, then maybe only a few hours (I converse with myself often, and talk to inanimate objects when I'm either extremely pleased or frustrated with them).  If it doesn't, then maybe a couple of days.  I don't talk to people very often, but my mother gets very worried if I don't call her, so I try to do so every day.  If I didn't do that, then I could probably go a good week without speaking to people.

• Brohoof 1

A long time for sure. Even when someone's around I tend to be quiet simply because I hate socializing. The longest I've gone without talking to anyone would be a month, 2 months if you don't count just saying necessary things to my parents. I spend a lot of my time alone and that's how I prefer it to be. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Longest i went without speaking? Well, probybly somewhere around a few hours, since i always whisper to myself. I used to just think to my self in my head, but now it evolved into whispers. But before that, also probably a few hours, since i have two brothers, parents, etc..

Hello!

This is the first time i'm hearing such a question. I've never thought about this actually, but i wouldn't be surprised if i had spent a day without socializing before.

Edited by Concord

The longest I've gone without speaking was only a couple hours, about 7 to be exact. I could go longer perhaps, one or two weeks, but I'm essentially required to talk to my parents at least once each day because of how we do things at my house.

Edited by Jalaton

I'd say the longest I've gone without talking was about an hour and a half. I like socializing with others, and appreciate other's opinions. But I guess I could stay quiet for about 2 days if I really had nothing to talk about, which is very unlikely, because I can be very random at times.

If I lived alone, I'd probably never speak. However, I live with my family (obviously), so I'm required to speak to them occasionally.