Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the CMC really?

Brook

I always thought they were somewhere from 5 to 10. High school comes either earlier in life or doesn't come at all; who says school in Equestria is the same as human schools?

Hm...Yeah I think they're elementary age. Like 9-10 or something. And this thread has just made me realized that they have never shown teenager ponies!. Only little kids, adults and the elderly. Hmm..

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can't tell if the getting a cutie mark is like going through puberty or not. Based on what they're learning in school, they're very young, but they might have just changed that based on the fact that no little girls would understand algebra or stuff like that. Really, I have no idea, but I'd guess about thirteen.

• 11 months later...

I'd say they are about 12 or 13, mostly because when fillies get their cutie marks they have something called a cutesinera which seems equivalent to a quensinera (I probably spelled that wrong, oh well) I agree with the whole cutie-marks-being-puberty-idea. Besides, in EG the CMC were in the school, I heard that the school they were in (Canterlot High?) was a middle/highschool combination. So they are probably 12 or 13, in 7th or 8th grade. (That took a while :). I feel smart write long words that a probably spelled wrong!)

Oh dear god I mean "I feel smart WHEN I write long words that I probably spelled wrong! ;)

:D lalalalalalalalalahuxhwiwyJc!!!!! :/

I have no clue why I'm here still.... Bye!!! :)

Honestly if you look at the Cutie Marks as a puberty thing then yes 10 and older would seem likely.

However, I am going based on their school and classes, which seems like an elementary school, and I'm guessing their in at least 4th grade since that's the year you actually learn about "stuff" your going to do for the rest of your life. This would make them about 9ish.

This also is about the same age as the "puberty" theory.

Also, you can't judge based on the movie. That literally was "Equesria" in a high school setting. Plus it was an alternate universe so, different rules and ages, etc.

• 2 months later...

I'd say approximately 8-9 if I had to go within two, since 5-year-old Sweetie Belle looked a lot different than she does now, and using the theory that the Mane 6 are in their mid-late teens but are afforded adult freedoms as a result of Equestrian society as a guide.

Well, I can't tell if the getting a cutie mark is like going through puberty or not. Based on what they're learning in school, they're very young, but they might have just changed that based on the fact that no little girls would understand algebra or stuff like that. Really, I have no idea, but I'd guess about thirteen.

It's hard to determine age via their education. Some schools (like our local Mennonite school) start teaching algebra in 3rd grade. Of course they stop schooling at age 14, and many have college level general education by the time they graduate....

Otherwise, I'd think they'd be between 7-12 years old human age equivalent.... I am one to see the the Mane 6 as young adults (18-25)

• Brohoof 1

Like everyone else is saying, a cutie mark is supposed to be an analogy for puberty, so they have to be about 10 or so.

No older than 13.

They are growing up, though. One thing I hate about most animated shows is that the main characters never age because the writers don't like change, but the CMC are actually maturing and growing. So at this point in the show they are definitely between the ages of 10 - 12. Sweetie Belle seems like the youngest, and Apple Bloom the oldest, Scoots being in-between. Just my opinion.

But age is a confusing thing in Ponyville. I'm guessing the Mane Six are young adults.

And also. There are no pony teenagers. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

I am pretty sure they are older than they look, but not by much. Why do I think that?

two of the mane six left their homes and started work in ponyville and looked around the Cmc's age. That means they were old enough to live on their own without anyone questioning it.

I like to think about between 12 and 13 years, when it comes to human equivalent. 15 tops. I see the mane 6 ranging from the ages of 21 - 24, so they shouldn't be much younger than that - especially since Faust confirmed that the mane 6 were young adults and not teenagers :D

• 2 months later...

In Season 1, Call of the Cutie, they said they were about the last in their class to get cutie marks.  I don't see how that's possible at much younger than 8.  (Hey, when I was 8, I was going to be a Pro Wrestler.  Somehow, that never worked out).  If they were older than, say, 13-14, I'd expect them to be closer to adult size.

So, if you say around 13ish for Season 4, that makes them 10-11 at the start of Season 1.  Poneyville Confidential has them working on the school paper.  Do they let you do that in grade school?  (Where I grew up, there wasn't a grade school newspaper)

As for the Cuteciana that Diamond Tiara has.  Some see it as more like a Quinciana , the party girls get on their 15th birthday in Hispanic Cultures.  Seems to be so, at least in Poneyville.  But, in some EQ cultures, at least, I see it as being more like a Bar Mitzah "today I am a man"

In Call of the Cutie, Diamond Tiara had something called a cute-ceañera, which is a play to quinceañera. This celebrates the 15th birthday of a girl, and is celebrated in certain parts of Latin America. In the same episode, we find out that the CMC are also the only ponies without cutie marks at school.

However, in For Whom the Sweetie Bell Toils, we find out that when Sweetie was 5, we also see that Rarity has fully grown. Considering that Rarity has her own shop, I presume that she is around 15 during Sweetie's 5th birthday.

For those two reasons, I think that the CMC are 10-12 years old. They may look young for 10-12, but you could also think of it as how filly Fluttershy is a late bloomer, as seen in Cutie Mark Chronicles.

My headcannon:

Season 1: 8/9 years old

Season 2: 9/10 years old

Season 3: 10/11 years old

Season 4: 11/12 years old

So in Season 5, they would be 12/13 years old.

Edited by PonyLaces
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...