Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who would make a good leader when Twilight isn't around?

poniesforfun

25 users have voted

1. 1. Who would lead the Mane Six, if Twilight was absent for some reason?

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie
  2. 2. Who would Twilight appoint to lead the group in her absence?

• Applejack
    • Fluttershy
    • Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie

Applejack is definitely the most mature pony after Twilight, so I would have to say Applejack.  She knows how to act in a situation, and is quite comfortable as a leader.

Applejack is definitely the "second in command." Take the second episode for example, when Twilight was trying to concentrate on the elements, AJ sort of took the leader role and said "Come on y'all, she needs to concentrate."  This is just one example, but Applejack is easily the most qualified for the leadership role after Twilight. She's level-headed, down-to-earth, rational, strong, and she looks out for everypony.

If both Twilight and AJ were to be isolated from the others, then I think RD would take over. Dash is definitely immature and impatient, but she is also strong and brave in her own right, and has proven she's more of a leader than a follower in other aspects. So she's a good number three.

After that, I think Rarity has some potential to lead if push comes to shove. She's intelligent and can get tough if she has to. She proved capable enough to get out of situations on her own in "A Dog and Pony Show."

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy aren't cut out to be leaders, but they're still great followers who have a place on the team. :)

AppleJack without a doubt, she's very rational and reasonable by herself and she knows how to handle problems (like the parasprite swarm). 

I think we all know the answer to this. 

Applejack:

img-1129694-1-applejack_hugs_vector_by_k

She's mature, she's brave, she is also rather strong, Sue, she may be an earth pony, but I can hardly see ANY negative traits about her,

Pinkie - Stupid, Ridiculous, 

Rarity - Overdramatic, Dainty,

RD - Arrogant, Rude

Fluttershy - Shy, Feeble, Meek

Applejack - ??? Can't really find any.

And by that Sue up there, I meant Sure, oops, heh heh... sgyedf dsfg drfg df g dfg df  df gd fg ds h sdf hsdf h dfs h fd h dsf h df hdf h df h sdfh df  Sorry, I dis all that gibberish thanks to the 100 character thing.

And the other ones who said AJ. Now think about this. What if Twi and AJ were doing something somewhere else and they weren't there. Now who would you pick. I would pick RD, reason why because she is Loyal as if you didn't know that was her element. Loyalty is the next element after Honesty to me. Here is the reason why I'd pick RD out of the four if Twilight and Apple Jack wasn't there. Rarity: Can't even put a hoof in the mud, so how is she going to lead because mud is everywhere, plus she might be over dressed when they have to be guided in the rain.

Fluttershy: She might not be heard because of her soft voice. Also, she is too shy and always will be once someone who isn't a chicken will teach her how to be brave.

Pinkie Pie: Party Animal and she will say that we should have cupcakes,cake,ice cream, anything Pinkie Pie eats. Also, you don't know when she will turn to Pinkamena.

RD: Loyal and will not be a wimp,won't be all delicate and won't go all party animal because that isn't her. She knows that if she leaves someone or doesn't help she won't be a loyal friend and she might be striped of her Element of Harmony and then they might not find a new loyal person like her to take her place.

So what do you think

Edited by ~RainbowDash~
  • Brohoof 1

And the other ones who said AJ. Now think about this. What if Twi and AJ were doing something somewhere else and they weren't there. Now who would you pick. I would pick RD, reason why because she is Loyal as if you didn't know that was her element. Loyalty is the next element after Honesty to me. Here is the reason why I'd pick RD out of the four if Twilight and Apple Jack wasn't there. Rarity: Can't even put a hoof in the mud, so how is she going to lead because mud is everywhere, plus she might be over dressed when they have to be guided in the rain.

Fluttershy: She might not be heard because of her soft voice. Also, she is too shy and always will be once someone who isn't a chicken will teach her how to be brave.

Pinkie Pie: Party Animal and she will say that we should have cupcakes,cake,ice cream, anything Pinkie Pie eats. Also, you don't know when she will turn to Pinkamena.

RD: Loyal and will not be a wimp,won't be all delicate and won't go all party animal because that isn't her. She knows that if she leaves someone or doesn't help she won't be a loyal friend and she might be striped of her Element of Harmony and then they might not find a new loyal person like her to take her place.

So what do you think

That's a fair answer, but that would only be if AJ and Twilight were away. 

But the thing is, I think the mane 6 are old enough to handle their own lives by themselves. So unless another villain comes out of nowhere destroying Equestria, it's not really necessary for them to have a leader.

• Brohoof 1

Even though the OP asks us to think about the other five as leaders, this discussion wouldn’t be complete without reviewing what makes Twilight Sparkle so effective in that role. Her intelligence and education are the starting point.  These enable her to make generally sound decisions even when a split second judgment is necessary. She keeps everybody’s safety in mind and will only take a high-risk, dangerous course of action if there is no other option. She has a tremendous devotion to Princess Celestia and her country.  She remains steadfast in the face of adversity and this courage is contagious to those around her. One more thing that sets her apart from other leadership candidates is her style: She’s compelling enough to spur others to action but gentle enough to avoid being overbearing. This is a key asset when she's placed in charge of a group featuring a wide range of temperaments.

So far, I’m making Twilight Sparkle sound pretty good, right? You’re probably ready to elect her princess. But everybody has weaknesses.  She shares one of her most critical flaws with another violet logically-thinking member of the Hasbro Multiverse: Shockwave. When they are faced with an illogical situation, an unsolvable problem, or seemingly certain failure, they can become so confounded that they momentarily lose their grip on reality. And while Twilight is mature beyond her years, she is still a very young adult. For all the book smarts and common sense she possesses, she lacks the deep-seated maturity and experience that only time can grant.

Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity each have their strengths and weaknesses as leaders and the replies above me detail those very nicely.  There’s no need for me to elaborate further. But I will briefly touch on Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. They do bring some leadership qualities to the table. In the case of Pinkie Pie, those are overshadowed by the fact that others rarely take her seriously and she doesn't take herself seriously. And Fluttershy, due to her extreme social anxiety, cannot deal with all the attention a leadership position would involve. She tries to offer good ideas, but those thoughts often come out as whispers because she's afraid other ponies will ridicule her. The good news is that when Fluttershy does speak up, what she suggests is usually a wise choice.

As to who should lead the Mane 6 in Twilight's absence, my vote goes for Applejack. :)  She has virtually all the same attributes Twilight Sparkle does except for her education.  She also has an unfortunate tendency to butt heads with RD and Rarity on occasion.  On the other hand, AJ hasn't shown Twilight's tendency to unravel in a moment of crisis. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 2

Rarity would make a good leader if she could get over her fear of manual labor and getting dirty. Other than Twilight, she's the most intelligent member of the group, and like Twilight can perform magic (though, to much lesser extent). If she applied herself studying magic, I wouldn't doubt she could pull of some of Twilight's spells, but I imagine anything beyond teleportation would be too much for her.

She's also the best eloquent, so diffusing situations without resorting to violence would probably be simple for her. Her persuasion skills would also allow her to get her way in most situations where Applejack and Rainbow Dash would have trouble getting their point across. She also seems to be the most attractive pony of the group, so using her sex appeal is another way she could get around obstacles if need be (she's already done it at least twice in the show).

img-1132475-1-rarity_propaganda_by_fr3zo-d4y2vrq.jpg

Rarity is best leader.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack! :) She really gave of a vibe of second in command the first time I watched the first two episodes. She has the experience of responsability and leading due to her time working with her family at the farm.

Raonbow Dash or Applejack

AJ is the most straightforward and arguably has the most responsibility of the Mane 6. However Rainbow Dash has proven to be an excellent leader many times such as in Hurricane Fluttershy(in a sense, her way of leadership reminds me a bit of Kamina from Gurren Lagann)

• Brohoof 3

Why is no one voting for poor old spike? He would make a great leader especially because he has lived with Twilight most of his life.

Well, to be fair we did all just watch Spike at Your Service and Just for Sidekicks, which didn't exactly inspire in me a whole lot of confidence in Spike's leadership abilities :)

• Brohoof 3

Everypony else has already said it, but I'll say it again, Applejack would quite obviously be the best choice for leading the Mane 6 (or, Mane 5 I guess, in that instance).  Practical, level-headed, brimming with street smarts (or, rather, earth smarts, if you will), and used to directing farming operations, AJ would be a great fill in for Twilight if she ever was gone for awhile.

Well, I'm going to assume a situation where Twilight needs rescued, and one the other six has to lead the group to save her. 

I'd say Applejack hands down, she's the most mature and level-headed out of the bunch, she just seems to be a natural born leader. 

Edited by Shoboni

I have to actually change my answer on this. I think that they can all take their own actions. Pinkie Pie can be all grown up when she wants, this is her naturally and if some ponies can't handle, well, Pinkie Pie doesn't care because she has friends! Fluttershy can be strong and bold when she feels like it, she just want to be that way because she is around animals 24/7, so if she is all loud talk and stuff around animals, then she won't have a talent anymore, would she. Rarity can be all rough and dirty when she wants to. She is just elegant and clean because she makes clothes and if you make the clothes dirty, costumer won't buy it. Rainbow Dash can be ignorant and sometimes came be if she wants to. Applejack has no problems, but still she can still take her own actions. They can all take their own actions and be who they want. Brohoof if you agree.

Applejack is the most level-headed of the group, and like Twi is often more cautious about situations. Dashie has lots of courage and can be inspirational but she's a hot head. Rarity isn't the leader type, Pinkie's too random and Fluttershy's too shy. AJ for sure.

Fluttershy. She seems like the most fit because of the fact that she will balance her friends' priority and the fact that in a dire situation she can without a doubt take control.

The only person who didn't say Applejack. Thanks for putting in a different opinion. (Although mine is also Applejack, she just seems the most fitting.)

Edited by Brosparkles
  • Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to agree with the majority seeing as Applejack is probably the most rational and level headed of the others. She tends to be the most calm about things, and doesn't seem to make many rash choices.

Rainbow Dash and Rarity could make ok leaders, but not as good as AJ in my opinion.

And Pinkie and Fluttershy.. Well no way :P, Fluttershy's to quiet and Pinkie's to crazy.

Applejack would probably be the most stable/safest leader, but I imagine that Rainbow Dash would be the most effective leader.  We've seen that Applejack is often a bit obstinate/stubborn, and will often only acknowledge/change her plans after they've failed for the first time; Rainbow, meanwhile, seems to have the "drive" to, say, wake up before dawn to buy apple cider.

• Brohoof 1

1. Spike: Even for a kid dragon, he would also make a great leader. When you review the rest of the gang, Spike is the one who's known Twilight better than anyone, and he seems to have Twilight's intelligence, wits, expertise, and cunning. He has the knack for jewels, but whenever he has to step up to the plate, he can and will. Look at Magic Duel's library scene: He was the one who kept the team together while Twilight was exiled in the Everfree Forest.

I agree with many others that Applejack would had been a good leader of The Mane Six.

And I could also see Spike as a leader too.

To answer this, one must ask what makes a good leader.  There are several characteristics that can define an effective leader, ranging from honesty, integrity, confidence, clarity, fearlessness, humility, empowering, persuasive and supportive, among others.  Out of the remaining five, nopony fits these qualities more than both Applejack and Rainbow Dash.  Though neither one may possess all of these traits and more, both exhibit more than enough for each to be an effective leader. 

I believe it would be fair to point out that both Applejack and Rainbow Dash have had leadership roles in the past, with both of them being team leaders during Winter Wrap-Up as well as Rainbow Dash taking command of the Ponyville pegasi for the Cloudsdale water collection, though I as sure I am missing other examples.

Applejack has demonstrated to be the most mature and level-headed pony out of the group, allowing her to make the most rational decisions that would be best for the entire team.  As well as dependable, strong and willing to tackle any hardship, Applejack would most likely be able to lead through most situations.  However, one of her greatest flaws would have to be her stubborn demeanor, where she would be unwilling to change her decisions until they have ultimately failed and has little choice by to rethink another plan of action.  This would impair her flexibility in a scenario where factors can change spontaneously and new decisions must be made quickly.  These failures, however, can ultimately be great lessons for her to grow into a more effective and humble leader.

Rainbow Dash has shown that she can command a team to complete a unifying goal successfully while effectively motivating those under her command to perform at their peak.  Without a high morale, a team cannot function at its greatest potential.  She is also tenacious when she has a set objective in mind, unflinching when faced with the prospect of failure and willing to do anything to succeed.  As her element suggest, she is also unwaveringly loyal to her comrades and would not think of abandoning them for any reason while staying vigilant of their safety as well.  I also believe that to be a lead, you must also be able to follow just as well.  Though begrudingly, Rainbow Dash has proven that she can be just as effective as taking the role of second-in-command just as well as a leader. able and willing to follow orders so long as they do not endanger herself or those around her.  However, just like Applejack, Dash does have flaws that could impair her leadership abilities.  She is quite brash and a a notorious hot-head, causing her to most often force her way through a situation rather than thinking of a more effective strategy, which could lead to a worse possible scenario (ex. Dragonshy).  She can also be a bit lethargic when it comes to minor tasks or those that she is not enthusiastic about  Though this is not a disabling flaw on its own, it is worth nothing.

In the end, each of the Mane 6 posses a fair share of traits that can create a good leader.  Given the correct situation, any one of them could exhibit great leadership and succeed.  But, with the exception of Twilight, AJ and RD have proven first hand that they are more than prepared to step up to position if need be.

• Brohoof 4

In the end, each of the Mane 6 posses a fair share of traits that can create a good leader. Given the correct situation, any one of them could exhibit great leadership and succeed. But, with the exception of Twilight, AJ and RD have proven first hand that they are more than prepared to step up to position if need be.

I enjoyed reading your whole detailed post.  :)  Unless Rainbow Dash continues to show the regard for her own safety and the safety for others she showed in Wonderbolt Academy, I'm still leaning towards Applejack as the best-suited backup. 

I also left a couple of important items off of my earlier evaluation of Twilight Sparkle:  One more pro:  She has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and always want to learn more.  One more con:  She sometimes gets stuck on details and fails to see the forest for the trees. 

I Beleive That Rainbow Dash Would Be The Next Best Thing. And I Say This Because Above I Saw Some Things That Were Talking About Her Aggresion Being Too Severe. I Do Not Agree With This Statement Because Agreesion Is Good In A Leader, Although Too Much Agression May Be A Bad Thing.

• 4 months later...

Just a thought that crossed my mind.  I think it's save to say that Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie wouldn't lead the group.

I'd say Rainbow Dash because she's always the first to act.  She's always telling the whole group to get moving, so she'd take charge with Twilight absent.

However, if it was up to Twilight to put someone in charge, I think she'd be more likely to pick AJ.  She's the most level-headed one in the group and would be the most logical choice.

Hello!

I'd have to say Applejack at both scenarios... Applejack's an honest pony, and a strong one aswell. She has leadership potential, and I believe she would be the most reliable and safest. I'm not saying Rainbow dash couldn't lead, but I believe that Applejack just has a little edge over her. :P:)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Either Applejack or Rainbow Dash. Applejack would likely be the one Twilight would pick to lead in some situations becaue she's usually the most competent of the group, however, Rainbow Dash has shown good leadership skills in the past(Wonderbolt Academy and Hurricane Fluttershy come to mind) so I wouldn't rule her out

Edited by Godot