Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestria: Total War Game Mod

Caesar2013

After playing Empire: Total War as the United Provinces, It got me thinking.. "Why can't there be a Total War Mod for My Little Pony?" After all, My Little Pony's universe has many different factions and groups that could easily make up a Total War game.

But first things first, "What is a Total War game?"

The Total War games, are a series of strategy games developed by The Creative Assembly. Their games include: Shogun 2 Total War, Empire: Total War, Medieval 2 Total War, etc.

In each of these games you are a faction or country (for example say Russia or Spain). Your goal is to basically conquer the world ;yet not go bankrupt. You raise armies and go fight other factions for control of the world.

So my plan, is to create a sort of My Little Pony Version of this.

THE STORY:

Unable to resolve their differences, Princess Luna and Princess Celestia have split Equestria in two. Those following Celestia, have kept the capital and established the Solar Empire, under the leadership of Princess Celestia. Luna, took the other half of Equestria and established her own country, the New Lunar Republic. When Equestria split in two, the Elements of Harmony have disappeared. Thus, both sides are unable to use it. Both Luna and Celestia search in vain as they make a desperate search for the elements in an attempt to reunite Equestria under their banner.

To the west, Chief Thunderhooves has died. His son, now Chief Rolling Rock (I'll change the name later), has risen to lead his tribe to unite the other buffalo tribes. Though not like "civilized", the buffalo are a proud, strong race. Their physical abilities are stronger than any other of the races have to offer, and their skills in combat are second to none. The road for Chief Rolling Rock's tribe will be a long one, but if they act quickly, the buffalo will be a match for the other races, perhaps... even one day, extracting tribute from them.

Near the old Equestrian mountains, a group of earth ponies, calling themselves the PLR (Pony Liberation and Resistance), have seized control of the cities of Fillydelphia and Stalliongrad, to create the UPSR (Union of Pony Soviet Republics). Under the ideals of communism, the UPSR are a fanatical bunch, dedicated to overthrowing both Luna and Celestia. They will not stop, they will not falter, until the common pony has been freed.

To the far east, lies the changeling kingdom. Though the changelings were nearly wiped out in their invasion of Canterlot, they are a tough group. Regrouping under the leadership of their queen, Queen Chrysalis, the Changelings have managed to regain some of their lost power. Biding their time, Queen Chrysalis hopes to take advantage of the conflicts in Equestria, and hope to finally, raze Canterlot to its foundation.

In the far north, the griffons set about building their forces and watching the conflicts in Equestria with glee. For too long, the griffons and Equestrian ponies have been in an on and off conflict between them. The griffons never advancing too far, due to the timely use of the elements of harmony. But the elements of harmony have disappeared. The lands of Equestria are rich and fertile. With the newly separated Equestria, it is only a matter of time, until Equestria is the griffon kingdom's oyster.

These are just some of the faction ideas.

For those that have played Empire Total War, you will know about revolutions (or chnage in government style, monarchy to republic, republic to constiutional monarchy etc). Anyways, I have a different Idea.

If your faction is the Crystal Empire (leader will be Cadence), you are expected to govern righteously and well (like not executing prisoners, exterminating captured cities, or over taxing the populace). However, if you are evil in rule, a sort of revolution will occur. In this place, King Sombra has felt the evil and loss of love in the Crystal Empire and wishes to return. At this point, you have the choice of either siding with Cadence or Sombra. Whichever one you choose, you have to lead their armies in battle to capture the capital city. Losing that battle means game over. Winning it, means either your government intact with Cadence, or if you sided with Sombra, the Crystal Empire being reorganized into the Obsidian Empire.

Remember, this is all concept, I'm still coming up with ideas before I begin with anything.

Here's an event idea for later in the game (I hope to try anyways).

The Human Invasion

It is easy to become comfortable with the enemy you know, our familiar foes, the changelings and griffons. But to ignore the threats from beyond the known universe will grant a rude awakening that can become a nightmare. That nightmare is the human invasion. These bipedal hairless ape creatures come with a legacy of conquest that cannot be ignored. They also bring exotic new weapons with them called guns. While these metal and wooden sticks are seemingly harmless, but when triggered, they explode with a force that is unmatched, even with magic. It would be wise to hire them as mercenaries or drive out the invaders.

• Brohoof 4

• 1 year later...

Good thinking. I like the pitch.

I was anticipating something similar once, but I think there is one problem that seems apparently insurmountable - 3d pony models. I have never seen any kind of MLP mod that could successfully implement pony 3d models or animations thereof into the game, for whatever reason (I'm not a 3d animator or designer so I have absolutely no idea how it might be done anyway). And without believable 3d visuals, I fear such a mod wouldn't really work. I know that visuals are not the core of a game; I have the Equestria mod for Vicky II, for instance. It's absolutely great and all, but yet all in-game Equestrian forces are humans in red uniforms. It's kinda offputting.

But what am I saying? I have no idea how this works. Maybe it's simpler than it looks. But still, no one has ever done it before. Someone should certainly do it though. (Dutch-Gryphonian Colonial War FTW!)

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry for my English)

This idea is bucking awesome!

I`ve already had this idea too, by playing Empire: Total War. I`ve already drawn a map of the campaign-landscape, Just with other Fractions too. Like Trottland (United Pony-Provinces), Japon, Germaneigh, Flankreich (Prance), Mareway (Scandinavia in Real Life),  Griffon Kingdom, Saddle Arabia (which is like the Ottomans), Hooviet Union, United Cities of Tramplevania (Austria in real life) with "ponified" cities etc. Even units like "Brony mercenaries" and stuff.

But like DanTheMan said, the 3d models/animations, would be an BIG problem. 

I hope the idea of an "MLP: Total War" mod would eventually implemented.

But I have no idea too, how it works, I can`t even draw a Pony :okiedokielokie:

I would support this idea.But no humans, ever. I do not support placing humanity in the same realm of existence as pony, but other than that,I would play a total war mod about the celestial sisters civil war.  

Get rid of the humans, maybe add a zebra faction and I will support it.

Bah, you killjoys!

Humans and Ponies waging some kind of conflict has long since become an institution in the bronydom. As evidenced by the Human section on Fimfiction.

I for one, welcome the clash of nature and ideology, with fantastic, romanticist equines duking it out with the pragmatic, enlightened humans.

'Tis a conflict that is as endearingly dramatic and poetically powerful as it is action-packed. It would at least make a hell of an awesome Battle Report!

Edited by DanTheMan

Bah, you killjoys!

Humans and Ponies waging some kind of conflict has long since become an institution in the bronydom. As evidenced by the Human section on Fimfiction.

I for one, welcome the clash of nature and ideology, with fantastic, romanticist equines duking it out with the pragmatic, enlightened humans.

'Tis a conflict that is as endearingly dramatic and poetically powerful as it is action-packed. It would at least make a hell of an awesome Battle Report!

I would be ok with humans but, It just doesn't make that much sense to me. Are you just going to call the faction "humans" or are you going to choose a country

I would be ok with humans but, It just doesn't make that much sense to me. Are you just going to call the faction "humans" or are you going to choose a country

In my headcanon, they would consist of a nation called Mandria. B)

Otherwise... Britain, maybe? I mean, they were the leading discoverers and colonialists of their time...

Edited by DanTheMan

• 3 weeks later...

Why not just: The Human Empire, because hey, if you want to be logical, before invading Equestria .... I think that they will conquers Earth anyway XD.

• 2 months later...

But u can easily replace humans with "strangers"... I mean Equestria is on a continent.... Who knows what lies on another....Maybe a pony-sation of Europe. The whole New world scenarion again---> I mean this would look awsome(for me at least)

post-19589-0-36245200-1400601423_thumb.png

Imagine a line battle of these guys...with cannons and all.

• 9 months later...

You guys may or may not have heard that CA leaked information that the next Total War may be set in the Warhammer-verse.

Yeah, I may have been tearing my hair out in frustration for a couple of hours upon hearing this, having been praying for a sign of Victoria: Total War, or at least Medieval 3...

But then I noticed the clouds' silver lining:
Now, I'm not at all familiar with Warhammer, but from what I've heard, doesn't it feature units like those?
img-3581534-1-img1687so0.jpg

Or these?
img-3581534-2-uni2.jpg

Or those?
img-3581534-3-griffin-white.jpg

Mythological beasts?

Exotic equines?

Flying units?

Not to mention standard fare like dragons and changelings...

Could that mean that CA might open up the resources necessary for a qualitative MLP modification? Is this the chance for a MLP: Total War to finally grow (literal) wings?

Fillies and gentlecolts... it's entirely possible!

Edited by DanTheMan