Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Word

Shanks

Die.

It's my favorite word because of what it means in German. Despite sounding like a dark word in English, in German, it simply means "the"

Like Die Glocke, which was a German weapon, sounds so brutal, but then when you translate it to English, it's just The Bell.

• Brohoof 1

Here are some of my favorite words:

• Decipher
  • Rain
  • Ice
  • Blade
  • Regard
  • Sweet
  • Freeze

...And here are some of my least favorites:

• Finish
  • Finger
  • Job

I can't say I have any particular favorite English word, but if I'd to choose, then let it be baloney :)

(Also I recommend you this website, wordnik.com, a must-have for any word-lover :) )

Actually, I pretty much love many of those English words with no clear etymology which express confusion, ridiculeness, absurdity etc., such as: bedazzled, bamboozled, conundrum, shenanigans, doohickey, hogwash, flabbergasted, gobbledegook, skulduggery, because they intrigue me. I'm a type of pony who wants to know what is the true meaning of the word and where did it come from. Studying etymology can tell us very much about words, help us understand them better instead of just repeating them like a parrot to get a cracker. It can be surprising sometimes. E.g did you know that the word "career" is related to the French word "carrière" which means a quarry, the place of carving stones? Think of it next time you'll want to make a career ;)

Oh, I've just remembered, there's one more I like: FNORD :)

My favourite word is odyssey. Something about this word sounds grand, similar to the epic poem Homer's Odyssey. I'm also very fond of the words magician and galaxy.

There is a guy who claims that the word Odyssey is not genuinely Greek (Ὀδύσσεια, 'Odysseia), but is a borrow word from Macedonian (Homer did many such borrows), which has Slavic roots. He traced it down to the Slavic root words "od" and "do", meaning motion "from" and "towards". When combined into "oddo" or "odo", they mean a movement from one point to another, a trip. It is a stem for such Proto-Slavic words as "odit'" or "hodit'" (to walk, to wander), and finally the Greek "hodos" or "'odos" (road, path, way). So the Odyssey was not just a random title, but a perfect description of the story: the big travel. Also the name of its main character is not just a random proper name, but a description of a man who is traveling a lot. 'Odis or Hodis can be understood in Slavic as "you walk", "you wander". (The apostrophe before O is not accidental: it is how the Greek denoted that the "o" has to be pronounced with more emphasis, exhaling some air before it, which is spelled with "h" instead in other languages.)

Well, it used to be hijinx. I mean, just look at it. It's the most ridiculous looking word, with three dotted letters in a row, and an x.

How about a Polish word made up of only genuinely Polish letters with diacritics? (all with dots and dashes): żółć :) It means "bile", the yellow-ish secrete of the liver. It's related to the Polish word for yellow color: żółty.

I could tell you some more funny Polish words, but I guess it might be hard for you to pronounce unless you know how to pronounce the particular Polish letters and their combinations. (Perhaps I could record some samples if you wish.)

There's one funny word in German, though:

sig-4079876.sig-4079876.ausfahrt-550x275

Pronounced like English "ass fart" :D

Some say it is the biggest city in Germany, because all roads seem to lead to it ;)

(The truth is though that it's just a common word which means "exit", i.e. from a highway ;) )

Nowacking (Jessi Nowack) had a funny incident with it one day :)

Edited by SasQ

There is a guy who claims that the word Odyssey is not genuinely Greek (Ὀδύσσεια, 'Odysseia), but is a borrow word from Macedonian (Homer did many such borrows), which has Slavic roots. He traced it down to the Slavic root words "od" and "do", meaning motion "from" and "towards". When combined into "oddo" or "odo", they mean a movement from one point to another, a trip. It is a stem for such Proto-Slavic words as "odit'" or "hodit'" (to walk, to wander), and finally the Greek "hodos" or "'odos" (road, path, way). So the Odyssey was not just a random title, but a perfect description of the story: the big travel. Also the name of its main character is not just a random proper name, but a description of a man who is traveling a lot. 'Odis or Hodis can be understood in Slavic as "you walk", "you wander". (The apostrophe before O is not accidental: it is how the Greek denoted that the "o" has to be pronounced with more emphasis, exhaling some air before it, which is spelled with "h" instead in other languages.)

Woah, that's very interesting! I never knew any of this before. But now that I know, I have more of a appreciation for the word odyssey, seeing as how I'm fond of words that relate to journeys. Thanks for telling me this! :D

At this very moment in time?

Bacchanalian

Partly because of the god of parties and partly because its a flippin awesome word

Vituperation / Vituperative would be my second favorite, but these two switch round often

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...