Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

10 years prison + 1 mil $ fine for Iphone jailbreak

khaine21x3

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/01/the-most-ridiculous-law-of-2013-so-far-it-is-now-a-crime-to-unlock-your-smartphone/272552/

I've always preached that apple is up to no good with it's tracking softwares , but now I'm actually quite ecstatic about this LAW that will affect several other countries if they bow to US pressure as Apple users are finally gonna get what they deserved for supporting inhumane working conditions and police state architecture.

They're finally going to get the same punishment as a terrorist.

Sounds quite over the top for something like this, I understand it does bypass apples agreement terms and stuff like that, but it seems a bit harsh for something as small and simple as that.

To quote something a wise man once said "fuck the government", seriously it is laws like this that prove that the government is completely in the pocket of wall street. If you alter what is your own personal property you can go to prison but if a bunch of criminal bankers rip people off with derivatives and other ponzi schemes which causes the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression and they get bailed out because they are "too big to fail". America is supposed to be a republic not some corporatist plutocratic joke of a banana republic posing as a free country.

• Brohoof 4

@,

Yea but cmon they totally deserve what's coming and anyone with a bit of sense knew it was coming when Apple put tracking softwares and keyloggers inside all their products and that is seriously creepy.I totally called it and was called a crazy conspiracy theorist.

They can totally enforce this law as each apple product has a built in tracking software and other spywares.

Wow, this is ridiculous. Americans should be able to unlock their phones to any company they like. But I know what you're saying. My dad kept asking questions like, "It's only for NEW phones?" It is pretty confusing, but I do not agree with it that much. At least apple will be brought to justice. -_-

Huh, the law seems to affect any smartphone not just Apples. Although I bet you Apple had a lot to do with it. Well I don't care come on try and track me lol. Because I never install anything or go online with my phone :P

But the tracking thing was one of many reasons I have been divorcing myself from Apple. The only thing I have now is my Ipod and thats only because short of buying an Archos tablet or carrying a pc with me its the only hing that can contain all my music.

Edited by Fridge

It's important to remember that this seems to affect all smart phones, not just Apple products.  To be honest, I suppose that this new regulation is just a natural extension of the provisions in the DMCA.  Until that gets repealed or massively overhauled we should be expecting more things like this.

And, of course, I have to point out that 10 years in prison and a $1,000,000 fine is utterly ridiculous.  In some states, some types of murder carry lesser sentences than that.

PS: It is odd that this regulation was put in place by the Librarian of Congress.  I'll never trust those old back-stackers again...

Edited by Starswirl the Goateed
  • Brohoof 1

Huh, it seems to affect any smartphone not just Apples. Although I bet you Apple had a lot to do with it. Well I don't care come on try and track me lol. Because I never install anything or go online with my phone :P

It's a first party software by Apple so it's already in there if you own an Iphone/Macintosh laptop/Ipad.You can google it and they even showed in a video on youtube of their HQ and all the little dots on the globe of iphone locations.

It's a first party software by Apple so it's already in there if you own an Iphone/Macintosh laptop/Ipad.You can google it and they even showed in a video on youtube of their HQ and all the little dots on the globe of iphone locations.

Good thing I'm with HTC then, although I'm saying by any stretch they're innocent.

I have to admit I've been suspect of Apple for a while now, especially when I found out about their data servers being based in Israel.

Actually, Jailbreaking iPhones is legal (though jailbreaking iPads is not). This law is about unlocking your phone so that it can be used on carriers other than the one it was bought from, on the grounds that doing so increases its value and thus allows you to make profit by selling someone else's work, without needing their permission. It's just the most recent in a long series of legal decisions where the government (in this case a single unelected official within the government made the decision, but it's also not the only example) reacts to a small portion of a product/action's potential uses are illegal, so they ban the product.

I personally would say that this is on behalf of the carriers like Verizon and Sprint rather than the manufacturers, they would lose your ongoing payments if you decided to switch, and the fact that you would now have to pay to replace your phone is a slight bump on that path. VERY slight.

• Brohoof 3

Well I guess they'll *really* need a Jailbreak now, after being sent to prison. :lol:

Seriously, though, this makes no sense.  I honestly don't understand the rationale behind this.

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 2

Wow and governments are showing they're more concerned about customizing your phone than they are about the real problems, what is wrong with humanity now?

• Brohoof 2

@,

Yea but cmon they totally deserve what's coming and anyone with a bit of sense knew it was coming when Apple put tracking softwares and keyloggers inside all their products and that is seriously creepy.I totally called it and was called a crazy conspiracy theorist.

They can totally enforce this law as each apple product has a built in tracking software and other spywares.

Even if you could argue that they deserved it which even they don't these kinds of laws set a very dangerous precedent where virtually anyone could go to prison for even slightly altering any product they buy for any reason. All a company needs to do is argue that their copyright is being violated by it and its straight to the slammer for average Joe/Jane blow. And it is not just Apple tracking people this way by the way all the major tech companies are doing it they are all in league with big brother though Apple and Google are the worst.

Well wow.

I am so happy to live in Canada. I doubt this affects us. Even if I have a samsung. 

This is the stupidest law ever. I'm sorry America, but what the fuck has been with you guys recently?

(edited)

@,

People don't care enough about their freedoms these days which is why they buy Apple and use social networking site such as Facebook and Twitter.All they have to do is boycott those corporations till they collapse to send a message to the other corporate 'persons' but I'm sure that people won't really care and continue supporting corporations like Apple.

They don't even need to force people into the camps or forcibly implement a police state these days, people are willingly giving up their freedoms for mere entertainment.

They won't need to forcibly implement RFID chip into people either since everyone will be using a phone that has a tracking device in the future as the younger generation just don't give a buck.

Edited by khaine21x3

Meanwhile, in a US Penitentiary

Prisoner #1: so what you in here for?

Prisoner #2: Jailbreaking

Prisoner#3: whoa that is so hardcore, how many guards and cops did you kill?

Prisoner #2: none

prisoner#1: well that's still pretty impressive, where'd you break out from?

Prisoner #2: well actually I merely unlocked my Iphone

Prisoner #3: dafuq? how long you gonna be in here?

Prisoner #2: 10 years and I have to pay a million dollar fine

prisoner #1: I raped a child and I ain't even gonna be in here that long or pay the victim

Prisoner #3: I threatened the president and I'm only getting 5

Prisoner #2: Well boys, it's time to plan a real jailbreak, kill some guards and hijack a ride.

• Brohoof 7

Actually, Jailbreaking iPhones is legal (though jailbreaking iPads is not). This law is about unlocking your phone so that it can be used on carriers other than the one it was bought from, on the grounds that doing so increases its value and thus allows you to make profit by selling someone else's work, without needing their permission. It's just the most recent in a long series of legal decisions where the government (in this case a single unelected official within the government made the decision, but it's also not the only example) reacts to a small portion of a product/action's potential uses are illegal, so they ban the product.

I personally would say that this is on behalf of the carriers like Verizon and Sprint rather than the manufacturers, they would lose your ongoing payments if you decided to switch, and the fact that you would now have to pay to replace your phone is a slight bump on that path. VERY slight.

This right here.

Wow I love the negative Apple bashing going on in here. This goes for all smartphones, not just Apple ones. And the topic title is misleading because this has nothing to do with jailbreaking/rooting, just unlocking from your carrier. This is just another step in a long line of things carries in the USA impose on their customers. In the USA you don't own your phone, the phone company owns you and your phone as soon as you sign that contract. Even if you pay the full price for the phone, good luck getting them to unlock it so you can use it elsewhere like they are required to by law in other countries. Did you know Verizon is probably going to stop subsidizing your phones in the next year or so? That means if you want that shiny new Droid, you're going to have to fork over the $700 on top of the plan cost and any other fees they decide to tack on. BUT the phone still won't be yours because it will be locked to Verizon and Verizon alone.

Oh and I hate to break it to you all, but every single smartphone (dumb phones as well for that matter) can be tracked no matter the brand or carrier. So no, you are not "safer" by going with an HTC or Nokia.

And before I get accused of being a "fanboy", yes I have Apple products but my current phone is a Galaxy Note 2, my PC is a custom built rig, and my tablet is a Nexus 7. I go with what I decide to be best at the time of purchase.

Edited by Puddlejumper

(edited)

@,

Well I can't seem to find the exact writing of the law to determine that but a lot of sites are claiming that it includes jailbreaking an Iphone.I'm not sure if they're both part of the same DMCA law or different laws.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/could-you-go-to-jail-for-jailbreaking-your-iphone/

"Under copyright law, Apple would have the right to claim statutory
damages of up to $2,500 “per act of circumvention.” People who jailbreak
phones might even be subject to criminal penalties of as long as five
years
, if they circumvented copyright for a financial gain."

They can track older phones but not as accurately as modern phones and they can't keylog or bug an older phone, there are also lots of oldschool ways to prevent phone tracking if you really don't want the government to track you.

Edited by khaine21x3

This makes me sick.

What ever happened to the rights of life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness that the constitution promised? You know, the rights that all humans are entitled too? The ones that the government is supposed to protect? All part of the social contract?

America is losing sight of what it truly is. It's so focused on the details, it's unable look at the bigger picture:

The people of America are slowly having their rights taken away from them, and nobody seems to care...

• Brohoof 5

Wow, that's absurd. You should be able to do whatever you want with your phone, breaking a contract with Apple should be something Apple punishes you for, not an actual crime.

Edit: Hmmm, seems I replied too hastily. The law was designed to prevent people from paying minimal sums for their phones and then unlocking the phones before the service providers could earn any money back, thus getting a $600 phone for maybe $60. STill, 10 years prison seems way too harsh.

Edited by Goose

This makes me sick.

What ever happened to the rights of life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness that the constitution promised? You know, the rights that all humans are entitled too? The ones that the government is supposed to protect? All part of the social contract?

America is losing sight of what it truly is. It's so focused on the details, it's unable look at the bigger picture:

The people of America are slowly having their rights taken away from them, and nobody seems to care...

The people fell asleep and a bunch of treasonous filth took them away under the guise of "security" the "common good" or whatever other excuse they could come up with. But now more and more people are waking up and it will only be a matter of time before they are thrown in the same rape cages they have thrown countless innocent people in.