Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you had to change your name?

I_wesley125

MIRACLE THREAD for transgenders.

I like Catherine, Ashley, and Shauna when it comes to names. Have to deal with being called by a masculine name for now... It's saddening. I'd take a name change in a heartbeat. I'd feel a little freer.

• Brohoof 2

I'll let everypony in on a secret.  I've never told anyone this before, but I really hate my name.  All of them, actually.  First, middle, last.  I seriously wish I could change them, but apart from being a massive hastle, I feel like it would be a dagger in the heart to my parents.  I just feel like it would be so hurtful.  They picked my names because they loved them, after all.  Idk, maybe once they're not around, I'll think about it.  But I feel like it would never sit well with my friends, like it would never stop being weird.

As for what I would change it to...I think I'd go with....Aloysius P. Snodgrass III.  Naw, but, seriously, idk.

I said this awhile ago.  I actually decided to spill the beans and talk to my parents about it.  They're totally fine with it.  Their feelings aren't hurt at all.  I picked out a new name, and I was actually pretty on board and determined to do it.  I went to the US court website to get all the information one needs to get started.  Suffices to say, I will not be changing my name.

I was really dissapointed to find out that it would be far easier to erase my identity, wipe every trace of my existence from the grid, and become the faceless man from Braavos than to change my name.  It's a nightmare.  Let me just give you a taste.  There's four stages--it's something like "petition to change name", "declaration of something or other", "finalization of declaration of petition of something or other", and "final decree of something or other".  At each stage you have to have to jump through tons of hoops, have your signatures witnesses by a notary public, have stuff signed by a magistrate something or other, beg forgivness from Judge Gabranth, kneel before the King beyond the Wall, retrieve the seven lost tablets from the seven underground shrines, etc.  But that's the easy part.  This is where it gets tricky.  (I'll stop joking now)

Ok, you need two separate background checks before your petition for name change willl be considered.  A federal, and a state.  I didn't even realize that there are 52 local bureaus of investigation.  You need both CURRENT background checks attached to your petition when you hand it in to the court.  This is completely your own responsibility to get the checks.  Here's where it gets really tricky.  Both background checks must be within 90 days when you hand in the petition.  The FBI check takes much longer than the state.  The state takes about a month.  The federal can take up to three months.  Sometimes more, as there's often delays.  You have to sync them up.  You have to order the fed check, then wait about two months, THEN order the state, and hope to the deity of your choice that they arrive at about the same time.  If there's a big delay, and they don't sync up, it's easy for one to expire, and if one of them is even one day over 90, it's ALL FOR NOTHING.  You have to start from scratch, and that means paying all the fees again, and waiting months!  And it's not cheap, either.  The initial petition alone is $100.  And even if you get past all of this, the judge can still deny your petition if she/he doesn't think your reason for the name change is good enough.

But wait--there's more!  If, IF it all goes through and the final bell tolls, you then have to contact your local newspaper's office and have them publish your new name THREE times within 21 days of the change.  (I guess they have a section dedicated to notifying the public of name changes.  I guess.)  It's your responsibility, and should you fail to get three publishings, as I understand it, your name goes back to what it was, and the WHOLE THING IS ERASED.  F*ck, dude.

Forget it.  Just screw it.  I was so disappointed.  I really wanted to do it.  But not enough to go through that hell.  I decided that when I meet someone new, I'm just going to introduce myself as the name I want.  I've always dreaded introducing myself because of my name.  It affects my confidence.  Why should I have to do that?  The only reason I should have to use my legal name is for a job interview (which I'll probably never do again), or just filling out a legal form.  If I introduce myself to a woman I want to date, I'm using the name I want, then I'll just explain it to her on the second date or something.  Hopefully she'll understand and not think I'm a maniac, and hopefully she'll get used to calling me the name I want.

MIRACLE THREAD for transgenders.

I like Catherine, Ashley, and Shauna when it comes to names. Have to deal with being called by a masculine name for now... It's saddening. I'd take a name change in a heartbeat. I'd feel a little freer.

I like Catherine. It's your name, don't let me influence you, but I like Catherine. I'm biased against Ashley personally, but that's just because it makes me think of someone I used to know.

I would probably go with a nickname of mine, Cheru. I've actually considered changing my name to this in the past. I don't identify very strongly with my actual given name. I don't think it suits me. It's not a bad name by any means, but my image of the name is a very posh, high-class kind of girl. And I'm a lazy, slobby agender person. That's the other thing is that my real name is clearly gendered. I'd like to go with something gender-neutral. So, I guess, that'd be my name. I don't really see a reason to change my last name, so I'd never thought as to what it would be if I did. I've always seen myself as having the last name I currently have and other than pen names, I've had no desire to change it.

I plan on changing it to Jackie at some point, being that I'm trans and would like a feminine sounding name. 

However, Washington requires that you get a sex change in order to change every record of your name, but the jokes on them: Jackie is the male spelling and is naturally feminine! BWAHAHAHA!

Change it to what my parents would've named me: Nayah, or just re-spell it to Naia. They said it was from the Mission Impossible movie, if anybody knows.

I can't recall if I've posted here...

Honestly, I'd probably change to Mavis. I find it to be a very pretty name.

However, now that I think about it, if I wanted a gender neutral name due to me being genderfluid...

Perhaps Bailey, Jade, Skye, or just Terry(This is the male name I go by)...

Hm. I quite like Skye. This topic has made me think.

Am I the only one here who likes my name and doesn't want to change it? Peter comes from the Greek Cephas, which means rock. I just like the name Peter. :)

Buuuuut...would changing my name to Soarin' temporarlily be creepy? ;)

Temporarlily? I'm horrible at spelling.

• 3 years later...

I wouldn't ever wanna change my name, but if I really had to....I always kinda liked the name Lacey. :P Or Cheyenne, or maybe Lori. Which is a shortened version of my irl name, Lauren. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Being transgender, I've had a lot of time to think about what to change my name to when the time comes. Unfortunately, I've yet to decide on what name I like best. :mlp_laugh:

Also, I'm planning on moving to Japan someday to spend the rest of my days there. So I'm aiming for a Japanese name. Currently I use the name Satori as the first name for my pen name. But I have considered using that name for real life. The other names that I like are Youko and Yukari. As for what kanji I would use to spell those names, I'm still thinking about that.

But if I wasn't going with a Japanese name, then the names I would lean towards would be Agatha, Sabrina or Martha.

Edit - Oh yeah! I also like the name Ashley! Mostly because of this song: :-P

Spoiler

Edited by Treeglow Flicker

I'd change my name to Vernon, as that was my grandfather's name. I only met him when I was three years old and he passed away before I could see him again. 

I like my real name just fine and it suits me. But, just for fun, if I were to change it I’d like to try something like Olivia, or Sarah, or Sandy. They all sound pretty and have elegant, interesting and fun connotations to them.

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted to change my first name to "Gary" because Gary's always been my favourite character in Canis Canem Edit (which is, in case you haven't heard of it, pretty much GTA but based in a highschool).

Edited by BulkyBright