Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alcohol discussion: pick your poison

Gummy

I'm not 21+ yet, but I can't seem to get enough of that Angry Orchard hard cider. I've tried little sips of it here and there and it's sooooooooo good. :please: I've never actually had a whole bottle, gotta wait a few more years for that. :laugh: That and Bud Light. :sealed:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Well, let's see! Not 21 yet, but I was recently overseas and was of legal age to drink there.

Beer: I hate every one that I've tried! :yuck:

Liquor: Hmmm, gin is probably #1 for me, followed by vodka, rum, then tequila (rarely, since it hits like a truck haha)

Wine: I like sangria the best, but between red and white, I like white the best!

Fav Liqueurs, Bailey's Irish Cream, Tia Maria, and Limoncello

My fav mixed drinks: Pimm's, Mojito, Gin and Tonic, Marguerita, Bramble, and Long Island Iced Tea

:muffins:

I like just about anything, but for whatever reason, I tend to really enjoy hard liquor and spirits more than others seem to.

My favorite is absinthe, a drink that has a bad rap in most places as the drink of choice for the mad, depraved, and disturbed. In fact, the drink was illegal here in the states until 2007. To explain why, I'll have to go into a little detail about a few unique properties of the drink itself. Absinthe is strong... very strong. Like lowest proof I've seen in real absinthe is 120, which is 60% alcohol by volume, and I've seen as high as 180 proof. It's not meant to be drank neat, and there's a whole "absinthe ritual" you're supposed to go through to dilute it. After this process is complete, the liquid turns from being clear and green to a cloudy greenish-milky color that we refer to as the "louche". Back in the 1800's, though, you could tell a cheap absinthe because the ingredients used were either cheaply prepared or in such small quantities, that this color change never took place. So what did cheap companies do? They'd throw in toxic copper salts that made this color change occur. These salts caused those who made a habit of getting drunk off cheap absinthe a multitude of problems: including hallucinations (which is why absinthe is often called "the green fairy"), madness, seizures, comas, and death. A few of them even went completely bonkers and went on murdering sprees. These absinthe-fueled drug-murders were blamed on the wormwood used in the distilling process (which does release very trace amounts of a toxic substance when distilled, though not enough to harm you), and absinthe was banned across Europe and the United States.

Since then its reputation has never really recovered despite being legalized once again. If you even look at any mixed drinks made with absinthe, you'll notice that even the things mixed with absinthe will have some sort of dark tone to them, with drinks such as "Wharf Rat", "Root of All Evil", and "Death in the Afternoon".

Still, if you're looking for something different, and you enjoy the taste of anise (black licorice), with a bit of mint and an almost fruity aftertaste; I'd highly recommend a dance with the green fairy. But just be warned, her spell is quite potent (even after the absinthe ritual). I've introduced a few friends to it before, and all but one's first experience has been "awww, I can handle it!", taking one shot of it neat (which I don't recommend), and then in about 20 minutes being completely floored as I watch the fairy work her magic and completely kick their flanks... not that they can remember it the next day most of the time, anyway.

As far as brands go, I'd say skip the stuff like Lucid, that's just cheap stuff they sell to people so they can say they've tried it. Cheapest brand I buy is St. George's, which some aficionados may say is not real absinthe due to it being distilled with star anise rather than the traditional green anise, but it has a good taste especially when compared to cheaper brands, and is made in the same way, so for all intents and purposes, it's absinthe. My favorite brand, however, is Pernod, which is about 15 bucks more expensive, but is well worth it. Though, I tend to save that for special occasions, and St. George's for sharing with friends.

absinthe-glasses-e1479998698435.jpg

Edited by Hocus Pocus

• 4 years later...

I'm not really a drinker, but if I am drinking for whatever reason, I generally perfer something like scotch or rum. Flavoured stuff is good too.

Huge Stout/Ale and Whiskey/rum drinker. I have specific for stout beer though, I prefer Dragon Milk. It actually taste as it said, coffee and dark chocolate. I tried other ones but so far none has reach my favorite. Still enjoyed the others though if Dragon milk aren’t available. As for whisky and rum, I would try them all if I could. I’d love it either way. I don’t care for a shot, since I’m pretty much a tolerant heavy drinker. But yes I do know my limits despite of loving heavy strong liquor. Although for some reason loving strong liquor I never once touch tequila. But I guess  it was never in my interest to taste it. :please: Since I prefer strong but flavorful liquors.

I rarely drink. I only do so when I am attending a something significant like our family Christmas party.

My alcoholic drinks must be incredibly sweet. I am talking so sweet that you cannot taste the alcohol. Sweet drinks I like include Seagram’s Escapes, Baileys Irish Cream, and Ozeki Strawberry Nigori Cloudy Sake.

Well, I don't like alcohol. Assume that I don't drink alcohol at all and you are already very close to the truth. There are some times when I choose to drink to share a celebrated moments with other people but they come very rarely and I never drink alone. I'm more the tea guy

and  yes this also means I'm a German who doesn't like to drink beer :o