Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you want MLP to be uber mainstream?

khaine21x3

MLP mainstream  

48 users have voted

1. 1. Do you want MLP to be uber mainstream?

• Yes
    • No

I thought it was already uber mainstream. I mean the signs are evident. They sell a lot of MLP things at Hot Topic and Hot Topic is known for selling mainstream things and trying to make them appear underground. Also i'm usually the last person to here about something and when i do it has been uber mainstream for at least 6 months.

Currently it's more popular on the internet, I'm fine with that, although it can make us receive certain unwanted attention from certain people. It's pretty good as it is, I wouldn't want everyone to watch the show, it'd ruin it for me imo :V

• Brohoof 1

No, MLP shouldn't got super mainstream, because it'll become all trendy and crap like nightmare before christmas. I hate the fact that a movie i grew up watching as a little kid is now some stupid fashion trend that mall kids eat up like candy.

btw, being a brony isn't mainstream bcuz if it was, bronies wouldn't be trolled all the time. Now, i agree that it would be done to death and all. infact, alot of the original fanbase would fall to pieces because of it going mainstream, just like Nightmare Before Christmas.

Besides, I like the fact that bronies aren't mainstream. because if they were, i wouldn't be a brony. being a brony is my outcry against gender stereotype. in other words, i can prove that you're still a masculine guy that drinks beer, eats red meat, and plays tackle football with peeps. now, if it was mainstream... then everyone would be a brony.

Edited by zombronie
  • Brohoof 2

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic being the new Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Twilight, or Honey Boo Boo? Bronies are already half-famous, half-famous. No.

I prefer it not to be. Love the show, but seeing it even more often than it already is and all the "cool kids" trying to be hip with it would get old.

Edited by Dismajo

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic being the new Kardashians, Justin Bieber, Twilight, or Honey Boo Boo? Bronies are already half-famous, half-famous. No.

Mainstream doesn't mean bad.. The Simpsons was mainstream because it was great. There is a fine line between "mainstream" and "lowest common denominator". There's plenty of "mainstream" things that are great. Everyone I knew fell in love with Skyrim. It was the big game that everyone was talking about.. Now should it be somehow deemed worse because of public acceptance. I don't like any of those things (Though I think a lot of the Bieber hate is senseless) but it's not a good mindset to dismiss anything popular as bad.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

Mainstream doesn't mean bad.. The Simpsons was mainstream because it was great. There is a fine line between "mainstream" and "lowest common denominator". There's plenty of "mainstream" things that are great. Everyone I knew fell in love with Skyrim. It was the big game that everyone was talking about.. Now should it be somehow deemed worse because of public acceptance. I don't like any of those things (Though I think a lot of the Bieber hate is senseless) but it's not a good mindset to dismiss anything popular as bad.

I see your point 100%. My fear is that it would just get hyped up to irritating proportions. I really should have compared it to Nightmare Before Christmas as someone else did. That would have suited it better. 

Edited by Dismajo

I feel disappointing that there is no "I truly do not give a buck" option, but I voted for "yes" just because I wouldn't mind it that much and it would mean that there were more bronies to talk to. As long as the show itself isn't changed for the worse, I could not care less.

This 100%. As long as I enjoy the show, than I don't really care if it becomes more mainstream or not. It wouldn't affect how I view the show at all.

• Brohoof 1

Eww. What the f*ck? NO. Why would anyone want to make it mainstream? That's like saying, "Would you want to make ____ mainstream so people can pretend they like it to fit in?" That's the same reason I wouldn't want the music I listen to (death metal/black metal), to become mainstream. It would decay and die, if MLP (and a lot of other shows and music genres) were to go uberly mainstream.

Edited by Neighvana666
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it's already pretty mainstream, but no. I would not want it to become uber mainstream. I like the popularity of the show just the way it is right now.

I really would dislike to see the show become uber mainstream. Things that become mainstream are affected negativity by it getting too popular and I don't want the show to turn out like that. :S

I also like it not being mainstream because I like that feeling that you get when you like something that most don't, it gives me that another way i feel unique, :P

When something gets mega popular it feels like it loses it's meaning, and for My Little Pony I think it will end the subculture that is the bronies if My Little Pony became super mega popular. Bronies were about people standing up against social norms and liking something because it's good, not because you're supposed to like it or that it's popular. If My Little Pony became uber mainstream, doesn't that just kind of ruin the message bronies were trying to spread?

Also my friend who seems to only like mainstream things has started watching the show now, which for me means "oh it's popular now, it's going to get overexposed. GG I'm out."

Making it more mainstream faces a couple of potential problems.

1) Overexposure. Yeah, we want to get the word out, but after a while overexposure could create a huge backlash and kill interest in the show. We don't want that.

2) Selling out. When something becomes that big, you risk losing the focus of the show in trying to please this brand new audience. Then you start to lose sight of what made the show so unique in the first place.

I didn't vote because there wasn't a "doesn't matter to me" option.  I'll continue to love MLP and the community regardless as long as the community continues to actually hear the message of the show, not just liking it because "it's cool".  I guess that could be termed as mainstream, but I think of mainstream meaning widely popular. 

I only want MLP to be MLP. Any peripheral or coterminous shows, movies, games, or merchandise that come along are fine so long as they remain faithful to the show that spawned them. Even if they aren't they'll likely flop and be forgotten, affecting nothing. If you like any of these things, great. If you don't like something that pops up that's based on MLP, such as this rumored Equestria Girls thing, then pretend it didn't happen and move on rather than declaring MLP dead or swearing an undying hatred for whoever is responsible.

As for mainstream popularity, I don't care; that goes for anything I like. Most of the public and popular culture will always view us as abnormal so I don't see us ever moving off the fringe regardless of our numbers. The brony fandom seems fragmented enough based on tastes in media, forum preferences (the differences between MLP Forums, Reddit, 4chan, etc.), and their reactions to changes in the show that I don't think we'll ever find one group overshadowing another; bronies can't even form a mainstream for the fanbase itself.

Let the show and fandom guide itself and be content with wherever it ends up.

I don't really want it were everyone likes MLP to the point where its just annoying, id like MLP and the bronies to be more socially accepted, so I could buy some merch without getting weird looks and wear it at my school without getting harassed

-yes, I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but that is easier said than done-

The show is already mainstream, at least as far as its intended audience.

To make the show more mainstream in the general consciousness, Hasbro would have to change how they market it. Personally, I'm all for that. The more 'mainstream' the show, the more people being exposed its moral lessons, which are just as applicable to adults as they are to the intended audience (perhaps even more so.)

What I don't like is the idea of is it being product-ized -- tons of MLP branded products that have nothing to do with the message of the show. Maybe you can't have one without the other unless of course it's some sort of long term grassroots movement. But that would require a large and cohesive community pushing the message of the show.

Anyone know where we might find one of those? ;)

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...