Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on romantic fanfiction?

Dreadmallon

I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts on MLP:FiM fanfictions in the "romantic" genre.

For me I like it, but I can't really create it, or any romance fanfiction for that matter, because I'm clueless there.

Eh I dunno really, never read much in the way of Romantic fanfiction, to be honest I don't read all that much fanfiction overall.

I suppose its ok, I don't have much of a solid opinion, but as long as its good I guess.

I'm also not a fan of the "Physical romance" type of thing either.

I don't have any idea how to write fanfiction.. Or rather I suck at it if I did try :P. Only thing I can really write half decent is poems, thats the only form of writing I really do anything worthwhile at.

• Brohoof 1

I love the romance fics. They can be heartwarming, hilarious, or depressing - sometimes all in one story. I can't write romance (as far as I know, anyway) so I settle for enjoying the fruits of other's labors.

• Brohoof 1

Oh romantic fanfiction

I just usually read it to laugh at all of the juicy context

Some of the stuff that goes on in all of those romance/clop fanfics

Can be quite funny actually, like I mean the way they describe things

And how well....sometimes, weird they can get

It just goes to the point to where it's actually funny to read them

On the occasion

I don't like it too much. The problem with it is that the characters generally aren't acting like they should be, or the pairings make no sense. For example, Twixie. The only Trixie shipping that works is Trixie x Me Trixie

• Brohoof 2

I'm not much into romance anywere, mainly due to the fact it is so common, most romance's are very similar too each other. Same can be said for a lot of romance and shipping fan fics.

But, there are some good ones out there, although I have not looking into Romance Fanfiction, I do like some romance movie's, not many though.

• Brohoof 1

My problem with romance fanfics is that it usually drowns any kind of story and replaces it with 2 (sometimes more) caracters telling how much they love each other and they will do anything for the other and where they just "Know" they are for each other and none of them can do no wrong... ever... becouse he/she is jesus.

In my opinion romance should be only part of the story, it must be developed subtly and without forgetting the backgrounds of the caracters and the world they are in. Also the caracters must compatible; fluttershy, no matter how kind she is, will never fall in love with a guy that tortures kittens in his free time, it just wont happen.Try to keep it kinda realistic.

Edited by Revolver Bobcat
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not one for cheesy romance or any of that stuff, and I'm definitely not one for fan-fiction, but this may very well be one of the greatest things you will ever read.

I read a lot of it, clop included. Of course it's hard to get the characters quite right and channel the spirit of the show in that context, but I have great respect for the writers who can pull it off.

Also, best pairings in the world are:

PinkieDash

RariJack

TwiSpike

LyraTails :P

I like the same things in fanfiction as in regular fiction. If there's a point to the story beyond the progression/success of the romance, then sure, I'll read a romance. If the conflict IS the romance, then there had better be some character development in there. Otherwise I am calling the fanfic police probably won't finish reading it. Not really interested in clop stuff, but to each his own I guess!

Romantic interaction in fanfiction actually opens up a lot of possibilities for writers. Inexperienced writers might get stuck in tropes, but it's interesting to see how people think ponies would interact romantically when there is practically no romance in the show.