NavelColt

38 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This episode was hard to watch, even though we all knew that the Crystal Empire was going to somehow win the Equestria Games anyways. Everytime the actual game commissioner would get into trouble, the tension kept building up until the end, when it was terminated because of her conversation with erm.. the green pony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I actually really enjoyed this episode.

I know a lot of people say that it is predictable, but I honestly thought that Ms. PeachBottom was the game's inspector by her snippy remark "Yes? What?" when she first arrived at the train station.

What fanon names can we give to that green mare? I was thinking Henrietta. Because her cutie mark is a hen.

Some folks are already calling her Chickadee, I believe her canon name is Ms. Peachbottom however. She's so pretty for her age. ^.^

• 1 month later...

I hated this episode. One of the worst in the entire series, up there with Boast Busters and Hearts and Hooves Day.

Going to copy and paste something about the episode I posted in another thread,

Games Ponies Play was painful to watch. It was dreadfully obvious from the start what was going to happen. The whole situation could have been avoided within the first few minutes using common sense. "Hey, are you the games instructor?". These gaps in logic ruin the rest of the episode. Reminds me of Equestria Girls where Twilight could have taken the crown within minutes of stepping into the human world. Also the whole claustrophobic thing was pointless

The Hub seems to constantly use footage of this episode in their advertisements, more than any other lately. Makes me wonder if it was created with that purpose partially in mind. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I really like that this episode and Just for Sidekicks take place simultaneously.

The Crystal Empire is wonderful as usual. :D However, I've never like plots based on a huge misunderstanding. It's really unpleasant to watch.

But this one ends well, and I really like to see again the Crystal Empire after we saw it a first time, during the events of the season premiere, when everypony was in panic.

Decent episode. :)

• 2 months later...

Today, I noticed that:

• Turnabout Storm, Part 1, published in October 2011, contains a joke about the protagonist’s spikey haircut looking like a “porcupine”;
  • Turnabout Storm, Part 3: Twilight, published in September 2012, covers the same timespan as the previous episode (Part 3: Phoenix) but reveals different events by following different characters who go to different places.

and then I saw Games Ponies Play, published in February 2013, which:

• contains a scene in which Rarity briefly turns Twilight Sparkle’s mane into a spikey shape and says: “Imagine her mane turned into a porcupine.”
  • covers the same timespan as the previous episode (Just for Sidekicks) but reveals different events by following different characters who go to different places.

Is Games Ponies Play a shoutout to Turnabout Storm?

(edited)

I liked how my 2 favorite ponies (Rarity and Princess Cadance) were together in this episode and I thought it was a decent episode, but there was one huge problem with it. The Mane 6 could have SIMPLY asked Ms. Peachbottom if she was the games instructor.

It's one of those episodes I find good, but is taken away from my Top Tens because of a HUGE problem with the plot that could have been avoided. Kinda like the Thomas Season 3 episode, No Joke for James. The plot of that is that James tricks Thomas into thinking he has to pull coaches, but that whole plot could have been avoided if a). Thomas' driver asked Sir Topham Hatt first or b ). James' driver told him not to trick Thomas like dat.

I think it was a good episode, but it would be better if the confusion of Ms. Peachbottom thing could have worked out better than just the Mane 6 taking her and thinking she was the Games Instructor. Or, well, if they just asked her and the REAL games instructor saw their little stuffs they were doing.. yeah.

Edited by Skarloey

• 2 months later...

This episode was decent and much better than the last episode though it's still a little dull. I think Twilight should've asked the other pony if she was the inspector or not. It was really nice to see the Crystal Empire much more peaceful than last time and not a dark, scary, and dangerous place.

• 3 months later...

A thought occurred to me today during a rewatch.

Harshwhinny makes her decision to host the games in the Crystal Empire based on Peachbottom's account of the welcome given by ponies from Ponyville, who did go through a whole pre-planned spiel about how great the Crystal Empire was, even after complaining about how she never gets the real scoop from other welcome parties in other cities doing the same thing.

Maaaaaybe she wouldn't have caught on to that just from listening to Ms. Peachbottom, but the fact that Twilight and her friends clearly aren't crystal ponies should have been suspect. Didn't she basically make her decision without meeting any crystal ponies, except the one doing her spa treatment? And Cadence, I guess, sorta. I don't think she even checked to make sure there were enough public washrooms.

On the other hoof, in real life there's some political thought put into the process of choosing a location for the Olympics, and the Crystal Empire is historically significant, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that was the real reason.

edit: oh, also when Rainbow Dash says Cloudsdale was a candidate for the games when she was a filly, wouldn't that have prevented two thirds of the population from attending? You know, clouds and all?

Edited by Nine

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

why was the CMC hiding underneath a seat on the train at the end of the episode?

nevermind, i doubled checked Just For Sidekicks, i forgot that Spike needed a reason to get on the train in the first place, so he got the CMC to go on with him, i feel silly and forgetful  :muffins:

Edited by Nikola Xerdav

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought this Episode was okay. It was a little bit stupid, that they entertained the wrong Pony, i would have found it to be more interesting, if it would have been the real one, but okay.