NavelColt

38 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Dear god, Rainbow Dash was absolutely hilarious in this episode.

Also, I loved the little bits that referenced Just for Sidekicks with the beginning and the end of the episode

A very well done episode that was creative in its interweaving of the last episode and this one, wonderful character usage and keeping with all of their personalities. We also saw a little bit of a calmer Twilight which definitely expanded her character. Every character received a fair amount of screen-time and it was very enjoyable to see the Crystal Empire appear again and play another important role for Equestria. There were laughs and small gags that made the episode that much better. Though it's not my favorite, I can honestly say this was one of the best done episodes of the season. (An excellent way to conclude the old mane six before Twilight's transformation next episode)

• Brohoof 3

meh, a faily generic plot (I mean, for crying out loud, confusing a random passerby for someone really important is the first lesson of Gerenic sitcom plots 101) that took WAAAY too long for me (seriously, for the first time ever I found myself shouting GET ON WITH IT at MLP), plus a payoff that wasn't really worth it.

4/10.

remind me again how sunlight shines out of the writing staff's every orifice, and so I shouldn't be concerned about alicorn twilight.

Edited by GrumpyMcfart
  • Brohoof 3

I really liked the continuity with JFS.

I have to admit, seeing Shining Armor as a coach was something I wasn't expecting.

Pinkie's "Nooooo...I mean yesssss..." is my new favorite quote. :)

A pretty good episode overall.

• Brohoof 2

Final thoughts:

- Rainbow Dash was 50% best-behaving character and 50% worst-behaving.

- Pinkie Pie needs to stop stealing stuff! :3
- That celebratory boom puts the Crystal EMP in Crystal Empire.

- Pinkie Pie squee, fuck yeah!

- I still don't know why that green pony's cutie mark is a chicken.

This episode was definitely a worthwhile watch. Some great antics were everywhere, and it was chock-full of generally relatable things. (The stream I was in exploded with cries of "GAK" when Pinkie jumped into the crystal mud bath.) Add a very clever parallel opening at the beginning, plus some very welcome reapparances of certain characters, and you've got me happy.

Although, I think Rainbow Dash was portrayed both really well, and really unwell. One moment she was being completely insensitive to random passers-by (I know it's part of her default character flaws, but even then she was way too so) the next she was nobly confessing her over-eagerness to make sure the Crystal Empire was chosen. Seemed a bit strange.

Pinkie Pie was really funny in this episode. The way everyone was all downcast at their cock-up, while she instead tries to offer a cinnamon bun :) And then another squee! The tour thing seemed just a tad bit overdone, though, even for somepony like Pinkie Pie who thrives on totally zany overreactions. Was still very funny :)

Part of me's a little regretful that Rarity didn't get enough of the spotlight. Rainbow Dash seemed to take that away from her. Looks like we'll not be getting that Rarity episode after all.

Al fin it's an episode jam-packed with fun and continuity. But as a stand-alone episode, I think it could have done quite a bit better. I would still definitely watch this again. A very good addition to the season.

7/10

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 4

Having 2 episodes kind of show their own perspectives at once is really great! It was fun and also we got to see what both sides did experience at the same time which was pretty awesome.

The episode was epic overall. It was funny, happy, but predictable. I knew that they did get the wrong one but meh. Great episode overall!

I hope more episodes like this might come around. :3

Great episode! It was an interesting twist that it took place at the same time as Just For Sidekicks. i knew that something was off when the "game inspector" was so happy.

And Shining best remember that Cadence is his wife :P

• Brohoof 1

Well, not a Rarity episode like some of us thought :( but still fun nonetheless.  A lot of good jokes, particularly from Pinkie Pie, and it's one of those episodes where everyone gets to have their little moment.  If you're a Rarity, Rainbow Dash, or Pinkie Pie fan you can come out of this episode satisfied. 

Revisiting scenes from Just for Sidekicks was also really clever, and I liked seeing them from another perspective.  The only problem was the way too heavy reliance on the Mistaken Identity plot.

• Brohoof 2

Seeing an episode on a 42 inch hd tv makes my little pony so much better. i havent seen previous episodes but i have got to say that this is my favorite. Seeing Shining Armor was awesome but i have to say it was kinda stupid on their part messing up the games inspector. Usually you ask people who they are before you jump to assumptions. I mean there was an episode in season 2 where they learned this didn't they? Also seeing Rainbow's dad was a nice little moment but i didnt see the mother.

• Brohoof 1

I thought how the episode crossed over with the last was really clever. As for the episode its self it was pretty cool. I was so certain that the annoyed looking Stallion at the front of the cart the mane 6 were in was the games inspector but i was mistaken.  

I thought the same thing.  :)   It was cute to see how the big ponies separated from the kids and were reunited at the end.  I still feel some kind of way that Spike wasn't invited to visit the city he had a crucial role in saving recently. 

This was the classic mistaken identity plot that almost leads to disaster but a twist at the end leads to a happy conclusion.  It wasn't a Rarity episode, as some were hoping, but it did highlight her special talents when she completed decorating Cadance's hair.  I also like how Twilight now takes a deep breath and extends a hoof out to ward off anxiety.  She continues to show the most character development, naturally.  This no longer looks like the Twilight that totally lost it in Lesson Zero. 

• Brohoof 1

That welcoming cheer/song was seriously one of the most epic mane 6 moments (minus Rarity, but she had a reason to be gone) of the entire show. Anyone else agree with me? 

Also, this is one of the prettiest episodes animation-wise. The backgrounds were all gorgeous and there were quite a few that I want to use as wallpapers. 

I was also surprised by how funny this episode was. Twilight "worrying", and literally everything to do Cadance's hair, Rainbow Dash or the "fake", claustrophobic, chicken games inspector were highlights for me. Most Pinkie Pie moments seemed really forced, but it's kind of hard to make any random Pinkie Pie jokes not forced or even funny at all if the focus isn't on her.

I know people will complain about the fake inspector being really obvious, but really, put yourself in the mane 6's mind. All they know about this pony is that she has a flowered bag. They didn't see the other pony with the flowered bag, while the audience did. The mane 6 aren't the audience, so they didn't see the real inspector. Also, they didn't know what the inspector acted like either.

This episode is continuity done very, VERY right. Overall, it's just a really fun episode.

Edited by Rarietty

I enjoyed this one.

More than Keep Calm and Flutter On, actually.  :umad:  :(

Sorry guys.

---

Review Random, spontaneous, unorganized thoughts

• I was right, this is parallel to Just For Sidekicks! AHA! That's a first for MLP FiM.
  • Pinkie was adorable, but kinda dumb in this one. Seriously.
  • Suspense, for some reason, was really high in this one. The Games Inspector was terrifying.
  • I was excited for Dashddy (bad portmanteau), but he apparently only appeared in one scene. Oh well, good enough.
  • Shining Armor was pretty good here. Glad to see his strict side, knowing he's the Capt. of the Royal Guard and all.
  • The Mane 6 each have an important role to play in this one. Yay!
  • Oh, and one of the lead ponies here was pretty much an unimportant, generic pony. She managed to have her own unique personality, though. Kudos to Dave Polsky! 
  • I dunno if the animation improved, or the Crystal Empire just has this effect on me, but this episode looked really good. 

---

Final Verdict

Nothing bad to say in this one, other than Pinkie's stupidity, which I hope won't make its way to the finale and Season 4.

Well, a 4.9/5 rating for thi one   

Edited by Bananashy

Initially I thought they were playing the previous episode. Was quite clever how the two episodes occured at the same time, but from different viewpoints. I really felt the suspense in this one too (which I think is a good thing lol).

Overall I really enjoyed this episode :D

Edited by Sam

I thought it was a decent episode.  Not my favorite, but decent.  I'm not sure that I understand the game inspector's whole reasoning behind letting the games continue there, and the moral confused me.  I don't think that it was really Dash's overeagerness that caused them to get the wrong pony.  However it had some pretty amusing moments throughout (Dashie hit the window).

• Brohoof 1

I loved this episode. Hilarious humor and a good moral.

- Rainbow Dash at her best.

- Twilight's relaxation technique.

- The whole "wrong pony" thing caught me by surprise.

- Claustrophobic pony... XD

- So... Cadance does actually rule in the Crystal Empire.

- Shinning Armor shouting orders.

- Happy crystal ponies powering up the crystal heart at the end.

- Two episodes intertwined. I loved it.

- Imagining King Sombra using his mane with crystals

Hm...

This episode was rather experimental, being the first to run parralel to another, rather than going for a straight-up two parter. And it certainly worked, with only the beginning and the end being similar to the last ep. What happened in this episode though, was very interesting. We got a glimpse of Rainbow Dash's father in a flashback, Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie, Twilight actually not freaking out for once(thank god, it was getting old), and Rarity actually getting some kind of role for once this season. The story here I thought was okay, but predictable. It was pretty funny that they grabbed the wrong pony though, and that pony was actually kind of a good character- especially with her claustrophobia, made for some good humor. Shining Armor as a gym teacher was pretty cool too, certainly made him a little less one dimensional to me. The only thing wrong here I think was the ending, which had to be the most rushed in FiM history- seriously, it wasn't good and very predictable, but, the rest of the ending being parralel with Just for Sidekicks with a cold close was excellent. Overall, Games Ponies Play was a good episode, and was certainly entertaining enough. Solid. :)

• Brohoof 6

Oh me oh my, this episode very pleasantly surprised me, and considering it employed the "misunderstanding" cliche, that's saying something!  Let's get this review going!

Well first of all, having an ensemble episode involving all of the Mane 6 once again (basically the first one we've had since "Spike At Your Service") was really great!  Being a shorter season, we haven't had too many of those this season, and that's a shame, since they're usually some of the best episodes in the show and give us a chance to see all of the Mane 6 getting into shenanigans with each other and just having fun.  Case in point, this episode might very well have been the funniest episode this season, I'm not even joking or anything.  The humor was just excellent and always surprised me, and I don't get how they pulled that off, considering, as I said earlier, they were employing the done-to-death "misunderstanding" cliche the whole episode to drive the plot. But in the end it simply worked fantastically, so kudos to Studio B on what is in my opinion hands down the funniest episode this season.

Second, it was awesome getting to see the Crystal Empire once again, along with Cadence and Shining Armor.  The Empire has some simply stunning visuals, but my favorite part about seeing those two and the Crystal Empire was really that we got to see them for a normal episode.  There was no invasion, no evil villain to fight, just got to see the empire and all the crystal ponies in a normal episode with a normal lesson, and that was a really fun treat and nice change.  Rarity had some excellent funny moments with Cadence, and Shining Armor was pretty funny, especially when he was getting hit on! laugh.png  It's always fun when the Mane 6 get to visit new locations in normal episodes, and we honestly haven't gotten too much of that in Season 3 (heck, we didn't even get that much in Season 2 aside from Canterlot showing up every once in awhile).

Third, that vacationing pony and the Equestrian Games inspector were both a whole lot of fun.  It's been awhile since we met any new supporting characters, and it really hasn't happened that much this season, aside from "Bad Seed" and "Apple Family Reunion" I guess.  The vacationing pony was too funny (her claustrophobia was especially hilarious!), but she was also really sweet, and they both had some really funny gags going on.  Having some new characters just gave Studio B the chance to have some fun and employ some new jokes, and it worked great!

I will say this, I was a little confused by the lesson, mostly because Rainbow Dash was beating herself up so much at the end.  Don't get me wrong, I get why RD was personally so upset, but at the same time she was acting as though it were all her fault, when it was just a misunderstanding by all of them, and heck, all of the Mane 6 knew that they'd all misunderstood the situation.  Don't feel so bad about yourself RD!!!  sad.png   All in all though, the episode was a lot of fun, and even if I didn't quite get the lesson, I'll probably just pick it up when I rewatch the episode.

Couple of final thoughts; once again, and I cannot emphasize this enough, the animation was absolutely stunning!  The Crystal Empire is one of my favorite locations in the show, and even more so now that everything is all... crystally, for lack of a better word.  The buildings, the ponies, they all just look fantastic!  The few bits where the last episode and this one were crossing over were quite clever as well and a whole lot of fun.  All in all, this was a fantastic episode, an extraordinarily, and surprisingly, fantastic episode, and in my book it might just be the funniest episode of Season 3, easily this season's "Party of One" or "Lesson Zero".  biggrin.png

Well, just one more episode to go everypony!  It's been a great season ya'll, and I just can't believe it's about to end almost as soon as it began!!!  I'll see ya'll here next week everypony for one last rodeo.  sad.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 7

I still feel some kind of way that Spike wasn't invited to visit the city he had a crucial role in saving recently.

I agree, There wouldn't be a Crystal Kingdom to host the games if Spike hadn't protected the heart from Sombra so it doesn't make much sense that he wasn't invited. But i guess he had fun making his Jewel Cak-... oh wait, that's right... Dragon greed. 

• Brohoof 1

This episode was pretty solid. I have never seen a episode tie to the previous episode, and explain in very high-detail on why they went to the Crystal Empire to help Princess Cadance with the Equestria Games. The irony in the episode was, that they got the wrong pony pretty much the episode really did show that hospitality can do wonders. Oh, and Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's brohoof was so cute <3.

• Brohoof 5

Ok am i the only one that was super happy to she rainbow dashs dad. For the longest time i wonder if she ever had parents

Well, how else would she have grown up as a filly? But yeah, that was a lovely addition. Makes you wonder where that dad's gone off to and whether Rainbow still keeps in touch.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 1

Also to note: Let the shipping art/fiction between Prince Shining Armor and the green mare commence!!! Lol!

Also in RD's flashback when she was a filly: was the stallion she was standing on her dad?! I think it was!

Well, how else would she have grown up as a filly? But yeah, that was a lovely addition. Makes you wonder where that dad's gone off to and whether Rainbow still keeps in touch.

yea i know but its hard to says cuase of apple jack parents and what not and we havnt see rainbows or fluttershys parent yet, my theory was clouds dale took Pegasus away from there parents for flight school. meh but what im happy she at least has a dad

Ok am i the only one that was super happy to she rainbow dashs dad. For the longest time i wonder if she ever had parents

I was wondering when anyone was going to mention that.  I thought that the Rainbow Dash fandom would have exploded from the revelation.

Rainbow_Dash_and_relative_S3E12.jpg

• Brohoof 3