Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

TailsIsNotAlone

Snip

Unfortunately, this topic does already exist, so I merged your thread into the older one. It's usually a good idea to try the search function if you are unsure if a suitable thread already exists or not.

(edited)

I can' believe that they would allow MLP in japan since it goes against their moral code and all but I'll be watching every single jp dubbed episode.

I don't know why they wouldn't.  They allow cartoons from other countries all the time in Japan.  I mean, they actually had the X-Men cartoon over there, with a completely new opening sequence made exclusively for the Japanese version.  Kind of like what they did with FiM.

Edited by SBaby

• 3 weeks later...

I'm feeling rather annoyed. Why? The Japanese dub completely changed Griffon The Brush-Off's aesop from "rather than try to influence who your friends spend time with, you yourself should try to be a good friend, and trust that the true face of a false friend will eventually be revealed through their behavior" to "if someone's being mean, don't retaliate." Lauren's message for girls: "Don't let society and media stereotypes decide who you are. You have the right to be your own individuals and choose what you wish to be." Japan's message to girls: "You are not allowed to be whatever you want. We only see you as weak and powerless sex tools who need to fit our perfect image of you. You need to accept your lot in life as an uncomplaining, submissive victim." This very controversial view of women would have Faust fuming.

• 1 month later...

All you Japanese anime and Japanophiles, are you kidding me?! Seriously, just because something is in Japanese doesn't make it instantly better or cool.  The fact that you are obsessed with the culture obviously puts a bias spin on things.

That being said, the ORIGINAL work is always that way to go.  It expresses the intent of the writers/creators of the show.

As a Japanese American, I understand both cultures and languages, and let me tell you, the original is by far superior.  Let me go on to say that Japanese bronies and pegasisters are pretty upset with the changes of the show, calling it an inferior version.  The comparison video is actually Japanese fans mocking and upset over the cuts, changes to the original theme, voices, etc...they do NOT like the dub and prefer the original to be subbed instead....like what most of you Japanese anime fanboys/girls want for Japanese anime.  They state MLP is dead.  Half of the VA for the dub have are newcomers, case in point.  Take a look at a screen cap posted...the discussion is also on reddit.

post-17566-0-28342000-1373059369_thumb.png

Don't be so blind as to think, "it's Japanese, it's better."  Would you say the same for other shows, say, Batman TAS?  Do you really think that the Japanese dub of TAS is better, especially against the likes of  Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill?  Don't kid yourselves.

Take a step back and let go of the novelty of the "foreign language/culture"...you'll find then without bias the original is better in 99.9% of the cases; MLP:FIM also of note.

• Brohoof 2

words

I don't think they are truly saying that the dubbed version is better. They are saying that they now have a new way to watch the old episodes again and they are big fans of manga and japanese dubs making it a combination of their interests. I'm glad that japanese fans are in love with the american versions (and american in love with both manga and the dubs) because its simply another way to enjoy the show.

Are there any Japanese Brony musicians YET? We have over a 1,000 out here, there has to be some over there already, right?

Are there any MLP japanese fansites that you can link here so we can check them out? Seems silly to not let 2 the worlds collide when they love the same show and not have a chance to talk to each other. As for "MLP is dead" that's just naysayers, we have some of our own over here too.

All you Japanese anime and Japanophiles, are you kidding me?! Seriously, just because something is in Japanese doesn't make it instantly better or cool.  The fact that you are obsessed with the culture obviously puts a bias spin on things.

That being said, the ORIGINAL work is always that way to go.  It expresses the intent of the writers/creators of the show.

As a Japanese American, I understand both cultures and languages, and let me tell you, the original is by far superior.  Let me go on to say that Japanese bronies and pegasisters are pretty upset with the changes of the show, calling it an inferior version.  The comparison video is actually Japanese fans mocking and upset over the cuts, changes to the original theme, voices, etc...they do NOT like the dub and prefer the original to be subbed instead....like what most of you Japanese anime fanboys/girls want for Japanese anime.  They state MLP is dead.  Half of the VA for the dub have are newcomers, case in point.  Take a look at a screen cap posted...the discussion is also on reddit.

attachicon.giftjmzOMp.png

Don't be so blind as to think, "it's Japanese, it's better."  Would you say the same for other shows, say, Batman TAS?  Do you really think that the Japanese dub of TAS is better, especially against the likes of  Kevin Conroy or Mark Hamill?  Don't kid yourselves.

Take a step back and let go of the novelty of the "foreign language/culture"...you'll find then without bias the original is better in 99.9% of the cases; MLP:FIM also of note.

I have to agree with this.  I've come across a few Bronies who are also anime fans, and they don't like anime dubs, but they have no problem with Friendship is Magic in Japanese.  Some of these people insist on watching anime *only* in Japanese with subtitles, but then with MLP think it's fine either way, which makes no sense. 

In a similar sense, I've also seen people who think anime dubs suck, but then praise the performances of Andrea Libman, Tabitha St. Germain, and Cathy Weseluck, among others.  Guess what- *all* of the above names have worked in anime.  Hell, the dub for Gundam 00 is *loaded* with MLP:FiM talent. 

• Brohoof 1