Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you actually /read/ long profiles, or any at all?

Leafeon

Do you?  

128 users have voted

1. 1. So. Do you read long profiles?

• YES.
    • No.
    • Sometimes.
    • What's a "profile"?

I didn't even know ppl watch profiles :) (I know there is a visitors list). I think I do not usually read profiles but now that you started and asked about your profile, I gave it a look. Seems you like Trixie, your profile seems fine since the forum suggests more constructive and quality posts, then why not the profile to be also longer.

Nice stuff on deviantArt, I've only 1 pony related 'art' there

Edited by ImtR

As title says. The reason I'm wondering this is because, my profile is pretty long. And, seeing as it is so long, I do want people to read it.

So, my question is; Does anyone actually read profiles? Silly question? Of course.

Kthxbye.

Oh I wouldn't be worried about people reading my profile if I were you :P Also, whocares if it's long, I just go to your profile to look at the pictures  :lol:

Long profiles, long posts, and most of the time long threads as well. You can get to know what kind of person someone is through their posting habits, but I also find it interesting to learn how they came to be the people that they are and to hear about all their hobbies and such that might not come up in any thread.

My profile is currently empty because I'm in the process of rebuilding it. I've been working on it here and there for some time now. My goal is to strike some kind of balance, making everything in it somehow relevant to something without it being a mile long. There's really not a lot for me to cover but I can be unnecessarily long-winded at times.

• Brohoof 4

I love reading long profiles. How can you get to know someone if they write only a sentence or two about themselves?
*Looks at own profile*

Well shit. Maybe i should edit my own...

Long profiles, long posts, and most of the time long threads as well. You can get to know what kind of person someone is through their posting habits, but I also find it interesting to learn how they came to be the people that they are and to hear about all their hobbies and such that might not come up in any thread.

Always kinda worry about this in my case.  My posts are almost always concise.  I think my longest post was barely 1000 characters long.  Makes you wonder how people perceive you when many of them are long posters.

If I'm on someone's profile page at all, I probably intend to read whatever they've written there. I try to read people's profiles regardless of length, but sometimes if they're too long, I just lose interest after a while.

Depends on what kind of feel do the user's posts leave in me. When I see a post and think ,,Hay, the one who wrote this must be really interesting.", I could read a Great Chineese Wall of text on their profile. On the other hoof, when I open some random user profile, I'm more likely to skim trough it if it is short, and otherwise abandon it...

Depends really, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If for example everything is set up nicely then more often than not I will read it, but if it's crunched and filled with grammar mistakes, I won't. I prefer to know people though, so one way or another I will at least try to read it.

Depends on how much I want to read it, and if it grabs my attention (you know, pretty colors...all that :P ).  For the most part, I do read long profiles. But if it's not anything interesting, I just browse through it. But most people have very interesting profiles. Also, colored text and pictures also make me interested to read it. 

But it's fun reading people's profiles, because you get to know a lot abut them that you didn't know at first. It's pretty cool!

Always kinda worry about this in my case.  My posts are almost always concise.  I think my longest post was barely 1000 characters long.  Makes you wonder how people perceive you when many of them are long posters.

Someone's average post length doesn't do much to affect my perception of them. You've posted in many kinds of threads all over this forum and I think I've managed to get a fairly complete picture of your character by thatching them together. One might think that by posting less often or posting less content it would take longer to get to know a person, but I understood you pretty well after our first or second encounter.

I've made some posts that were almost encyclopedic in length and many that were barely at the character limit over a broad range of topics. No doubt I have a lot of people confused as to what kind of a guy I am.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1

I don't make it routine, but I will read someone's profile on a whim if they seem like an interesting person, or I've seen them around a lot and want to get to know them better.

That said, I try to make my profile fairly brief and fun to read to encourage people not to just skim it.

If someone posts stuff that routinely catches my eye, I will read their long-winded profile.  :)  It can shed light on what makes them tick.  I personally have noticed an uptick in profile views and friend requests since I posted a lengthy about me page myself.  No clue if that's a coincidence or not.  Mainly I focus on my life long love of cartoons which helps explain why I find MLP:FiM so captivating.  And while I give them a brief mention, I don't bore anybody with useless details about my cats, my job, my other hobbies, my special somepony, my taste in music, or my favorite football team. 

Everybody here has a fine appreciation of cartoons, so that's what I've decided to talk about in my profile.

Not a big fan of super-long profiles, personally. If your profile is longer than a typical band bio, I'm probably not gonna bother with it.

Edited by DusK

I voted "sometimes," but it's strongly most likely "no" than "yes."

Typically, the problem with profiles is they're either too biased (either positively or negatively) about the given person and/or the information is useless to who the person actually is as a person. I know I personally could not write an "about me" kind of thing without bashing on myself, so I can understand and relate to others who are similar, but reading something so opinionated will only skew the reader's opinion, as well, so that's a no-no. I avoid reading these kinds of profiles, because I want to think what I want to think based off my experiences with the person. 

If the specified profile has random information like, "favrite f00d: watrmalon, favrite drank: purpl drank," then I'm going to instantly just deny reading it. There's no point in knowing such trivial facts about a stranger. I suppose if the information avoids these two things I specified, then perhaps I will skim, but I usually don't care about others to begin with, so why would I care to know things about them?

It also depends on my mood. If I'm more bored, I'll obviously be more inclined, just because it gives me something to do. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

sometimes I will. 

I'll have to be bored to read a very long one though. I prefer coming across the shorter ones though, short and to the point.

The ones that are long, I figure I might as well read or glance through to know a little bit of the poster.

Yes. If I bothered to click on your profile (intentionally) then it's because I want to know more about you. I have yet to meet a profile that was too long to read; as long as it is interesting I will read the whole thing. On the other hand, if your "about me" isn't really about you then I'll probably just skim/skip it since it's not what I was looking for.

• Brohoof 3

To me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes when I come across a profile, whether accidental or on purpose, I usually skim to the most interesting parts. Other times, I read the whole thing because I may be bored, or the person may be pretty interesting. I don't avoid them at all, it's interesting to read long bios. It's like reading a short story about the person.

• Brohoof 1

All depends on the person. If I find someone I like on the Forums I'll comb through their profile. If it's incoherent rambling with different coloured text every line or if it has frequent grammar mistakes, then I wish I hadn't.

I like most kinds of profiles besides those. It's fun to get to know people.