Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is Friendship...to you?

~TheStealthyPony~

The state of relationship between acquaintance and significant other.

Oh and someone you can mooch off of and them be forgiving enough to tolerate it, unlike acquaintences who don't like you enough to tolerate it, or significant others who will break up with you if you are too demanding.

So I guess what I mean is, friendship is about exploitation.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 years later...

I really do need to know, hope someone can enlighten me as to what friendship is.

If... I had to guess, I'd say that Friendship is Caring.

Kind of ironically depressing that the two threads asking what friendship is are the least visited...

• Brohoof 1

Well to me it's unity and that's the most important thing about a perfect society. Simply everyone would be friends and be united. This system would also lead the world to be under control by one government while every country still exists in the form of states.

• Brohoof 1

Friendship to me is having something who understands you,  will help you and just be there.    Thing is,  it also has to go both ways.

• Brohoof 1

To me, it's basically caring, tolerating and supporting the other person.

A true friendship is when somebody can 'think loudly' while not offending anybody. Sharing thoughts, without being afraid, that the other one will judge that; spending time together even 'for no reason' ~ somebody, that you can rely on and just be 'yourself'.

You can have many friends, but let's face the truth - would you tell them about your secrets? To not search far, would you tell them about you liking ponies? How many times you're not being yourself, because you're afraid, that the other one will have weird thoughts about you? How many times you're trying to be 'cool'? That's not a true friendship, but just being friends - more like just knowing each other.

A true friend will like you for who you are; A true friend will tolerate differences; A true friend will support you in need - that's what friendship is all about.

It seems simple, but it's a really complicated subject. :twi: 

• Brohoof 4

On 30.05.2017 at 7:00 PM, Rikifive said:

To me, it's basically caring, tolerating and supporting the other person.

A true friendship is when somebody can 'think loudly' while not offending anybody. Sharing thoughts, without being afraid, that the other one will judge that; spending time together even 'for no reason' ~ somebody, that you can rely on and just be 'yourself'.

You can have many friends, but let's face the truth - would you tell them about your secrets? To not search far, would you tell them about you liking ponies? How many times you're not being yourself, because you're afraid, that the other one will have weird thoughts about you? How many times you're trying to be 'cool'? That's not a true friendship, but just being friends - more like just knowing each other.

A true friend will like you for who you are; A true friend will tolerate differences; A true friend will support you in need - that's what friendship is all about.

It seems simple, but it's a really complicated subject. :twi: 

It's all true. I thought that MLP can be even a test of friendship. If you are not afraid to tell someone you like ponies then you consider him a friend. If this person accepts it means you were right.

• Brohoof 1

Having a person to depend on, and having them depend on you, someone you can talk and have fun with, basically. There's way too much to say about it, tbh.

This.^  I mean, this is something I've lost sight of from time to time, but every time I watch this vid and listen to this song, it brings me right back down to Earth.  If I should ever lose sight of this, like when I called Trump supporters sadists, be sure to remind me of it should you remember to, and I'll do the same if I see anyone else lose sight of it too.  Friendship is what's most important in this world, and some if not all of the world's problems could easily be solved if more people and the various world leaders had a general attitude of embracing friendship with one another.

To me personally, Friendship isn't Magic. It's a Miracle in my eyes. You're establishing a special bond with that person regardless of their gender who actually shares your pain, your sorrow, and would express his/her/their sympathy to you in the most sincerest way possible. Friendship to me is not about materialistic and natural benefits, but establishing a sense of trust to the individual who shares your sentiment to the teeth. If I had a friend and he's in danger, I'll give up my life to save his. If he doesn't do the same for me, then he NEVER was my friend in the first place and just USED me as a tool for his/her/their own selfish purpose. Sadly, I've been backstabbed, bullied, humiliated, ostracized, and ridiculed all my life. In my case, it's best to embrace Loneliness and just establish Peaceful Relationships with people cause to me people having Friendly Relationships will always be a miracle in my eyes.

There's a big difference between establishing a Peaceful Relationship and a Friendly Relationship and it's much easier IMO to establish a Peaceful Relationship than a Friendly Relationship especially how diverse and different we all are. Peaceful Relationships doesn't necessarily mean you're friends with the individual since both sides can still be indifferent or hate each other and won't have anything in common. Peaceful Relationships is just an agreement that both sides won't be causing anything that would hurt them in anyway no matter what. With Friendly Relationships both sides have something in common to the teeth and are like twin souls in a way so the bond comes close to being sacred. In my case, till Death I'll find a friend as long as He wills.

• Brohoof 1

My definition of friendship: when two or more people like each other enough to openly discuss at least some of their likes, dislikes, fears, wants and so-forth. The more they like each other, the more of their likes, etc. they can openly discuss and the better friends they are. The key difference between a friend and an acquaintance, at least in my eyes, is that an acquaintance tolerates you while a friend actually likes you.

If it's not abundantly obvious by now, I don't have a very profound definition of friendship.

Friendship to me is having close and loved people around, although not always physically, but still. Being there for you and vice versa. The kind of close people that you can be yourself with and have genuine good times with. To me it's also important that my friends don't just put up with me but also actually like me (although I'm always scared of no one caring after all). I care a lot about my friends so I'm more than delighted when friends express that they care about me as well. Friendships are really important to me, so having friends and being one is definitely one of my values in life.
There's so much to say about friendship but I can't put absolutely everything to words. :blink:

On 5/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, Rikifive said:

You can have many friends, but let's face the truth - would you tell them about your secrets?

This is such an intriguing subject to think about. While I think it's important to share secrets with friends you definitely trust, I'm still not able to tell someone absolutely everything, not even my best friend. Those are the kind of things that no one else needs to know about. There are many secrets that I've told my friends about so it's not like I'd deliberately want to keep things from them.

2 minutes ago, Jaspers said:

This is such an intriguing subject to think about. While I think it's important to share secrets with friends you definitely trust, I'm still not able to tell someone absolutely everything, not even my best friend. Those are the kind of things that no one else needs to know about. There are many secrets that I've told my friends about so it's not like I'd deliberately want to keep things from them.

Of course that's understandable. I didn't mean, that you're supposed to tell absolutely everything. There are private things, that even family should not know. ^_^ 

What I had in mind by 'secrets' is talking about hobbies, opinions and problems, that you wouldn't normally mention around random people. :twi: 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Wow, forgot I had posted here!

To elaborate, Caring is Trust in my opinion.

I really don’t have much experience in friendship. What few cases I have just slowly faded out of my life without much effort on either side to keep it together.

From experience, relationships seem conditional. That nobeing bothers unless they get something out of it. Like how, in the show, I feel the Main Six only bothered because of sudden, rare hardship & they all saved each others lives & HAD TO trust each other. And only after that did they seek to continue interaction.

... but I don’t want to believe that. I wish for unconditional love.

I do that. I rapid fire off every emotion, secret or effort I can. Even if I try my hardest to hide it & “be professional” It’s about honesty, I say. I give you everything I can & just hope that it’s enough to make you want to stay around. 

Friends don’t have to accept every part of you. They get irratated, act all mean in good humor... but... they stay. Because they want you around. Because they care enough to be a fixture in my life...

...Sigh. I’m just triggering my own abandonment issues at this point...

...Heh. Friendship is Safety. You can trample all over each other, make things awkward or anger each other from time to time... but you always get back together. Because there’s an unspoken understsnding of each other. A familiarity. Someone to lean on & with.

Like an old house. You’re well aware of its faults & that there’s better options... but you wouldn’t trade the life you had there for anything!

• Brohoof 1

Friendship to me is about caring and trusting those closest to you and receiving the same in return 

in addition, friendship as well as these forums are the only things that keep me sane in this crazy crazy world! 

Friendship is supporting one and another without asking any favors...and sometime a someone you can pick on without making it look like a crime.

Edited by TBD

In my opinion, true friendship is not about money and arguing, not about toxic racing like many people do at workplaces, not about the ice-cold smiles.
A true fried can be trusted any time, and will be there to help you, he/she will try to help even from the other side of Earth, and will not leave you because your sexual identity or your religion.

• 2 years later...