Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anime characters like the Mane Six, and why?

Akemi Homura

Name some characters from various animes who act/behave similarly like any of the Mane Six.

DL6XeAo.jpg

This is Tomoyo Daidouji (Madison Taylor from the English dub -- which sucks, BTW) from Clamp's Cardcaptor Sakura, and she is quite like Rarity in regards to her willingness to help out her friends and trying to understand what's best for everyone around her. Her high-profile background sets her apart from many of her peers, as she hails from a very rich family, but like Rarity she's humble and never lets the fortune get to her head. Most strikingly however, is that every time before a card capture, Tomoyo designs new dresses for Sakura (the titular protagonist of the series) to place an emphasis on theme of the episode/atmosphere that's taking place. To top it all of, she does all of this of her own accord -- no questions asked and taking the time to do it gives her Rarity-like features. Heck, Tomoyo's hairstyle is uncannily similar to Rarity's if the latter's mane weren't styled all the time.

P.S: The Japanese version of Cardcaptor Sakura is the one you want to watch. Go for it.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard
  • Brohoof 1

Tamaki from Ouran High School Host club strikes me as a male Rarity.  He's a super over the top emotional Large Ham, who is himself very stylish and popular with great fashion sense, but is genuinely caring of others. 

• Brohoof 2

Tamaki from Ouran High School Host club strikes me as a male Rarity.  He's a super over the top emotional Large Ham, who is himself very stylish and popular with great fashion sense, but is genuinely caring of others. 

I've yet to watch Ouran HSHC. It's been a while since I last got into anime but it always looked appealing -- thanks for the reminder!

Seems like a lot of anime characters may be very similar to Rarity. Maybe they were the norm when Faust thought of her design and personality.

Edited by Alfonzo Dennard

Yeah, it's really quite funny.  It's a shoujo series that's almost like a parody at times, poking fun at some of the sillier elements of the genre. 

Fluttershy is Belldandy from Ah My Goddess.  Soft spoken, beautiful, and friend to all animals, yet deep down has a steely resolve.  You *don't* want to hurt their friends. 

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 1

Cardcaptor Sakura

Wow that was like a bitch slap of memories you just hit me with. I remember watching this show every morning before going to primary school. Oh the good old days  :wub:

I think her names Stocking? From an Anime called Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt. Pretty much just the hair style and color. 

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy
  • Brohoof 4

Fluttershy is the Kid Gohan of MLP.

Just think about it. Both are usually very timid and polite, they love animals, they both befriended a villain and became their first friend, and when you piss them off, you will regret it. Big time. 

• Brohoof 2

Interesting idea Alfonzo. While I only read manga and extremely selectively, I have one.

From One Piece

Rainbow Dash=Roronoa Zoro and Applejack=Sanji

Zoro is the somewhat grumpy guy who wants to be the best in the world with a hidden soft side who likes to take loads of naps and is fiercely loyal to his captain and crew, where Sanji is the blond haired orphan master cook with insanely powerful kicks.

Honestly though the the thing that stands out the most is the way they interact, which is more or less identical to the Dash/Applejack dynamic . They both irritate the heck out of each other, they can't go five minutes without competing over something, and they actually have a lot of respect for each other, not that they would ever show it to the other person's face.

Fans have picked up on this

http://alwaysrainbow.deviantart.com/art/Roronoa-Dash-and-Sanjack-after-2-years-305867439

I'll be back if I think of more :)

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 3

I love this thread already. So interesting!

One that comes to me immediately is Ami (Sailor Mercury) is like Twilight. Ami is a super genius and is passionate about studying and is also a socially awkward. It takes Usagi (Sailor Moon) to first introduce herself to her and to join a team of superheroes before she can start having any true friendships.

Speaking of, Usagi and Pinkie Pie are also very similar in personality. Which now that I think about it, if any of you have seen the Japanese Sailor Moon or have read the manga, you know what kind of character development Usagi goes through during the series. If Pinkie Pie could get similar development... it would do so much for her character. The only main difference is that Pinkie Pie isn't an idiot who couldn't do well in school and she isn't a scaredy cat either (although that does change throughout the series). But they both have a very bubbly personalities and they love to see their friends smile.

• Brohoof 2

I love this thread already. So interesting!

One that comes to me immediately is Ami (Sailor Mercury) is like Twilight. Ami is a super genius and is passionate about studying and is also a socially awkward. It takes Usagi (Sailor Moon) to first introduce herself to her and to join a team of superheroes before she can start having any true friendships.

Speaking of, Usagi and Pinkie Pie are also very similar in personality. Which now that I think about it, if any of you have seen the Japanese Sailor Moon or have read the manga, you know what kind of character development Usagi goes through during the series. If Pinkie Pie could get similar development... it would do so much for her character. The only main difference is that Pinkie Pie isn't an idiot who couldn't do well in school and she isn't a scaredy cat either (although that does change throughout the series). But they both have a very bubbly personalities and they love to see their friends smile.

I haven't watched Sailor Moon in a long time, but I'm glad you like the thread! Anime tends to be the best comparison when dealing with fictional characters, don't you think?

Sakura Kinomoto herself is a lot like Pinkie Pie -- confident, cheery, jovial, all the happy emotions you can think of. She's also very bold when she needs to be and as trite as it may sound, puts others ahead of herself. What's most interesting though, is that her eccentric personality can you lead you to be very annoyed with her to begin with, but I promise you -- you will end up warming up to her and maybe even develop a crush on her (like Syaoran Li).

Sakura_kinomoto_by_Ekiss.jpg

Zoro is the somewhat grumpy guy who wants to be the best in the world with a hidden soft side who likes to take loads of naps and is fiercely loyal to his captain and crew, where Sanji is the blond haired orphan master cook with insanely powerful kicks. Honestly though the the thing that stands out the most is the way they interact, which is more or less identical to the Dash/Applejack dynamic . They both irritate the heck out of each other, they can't go five minutes without competing over something, and they actually have a lot of respect for each other, not that they would ever show it to the other person's face.

Nice! Last time I watched One Piece was back in 2006 and never really got back into it, but I liked it for the most part. I clearly have a lot to catch up on. The Dash/AJ dynamic is a stellar one no matter what the series is, it seems. 

• Brohoof 1

img-1162436-1-two_thousand_percent_by_uc

Rainbow Dash is totally Kamina from Gurren Lagann. For Starters she "made the impossible happen" which is essentially what Kamina lives by "Kick logic out and do the impossible". They also have a similar philosophy in that they both won't stop trying until it kills them. On top of that, a lot of her dynamics with Scootaloo and Fluttershy in particular remind me much of Kamina and Simon

Edited by Megas75

Interesting idea Alfonzo. While I only read manga and extremely selectively, I have one.

From One Piece

Rainbow Dash=Roronoa Zoro and Applejack=Sanji

Zoro is the somewhat grumpy guy who wants to be the best in the world with a hidden soft side who likes to take loads of naps and is fiercely loyal to his captain and crew, where Sanji is the blond haired orphan master cook with insanely powerful kicks.

Honestly though the the thing that stands out the most is the way they interact, which is more or less identical to the Dash/Applejack dynamic . They both irritate the heck out of each other, they can't go five minutes without competing over something, and they actually have a lot of respect for each other, not that they would ever show it to the other person's face.

Fans have picked up on this

http://alwaysrainbow.deviantart.com/art/Roronoa-Dash-and-Sanjack-after-2-years-305867439

I'll be back if I think of more :)

That's not the only one.  I've seen the Mane 6 plus spike matched with One Piece characters.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/344/6/2/pinkie_d_pie_at_enies_lobby_2_by_ziemniax-d4ioihr.png

The Rarity/Nami link is a bit tenuous, but I like the rest, especially Fluttershy as Chopper and Pinkie Pie as Luffy (They even share a middle initial!). 

Oh, and in case you're wondering where Twilight is:

http://ziemniax.deviantart.com/art/Pinkie-D-Pie-at-Enies-Lobby-2-273241503

Robin does resemble some of Twilight's less neurotic aspects- her relative maturity, difficulty in making friends, the fact that most of the time she'd rather curl up in front of a good book.  Plus it helps that she looks the most like a pre-timeskip Robin out of the mane six, with her darker coat and mane style resembling Robin's tan skin and straight dark hair.

• Brohoof 1

Yui from Angel Beats! reminds me of Pinkie Pie, not just because of the pink hair, but they're both very loud and adorable.

post-10016-0-97069100-1360524807.jpeg

Oh, and America from Hetalia acts like Rd, they both believe they are the best person/ pony ever

post-10016-0-36709000-1360525071.jpeg

Edited by Princess-Derpy
  • Brohoof 2

Snip :).

Indeed, I had tried the other comparisons, I just focused on the Zoro/Sanji one because I thought it was the clearest parallel. I hadn't ever seen that picture though, or ever thought of Spike as Usopp so thank you for that and for going more in depth :)

While I'm here, I'll say that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin reminds me of Scootaloo. Both are pretty scrappy kids with fierce devotion and respect towards someone they admire (Rainbow/Kenshin). They also have strong senses of pride, fear of showing weakness and both want to grow up and find their places in the world. Not the Mane Six, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

Discord is a lot like Vegeta from DBZ. Bothare former villians who laughed at other people's pain and struggle, but became good people because of love and friendship from others.

And Rainbow Dash is a lot like Kuwabara from Yu Yu Hakusho. Both act really tough (and have the strength to match it,) but all that goes away when they need to stop for their friends, as both are very loyal people. And their strength isincrease a lot with the need to protect their friends.

Well, I think Fluttershy is very similar to Hinata from Naruto. Their both shy, sometimes innocent, but can be tough if they want to. :)

Twilight is kiinnddaa like Sakura (from Naruto), always taking notes, sharp, and can get annoyed easily at times. 

Pinkie Pie definitively reminds me of Luffy from One Piece. Boundlessly optimistic, and always smiling, and loves to be around her friends. 

Rarity...I'm guessing the closest character I can compare her to is Rei (Sailor Mars) from Sailor Moon. Sailor Mars isn't really THAT into fashion, both her and Rarity have some similarities in personality. 

So yeah, those are my listings. It's just what I think. 

• Brohoof 1

Twilight is kiinnddaa like Sakura (from Naruto), always taking notes, sharp, and can get annoyed easily at times. 

I'm not too fond of Sakura Haruno from Naruto. Her character to me just reinforces the belief that female characters are cast aside while the two main characters get all the hype and eventually become overpowered.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not too fond of Sakura Haruno from Naruto. Her character to me just reinforces the belief that female characters are cast aside while the two main characters get all the hype and eventually become overpowered.

Yeah, I totally agree. I mean, we need Sakura doing more action! And it gives people the impression that all girls act like her. :P Whenever she does try to do something, she's somehow stopped. :( Hopefully we can see her do more, instead of just watching Naruto/Sasuke do all the work. ALL SHE DOES IS SIT THERE, DARN IT! I wasn't too fond of Sakura either, but hopefully she'll become better as the series goes on. 

Edited by Pixiesong

I'm not too fond of Sakura Haruno from Naruto. Her character to me just reinforces the belief that female characters are cast aside while the two main characters get all the hype and eventually become overpowered.

Agreed both with not liking Sakura especially and the reasoning behind it. That is also the reason I'd be opposed to permanent Alicorn Twi, that MLP might begin suffering from Naruto syndrome. Out of my favorite characters, only Kakashi and Shikamaru have gotten any kind of focus since the time skip :(

• Brohoof 1

Guys........I've found it. The perfect duo. Two characters that are so similar to each other that it's like they're blood relatives. Never will you find two characters that are more similar to each other than.......

Pinkie Pie and Buu. Dead serious.

• Brohoof 1

Guys........I've found it. The perfect duo. Two characters that are so similar to each other that it's like they're blood relatives. Never will you find two characters that are more similar to each other than.......

Pinkie Pie and Buu. Dead serious.

It's funny, Pinkie Pie is probably the only other character I can see besides Buu who would enjoy turning her enemies into candy

• Brohoof 6

Yes, yes, this might be weird, but the Sonic characters are the only ones I could think of. There was an anime...show thing they had of Sonic and yeah.....

Cream the rabbit is a LOT like Flutter Shy. They both are kind, sweet, and a bit shy.

Sonic and Rainbow Dash resemble to me, because they're fast, athletic, and very cool.

Charmy Bee seems kind of like Pinkie Pie, because they're both hyper and adorable.

Tails and Twilight...yeah they're both really smart and Tails is a genius I guess?? And Twilight is a nerdy girl ^_^

Rouge the Bat and Rarity, Oh yes! Defiantly!!!!!!

UM...well the others I cant think of.

Sorry that those guys aren't really an anime...I don't really watch anime :/

Soul Eater.

Death The Kid= Rarity

Patty= Pinkie Pie

Liz= Applejack

BlackStar= Rainbow Dash

Maka= Twilight Sparkle

Tsubaki= Fluttershy

Soul= Spike.

Nuff said.

YES!!!

Kid's neuroticism is just as dramatic as many of Rarity's own dramatics.

Patty and Pinkie Pie are both super dooper sanguine and bubbly.

Twilight and Maka... love. I think that Maka has much more of a temper than Twilight but that's really the only main difference.

Fluttershy and Tsubaki is very good, too. Like my Pinkie Pie/Sailor Moon connection, I think that if they developed Fluttershy in a similar way that they develop Tsubaki, that could make a very interesting story. We don't even know anything about Fluttershy's family yet~ same with RD and Black Star. Now wouldn't that be interesting if Fluttershy's and RD's families had some sort of conflict with one another...

The only one I'm not digging is Soul and Spike. But I don't think that there is anyone like Soul in MLP. So that's OK~

Yes, yes, this might be weird, but the Sonic characters are the only ones I could think of. There was an anime...show thing they had of Sonic and yeah.....

Cream the rabbit is a LOT like Flutter Shy. They both are kind, sweet, and a bit shy.

Sonic and Rainbow Dash resemble to me, because they're fast, athletic, and very cool.

Charmy Bee seems kind of like Pinkie Pie, because they're both hyper and adorable.

Tails and Twilight...yeah they're both really smart and Tails is a genius I guess?? And Twilight is a nerdy girl ^_^

Rouge the Bat and Rarity, Oh yes! Defiantly!!!!!!

UM...well the others I cant think of.

Sorry that those guys aren't really an anime...I don't really watch anime :/

There is a Sonic anime though. So it still counts. :)

Granted the anime kind of sucks but whatever, it's still an anime, and Sonic was originally made in Japan.

Rarity...I'm guessing the closest character I can compare her to is Rei (Sailor Mars) from Sailor Moon. Sailor Mars isn't really THAT into fashion, both her and Rarity have some similarities in personality. 

I was also thinking Rei for Rarity as well. Funny, Rei to me kind of seems like a mix between Rarity and Rainbow Dash... none of RD's athletic traits, but rather her loyalty and her temper. Mixed with Rarity's femininity and beauty, etc.

• Brohoof 2

Goku from the ever-popular Dragon Ball Z is a lot like Princess Celestia. Both are kind-hearted, compassionate, powerful in their own right but manage to be very benevolent to everyone around them -- unless they're in danger, then they'll stop at nothing to protect their friends and family.