Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which gender do you think has it better?

Pony Joe

117 users have voted

1. 1. Which gender do you think has it better?

• Male
    • Female
    • Neither
    • Other (please explain!)

I was thinking about opening this thread with a boring thesis statement on the way society has developed gender-based advantages and disadvantages, but in this case I think the title says it all.

As a man, I think women have the upper hand, especially in the romance department.  Assuming heterosexuality, it seems like the pressure is always on the guy to ask permission to advance a relationship, be it a dance invitation or a marriage proposal.  And even though women now have equal employment opportunity, it's generally assumed that we should pay for dates.

I have to admit, though, performing acts of chivalry feels undeniably sweet.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

Us girls actually.

So many people get so caught up in sexism that they don't notice that there's no need to get so upset. Not to mention, it's guys who are the ones generally fighting over a girl. It's quite nice, really.

• Brohoof 7

I voted other, because honestly, they both have their own double standards. For example: if a woman has sex with more than one guy, she's considered a slut, but if a guy does the same thing, he's considered a legend.

If a girl likes guy things, nobody cares. But if a guy likes girl things, he's considered gay. If girls hug each other, nobody cares, but if guys hug each other, they're deemed "Faggots" by society.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 15

I might be a guy, but I have to say females have it better. When, a girl breaks up with us or we are beating cheated on we go absolutely crazy. I for one, would not do that but I find that females are more calm. :P

Everyone has double standards, but I have to say males still have the upper hand...at least from my perspective. Men still make more annually than women do. Maybe I'm being biased since I play a lot of games online and had to stop giving out my gender after people kept judging me. Really it all depends on what angle you're looking from, though, so I voted other.

Edited by Bluebell
  • Brohoof 1

Traditionally, males have more power in society, but it comes at the cost of having less freedom in terms of rules and gender norms that they're expected to follow. Having to initiate advancing to another stage in a relationship is actually an example of this power, because if it's the guy's responsibility to initiate and he never does, there's theoretically nothing the girl can do about it (without breaking gender norms).

Yeah, I didn't actually answer your question did I? Oh well, I guess you'll just have to spend the rest of your lives wondering what my opinion is.

Well that depends. Physically, men are much better off. Psychologically, women are the ones who have it easy.

*Men are naturally stronger and more able to defend themselves.

*Men don't have to deal with menstruation, pregnancy and childbirth. I can't imagine that level of discomfort. xD

*Men get in more fights and wars, but women have also paid the price for that throughout history.

Psychologically...

*Behavior and speech-wise, women get away with murder. Especially attractive women.

*It's not only common, but acceptable for women to treat each other very badly. Men don't have that kind of structured release for their anger. If we treated each other that way, we'd never stop fighting. And when men do fight they tend to get over it sooner.

*It's popular to rip on men and all their shortcomings. We're so used to it we hardly bat an eye. But criticize women and you're a sexist animal. xD

This all just my opinion of course.

• Brohoof 3

I'd say neither. Each side has their own ups and downs. Some may be better than others, depending on what people personally think of certain attributes.

• Brohoof 4

Girls, they can wear boys clothes and no one will get on to them, but if a guy tried that then "Oh no, everyone freak out, he must be gay!"

Edited by thesteampunkninja
  • Brohoof 3

I would say...men. I have no idea what its like to be a woman but I had three older sisters so I can kinda imagine what its like...Maybe its just how my sisters are. Anyway. Guys don't have to push a baby from their body and they also don't have to get super bad cramps every month...I know that is different for individual girls but...yea. Maybe i'm just crazy.

Edited by ~Flame Dancer~
  • Brohoof 2

They have their ups and downs, but I think women have it a bit easier.

Of course, I think women are better than men in a lot of ways, so I'm probably biased.

If a woman has sex with more than one guy, she's considered a slut, but if a guy does the same thing, he's considered a legend.

If a key fits into a lot of different locks, it's a good key, but it a lot of different keys fit into the same lock, it's a bad lock ;)

And really, only jerks consider guys who sleep around to be cool. The rest of us see him as a jerk, or neutral. I consider anyone who sleeps around and has frequent one night stands to be a slut (or whatever the male equivalent is). It should also be noted that I don't necessarily consider being a slut to be a bad thing. It is in some cases, obviously, but not all.

• Brohoof 3

I think Men have it easier biologically but also harder in a lot of things eg. so many expectations. There are just too many double standards though. (Ones about men liking feminine things being frowned upon but women liking masculine things being ok, really bug me).

They both have their own set of double standard that seriously need to be thrown out the window but I will have to say men. Men don't get PMS or menopause sure they may to deal with women who get hormonal due to these conditions but I would imagine it is a lot less painful than actually getting it. Men don't have as anywhere near as many potential complications er down there as women do, sure us guys can occasionally get problems with the plumbing and some of them can get pretty bad too the sheer amount of things that can go wrong with a vagina is pretty scary. And men can't give birth which sounds kind of painful, seriously I think alot of men underestimate just tough women have to be to be able to do that I have a pretty insane tolerance for pain myself but still ouch.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a sexist, and I personally think both genders deserve equal treatment.

But men have it better. Why do I say that? Because of one thing and that's the beard. Beards, the only thing that men have an advantage over women with.

• Brohoof 1

Neither. How well you have it is determined by how you are as a person, not by your gender.

It doesn't matter what gender you are, what matters is how hard you work for something. The harder you work, the better off you will be in the end. Hard work pays off.

There are plenty of successful men, but there's also plenty of successful women as well. This is because those people worked hard to get to where they are today, it has nothing to do with gender.

Edited by UrdiePie

Neither. How well you have it is determined by how you are as a person, not by your gender.

It doesn't matter what gender you are, what matters is how hard you work for something. The harder you work, the better off you will be in the end. Hard work pays off.

There are plenty of successful men, but there's also plenty of successful women as well. This is because those people worked hard to get to where they are today, it has nothing to do with gender.

They are talking about which gender has it easier than the other as a whole, not by a person-by-person basis. While I'd like to believe this, it's just not true for the time being and we shouldn't kid ourselves. There's so many double standards that go a girl's way that it's sometimes downright peeving.

• Brohoof 2

I think ideally we'd try to get rid of such unnecessary disparities. People should be able to express themselves freely without cruel social stigma, as long as they aren't hurting others, and people should have equal opportunities in whatever pursuits their passions direct them to. It shouldn't matter the sex you are born at all. A male-born person shouldn't be beholden to things based on assumption and stereotypes, and neither should a female-born person be beholden to such stupid constraints.

It is absurd that such things are continued to this point in our history (and I could throw the blame at a few things). We just need to try and develop more adaptable, wider worldviews

Edited by Burning Desire

We both have it good and rough.

A lot of you claim women don't get shit for hugging each other or dressing in boy clothing...but we do.

I for one have dealt with it, I get called a dyke and faggot and stuff and it's quite annoying.

So same/same for both genders.

I find it quite annoying that people deem us women to have it easy.

But I mean...dudes have it tough too.

Dang, we all just have it rough don't we.

• Brohoof 1

We both have it good and rough.

A lot of you claim women don't get shit for hugging each other or dressing in boy clothing...but we do.

I for one have dealt with it, I get called a dyke and faggot and stuff and it's quite annoying.

So same/same for both genders.

I find it quite annoying that people deem us women to have it easy.

But I mean...dudes have it tough too.

Dang, we all just have it rough don't we.

And that leaves those who exist outside that binary even more out of luck. The oppression of both genders to conform is also the main cause of suffering for those who's gender doesn't match their physical sex.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's based most on what you prefer. And I presume most of the people reading this are comfortable in their natural physical sex. Really, both main sexes have their ups and downs, but it should matter more on how you want to identify that would make you feel best and most comfortable, rather than which you think is better.

I've always seen it as this. If I have to go through pain to have my own child, then it is NOT worth being that gender. I have always wanted to have kids, but I'm too scared to go through the pain women do in labour.

I will compile a small personal list for Guys

Pro's:

We can pee wherever we want without having to sit down/squat.

We don't go through pain to have a child

Were naturally stronger

Were naturally bigger (to some people this is a con)

We can have a beard and make it look fabulous (or make us look like a bum)

Don't have to bleed through our genitals every so often

Get to love an amazing show

We are normally the hard workers, which for me makes me feel good, since when I finish something or see what I've done good, I can feel proud of myself, and that feeling is amazing.

We don't have to shave to look amazing (unless its our beards!)

Con's:

Get hated on for watching an amazing show

Get in more physical fights

Are sometimes naturally stupid and hard headed

Naturally smell bad (girls do too, but I'm just stating its not as bad as us)

Naturally lazy sometimes (or often. Depends on the kinda person you are really)

Sometimes laziness occurs due to over addiction to computers/screens.

Hm. Each group does have their own pros and cons. Although, I think males have it easier. I may be biased as a girl though. I think males have it easier because they don't have to worry about the pain of child birth, the annoyance of pregnancy, or having a period once a month for almost all your life. Not just that though. Last week in class we learned about the pay differences in men and women. It's kinda amazing. That part is at least.

As said above, double-standards, unfair stuff, blah blah blah. Basically each gender goes through a lot of... bad stuff. And good stuff. How much really depends on who they are, and, to be honest, their luck. So, yeah, I'd say either both or neither, not sure what the difference is. I'm gonna go with neither.