Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favourite Musical Instrument

Celtore

I can't believe no one has mentioned the greatest instrument of all time...THE THERAMIN! 

It's sound is so beautiful, it makes me weep.  Just thinking about it leaves me speechless.  It's the perfect blend of science and music!

I'm joking laugh.png .  The theramin is interesting though.

I can't choose what my favorite instrument is, but the sitar is way up there.  I've always loved its sound and the look of it too.

• Brohoof 1

My favorite musical instrument is the harp, because both its appearance and the sound it produces are absolutely beautiful. Perhaps one day I will buy one, and learn how to play it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd have to say the drums.

They aren't the most...elegant instrument, but where would music be without a beat?

Besides, I love how I can just smash the shit out of them and it still sounds good, great after a hard day.

• Brohoof 2

Welp, I'm a trumpet player, and according to the stereotypes assigned by the Band Geek culture we're supposed to think that we're the best thing since sliced muffins.

Still, in actuality my favorite instrument is the piano. I can't...well...play it IRL, but what I do love is that one can play harmonies by themself, without needing other instruments. I'm sure there are many other instruments that do that, but the piano seems like the most prominent to me.

...yup. :|

• Brohoof 1

My favourite instrument... Well, besides my vocal chords, that title has to go directly to the generic guitar:

post-10276-0-81505700-1363952213_thumb.jpg

Either way, I would like to have a violoncello, or perhaps a harp. That would be nice too!

I also have a battery, a bass guitar, and a turn table, but I don't quite use them at all.

Edited by Lucifer Romulus
  • Brohoof 1

Out of the twelve that I do play, I love oboe best. Played correctly, it has a really sweet sound and great range, and I get all the solos in band. I've only been playing a year and a half, but I'm starting advanced lessons as several people have displayed interest in me. :)

Overall, my favourites are baritone, bassoon, cello, harp, and oboe. One day I plan on learning all of those.

My favorite musical instrument is the harp, because both its appearance and the sound it produces are absolutely beautiful. Perhaps one day I will buy one, and learn how to play it.

What kind? If you want a low priced pedal harp (the big ones used in orchestra), they can cost upwards of $10000, easily, for 46 strings. Lever harps start around $4000 but have much less range depending on how many strings you want (19 is the cheapest, obviously.) Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 2

I suppose that one of my favorite instrument is the violin. I've been playing that thing for most of my life, and I'm not too bad at all. I also play the piano but I don't really enjoy it.

My favorite instrument is the table. All you have to do is tap on it and create a catchy rhythm, and it can be played by anyone anywhere! 

• Brohoof 1

I don't play any instruments, but I've always loved them. My favorite is either the piano or the guitar. Yes, I know, two rather predictable sounding answers (I think), but that's because they're very good instruments! I've played some piano, casually by ear (never taken any classes), but I haven't really ever gotten a real keyboard, much less an actual piano. Which is too bad, but it's the way it is.

And I've never even held a guitar like you're supposed to, much less play it. I just like the sound of it!

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I could pick a favorite instrument to listen to. I pretty much love all the band instruments, from flute to tuba. But marimba is by far my favorite instrument to play, and there are some pretty cool pieces for it. I can spend so much time just looking up videos of people playing it on YouTube. :B

• Brohoof 1

I would say the saxophone, but I may be biased, because I used to play alto sax. It is one sexy instrument, though, you gotta admit.

Also, the theremin may be the most awesome instrument ever created in the history of ever.

Edited by Clover Heart
  • Brohoof 1

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

I've been playing the trumpet for almost eight years now.  I plan to keep playing in college and maybe even major in the instrument, depending on what I chose to do.

I would love to play piano.

• Brohoof 3

My favourite Genre of music is Dubstep...

So I guess....

The computer or the drums would be my favourite instrument.

That probably sounds incredibly pathetic.blush.png

• Brohoof 1

Even though I can't play either, mine are piano and the violin.

I can play piano a bit, but it is just the beautiful sounds that these instruments can create that entrances me. It is something I can easily relax to and they can get my emotions going.

• Brohoof 2

I have always loved the sound of Pianos, Ocarinas, and Violins. They all just sound so gorgeous to me~ 

I can only play the Piano and Ocarina though. 

Out of curiosity, how do everypony here learn how to play a new song on their instrument of choice? I can't read music so I have been learning by ear for years.

• Brohoof 1

I have always loved the sound of Pianos, Ocarinas, and Violins. They all just sound so gorgeous to me~ 

I can only play the Piano and Ocarina though. 

Out of curiosity, how do everypony here learn how to play a new song on their instrument of choice? I can't read music so I have been learning by ear for years.

For guitar, I mainly use tabs, for penny whistle, I learn by ear, and for piano, a mixture of learning by watching others play and by ear. 

This is, of course, when I used to play my instruments more regularly. I haven't learnt anything new in a while. 

Being a "band-geek" myself, I always have a love for music that you actually learn and play to entertain people.

Currently playing (can read music, not self-taught all the way) :

Clarinet.jpg

Although being in band since 5th grade, and now a freshmen, Bb Clarinet is still my main-go. My school and my family just can't afford any Saxes, although It's a natural switch from the Clarinet

Piano is another story, me only playing self-taught, and not reading the Key Signature that it is in to read the music. All I know so far music wise is half and whole steps, and that the lowest note and all of It's octaves are C... XD Other than that, I'll just play an occasional Zelda or Mario song by ear. Never played the Harpsichord, but what's the difference? It only plucks the strings instead of hitting them! (Oh, and the colors are mixed on the keys...)

MIM_Double_Manual_Piano_CN5266.jpg

harpsichord4cc.JPG

What I want to play:

Alto Sax:

633760530517274346.jpg

Soprano Sax:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_460249.jpg

Despite being a wood-wind geek in band, if I were to also focus more on the orchestral side, no doubt about it, I'd like to play a Lyre, or a Harp... they're... unbelievable...

psa027.jpg

ARIANNA.jpg

• Brohoof 2

What kind? If you want a low priced pedal harp (the big ones used in orchestra), they can cost upwards of $10000, easily, for 46 strings. Lever harps start around $4000 but have much less range depending on how many strings you want (19 is the cheapest, obviously.)

I pretty much don't know anything about harps, but I'm not surprised that they're that expensive. If I'm able to get a good job someday, to the point where I could afford to spend that kind of money, then I would buy the best one I could. Otherwise, I would buy the best balance I could find between price and quality.

• Brohoof 1

I pretty much don't know anything about harps, but I'm not surprised that they're that expensive. If I'm able to get a good job someday, to the point where I could afford to spend that kind of money, then I would buy the best one I could. Otherwise, I would buy the best balance I could find between price and quality.

Lapharps are much cheaper, and easier to transport, but are more limited in versatility and there are some *really* cheap pieces of junk on the market, so be careful if you start looking at them more seriously. 

• Brohoof 1

Bass guitar. There are lots of different ways you can play a bass guitar and lots of great sounds you can get from one. My favourite kind of bass guitar is the 8 string, which has little strings placed above the regular strings that are normally tuned an octave higher to get a sweet sound when you strike both strings at once. I also love fretless bass guitars. 

Edited by Chill Mists (Chilly)
  • Brohoof 1

Mine would have to be the acoustic guitar. It's got a really nice sound to it, very relaxing and calm. It's like one of those instruments you'd play whenever you'd feel down.

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
(edited)

As a musician, it's only natural for me to ask, what's your favorite instrument to listen to?

Orchestra_mogano.jpg

Even though I'm a pianist/cellist/percussion for a long time, my favorite instrument is the harp. When I first heard it live, I fell in love and became the harpist's boyfriend just so I can hear her practice (She was pretty too, but that was a big reason regardless XD)

So that's my little description as to why I like the harp the most. What instrument do you enjoy listening to the most, and why? Piano? Violin? Something exotic like the Erhu? Ocarina?

Or maybe you're an electronic type, who enjoys the synthesizer? Dubstep beats? Discuss.

Edited by Carbon Maestro
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Trumpet , I used to play it in my high schools's band (but teacher had garbage taste in music).

I love the role it plays in a lot of peices, paticularly some of the Red Army Choir/ and semeon tchernetsky's peices.

Edited by Sergei
  • Brohoof 2

I like playing loads of instruments but for me I like playing the bongos. I like to give it that epic feeling, like you would here in the Halo theme which is just incredible. I also enjoy playing around with synthesizers, since I love to hear Isao Tomitas type of music, :).
  • Brohoof 2