Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do people feel about Human-in-Equestria fan fiction?

DoctorWhovian1902

I *had* an idea for a Human-in-Equestria story, but I thought it wouldn't have the same magic as ponies at all. So I stayed with ponies.

But in my opinion in general, as long as it's well written and acclaimed, I'd enjoy them. But like others said, I still want the same spark in Equestria as a pony rather than a human myself.

• Brohoof 1

Not a fan of those, I didn't mind it back when the series in the 1980s, but it was probably because "a group of 8yearold+ children" sounds more appropriote than "27+old soldier" "22+old college dropout".

Maybe I'm just generalizing too much, but I just find them to outlandish to be taken seriously, even if most aren't meant to

Edited by Megas75

• 8 years later...

I enjoy them for the most part. Although when It's clear that it's just following the same tedious steps such as: pulled from earth via portal or magic, Immediately setting up a friendship with the mane 6, Gets told they can't go home, Protagonist acts frustrated or sad, the pity party begins etc. It just has to at least seem like it Isn't just the writer's fantasy. 

Self inserts don't bother as it does with others as I get why some want to write one, they just has to provide an interesting and reasonable story. For example a story where the human feels like they have little to no choice but to become a villain to achieve their goal whatever that may be, and aren't scared to stab the ponies in the back rather then following the usual pattern.    

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I think it concerns to the topic and the theme of the story. Having a love story with some filly is often boring to watch for me.

Go to watch this comics:

https://www.deviantart.com/bigsnusnu/gallery/44896141/a-rare-rarity-day

It's about a human turned into Rarity, but the story is really interesting and the mind transformation of the human is SUPER unique. I almost cried at the end.

I like HiE stories, some of my favorite MLP:FIM stories are HiE. Not that I would want to be in the position of any of the protagonists of those stories, but its nice to read a story where the protagonist does not consider such a trip to be one of the worst things that could happen.

PoE can also be interesting, but usually less believable - I'm pretty sure a human in Equestria would have a slightly easier time than a pony on Earth, even if it is just because ponies would believe an explanation of "I am from a different planet, somehow got teleported here". Such stories, therefore have to either revolve around the protagonist keeping ponies a secret, the protagonist has to live in some very isolated area or the pony turns into a human upon arrival (or later). Anyway, these stories have many opportunities for "fish out of water" comedy, which I like.

• Brohoof 1

It's gotta be well written for me. The huge issue with HiE stories is that some have these awfully generic characters. Even Anon counts...which he's mostly portrayed as snarky, sarcastic...and it takes a lot of time for ponies to get through to him...if I'm correct...

Since I don't read fanfiction, I shouldn't really have an opinion about it.

For the show, I think it would be very odd to have humans in Equestria. Equestria Girls kinda agreed with me.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not a huge fan of them myself. They certainly can be done well, but a lot of the time the human just ends up being either a complete Gary Stu with no real personality or character flaws, or the typical blank slate "Anon". The former being boring to read, and the latter just isn't my cup of tea.