Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you drive?

Rainbow    Dash

So after getting experience under my belt i have observed the way i drive. I usually stick to the fog line(fog line is the white strip on your right) and leave space between my lane and the other lane. I'm also slow to accelerate since slow acceleration saves gas. I always signal 300 feet before my turn off and i leave at least one car space between me and the driver in front of me. I can also do a three point turn and park perfectly(i have a truck so thats saying something)

My question to you is this. How do you drive and how good are you at following the basic rules of the road?

Just to humourously add in some places if you accelerate too slow you do run the risk of being rearended.

I just drive; I guess...Never put any sort of thought into it.  For highway driving I normally drive by means of looking ahead and gauging turns on the lines about 600 feet ahead.

I'm too lazy for that stuff. I drive like a lazy person as long as I'm in my lane and I'm not tailgating. I tend to forget to signal and speed etc.

I drive the way my instructor told me too. Apart from following the rules, I also do stuff like accelerate as quickly as possible every time I drive onto another road. I mean really just push the pedal down.

My instructor told me it's important to get up to speed as fast as possible so that I don't block the flow of traffic. Basically a good excuse to get the revs up to maximum.

There's not much more I guess, I set the indicator when it seems sensible, I drive around corners really slowly, but then again, when coming out of them I just put my foot down.

On the Autobahn I usually drive at 140, going faster isn't much use because the rules state you need to keep right. So basically it's always jumping from the right lane to the left lane and back again, overtaking dozens of trucks.

I always keep allot of distance to the cars in front of me, just looking at other drivers driving 1m apart from each other just freaks me out.

As for speed, I always drive as fast as possible, unless of course it seems like a good idea not to do so. For example when the road is covered in snow.

Edited by CloudsdaleCompanion

After I have been driving for a few years and have had my share of vehicles I have come to the conclusion that there is a time and a place to drive fast and a time and a place to drive normally.

Since I own two vehicles that have some horsepower under their belts it's a little hard not to put the ol' pedal down once and a while. Usually I know a good place to open her up and let those horses sing, but it really depends on the area. Sure I can go 120mph and better in my 06' Pontiac GTO featuring a 6.0 Liter LS2 engine and a six-speed manual transmission, and even my 1982 Chevrolet SIlverado has some giddyup with her 350cu in 5.7 Liter three-speed. But it's when and where you put the pedal down that is important.

Just like grandaddy always says, "Speedin' is fine as long as you ain't stupid bout' it." 

For a conclusion, here is a cheesy inspirational message. 

Life is like a dang ol' highway man, sometimes what you gotta do is take her slow and cruise on by, but sometimes you gotta stand on the dang ol' gas man and accel with something great, I tell ya what.

Other people don't know how to drive, the speed limit is a recommendation, signalling is common courtesy, give the guy ahead of you some space (unless they're slow, then rage is permitted.) And as long as you get from A to B, you're alright, whatever happened inbetween is all in the past now (unless the cops saw it.)

So basically, I'm your typical Saskatchewan driver.

• Brohoof 1

I'm only 14, but I'll be able to start driving pretty soon. I imagine I'll probably have Road Rage, but I've been observing from the passenger seat and hopefully will be able to watch the road. I'll find out in 2 months, though.

The way I was taught to drive, I am fully capable of pulling some Dukes of Hazzard-esque maneuvers if I needed to, although since my first car accident (not my fault) I've gotten so paranoid that I now drive extremely cautiously. I don't drive too fast. I don't drive too slow. I drive perfectly between the white and yellow line. Essentially I drive really well, but I'm freaking out inside every time I get behind the wheel.

Oh, but if anyone tailgates me or highbeams me, ROAD RAGE! :angry:

Well despite the fact I'm 15 and I've been 15 for a while I just recently got the chance to practice and its only been in parking lots so far so yeah..

I have a feeling the first time I get on the road it could be dangerous :P.

Probably just inexperienced though lol. Soon I'm sure I'll get a chance to get on the road.

• Brohoof 1

You will have to excuse the quality, but this is how things usually go for me.

But in all honesty, I try to drive smart. I never try to speed around someone if it's not going to get me anywhere. I always look ahead to see if it's worth it. I usually stay in the lane I need to be in. I tend to drive 5-10 miles over the speed limit. I accelerate fast enough so no one gets upset with me. I don't like to try to squeeze in between cars when switching lanes, unless I have no other choice. I try to brake early enough so I don't brake hard. Braking hard to often and wear out your brakes faster. I adjust my driving habits a bit depending on which city I'm in.

I keep safe distance from car in front and myself. 

Mostly use signal lights, unless no one is behind me or in front of me. 

I begin coasting and tapping on breaks when stop sign and red light are nearing.

but..

When car was stock (400hp+stock tune)

I floored as soon as possible to get up to speeds.

accelerated coming out of turns

Now that car is no longer stock(~500hp+tune):

I accelerate at a good pace not flooring it

and I make sure I'm completely out of the turn before accelerating.

after all my mods by back end likes to fish-tail and try to get out from under me if I floor it.

Doesn't help that my tires aren't rated for winter and we've been getting cold weather here.  

in the end, I guess I just became a even safer driver after I've added hp to my car ;)

Edited by Gigachip
  • Brohoof 3

Recklessly.

Red light, green light? What's the difference?

Yellow light = Drive REALLY fast.

Stop sign? More like Slow sign!

Speed limits? What are those?

My insurance rates are through the roof all because I'm a 19 year old male, so I'm gonna give them a reason to make my rates so high! Go go gadget: Horn!

• Brohoof 6

I try to drive relaxed, be nice to other road users, be fuel efficient... anyhow, I mostly end up by not giving any thought to driving philosophy while desperately trying to find that dawn route... I'm said to have the orientation of a frying pan.

I'm a safe, responsible driver, despite being only 18.  I signal all my turns, keep a safe distance away from other cars, never go more than 10 mph over the limit, and resist the urge to kick tailgaters in the teeth, they're by biggest pet peeve.  Usually when I'm being tailgated off of the highway, I slow down.

I drive rather courteously and pretty much obey all the rules of the road, including the posted speed limits. Heck, I'm already in a car, why do I need to put myself and everyone else at risk to arrive at my destination a whopping 2 minutes earlier? I do ocassionally push it, but I never go more than ten kilometres per hour over the limit. I also drive with the assumption that everybody else is insane.

One area though that I am pretty aggressive is in roundabouts. I signal on and signal off and push in at the right moment. Contrary to popular belief, the roundabout doesn't need to be COMPLETELY EMPTY before entering it. Just be smart and logical and you can push through them really easily and safely while being assertive.

Edited by Celtore

I am extremely cautious while driving. I observe every car near me, and if they are accelerating/slowing down, and what direction they are heading. It has saved me from multiple crashes from idiots that don't know how to drive. I usually use my turn signals, though the exception being on a left or right turn lane only. Don't know why you would bother with your blinkers on that.  :huh:

I use my turn signal for, like, everything. 

Turning on a dirt road? Turn signal.

Pulling into my driveway? Turn signal.

Choosing and pulling into a spot in a parking lot? Turn signal.

Of my friends, I'm probably one of the better drivers. Due to the fact that my car has dealt with a plethora of problems, I have turned into a very alert driver. Borderline cautious...

Granted, I don't live in a very populated area so traffic is not very common, but the times I have driven in a city, I have done reasonably well.

• Brohoof 3

I'm the only person I know who keeps enough space between my car and the one in front of mine for someone else to get in front of me without an issue.  I do this for several reasons:

1. To give myself more time to react if a car suddenly stops.

2. As a favor for other drivers.

3. Because seriously, having one more car in front of you won't slow down your commute by any noticeable amount.

I do tend to take too many risks when it comes to running yellow lights, though.  That's probably something I should work on.  "Okay, if the light turns yellow after I pass that pole, I can make it.  Crap, it just changed!  IcanmakeitIcanmakeitIcanmakeitIcanmakeit..."

Edited by Pony Joe
  • Brohoof 1