Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you drive?

Rainbow    Dash

I ride a motorbike, i sit slightly to the left of the center of the road as this is seen as neither aggressive or passive, when i first started riding i sat too far left and people would pass me at the stupidest times, i ride around the city so i tend to shift up through my gears and sit in 4th most of the time, its a nice gear for riding at 30-40, whenever i need to pass i just change down, pass and then change back up.

I tend to sit on or just above the speed limit and will pass in traffic if the weather is fine, equally i will quite happily sit in traffic and roll along when the driving conditions are not suitable for passing.

As a motor-biker i have to be very cautious of other drivers, people tend to not notice us very easily so i watch for anyone turning out and ready myself to break and take evasive action if i feel i need to, it would be nice if more people paid attention to people on bikes but i do guess it is quite easy to miss us when you're in a rush.

I've had a few close calls with people nearly knocking me off, has anypony else had a close encounter with a motorbike? (either being the one on the bike or being the driver of the car)

Edited by Lost
  • Brohoof 2

Depends on the vehicle, time of day, mood, and music im listening to at the time. I baby my truck, but i beat the shit out of my friends cars. Not that i try to damage them, im just not gentle. Def nicer then i would be on a rental car. i honestly drive my truck like an old man.. since its damn slow and handles like a canoe in water. no sense trying to drive it like a race car. 

late nights on the backroads of CT though, i cross the double yellows on some corners, if theres no traffic in the other lane. what can i say? im a race driver in my own mind. that mindset is gonna be worse when my nissan is back on the road, since its basically a street driven race car anyway. cant wait to pick up a girl in a car with no interior, heat, radio, carpets, dashboard, or comfort of any sort. 

i dont break laws or speed excessively (10 over most of the time) but im a good driver compared to most of the people i come across everyday. 

a gentleman knows when its approperiate to hoon, and when it isnt. theres a time and a place to drive hard, and its typically on familiar backroads, late at night when theres less cops and traffic. watch out for deer, and dont high beam oncoming cars. aim for opposoms. 

I changed my mind, this is how i actually drive:

:3

Everyone should drive like this, it is most definitely the way forward, nopony would ever get in your way :D

First, I -- 14yrsoldcan'tdriveyetlel

If I could drive, though... I dunno, prolly just like everyone else. Not something I would really pay attention to. I like to think I'd be good at it, though... I'm pretty good (if I may say so myself) at driving our side-by-side Polaris Ranger, and I know there's huge differences between driving something like that and a car, but I think I could handle it.

Remembering how to get places would be my problem. :P

Dead center of my lane, availing myself of the 5 MPH leeway the law allows for speedometer differences, and always letting people merge when they signal or when it's apparent that they might need to soon. If I know that the lane to my left or right is ending I'll adjust my speed accordingly so anybody in that lane can get in front of me if necessary. I like to keep one hand on the bottom of the wheel and the other resting on my door or arm rest. Signaling is something I never forget to do but probably don't do as soon as I should.

One time a guy was riding me for a long time on I95 despite me being in the right lane and the left being wide open. Eventually he flashed his lights at me. I rolled down my window, pointed at the left lane, and I guess he got the point because he passed me. Not long after I caught up with him as he was sitting on the side of the road with a cop. I slowed down a bit and flashed him my best troll face as I continued on my merry way.

Speed limits aren't suggestions.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I singal for all turns and lane changes, but rarely for pulling away from the curb. My average speed is 3-4mph faster than the speed limit, but more like 5-8mph over when I'm in a hurry. I am almost always just driving with my right hand, but every once in a while just my left thumb at the bottom of the steering wheel. And sometimes my left knee, when I'm doin' somethin'. Like eating. I stay dead center of the lane and check my mirrors often. My following distance depends on the speed, and if the person is going the speed limit. If they aren't, I'm right behind them.

So, yeah. Not the best, but I've seen a lot worse.

I don't drive yet, no. But my mom drives well, and I sure as well plan to drive well, signaling leaving space, not speeding, being completely aware of my surroundings, etc. because, well, I REALLY don't want to get into an accident. There's no reason why I would want an accident.

If you want to learn to drive better, abandon the automatics. Manual transmission cars force you to read the road differently, you focus more on traffic flow, and you might actually pay attention when driving. imagine that? 

besides the fun factor, ive become a more attentive driver, just by purchasing a stick shift car. learning to drive it will be a test of patience and perseverance, but its worth it. 

For being the quiet, reserved person I am, it's rather odd how fast and erratic I drive. Sometimes I find myself going 15-20 over without even realizing it. I must have picked it up from my dad... At least I don't drive with two feet like he does though.

It's a miracle I haven't gotten into an accident yet. I find myself stopping on a dime behind people far too often, because I tend to zone out when I'm on the road, and I don't realize that I have to stop until the last second. 

The only thing I drive is people crazy! But the economy is bad so I take the bus..gas, insurance, maitenence..all things one can't afford on a security guard salary.

OMG

I'm a security guard too!

Ain't that just the bees knees?

I work through Securitas, which security company do you work with?

REDLINE ALL THE GEARS! DRIFT ALL THE TURNS!

Lol, but in seriousness, I'm typically a catious driver in town as there is no need to be speeding around when the whole town is only a couple square miles. On the highway however, I'm pretty agressive. Alot of stupid drivers in New Jersey so everyone's on edge.

However, I love to drive fast, and I can think of many instances where my 90hp Jetta TDI has gone airborne or did a 180. Empty parking lots have to be good for something, right? The reservation right near where I live is filled with twists and turns, so I love to take my car up there every now and then and have bit of fun (when no else is around, that is). Though, 9 times out of 10 I'll stay off open roads when I fool around, no need for anyone to get hurt while I'm having fun.

Because it's a rotary engined car, the Mazda Rx8 I'm getting HAS to be redlined often, so I'm sure I'll have fun with it when I get it. ;)

• 9 months later...

Being the driver of a small car (a Prius), I tend to be its stereotypical driver: courteous, driving the speed limit when its safe, give to the poor on the side of the street...I'm starting to get off topic lol!

I have never gotten into any collision that was completely my fault (one was two of us backing up in a lot, the other one was me getting rear ended). I do have a low temper, so that can possibly affect my driving if it's that bad, and I hate it when I keep my turn signal on for a long time trying to change lanes to reach the exit yet nobody gives me a dam chance...that's another story meh.

Oh yeah, and I hate being tailgated, especially when I am in the non-passing lane driving the speed limit at the minimum. I always keep a good distance from the front car to avoid hitting someone or annoying them. I don't know what you need to know, so if you must ask for more, shoot me a message, not that you will or anything lol.

I am not the greatest out there, but certainly not a bad driver.  I accelerate at a smooth rate and brake much the same. I usually stick to the left side of my lane, and I signal at a reasonable distance. As for speed, I rarely drop below the posted minimum.

When I'm driving I follow my instincts, so sometimes it's slow and steady while other times it's faster. So there isn't really one way I drive, since it all depends on how the road conditions are. I follow the traffic laws and always try to show other drivers consideration.

It's often good to follow a steady pace while driving, there are times when you can put the pedal to the metal and other times were finding a steady pace is good. For long distances it's good to have a steady pace, it's also better for the car itself to not constantly having to accelerate so it's also good to keep a steady speed. It's all about planning what you're going to do next, since that way you're able to keep a steady pace.

Of course, when it comes to having fun it's also good to know the roads so you can do so safely. For me driving is a very good way for me to relax, so I'm always very relaxed while I'm driving and I love driving.

keep-calm-and-love-driving-3.png

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

^ This is literally how I drive every day of my life on the edge and looking to go fast. Heck I have 99 lives so why not eh? 

Naw xD I drive alright I suppose I have not been in a wreck yet since I first started driving so I am glad about that. Driving is relaxing depending on were you live and etc. I live way out in the country with very little traffic and scenic areas. So it is rather enjoyable.  

Edited by Ticking Timebomb
  • Brohoof 2

Well enough.   enough said.

xD Well enough and don't forget to Install Gentoo while your driving!  

I drive pretty crazy, like imagine a guy who runs over people on the sidewalk in Grand Theft Auto V. That is how I drive.

1385338694190.png

Keep this loco coco out of the road! He be killing ponies and humans alike with his insanity!  

• Brohoof 3

1385338694190.png

Keep this loco coco out of the road! He be killing ponies and humans alike with his insanity!  

I have you know I don't run over humans or ponies! Just deer in my headlights!

• Brohoof 1

@@Scootalove,

No my mom is literally the worst driver ever... She one time was pulling out of my friends driveway and literally destroyed their mailbox because she could not see it. Also whenever she parks, I do not know why, she parks over the parking line taking up two spaces. She does that quite frequently so I usually drive if I am ever going anywhere with her xD. 

When I drive, I drive, when I don't drive, I install Gentoo.

Drivin' and installin' like the bossman peguinman you are brotha! 

• Brohoof 1