Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gym goers and such

MrMammal

you can do both ont he floor with like a pillow or something. It will help ensure that you don't extend too far back which can be nice. Also it seems you are lacking some back, so perhaps bend over rows, (the pull ups), basic pull exercises

Oh, I do bend over rows in forth day but I didn't know it's name. It would be awesome if had a pull up bar. I might do some flys but I think I would rather just going push ups right now.

Also these were the stats months ago, I stopped going to the gym afterwards.

Weight: 65.5 kg's

Shoulders: 111 cm's 

Arm: 33 cm's

Chest: 92 cm's

Waist: 86 cm's

Leg: 54,5 cm's

It was my second month's stat as I remember. Maybe not who knows.

Edit: My height is like 170 cm's.

Edited by Hitpony

Perfect timing for this thread, I just started a serious gym routine last week. 

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-body-type-are-you.html

My body type is somewhere between a Mesomorph and Endomorph (probably leaning toward Mesomorph). I have a bit of muscle, but I don't really have tone because of a layer of fat (I'm one of those swole-but-chubby kind of guys). So I'm trying to get rid of that layer while toning the muscle.

Ideally, I'd like to get a body something like Mark Wahlberg. I'm about his height and have a similar bone structure, and I've been looking up a lot of his old workout routines from his various movies (mainly "The Fighter" and "Pain and Gain"), while giving them my own twist.

When I go to the gym I don't really have "upper body" or "lower body" days. I like to get an all-around workout, with lots of cardio. I spend about 80 minutes in the gym a day on a 3-day-on, 1-day-off routine. Pretty much my workout goes like this:

- Start with stretching, then 20 minutes of cardio (either a treadmill or bike).

- Then some machines. Usually leg exercises first. I go for high-rep/low-resistence routines, so I do several-dozen (usually around 30-40) reps at around 50lbs.

- Then more cardio, in this case, a rowing machine.

- Then arm and core machines. Again, high-rep/low-resistence. I follow this for my core, it's amazing: http://www.menshealth.com/celebrity-fitness/mark-wahlberg-fighter-workout

- Then some cardio and a cool-down.

Then a shower and some whey.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 2

Oh, I do bend over rows in forth day but I didn't know it's name. It would be awesome if had a pull up bar. I might do some flys but I think I would rather just going push ups right now.

Also these were the stats months ago, I stopped going to the gym afterwards.

Weight: 65.5 kg's

Shoulders: 111 cm's 

Arm: 33 cm's

Chest: 92 cm's

Waist: 86 cm's

Leg: 54,5 cm's

It was my second month's stat as I remember. Maybe not who knows.

Edit: My height is like 170 cm's.

metric!! AHHHH. good thing I like metric :P haha ya you don't really need a gym for much. You can do whatever on a good budget or for free. I like it cause it makes things easy and some machines you need cause you can't substitute with free weights.

Perfect timing for this thread, I just started a serious gym routine last week. 

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/what-body-type-are-you.html

My body type is somewhere between a Mesomorph and Endomorph (probably leaning toward Mesomorph). I have a bit of muscle, but I don't really have tone because of a layer of fat (I'm one of those swole-but-chubby kind of guys). So I'm trying to get rid of that layer while toning the muscle.

Ideally, I'd like to get a body something like Mark Wahlberg. I'm about his height and have a similar bone structure, and I've been looking up a lot of his old workout routines from his various movies (mainly "The Fighter" and "Pain and Gain"), while giving them my own twist.

When I go to the gym I don't really have "upper body" or "lower body" days. I like to get an all-around workout, with lots of cardio. I spend about 80 minutes in the gym a day on a 3-day-on, 1-day-off routine. Pretty much my workout goes like this:

- Start with stretching, then 20 minutes of cardio (either a treadmill or bike).

- Then some machines. Usually leg exercises first. I go for high-rep/low-resistence routines, so I do several-dozen (usually around 30-40) reps at around 50lbs.

- Then more cardio, in this case, a rowing machine.

- Then arm and core machines. Again, high-rep/low-resistence. I follow this for my core, it's amazing: http://www.menshealth.com/celebrity-fitness/mark-wahlberg-fighter-workout

- Then some cardio and a cool-down.

Then a shower and some whey.

ALRIGHTY! Glad to hear your motivation and goals! Time to give my input! I hope you don't mind :P. I don't know what you look like now or how big you are only that you look like Mark Wahlberg with a little extra fat? haha

What I get from reading this, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you do full body work outs 3 days in a row then take a rest day and repeat?

What you do comes down to a simple thing. DO WHAT YOU LIKE. Don't take a program and do it because it's what somebody else did and they got a good look. If you don't like an exercise or anything really don't do it make an adjustment. I say this only because you say you do a lot of cardio and I personally hate cardio (at least int he gym I run when I play sports). 

Anyway to your workout:

Stretching- I am going to assume (again correct me if I am wrong) that you do static stretching(stretch and hold). This is actually not the best thing to do before a work out. Dynamic stretching is way better to wake up and ready your muscles for the work out ahead.

Cardio- It's not terrible. It can get your heart rate up before a work out and get the blood flowing I just don;t do it. Also you have to be careful with how much cardio you do if you are trying to gain because if can make it harder. Also I personally wouldn't suggest doing cardio in the middle of an exercise. If you want 2 cardio sessions I would say warm-up and cooldown.

Machines- I'm gonna group the rest into here. I have nothing against full body work outs and I even like them. Why do you do it 3 days in a row though? I'm just curious. If you are going to be working out that much it is generally a better idea to break up your work out days into groupings so you can do continuous cycles and give the areas you worked good recovery instead of only 1 days rest after 3 days continually working them.

For Example: (2 days on, 1 off)

1: Chest/Back

2: Bis/Tris

3: Rest

4: Legs

5: Shoulders/Abs/Calves

6: Rest

Repeat

Or do chest/tri, back/bis, etc.

I like to do something along those lines switching it up every couple months. I like to keep shoulders calves and abs on a day because they are mostly minor compared to the other muscles so they are just a nice grouping. 

Anyway! Back on track. It also seems that you are going for muscle endurance over muscle gain or hypertrophy. If you already have the muscle size you want that's not bad but if you want to get bigger you might want to make some more adjustments.

Abs- I'll leave this alone since you seem to like it and that's whats important.

Shower/Whey- Hell ya! Best part (added with a smoke cause I'm terrible). But better than chugging a protein shake try to eat like a PB&J sandwich or some simple carbs. I always eat some honey or have some milk with my shake and some quick snack. This is because right after your done working out your body is in a catabolic state so it wants to break down your tissues for energy so you give it something to satisfy it's need while the protein or dinner or whatever comes next is taking time to take affect. 

Sorry that's a tone of words and probably grammar mistakes and such. I hope that makes sense and if you have any questions on the crazy post lemme know!

I'm not a major gym nut, per se, but going to the gym is the ONLY way I can get a workout. My ADD and tendency to be lazy at home makes it difficult for me to work out when I'm in my room. Sometimes I'll go for a walk during the summer, but I don't do much else at home. So that's why I use the gym.

With that said, I like Planet Fitness because they have a yearly promotion where you pay $99 for a full-year of unlimited fitness training. It saves money in the long run and it's worth the price if I can use the gym 24/7. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a major gym nut, per se, but going to the gym is the ONLY way I can get a workout. My ADD and tendency to be lazy at home makes it difficult for me to work out when I'm in my room. Sometimes I'll go for a walk during the summer, but I don't do much else at home. So that's why I use the gym.

With that said, I like Planet Fitness because they have a yearly promotion where you pay $99 for a full-year of unlimited fitness training. It saves money in the long run and it's worth the price if I can use the gym 24/7. 

My first gym was planet fitness as well. It's a good gym

I used to do P90X at home but I lost my motivation about 10LBS short of my goal weight. I just joined a new gym that opened up in town and plan to reach that goal weight. Maybe this thread can help keep me on track.

img-1183894-1-830px-Yeah_Pegasus_YEAH!!_

I hope so! working out is fun and extremely healthy and can benefit nearly every aspect of your life.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I usually workout about 2-3 hours 5-6 times a week. Sadly gained some weight recently from bad eating habbits and being inconsistant, so I am going to have to discipline my eating and stay consistant to lose about 10-20lbs I have recently gained.

I do natural body building and cardio
- Former Marine

True: After you workout for 2-3 hours of cardio, you'll be surprised to see how happy you become, you'll be happily insane.

Edited by Searacole
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I usually workout about 2-3 hours 5-6 times a week. Sadly gained some weight recently from bad eating habbits and being inconsistant, so I am going to have to discipline my eating and stay consistant to lose about 10-20lbs I have recently gained.

I do natural body building and cardio

- Former Marine

True: After you workout for 2-3 hours of cardio, you'll be surprised to see how happy you become, you'll be happily insane.

Yea it's true that going to the gym helps a lot with gaining mass or losing fat but the number important thing for your healthy gains or losses is the nutritional aspects. 

Remember:

A good work out starts in the kitchen, and ends in the gym.

I do love to work out when I'm angry or upset and feel 100% better after it's nice. Though why does everybody expect me like cardio so much :( haha

• Brohoof 1

i prefer to go to the gym in the morning, i find it helps both my metabolism  and my brain power. during the week i have arm day, leg day, chest day, core day, during those workouts i try to fit a 45 minuet cardio workout (mostly consisting of running) before i start, i also have a friend that i go with every morning, i find it helps allot when you have someone who goes with you punctual  And although some people don't like them, i find that a protein shake after a workout and a small cardio session after working out helps the muscle build and helps with the soreness afterword (i am not the biggest fan of going to school feeling sore) 

• Brohoof 2

I, personally don't go to the gym due to the cost of a membership and I'm fairly in shape. I can motivate myself to run by listening to music and focusing on the beat if I feel like I'm getting tired. I'm trying to improve my endurance by running distance. I do, however, have trouble motivating myself to workout to build muscle (mostly core muscle). I can workout in a group with other people but on my own I don't and I think it's due to a lack of space in my house to do anything like that. 

• Brohoof 1

i prefer to go to the gym in the morning, i find it helps both my metabolism  and my brain power. during the week i have arm day, leg day, chest day, core day, during those workouts i try to fit a 45 minuet cardio workout (mostly consisting of running) before i start, i also have a friend that i go with every morning, i find it helps allot when you have someone who goes with you punctual  And although some people don't like them, i find that a protein shake after a workout and a small cardio session after working out helps the muscle build and helps with the soreness afterword (i am not the biggest fan of going to school feeling sore) 

ya I love working out with a partner and find that it helps a lot to keep you honest and motivated because they can help give you that extra push and they won't let you wimp out of stuff if you feel lazy

I, personally don't go to the gym due to the cost of a membership and I'm fairly in shape. I can motivate myself to run by listening to music and focusing on the beat if I feel like I'm getting tired. I'm trying to improve my endurance by running distance. I do, however, have trouble motivating myself to workout to build muscle (mostly core muscle). I can workout in a group with other people but on my own I don't and I think it's due to a lack of space in my house to do anything like that. 

music is a great motivation I hate working out with out it. Also for muscle building maybe it will help if you think about not needing to build muscle but jsut shed the fat? That's not me saying you need to lsoe weight but muscle is under fat. It's like that for everybody how big your muscles doesn't matter (unless you are a bodybuilder) so if you want to look in shape and have your muscles op just "tone up" work out but don't worry about lifting heavy or doing huge work outs. Just keep yourself active! If that makes sense... I have trouble saying whats on my mind sometimes

music is a great motivation I hate working out with out it. Also for muscle building maybe it will help if you think about not needing to build muscle but jsut shed the fat? That's not me saying you need to lsoe weight but muscle is under fat. It's like that for everybody how big your muscles doesn't matter (unless you are a bodybuilder) so if you want to look in shape and have your muscles op just "tone up" work out but don't worry about lifting heavy or doing huge work outs. Just keep yourself active! If that makes sense... I have trouble saying whats on my mind sometimes

I get what you're saying, but I have lost fat already. If I lost anymore weight I would almost be considered underweight, if it weren't for the arm/leg muscle. My body fat % is at 22% (and 21% is the lowest that can still be considered healthy) and from doing sports I've gained muscle everywhere except my core which is really important for the balance and flexibility I need for cheer. 

Yea it's true that going to the gym helps a lot with gaining mass or losing fat but the number important thing for your healthy gains or losses is the nutritional aspects. 

Remember:

A good work out starts in the kitchen, and ends in the gym.

I do love to work out when I'm angry or upset and feel 100% better after it's nice. Though why does everybody expect me like cardio so much :( haha

Haha! Yeah, I use to hate cardio so much! I'd rather worked hard on weights and lifting, but now I am finding more excuses to do cardio. Probably because I have increased my weight lifting to be a lot more work. :P

I wish I could motivate myself enough to run in the morning, but I fail to wake up at 4 or 5am run for however long, get ready for work walk around 8 hours on my feet and then 2-3 hours in the gym. I even thought of doing some exercises on the punching/kicking bag at night on top of that. lol talk about over doing it...

• Brohoof 1

I get what you're saying, but I have lost fat already. If I lost anymore weight I would almost be considered underweight, if it weren't for the arm/leg muscle. My body fat % is at 22% (and 21% is the lowest that can still be considered healthy) and from doing sports I've gained muscle everywhere except my core which is really important for the balance and flexibility I need for cheer. 

ahhh ok ya that makes sense. Ya the stomach, unfortunately, is where fat likes to hide the most. Since you seem to be fine I would suggest keep eating healthy and keep working on your core or actually start! haha I did gymnastics when I was younger and I know we got out core super strong and I'm sure you can't get away with that in cheer so cmon and step it up! ahaha I love making core work outs because they are so fun and easy so I can through some together for you if you want.

ahhh ok ya that makes sense. Ya the stomach, unfortunately, is where fat likes to hide the most. Since you seem to be fine I would suggest keep eating healthy and keep working on your core or actually start! haha I did gymnastics when I was younger and I know we got out core super strong and I'm sure you can't get away with that in cheer so cmon and step it up! ahaha I love making core work outs because they are so fun and easy so I can through some together for you if you want.

What I really need is someone to force me to do the workout. XD I have a core workout that I could be doing but I rarely ever get around to doing it.  

• Brohoof 1

What I really need is someone to force me to do the workout. XD I have a core workout that I could be doing but I rarely ever get around to doing it.  

I'll PM you motivational stuff everyday and tell you to do your core work outs then :P I'll help you see the light until you start PMing me to get me off my lazy butt and work on my core haha

I'll PM you motivational stuff everyday and tell you to do your core work outs then :P I'll help you see the light until you start PMing me to get me off my lazy butt and work on my core haha

YES! Sounds like a plan! I'll have to look up super inspiring quotes that will make you feel guilty if you don't get off your butt and build some core muscle. 

• Brohoof 1

I've been going to the gym, and I've noticed how much I can lift now starting only barely able to lift the bar 45 lbs last year when benching to now benching to 115 lb. My goal for benching during this semester to at least bench my weight which is 150 lbs. My only thing I notice when I go to the gym I am very biased. 

I'll run to warm up always a mile on the track. 2 laps then stretch then 10 laps. My track is 1/10 mile 

Bench/ deadlift/ squat

After I would go and lift weights I don't know the correct name of it, but maybe someone would know. I have a straight bar and pull it up in a bending motion from knees to my chest. Then another one where the bar is at my shoulders and I pull it down to my waist.

Leave and have a protein shake. 

I'm trying to build enough muscle to help with my career in the fire service. My thing though is while I am at college I play Ultimate Frisbee so I still want to be agile enough until college is done. 

Anyone have any tips I try to watch videos, but can't find anything I can get into. 

I guess you can say I go to the gym a little bit. I try to go 3 times a week for a half hour. (Please, Please, Please, don't laugh at me or say "That's not a real work out") I mostly stick with the tread mill or Elypticls (SP?) now, I gained a bit of weight and need to drop weight. And everyone who I have heard said you should only work on one thing at a time. Like lose the access weight first, then start lifting weight to add Muscle .

I've been going to the gym, and I've noticed how much I can lift now starting only barely able to lift the bar 45 lbs last year when benching to now benching to 115 lb. My goal for benching during this semester to at least bench my weight which is 150 lbs. My only thing I notice when I go to the gym I am very biased. 

I'll run to warm up always a mile on the track. 2 laps then stretch then 10 laps. My track is 1/10 mile 

Bench/ deadlift/ squat

After I would go and lift weights I don't know the correct name of it, but maybe someone would know. I have a straight bar and pull it up in a bending motion from knees to my chest. Then another one where the bar is at my shoulders and I pull it down to my waist.

Leave and have a protein shake. 

I'm trying to build enough muscle to help with my career in the fire service. My thing though is while I am at college I play Ultimate Frisbee so I still want to be agile enough until college is done. 

Anyone have any tips I try to watch videos, but can't find anything I can get into. 

ULTIMATE FRISBEE!!! YES! I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and barely do cardio and I'm still agile enough for Ultimate, so don't worry about that. What tips are you looking for I would love to help! Also are you talking about a bent over row?

My one general tip would be that you seem to do general full body work out & cardio but don't jsut focus on main muscles (legs, chest, back) hit your core, shoulders, traps.

I guess you can say I go to the gym a little bit. I try to go 3 times a week for a half hour. (Please, Please, Please, don't laugh at me or say "That's not a real work out") I mostly stick with the tread mill or Elypticls (SP?) now, I gained a bit of weight and need to drop weight. And everyone who I have heard said you should only work on one thing at a time. Like lose the access weight first, then start lifting weight to add Muscle .

I'm not laughing at a 30 min work out. They are actually becoming popular with some clients because with how busy people are they can't always dedicate a full hour or more. 

As for the only focus on losing weight then gaining muscle, it's BS. Why can't you do both? The wonderful thing about resistance training is that is still burns calories and helps lose fat while you build muscle. Why can't you kill two birds with one stone?

P.S. Added to my first post where I will post something motivational daily(or I will try at least)

Edited by MrMammal

I have a gym membership, but because of the extra hours at work and the extra heavy lifting i do there.. its getting hard to get in a good exercise without already being exhausted or sore. Im getting used to most of the lifting, so the gym is looking like an option once again. And I can't wait till the weather gets better so i can go riding my bike too. To much snow and ice on the ground at the moment.

I don't really have much of a inspirational story.. used to be really out of shape. Didn't have much money for food so i was pretty much skin and bones. Moving anymore then just around the house was a solid 'no'. When i finally got called in for a interview at the place i work now, not having a car meant walking to and from work... so that's what i did. Wasn't long before my co-workers noticed i was too weak to do much of anything, and it was really hard to deny it. I kept with it though, telling everyone i was just out of shape, that i would get better at it. About a month into the job, i got a bike. I used to ride bikes as a kid all the time, but not once since then. I had no idea just how thrilling it was, especially when you go down a really steep road... That feeling of the wind rushing past you. That feeling that told me this was only the beginning, that i was capable of much more. Soon after i got my gym membership, and visited 5 days a week. I wasn't very strong, but i was having fun and getting better and faster at work... until i got a promotion. (yes i know, that's supposed to be a good thing and i was very happy about it) The weight load and hours increased, then the weather got cold... id walk into the gym, and almost fall asleep trying to do crunches. So i put a hold on going to the gym, and focused on work.

I have a roof over my head now and food in my fridge. May not be the ritz, but its more then i had before... growing up always being told id never get anywhere and that i should just give up or kill myself, Especially by people who you'd think wouldn't do say those things to you, made it really hard to want to try. Now i know i've proved them wrong in a small, yet rather big way.

Can't wait for spring, and my taxes to come back. Getting myself a car and i'll be going to the gym again.

• Brohoof 1

I walk about 1-2 hours a day (not speed walking, just a regular ole' walk), but other than that I don't go to the gym or specifically set out to exercise.

I've often been told I should lift because I have the body for it, but I can't be bothered. Being hot and sweaty isn't my style. Plus I'm lazy.

I'm going to gym 3 times a week (I'm about to go there now), sometimes 4. I go cardio, then I do some strengthening (with my own weight or light dumbbells) and another 1/2 of hour cardio in a pressure cabin.

But.. it has no effect on me.. ;( I gain weight easily and it seems like I'll never loose any but whatever.. at least I'm trying and noone can say that I'm fat because I'm at the computer all the time.

Edited by Suntouched Coco

ULTIMATE FRISBEE!!! YES! I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and barely do cardio and I'm still agile enough for Ultimate, so don't worry about that. What tips are you looking for I would love to help! Also are you talking about a bent over row?

My one general tip would be that you seem to do general full body work out & cardio but don't jsut focus on main muscles (legs, chest, back) hit your core, shoulders, traps.

I'm not laughing at a 30 min work out. They are actually becoming popular with some clients because with how busy people are they can't always dedicate a full hour or more. 

As for the only focus on losing weight then gaining muscle, it's BS. Why can't you do both? The wonderful thing about resistance training is that is still burns calories and helps lose fat while you build muscle. Why can't you kill two birds with one stone?

P.S. Added to my first post where I will post something motivational daily(or I will try at least)

I also forgot to mention when I go sometimes I would work on my pecks every once in a while,though my schedule is messed up and I go at random times typically at night though. I am not working out as much as I did during the fall due to having to walk in to the gym and I am never in the mood to walk in the cold. Any ways what I am trying to accomplish is to get a nice tone body. If I sit on the beach shirtless and see a guy who has a nice body I get embarrassed and cover up when I'm with friends though I don't really care. 

During the Fall or last semester I was working out at least 3 maybe more a week, after practice for Frisbee I would go to the gym. Have a protein shake and have as a meal Chicken and rice that I would cook on the stove. The rice would be the instant stuff 90 seconds microwave and the chicken would be breasts that I'd put some sauce on I also would drink water through out the day. I know I need to watch what I eat, but as a College student with little money and no car, I can't really get quality food. Any tips. and I believe the reason why I don't go as often as I used to is because I don't Frisbee due to the cold. 

I also forgot to mention when I go sometimes I would work on my pecks every once in a while,though my schedule is messed up and I go at random times typically at night though. I am not working out as much as I did during the fall due to having to walk in to the gym and I am never in the mood to walk in the cold. Any ways what I am trying to accomplish is to get a nice tone body. If I sit on the beach shirtless and see a guy who has a nice body I get embarrassed and cover up when I'm with friends though I don't really care. 

During the Fall or last semester I was working out at least 3 maybe more a week, after practice for Frisbee I would go to the gym. Have a protein shake and have as a meal Chicken and rice that I would cook on the stove. The rice would be the instant stuff 90 seconds microwave and the chicken would be breasts that I'd put some sauce on I also would drink water through out the day. I know I need to watch what I eat, but as a College student with little money and no car, I can't really get quality food. Any tips. and I believe the reason why I don't go as often as I used to is because I don't Frisbee due to the cold. 

I know how the college thing works but going grocery hopping can actually be pretty cheap if you do it right and if you have a meal pass just don't go for the burger and fries (at least not every day haha)

As for the cold why not throw indoor if you have an indoor arena or you can still throw with a hoodie on and such. Try think of going to the gym as a way to stay active during the off season and do Frisbee specific work outs.