Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gym goers and such

MrMammal

I know how the college thing works but going grocery hopping can actually be pretty cheap if you do it right and if you have a meal pass just don't go for the burger and fries (at least not every day haha)

As for the cold why not throw indoor if you have an indoor arena or you can still throw with a hoodie on and such. Try think of going to the gym as a way to stay active during the off season and do Frisbee specific work outs.

I see what your going at with this, any idea on types of food I should be looking for? I usually eat mostly only dinner and sometimes breakfest, and I'd have a whole wheat bagel. With cream cheese. I'll have a can of soda maybe one a day and drink it thoughout the course of 2 hours about. 

I see what your going at with this, any idea on types of food I should be looking for? I usually eat mostly only dinner and sometimes breakfest, and I'd have a whole wheat bagel. With cream cheese. I'll have a can of soda maybe one a day and drink it thoughout the course of 2 hours about. 

Look for more natural foods. The less ingredients the better. I would suggest eating more meals if you can. Chances are your body isn't getting the right amount of nutrients it wants to function fully. Look for whole wheats and grains, lean meats mostly, nuts are good too for snacks. Try to stay away from saturated fats also. Eggs, sandwiches, fish, chicken, rice, turkey, broccoli  bananas, and oats are some examples of good food.

Managed to get up at a decent hour today and got some actual breakfast. I got some skim milk, a fruit cup, and a muffin (Derpy would be so proud). I've always skipped breakfast and got up 10 minutes before class. I fuguired it's time to change that if I want to get my metabolism going.

Plus I just started taking XenadrineXT, and it's...wow. I'm jittery as hell right now.

Had a pretty decent workout yesterday. I went to a core-building class called "Ab Lab," that the school's rec center offered. It was 30 minutes of intense exercise that works pretty much the entire core. I ended up getting a REALLY bad charley horse in my left leg while planking, so I think I'm going to have to take it easy for a while. Plus I did some cardio beforehand as well as some bicep/tricep work afterwords.

Overall it was a shorter workout than normal, but just as (if not more) intense.

I think I'm going to do an all-cardio day today. Maybe some upper-body...

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 1

I basically deadlifted today... a lot haha I did a quick warm up followed by 8 sets of 1 @ 405lbs with box jumps(3 high) in between. After that I did a quick leg work out and did some biceps. Feeling good I'm thinking thursday I might go for a new leg press 1rm

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Bitches please, I play marching euphonium in drum corps.

I want to see all you body builders out there try to lift a 15-20 pound brass instrument to your face for 12 hours from 8 to 8 in the burning hot sun of August... In Florida! Now combine that with marching back and forth across a football field while producing an almost non-stop stream of air that needs to be heard loud and clear from the top of the bleachers. 

I have seen more than a few people collapse on the spot, we had to call about 3 ambulances over the course of the whole season and I don't think anyone got away without second degree burns from the sun alone.

So yes, I work out for about two months at the end of spring, I call it my warm up :)

For any non-band people, this is my instrument:

5058977ae0b01.preview-300.jpg

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)
  • Brohoof 2

Found a Shake Weight sitting in the back of a closet today and decided to give it a whirl (I'm on spring break at my parent's house so I'm away from the gym, so I'm pretty much just doing calisthenics). As horribly suggestive looking as it is to use the thing, it actually does give you a pretty decent workout. :P

I was a gym goer in the past two years, I don't know why I stopped going...probably because of IRL issues and school, and other commitments I had to deal with. So there wasn't really time. I was a huge fan of my local gym's Zumba program, alongside that, I did 1 hour treadmill, 30 min weightlifting, and 1 hour of boxing (they had a boxing gym too). Kept my confidence on track, wish I had extra time to go back again. 

(edited)

I want to see all you body builders out there try to lift a 15-20 pound brass instrument to your face for 12 hours from 8 to 8 in the burning hot sun of August... In Florida! Now combine that with marching back and forth across a football field while producing an almost non-stop stream of air that needs to be heard loud and clear from the top of the bleachers. 

I have seen more than a few people collapse on the spot, we had to call about 3 ambulances over the course of the whole season and I don't think anyone got away without second degree burns from the sun alone.

So yes, I work out for about two months at the end of spring, I call it my warm up :)

img-1246715-1-5058977ae0b01.preview-300.

holy crap are in DCI? (correct me if i'm wrong). thats so AWESOME :wub: what band do you play in?

i wish i could be in DCI, but they don't use woodwinds, lol. and i don't have time to learn another instrument.

i went to a DCI show once, i felt like my hair was blown back from the epicness.

OT: i was never into sports or exercise, but the one activity i do enjoy gymnastics! i took it a few times when i was a kid and loved it. and since i'm required to have a PE credit at college, i took beginner gymnastics this semester. i'm actually pretty decent at it, even though i'm kinda fat, lol. i can almost do a back handspring. gymnastics is so fun! ^_^

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

img-1246715-1-5058977ae0b01.preview-300.

What crops did you march man? That's what I marched in Scouts and the Cavaliers! What a blast that was! I miss it a lot but ya it's tough but why can't you do both that and bodybuilding? haha

I love going to the gym. I go once every two days to keep fit and trim. I do high weight and low reps due to being awful at low weight and height reps, so I end up only doing about 20-40 reps on any given machine, usually with at least 100 pounds as the weight. That way, I stay fit, but don't get too muscular.

I also do cardio, usually 8-15 minutes on a stationary bike, trying to keep my RPM over 100 the whole time, whilst avoiding going over 150, as the machine usually starts to violently shake at that point. I'd do treadmill, but I can't run to save my life.

As for motivation? I always liked this video, particularly:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

What crops did you march man? That's what I marched in Scouts and the Cavaliers! What a blast that was! I miss it a lot but ya it's tough but why can't you do both that and bodybuilding? haha

holy crap are in DCI? (correct me if i'm wrong). thats so AWESOME :wub: what band do you play in?

i wish i could be in DCI, but they don't use woodwinds, lol. and i don't have time to learn another instrument.

i went to a DCI show once, i felt like my hair was blown back from the epicness.

Lol I'm not in DCI, my band does drum corps for the brass & percussion after Marching season is over, it's year round except for late spring so that's really the only time I have to work out. As soon as I'm eligible to apply for the Bluecoats I'm moving straight to Ohio, I'm just about done with these Florida summers anyway.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

• 1 month later...

I know that its hard, but you should never give up on your goals. Sometime it takes a bit of stubbornness to get where you wanna go. I work as a personal trainer for anytime fitness and a lot of my clients have a hard time grasping this. It may take several months to see little changes and a few years to actually look like you are steps closer to your goals, but you just have to keep charging forward. I can speak from personal experience because I have been at both ends of the spectrum.

• Brohoof 1

While I do not go to the gym, I have a weight bench and stationary-bike in my basement that I use every day now. (Going to a gym is too expensive)

I love going to the gym. I go once every two days to keep fit and trim. I do high weight and low reps due to being awful at low weight and height reps, so I end up only doing about 20-40 reps on any given machine, usually with at least 100 pounds as the weight. That way, I stay fit, but don't get too muscular.

I also do cardio, usually 8-15 minutes on a stationary bike, trying to keep my RPM over 100 the whole time, whilst avoiding going over 150, as the machine usually starts to violently shake at that point. I'd do treadmill, but I can't run to save my life.

What do you mean too muscular? I am fourteen years old and I can easily do about 150 pounds of weight with 20-40 reps and I'm incredibly scrawny for my age.

Glad to see this thread back. 

For those of you who take whey protein, I think I've found the best stuff yet, and it's relatively new. It's Mark Wahlberg's brand of supplements called "Marked." I picked up a tub of it at Walgreens, and I've got to say, I'm really impressed by the quality. It is a good blend of proteins and amino acids, it mixes better than anything I've ever had before, and best of all, it tastes REALLY good. Even with just water it has a nice rich, creamy taste. 

After trying both GNC brand, as well as Body Fortress (don't get fooled by the claim that it has 50+g of protein. It might have it, but that much is just superfluous and much of it is wasted by the body), I think I found a keeper. :)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Well, I love working out, but I live in a mountain and the nearest gym is too far from my house. Because of that, I made my own training tools. I have a weight that I tie to five ropes which I connect to my fingers. I used to have a weight lifting equipment made of cement but I lost it. laugh.png

I usually don't use tools to work out. Most of the times, I train my arms with push up, with various position. Like with the back of the hands, fingers, palm, etc. Oh, and hand stand. That position is kinda scary. tongue.png

Well, it has been a pretty long time since the last time I did head stand.

Most of my trainings are about energy. Martial artists don't really use muscle to do heavy things. We use energy from our body. The Chinese calls it Qi, or just say life energy. The forms are heavy breathing trainings. You might be surprised to see skinny people breaks three to five layers of iron bar with one hand swing, but seriously, we can do that.

P.S. Do any of you people know a good way to make some more flesh? I guess I will need that.

Edited by Sky Warden

P.S. Do any of you people know a good way to make some more flesh? I guess I will need that.

Weight train in a way that has bulk in mind. That means do fewer reps, but do those reps with heavier weights. (As opposed to more reps with lighter weights, which usually leads to lean muscle). Also, eat plenty of protein. Whey is often the easiest way to get that protein. If you make whey shakes and you seek bulk, make them with milk instead of water.

Weight train in a way that has bulk in mind. That means do fewer reps, but do those reps with heavier weights. (As opposed to more reps with lighter weights, which usually leads to lean muscle). Also, eat plenty of protein. Whey is often the easiest way to get that protein. If you make whey shakes and you seek bulk, make them with milk instead of water.

Eggs count? I rarely eat meats. That's why I'm thin now. My arms are slim, but hard. I don't think I need a new training method. I'm just running out of source to make more muscle.

post-10241-0-59968900-1355149338.jpg

Just too skinny for an ideal body. :lol:

Eggs count? I rarely eat meats. That's why I'm thin now. My arms are slim, but hard. I don't think I need a new training method. I'm just running out of source to make more muscle.

Just too skinny for an ideal body. laugh.png

I would kill for your metabolism, though. :3

IIRC eggs are a pretty good source of mass-building protein. They release more slowly, and I think the longer a protein takes to be metabolized, the more likely it will lead to bulk.

(edited)

I would kill for your metabolism, though. :3

IIRC eggs are a pretty good source of mass-building protein. They release more slowly, and I think the longer a protein takes to be metabolized, the more likely it will lead to bulk.

post-10241-0-41293300-1360073893.jpg

Then kill!

LOL. Just do heavy breathing training. Try a simple push up. Exhale as you go down, and if you do it right, you will lose all of the air inside your lung when you reach the bottom. Hold them like that (your position and breath) until you can't hold it anymore, then go up slowly as you inhale. Inhale slowly. If you do it right, your lung will be full of air when you stop going up. Repeat.

Remember to focus your energy on your arm. That means let your legs loose. They're just for balance.

So eggs and milk will be enough? How often I must eat these things? I want to gain some weight. I mean, it's cool to be able to slip among the crowd with a slim body, but this is ridiculous. laugh.png

How about eating pattern? Do I have to wake up every 3 a.m for some snacks? :3

P.S. So I can blame you if I'm caught having a secret meal in the morning while everyone is asleep.

Edited by Sky Warden

I would try to get protein sources from whole food first (lean meats, fish, eggs, nuts, beans) then if you still need a protein supplement then by all means but I would stay away from stuff endorsed by famous people. I dont use a protein supplement at the moment, my current cutting diet has me so I dont really need that much protein and can usually get all the protein I need in a day from whole food sources. I also personally train high intensity/ high volume (heavy weight, high reps) but nothing lasts forever so I switch it up every few months or so

• Brohoof 1

SPAM MULTI QUOTE MWUAHAHA

Glad to see this thread back. 

For those of you who take whey protein, I think I've found the best stuff yet, and it's relatively new. It's Mark Wahlberg's brand of supplements called "Marked." I picked up a tub of it at Walgreens, and I've got to say, I'm really impressed by the quality. It is a good blend of proteins and amino acids, it mixes better than anything I've ever had before, and best of all, it tastes REALLY good. Even with just water it has a nice rich, creamy taste. 

After trying both GNC brand, as well as Body Fortress (don't get fooled by the claim that it has 50+g of protein. It might have it, but that much is just superfluous and much of it is wasted by the body), I think I found a keeper. smile.png

http://www.truenutrition.com/

for protein. Cheap and you can make your own and put what you want in it. I LOVE IT. Though I don't really take too many supplements anymore.

You are right about the 50+g protein though. While a supplement containing 60g of protein will in fact contain 60g of protein  a chunk of it is denatured by the process to gather it and turn it into powder so you can only use X amount of the total. That is why natural protein is better to take.

Well, I love working out, but I live in a mountain and the nearest gym is too far from my house. Because of that, I made my own training tools. I have a weight that I tie to five ropes which I connect to my fingers. I used to have a weight lifting equipment made of cement but I lost it. img-1425538-1-laugh.png

I usually don't use tools to work out. Most of the times, I train my arms with push up, with various position. Like with the back of the hands, fingers, palm, etc. Oh, and hand stand. That position is kinda scary. img-1425538-2-tongue.png

Well, it has been a pretty long time since the last time I did head stand.

Most of my trainings are about energy. Martial artists don't really use muscle to do heavy things. We use energy from our body. The Chinese calls it Qi, or just say life energy. The forms are heavy breathing trainings. You might be surprised to see skinny people breaks three to five layers of iron bar with one hand swing, but seriously, we can do that.

Way to go making your own equipment and working out! Awesome

Right on except natural protein is the best stuff to take in for your body. Whey supplements might be more convenient but not as effective.

Just too skinny for an ideal body. laugh.png

Eggs are the best! Sorry I love eggs I eat about 8 a day haha eggs and milk are great sources for complete protein.

I pretty much use whey because my options for healthy, natural protein is a bit limited on campus. If there's a high protein food on campus, it's probably deep fried. The only good one is probably the hard boiled egg cups you can buy in the campus store. Plus, whey already has servings of amino acids, which is cheaper than buying them individually.

Hopefully in the summer there will be better opportunities for natural protein.

So I have a question that I have been debating with a couple of my friends: should you have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like deadlifts? I know that it's safe to have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like say a bench press, but for something like deadlifts where if you drop the weight it won't kill you I don't see the point in having somebody make sure you won't hurt yourself. My friends disagree and say I'm nuts and am going to hurt myself blah blah blah

• Brohoof 1

Ugh... I've used this picture to much recently, but a few years back and over did it, I tore a few ligaments and lost a bunch of wieght. The pic below is a few weeks before that incident, sorry for the nude and douchey mess, I haven't yet discovered mlp at that point.

Now I gained around 25 more pounds but still retain the figure in the pic. I just seen to go to the gym 4 times a week in around 2 hour sections. I use a lot of different techniques so the list is to long to go in depth with, so if you want to talk more ill be willing to PM.

I love talking gym!!!!

PS- I look way less douchey now.... I promise...

So I have a question that I have been debating with a couple of my friends: should you have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like deadlifts? I know that it's safe to have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like say a bench press, but for something like deadlifts where if you drop the weight it won't kill you I don't see the point in having somebody make sure you won't hurt yourself. My friends disagree and say I'm nuts and am going to hurt myself blah blah blah

Good question, my bud tore his muscles doin dead lifts... But u don't use spotters, I do it till I drop the weights aswell but I doubt that's healthy, I suggest you get a spotter, plus working out with friends is more entertaining.

post-14701-0-36827600-1367510255.jpg