Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gym goers and such

MrMammal

Now I gained around 25 more pounds but still retain the figure in the pic. I just seen to go to the gym 4 times a week in around 2 hour sections. I use a lot of different techniques so the list is to long to go in depth with, so if you want to talk more ill be willing to PM.

I love talking gym!!!!

PS- I look way less douchey now.... I promise...

Good question, my bud tore his muscles doin dead lifts... But u don't use spotters, I do it till I drop the weights aswell but I doubt that's healthy, I suggest you get a spotter, plus working out with friends is more entertaining.

I'd love to talk gym. Just love it. I have been skinny my entire life but recently I have put on 30 pounds of lbm putting me right at 200 lbs with `(% body fat. Not my end goal but a good start.

So I have a question that I have been debating with a couple of my friends: should you have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like deadlifts? I know that it's safe to have somebody spotting you while you're doing something like say a bench press, but for something like deadlifts where if you drop the weight it won't kill you I don't see the point in having somebody make sure you won't hurt yourself. My friends disagree and say I'm nuts and am going to hurt myself blah blah blah

NO NO NO NO. Do not spot a deadlift. You will end up injuring more people that way :P

Also personal opinion here:

On deadlift you should never lift a weight that will cause your back to bend and force you to use improper form. Especially on deadlift when you are lifting such a heavy load improper form can cause injury quite easily or at least set you up for injury. Lift heavy sure but be careful when your form starts to suffer. Personally I never drop weights unless I severely misjudge the weight. Even when I 1RM I always lower the weight. That's just me though dropping it is whatever.. Just louder :P

• Brohoof 3

NO NO NO NO. Do not spot a deadlift. You will end up injuring more people that way tongue.png

Gonna quote you on this one next time they ramble on to me about how I'm doing things wrong and how I'm gonna hurt myself and how if they don't shut up I'm gonna hurt them.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with MrMammal, for beginners you should never use a weight so heavy that you deviate from proper form. Once you are a bit more experienced and conditioned than you can start weighing risk/reward of using heavy weight/ going for personal records. For most lifts you dont really need a spotter, aside from benching. I usually only have spotter help get the bar off my chest once I have finished my set. I also personally like dropping my deadlifts, lets the whole gym know how badass you are haha jk I dont know the exact reasoning but I recall performing the negative of a deadlift puts lots of strain on the lower back...

I would rather natural protein than those supplements. I'm not looking for a bulky body. True strength doesn't rely on how big your muscle is. It relies on your energy. I also need speed after all. Balance dude.

Well, I've started drinking more milk, with some Oreos. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

I don't do all the protein shakes or change my diet, I go to the gym to use the Treadmill, cycling machine etc. to keep fit. Although I did start doing weights yesterday which was pretty enjoyable ( but now I am having muscle pains.) So now I can offically say that now I lift, Bro.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with MrMammal, for beginners you should never use a weight so heavy that you deviate from proper form. Once you are a bit more experienced and conditioned than you can start weighing risk/reward of using heavy weight/ going for personal records. For most lifts you dont really need a spotter, aside from benching. I usually only have spotter help get the bar off my chest once I have finished my set. I also personally like dropping my deadlifts, lets the whole gym know how badass you are haha jk I dont know the exact reasoning but I recall performing the negative of a deadlift puts lots of strain on the lower back...

I was doing dead lifts today for the first time (bar + 45 on both sides...I could've done more but for the first time I though I'd take it light to focus on technique. Tried to clean on one...dayum). That was one thing I noticed, was that holding form was a lot more difficult on the down than the up.

So there are some exercises where it is fine/healthy to ignore the negative?

I was doing dead lifts today for the first time (bar + 45 on both sides...I could've done more but for the first time I though I'd take it light to focus on technique. Tried to clean on one...dayum). That was one thing I noticed, was that holding form was a lot more difficult on the down than the up.

Well, I don't think unqualified to answer but... I have worked out for around 9-10 years with few injuries. I suggest never really trying anything to risky, always stay safe, I always try to work out with a friend. There are defanantly things you can do by your self ( run, curl, etc.) but I just stayed on the safe side when it came to limbs.... But you should be warned that I tore a few muscles before from overworking them :s

I don't do all the protein shakes or change my diet, I go to the gym to use the Treadmill, cycling machine etc. to keep fit. Although I did start doing weights yesterday which was pretty enjoyable ( but now I am having muscle pains.) So now I can offically say that now I lift, Bro.

Haha, that made me laugh a bit :)

Also, if your not going for wieght loss but instead muscles gain you don't need to change your diet TOO much, because if you work out hard and constantly you'll shed weight from the running and gain the muscle from the other activities.

When I was around 18 ( after 3 years of working out) I decided to go on a strict diet, results were decent but dangerous.

Pretty much no. Assuming negative is referring to bad form lol. It's called bad for a reason. It will cause imbalances, increase injury risk, and/or do nothing productive. If you get to the point in an exercise where your form starts to turn bad just stop. Even cranking out a couple last reps in bad form can build habits that will cause you to revert to bad form if you struggle.

As for the deadlifts way to go! I know I barely did any weight for awhile until I got the form perfect. Then when I maxed for the first time (couple months later) I hit 375 but my form lacked. Worked on my form again then focused on heavier lifting with it and now I max 450 (as of couple weeks ago)

Pretty much no. Assuming negative is referring to bad form lol. It's called bad for a reason. It will cause imbalances, increase injury risk, and/or do nothing productive. If you get to the point in an exercise where your form starts to turn bad just stop. Even cranking out a couple last reps in bad form can build habits that will cause you to revert to bad form if you struggle.

As for the deadlifts way to go! I know I barely did any weight for awhile until I got the form perfect. Then when I maxed for the first time (couple months later) I hit 375 but my form lacked. Worked on my form again then focused on heavier lifting with it and now I max 450 (as of couple weeks ago)

No, I meant negative as meaning the lowering motion during a rep. I get told that it is bad to do the lift, and then just drop the weight really quickly or let gravity do most of the work because I miss the effort exerted from lowering the rep in a slow, controlled motion (at least when it comes to machines). AKA "Ignoring the negative." 

In other words, I don't miss out on much by controllably lowering a dead lift?

Did you use a hernia belt? I would be scared to try maxing something like a dead lift without a piece of mind like that. :P

When I was around 18 ( after 3 years of working out) I decided to go on a strict diet, results were decent but dangerous.

That's kinda where I'm at right now, not sure if I should be happy to say that. I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle as soon as possible, because I'm trying to get into the kind of shape where I can leave the Air Force open as a career option, and if possible go out for ROTC next semester. 

I'm basically trying to find ways to get as many of my nutrients as possible using the cleanest calories possible (simplest carbs, as few saturated fats as possible, and as much protein as possible). For example, a lot of my calories are coming from juicing lately. 

• Brohoof 1

As of this time last year, I weighed about 250 lbs. myself (fairly obese at 5'10"). But over last Spring I managed to whittle it down to about 230 through home workouts, before finally caving in and getting a gym membership when Summer came. Went to the gym sporadically and got down to 211 at some point during last October.

These days I have a (more or less) regular 5-day routine; 50 minutes of cardio Mon/Wed/Fri (treadmill or cycle machines), with similarly lengthed weight training sessions Tue/Thu which are followed up with a massive protein shake. As of now, my weight has gone up to 219 lbs. - which sounded discouraging at first - until I learned that scales are basically worthless because they don't differentiate between body fat weight and the heavier muscle weight. Apparently, I should instead be paying attention to how my clothes are fitting, and if that's true, I can take the fact that my clothes aren't any tighter to mean I've gained more in muscle than fat since then.

At least, I certainly hope that's the case, and it'd be much appreciated if somepony would correct me if I'm on the completely wrong track.

• Brohoof 1

No, I meant negative as meaning the lowering motion during a rep. I get told that it is bad to do the lift, and then just drop the weight really quickly or let gravity do most of the work because I miss the effort exerted from lowering the rep in a slow, controlled motion (at least when it comes to machines). AKA "Ignoring the negative." 

Did you use a hernia belt? I would be scared to try maxing something like a dead lift without a piece of mind like that. tongue.png

k wasn't sure what you meant and it kinda depends of the lift. Power lifts really don't have beneficial negatives for the most part. Some exercises I real focus on negatives at the end because you will fatigue on the positive first so I'll do a couple reps at the end to focus negatives and fatigue them. For deadlifts specifically it's can go either way depending on weight and also if you have rubber plates (which you should) you can drop it no real big deal.

Also no I do not use a belt. Another reason why I focus on my form being perfect when I lift  I could increase my deadlift right now if I was willing to bend my back a little on pick up and such but I don't :P Stay safe. Injuries will hinder your goals so easily. 

Did you use a hernia belt? I would be scared to try maxing something like a dead lift without a piece of mind like that. :P

That's kinda where I'm at right now, not sure if I should be happy to say that. I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle as soon as possible, because I'm trying to get into the kind of shape where I can leave the Air Force open as a career option, and if possible go out for ROTC next semester. 

I'm basically trying to find ways to get as many of my nutrients as possible using the cleanest calories possible (simplest carbs, as few saturated fats as possible, and as much protein as possible). For example, a lot of my calories are coming from juicing lately.

It's awesome I see someone trying to lose weight for such a brave career choice! My reasons were way to selfish, like I didn't want to be overweight and shy because I wanted girls and to be popular... As cliche as that sounds....

But I think I'm a better person now... But enough about my selfish ass...

TBH, the first month I was on strict salads, no toppings whatsoever, no sugars, no bread etc.... It was gruesome, slowly I started adding on to my meals, I had a lot of energy, and I started seeing stunning ( for me) visual results... What I'm describing is around a 12 month process but still... My goal was a 6 pack and strong arms/legs....but I suggest taking it at il your own pace..

I don't go to a gym, but I do enjoy running outside. I can't think of a better stress release then just sweating it all out of you, and with some good tunes it's even more an adventure than anything else (granted it might not be advisable to listen to music, it's more for recreation and pumps me up).

Trying to get a decent 5k time just to prove to myself that I can do this. Seeing others outside and on this forum who take care of themselves and enjoy staying fit is a nice boost to anyone's morale.

I love the gym. It sucks at first, but after 2 months you get addicted. Recenty I lost my membership, and I'm saving all my money for when I visit the US, so I am going to cry every night about this for the next month xD

• Brohoof 1

I don't go to a gym, but I do enjoy running outside. I can't think of a better stress release then just sweating it all out of you, and with some good tunes it's even more an adventure than anything else (granted it might not be advisable to listen to music, it's more for recreation and pumps me up).

Trying to get a decent 5k time just to prove to myself that I can do this. Seeing others outside and on this forum who take care of themselves and enjoy staying fit is a nice boost to anyone's morale.

Oh yeah, definitely. Awesome to see another runner. And may I ask what your 5k time is? I'm more of a longer distance dude, so my 5k is pretty lacking.

Bigger boost to my morale though is when I pass by a fellow runner though. Since my city's pretty dead though in Long distance running, that's kinda rare. :(

Oh yeah, definitely. Awesome to see another runner. And may I ask what your 5k time is? I'm more of a longer distance dude, so my 5k is pretty lacking.

Bigger boost to my morale though is when I pass by a fellow runner though. Since my city's pretty dead though in Long distance running, that's kinda rare. sad.png

29 min... which is wayyy too long for my comfort. Not the most active runner, but I will get that down to 24 min tops in no time right after this semester finishes. Wish I could push more, but one step at a time right?

Long distance? I always admire the endurance it takes to run those lengths! Just seems like you guys keep on going and going and going!

Its good that people go to the gym but some people just don't get it. I have a friend, he's 15 and he's been going to the gym for a long time now.

To put it plainly, he's short and he looks like he's on stereoids. He's super buff but he's just so short it's hard to take him seriously when he's threatening you.

I'm pretty sure when you go the gym that early it stunts your growth and such.

I myself don't go to the gym. Being a fan of cricket and playing as a fast bowler for any team. That means I do a lot of running and jumping around. So naturally I have a tall and slim body. I have muscles but they're not bulging or anything.

I'm addicted to football. I used to be incredibly chunky in the 3rd/4th grade, but I can't feel confident unless my body is in the best shape it can be. I love strength conditioning and cardio. I do 2 miles of HIIT every morning, a full body workout (bench, weights, squats, etc.) at night, and a strict diet of fish, chicken, fruit, beans, and straight out vegetables.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

T3Xgr.jpg

None of your business!

Wow, what a looser.

I have feelings you know?

Wait you have feels, have I told you that you're cute? :3

Ehm, ok.

Nah, I ain't no gym goer. I wouldn't want to become all muscular and stuff. So I stay away from the gym. lol I used to lift a lot when I was younger and did keep myself fit but since I hardly have any fat I didn't really have to do much. I stopped lifting at a certain age and didn't do so again for a long time. I was lifting for the wrong reasons, I used to be picked on in school and basically I was supposed to get myself into shape so I could protect myself but even though I could, I never wanted to get into trouble but I would usually win a fight if I actually got into one. So after some time I looked very good but didn't maintain it so yeah.. I don't look the same anymore. :/ I have been lifting a little recently but nothing crazy. I lift a lot during work so it adds up for it. I don't really do much exercises to be honest. I guess I should lift more and I probably will. It's just at the moment I don't have the time to do so. I still did keep my stamina up, since I have asthma I had to run and stuff so I have good stamina and I'm a fast runner.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

• 1 year later...
(edited)

I do it around 4 times a week. I start with 30 minutes of HIIT (running / rowing), then followed by some iron, hitting all the vital body parts. Then I have some gummie bears & a protein shake, followed by me biking home.

Edited by Guest

I used to go to the gym, but not so much anymore. I'd much rather go with a friend or even a work-out buddy, but my friends are lazy, haha.