Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's Redemption - Good or Bad?

Kitty Cat Moonshire

Am I the only one who thinks Discord wasn't really a villain to begin with?  He was painted as a bad guy, but rather than just grab for power so he could rule and/or destroy everything, all he really seemed to want was to just play tricks on everyone for his own chaotic pleasure.  I suppose that fits the definition of a villain, but to me he seems more like a prankster with no particular good or evil alignment.

Thus, "reforming" him (I prefer to think of it as "taming" or "breaking" him, like you break a horse as the first step to training it for riding) is really just a way to harness his powers and move him toward a good alignment.  But honestly, I don't think it fundamentally changed his character at all - deep down, he's still going to love bringing chaos to the world.  He just has a framework now to make responsible decisions and perhaps find constructive uses for his magic while still having fun in the process.

• Brohoof 3

Wow I am so tired of "HAS HASBRO RUINED ____ ?????". Hasbro is not responsible for everything that happens on the show. Sometimes things sucked even when Faust was on-board too. It's just the nature of television.

Anyway.

Discord hasn't really changed. He's shifted alliances because being on the "good" side allows him more benefit than being on his own side. I mean, think about it. The reason he changed things back wasn't because he realized he was wrong or that doing things his way hurt people; he even states outright he liked things better when they were chaotic and fun. He agrees to help out because he didn't want to lose the one friend he'd ever had. It was about how it would hurt HIM, not about Fluttershy or her friends. At least not outright.

I absolutely think Discord is more neutral than "evil". He's just out to have as much fun as possible.

• Brohoof 3

Nah

People are just overreacting to Hasbro "ruining" everything. They aren't here to ruin the fandom, and just remember, they don't make the show, just give the license out to make it.

Now then, I think his character quality did go down just a little bit, seeming a bit more random and faster-paced, however he isn't worse than before, nor is he better. Just be happy that the animators decided to bring him back. 

Edited by ~Another Chaotic Username~

I don't think that they have ruined Discord, I just think that they have changed him. Now that he is good, there might be less problems, but less entertainment. 

I guess that it is a fifty-fifty kinda thing. It is good and bad that he has changed to the good side of friendship and magic. I think it's mostly good, but other pony's have different opinions you know. :) 

No. Not all all. Not even a little bit. Sure they've changed his character a little, but let's be honest, he was never a very fearsome villain. He was the ultimate class clown, without the maturity to realize that school was out. I honestly like him better now, and I also like Fluttershy better since she (1) FINALLY was assertive again and (2) gave him an outlet for his good side, which was never far beneath the surface anyway. ;) Now he has room to grow as a person. Or whatever you want to call him.

Next up in the "Has Hasbro ruined this / Will Hasbro ruin that" series is: will Hasbro ruin cabbage? (Answer: yes.)

Discord geting his ass whooped by a villain to hype that villain might happen soon.

Discord should make an illuminatai in MLP and keep it a secret and make chaos

That would be seriously awesome if that really happened and for all we know may actually happen in the show, I think he may have been reformed to help face a huge threat.

I was thinking that discord may have turned good,but maybe he has a brother who takes over equestria and only Discord can stop him.That would be so cool,and the brother can stay evil :).

I like this guy. I posted about two days ago about the idea of Discord having an (actually) evil brother. My version is that he's a dragon, and the god of destruction, don't know what yours is.

When the older brother continually picks on Discord, this eventually happens (MLP-wise):

Anyway, no. I personally don't believe that they ruined Discord, but rather showed his true self. He's not evil, he's just a misunderstood deity who had no friends, only enemies who antagonized him, only because he was doing what he was created to do.

"Discord was, undoubtedly, the best villain ever. Not just of the show, but of all of entertainment."

That's debatable.

Edited by New Moon

Well after watching 'Keep Calm and Flutter On' I've been kinda thinking, was Discord ever a villain?

Discord is not as evil as King Sobra or Queen Chrysalis. Seeing as KS enslaved the Crystal Ponies and QC tried to eat the life force of the ponies. Heck, Nightmare Moon is more evil than Discord, seeing as she tried to kill the mane 6 several times.  All he did was just make the world wacky and stuff. He didn't try and do any of the stuff the last 3 villains did. 

Now if you read this you are probably thinking, he turned the 6 against each other. So that makes him evil. Well I did think that at first, but I don't think he did it to be evil. It was more didn't want to be turned back into stone. So it's more of him doing everything he can to survey. I see nothing wrong in that.

Man did I go on about that, time for the question.

I don't think anyone ruined Discord. I feel like he has the potential to be good and just need help being pointed to the right direction.

• Brohoof 3

Now if you read this you are probably thinking, he turned the 6 against each other. So that makes him evil. Well I did think that at first, but I don't think he did it to be evil. It was more didn't want to be turned back into stone. So it's more of him doing everything he can to survey. I see nothing wrong in that.

I'm actually not even sure if his turning the ponies against each other was so much about his own "survival" as it was just simply to get a lot of amusement out of them.  In Return of Harmony, he struck me as devious and plotting, but living entirely in the moment.  To me, that makes him even less evil than if his intent was to avoid being turned back into stone - while that's obviously something he wanted to avoid, I think he was so sure of himself that he didn't put much thought into it.

• Brohoof 2

Ruined? Nonono if anything they've added more depth to his character! As was previously mentioned, he promised to be good 'most of the time' and on top of that, Celestia left the Elements with Twilight 'just in case.' This, my little ponies, is what we call foreboding!

No, that is what we call "foreshadowing". Foreshadowing is giving early hints to later plot developments. Foreboding is an emotion. True, foreshadowing can induce in one the emotion of foreboding, but they aren't the same thing.

As for the OP's question: yes, they (Studio B, not Hasbro) ruined Discord for me. He was a majestic lion, now he is a neutered house cat.

No, that doesn't make him evil. But torturing them mentally and tricking them when he could have turned them with a simple touch, therefore leaving them to blame themselves for being manipulated, and laughing about it when he succeeded, does.

• Brohoof 2

This is a show for little girls, they don't care if they ruin a good villian. The show is about friendship, and they are trying to prove their point by reforming Discord, the most poweful villian.

Perhaps the one thing I can't help but see as a shame is, in that it is now clear Discord was not just a one-off, is possibly less a chance of seeing anymore of his entertaining more psychotic self, and villainy (or however one prefers to see it), complete with bizarre Yellow Submarine-esque visuals, which was certainly something different in the show. To have more "out there" episodes, featuring Discord, in future seasons I feel would have been welcome. Also something to let the writers and artists to go completely bezerk and have fun with (although I would also imagine a lot of hard work)!

I am not against where the crew/Hasbro (or whoever it is exactly calling the shots on this particular element of the show at least) take Discord from here on in, it's just I would have preferred his character to have remained more clearly open for causing absolute chaos. At this point in time at least, it comes more off to me as this won't be the case.  

There was also every potential for him to come back (albeit perhaps a little later in time than S3) and be really one angry and vengeful entity, non too pleased at being turned to stone once again, perhaps even being an all new higher level of threat to Equestria. It would have been interesting to see how this turned out. The ponies were put through a lot the first time, but what would Discord have made them endure the next?

However, yes the ending to "Keep Calm" did leave things open-ended, so there is still the fact anything could happen from here on out, and I, personally, would be all for seeing more of Discord really letting loose. But if this does not turn out to be, then I am perfectly fine with that, as I am sure the crew will keep him entertaning, no matter what happens.

One last thought before posting: Perhaps it could turn out that Discord gradually so-called "befriends" Ponyville residents over time, but is secretly sussing out the ponies' weaknesses, all the while merely pretending to be good, of which one day he will ultimately turn back around and use all the knowledge he has gained of the ponies' mindsets and general workings of Ponyville, and use this as his new "power" of sorts. The ultimate deception?

Edited by Piano of Muffins
  • Brohoof 2

No. Not all all. Not even a little bit. Sure they've changed his character a little, but let's be honest, he was never a very fearsome villain.

Mind-raping the mane Six, deliberately putting them in nightmarish scenarios for the lulz was pretty fearsome. 

Am I the only one who saw Discord as one of the scariest and most intimidating threats in the series yet?  Him discording Pinkie Pie was one of the saddest and cruelest scenes in the series, and that was part of the hook for why Return of Harmony was such a special episode.  But that part of Discord is now gone, and frankly, I'm going to miss that.  Sure, people say that he's still going to do a little chaos here and there, but he's surely not going to do anything *that* fucked up again.  By neutering him, you lose a part of what made him so compelling to begin with.

Frankly, I think it wold have been better if he had remained in stone, or at best get one big, final comeback before being sealed away again for *good*. 

• Brohoof 1

Because Q from Star Trek is the basic model for Discord's character, I don't have an issue with him not being a true evildoer.  What I have an issue with is this:  Q is part of the Continuum, an organization of cosmic overseers that maintain balance in the universe.  There seems to be no comparison to Discord in this regard.  His propensity is towards chaos and confusion.  There is nothing in his character to suggest he should bring balance to the universe. 

HOWEVER, Discord is connected to a counterweight, the embodiment of harmony itself, the Mane 6.  There you have it:  Order and chaos, harmony and discord.  There seems to be some kind of symbiosis between Discord and the ponies.  And I'm sure he will have an important role in future episodes.  If the writers play this well, Discord could end up being almost as legendary as John deLancie and Q is in the Star Trek fandom. 

No, that is what we call "foreshadowing". Foreshadowing is giving early hints to later plot developments. Foreboding is an emotion. True, foreshadowing can induce in one the emotion of foreboding, but they aren't the same thing.

Well, 'foreboding' is an adjective as well that could apply in this context, but yeah you're absolutely right. I meant 'foreshadowing.'

• Brohoof 1

I'm even more annoyed with the Discord move now that I have watched the season finale. Because I can't shake the feeling that this episode was only done to explain why Twilight had the Elements of Harmony with her in that episode. Disgracing Big D for the sake of setting the props into position? Poor form... or really clever writing, or both. But still... grrr...

Could you imagine him and Pinkie having a prank war?

This. This needs to happen. Even if we have to write it ourselves, this needs to happen.

Hmm... as far as if Discord is ruined... I don't think so. As has been stated, just because Discord has been reformed and is willing to use his powers for the greater good doesn't necessarily make him a nice being. Time will tell if he has been ruined or not.

Plus, he could very well become a Trickster Mentor to Trixie.

I kinda hate how mostly every villain in the series has been reformed. Nightmare Moon became Luna, Discord became nice, and Trixie denounced her evil ways. The only villain who hasn't became nice was that changeling queen, whose name I always forget, but I doubt changelings will reappear in MLP ever. Villains can't be easily changed in real life, so how come they can in Equestria?

Cuz super villains totally exist that we can base their behavior off of. Also, super villains are commonly believed to have mental disorders causing their destructive behaviors. That means that normal rules don't apply, the illnesses that afflict them could very well also affect how easily they are shaped into good or evil. Also there is still King Sombra, if they find some way of creatively bringing him back to life or maybe that he didn't die anyways.

The thing is MLP villains are very softcore villains. They never stand out to me as despicable, ruthless, cunning and cruel. Discord is more of a prankster who just had some powers, in fact he reminds me of Loki the god of mischief. Many people get this misguided thought that Loki is evil but the fact of the matter is all of the scandinavian gods were flawed and messed up, they didn't give a crap about the mortals and did whatever they pleased. Loki wasn't a good guy but neither is he a bad guy he just caused trouble. In fact Thor and Loki are always known to be a pair that went on adventures together. Thor as the rugged tough guy and Loki as the pretty boy sidekick.

I'm pretty sure Discord will still cause mischief when he just can't resist to troll a bit though.

Edited by poniesforfun

Many people get this misguided thought that Loki is evil

Off topic, I realize, but if he wasn't evil then he was definitely a world-class jerk for (1) causing Baldr's death by deliberately inviting one of the Aesir to use Mistletoe, the one thing that was not asked to avoid injuring him, and (2) by not aiding the other Aesir in the restoring of Baldr to life as per Hel's ruling on the matter. Edited by Pokota

I'd buy that if not for the fact that he brute force mind zapped Fluttershy.after she warded off every attempt of his to get under her skin.  He could have done this to any of the other characters, but he much preferred putting them through mind games and watching them squirm. 

• Brohoof 1

well im find with him being "good" that doesnt mean hes inocccent and wont be chaotic anymore

1. he could still drive angel bunny insane

2. he can  rudely prank pepole

3.he can have rd level agoranance

4. he could make controlled chaos he likes games he can make them less demonomic and let the mane six play......

remeber all he learned in flutter on is that basically dont make things to chaotic for your freinds so that hes reformed hes not good good

anyway what is evil? no ones really pure evil everyone does good and bad things and its cool that its reflected in mlp like that

Edited by pinkieshyrose

Hi everypony!

You know how Discord is good right now, right? That's good, but do you want him evil again, causing chocolate rain (No, not the song, silly!) from candy floss clouds? I like knowing what other people think, if that's OK with you, that is...

I would love if he was evil again, because I miss the chaos he would cause, he was so funny too! The soul of humour in MLP! But he is still cool good, of course.  But havoc beats rainbows in my case. (It's a metaphor. But, you never know!) 

So, what do you want and think? I'm interested to know who thinks the same.

Also, what do you think will happen to him in Season 4? Will he be bad for good, or good for good? (Confusing, I know.)post-13062-0-09817800-1361742489.jpg Chaos! We all love it, want it, need it.

Bye!

~Splodge Inks  :ph34r: