Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Discord's Redemption - Good or Bad?

Kitty Cat Moonshire

Well I think its been said by others already that Discord is kinda more of a Chaos being and not exactly "evil" but still I think it wouldn't make sense anyways, plus I think that there wasn't going to be many other opportunities for him to do much of anything or develop him in another episode without him being reformed, I'm sure we'll still see his comedic actions and stuff in other episodes even if hes reformed.

I think hes more or less neutral right now, heck even he said he'd only use his powers for good "Most of the time".

Edited by Zygen

Absolutely not. Being evil means, like Discord said, more imprisonment for him and less screen time, and screen time is what we want.

I can't wait to see what they do with him in S4, though :)

he only learned to play nice not to cut all chaos and humor just less and more modertly like one chocklate rain cloud not a storm humor just less snide I like to think of his new devloment like rainbow dashes meanes in nightmare night hes ok now hes not a saint ... and he wasent really evil to start off with... chaos was never evil..just to much of a good thing is bad same with harmony

Edited by pinkieshyrose

I don't get why people think that more Discord is inherently better than less Discord.  I would rather have the Discord who was genuinely threatening and have him appear once more at best, then have this mostly good, watered down discord making recurring appearances. 

Am I the only one here who found him to be a real threat in Return of Harmony part 1?  This is a character who could have, if he wanted to, just zapped everypony's minds into being discorded like he did Fluttershy, but no- he chose to put them through mental agony and watch them discord themselves, just because it was more fun that way.  I don't get why it seems few others are going to miss that aspect of his character.  I really, really don't. 

This was a villain who more than any other was able to get to Twilight emotionally, and defeat the Elements of Harmony.  I mean, his actions almost made Twilight *give up on her friends*.  Why anyone would want to water down a villain who would provide that kind of emotional torque on the main character is absolutely beyond my comprehension. 

Honestly, not really. I'm glad he's been reformed. He can still have the character we all love and be good, can't he?

Not for me, because the character I love emotionally manipulated five ponies, playing them like puppets in his little mind games, and indirectly crushed the spirit of a sixth pony, basically for the lulz.

• Brohoof 1

I don't want him to go evil again. Hoping that the writers can expand this idea of him being good. Heres how I think the episode should play out. Now that he has shown that mane 6 he's good, he now has to convince every other pony that he has changed. It ends up back firing for him. Then at the end something is going to happen that he can only stop.

Something to that level. 

As long as his personality doesn't change, I don't mind whether Discord is good or bad. I liked him when we first saw his appearance and liked him just as much when we saw him the second time, change his personality and then we might have a little problem D:

Part of me kind of does, at least he got screen time when he was evil. Plus I find that if he helps solve a major crisis in equestria it'll be like Doctor Who using the sonic screwdriver. But these are my assumptions, maybe season 4 will bust out with some good stuff for Discord

I actually really liked that they managed to reform him, think that was what made me a bit irritated with those season 2 episodes is they didn't really deal with the problem they just froze him and called it a day. With Luna they actually were able to make her good again, which the optimist in me always appreciates seeing. I'm a fan of the notion of reform in real life as well, advocating mental care and well-maintained prisons over the death penalty (sorry to get all dark), so I was rather delighted that Fluttershy was able to appeal to Discord's better nature and give him some perspective. That said, felt such a big topic was a bit rushed in the actual episode itself, but the message of it appealed to me enough that I think it stands as my favorite season 3 episode.

• 3 months later...

The recent threads about Discord in season 4 and the reforming of villains got me thinking about this again...

To me, part of what made Discord so successful in Return of Harmony was the fact that he was a *major* threat, who actually *defeated* the elements and turned the Mane Six against each other in a rather diabolical fashion.  His discording of Pinkie Pie was particularly cruel, and the way he just "zapped" Fluttershy suggests that he could have done so with any of them, but screwed with them and played into their worst fears *just for the fun of it*. 

But now that aspect of Discord is gone, and I fail to see how a reformed or even "mostly good" Discord could possibly be as compelling as that. 

And yes, I agree that having him be defeated and come back over and over again would get repetitive, but that's why I say he should have come back at most once, in a season finale or season premiere 2 parter.  Sometimes it's better to use a popular character judiciously instead of bringing him back more often regardless of popularity. 

Am I alone here in thinking this? 

• Brohoof 2

You are not hawkflame.

As I stated before, I'm not against his reformation, but I would've prefered more villainy from Discord beforehand, and at least a two-part episode for his reformation.

I am against the line about him being repetitive considering he's only appeared twice in three seasons. How can he be a repetitive villain when he's only had one episode of pure villainy? I'm not saying he can't become repetitive, but he's had one good episode of being a great villain and that's it. Discord also had a good showing in "Keep Calm and Flutter On" when it comes to cool villainous stuff, but it never really played out and his reformation came quickly.

So now, you're not alone, but I would've wanted more villainy out of him before his reformation.

I personally believe that "Keep calm and Flutter on"is the best episode to boot. While Discord was the best antagonist it all really boiled down to the fact that he had no friends, and because of this he was more villainous. I actually believe he behaves the way he does, a little less serious and more of a joker kinds villain, as he believes that in doing so, at least one pony would be his friend. Once Fluttershy had actually befriended him he saw the world in a completely different perspective. He realized that what he was doing was only fun to him and not anypony else. Because of this, he felt as if he could not bear to lose his only friend and so, stopped being so chaotic.

All makes sense that way.

I personally believe that "Keep calm and Flutter on"is the best episode to boot. While Discord was the best antagonist it all really boiled down to the fact that he had no friends, and because of this he was more villainous. I actually believe he behaves the way he does, a little less serious and more of a joker kinds villain, as he believes that in doing so, at least one pony would be his friend. Once Fluttershy had actually befriended him he saw the world in a completely different perspective. He realized that what he was doing was only fun to him and not anypony else. Because of this, he felt as if he could not bear to lose his only friend and so, stopped being so chaotic.

All makes sense that way.

I dunno, I disagree with you to a point. I think he acted the way he did before because he didn't care for friendship and thought all he needed were pawns for his own amusement, which was why he was using Fluttershy at first to guarantee she wouldn't use her element against him. After the tea party where Fluttershy called him her friend, that's when the spark of friendship started inside of him.

In "Return of Harmony", I doubt he was seeking friendship when he turned everypony crazy and the Mane Six against each other.

As for "Keep Calm and Flutter On", as I said, I love that episode but it should've been a two part episode and I wish we got more villainy out of Discord before his reformation. Oh well, if he returns in season four, maybe we'll see exactly how he'll be now that he's more neutral rather than evil.

I'm a bit suspicious of Discord's true motivations in "Keep Calm and Flutter On." It's strange that he would change a millennia-old mindset just for the promise of friendship (then again, this is Fluttershy we're talking about). Personally, I liked him very much as a villain, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing what can be done with a reformed Discord. Since there are only so many times the producers can use Discord as a villain, making him good, or chaotic good, is a good way to keep him in without making things repetitive. 

• Brohoof 1

I do think it may be challenging to make him very compelling as a reformed villain, and as much as I liked him I think he may not be able to be shown a lot anyways.

That said if he still has his humorous way of doing things I think I can still enjoy him ocassionally, his randomness and sometimes sarcastic attitude kinda makes him for me I think. So it's still possible to make him compelling.

I think that he'll still only show up once, maybe twice in s4 anyways, but who knows.

I did enjoy his appearance in keep calm and flutter on, so as long as he keeps some of that part of him, I can still enjoy him.

Guess we can only wait and see, I'm hoping for a job well done, although I will agree that it may have in some cases been better to make him show like twice, but I'm not going to say its going to be impossible to make him compelling, just more challenging.

Like I said guess well see whenever s4 comes :P.

I'm a bit suspicious of Discord's true motivations in "Keep Calm and Flutter On." It's strange that he would change a millennia-old mindset just for the promise of friendship (then again, this is Fluttershy we're talking about). Personally, I liked him very much as a villain, but I'm actually looking forward to seeing what can be done with a reformed Discord. Since there are only so many times the producers can use Discord as a villain, making him good, or chaotic good, is a good way to keep him in without making things repetitive. 

And that's why I say they should have kept his appearances limited.  Like maybe just *one* more appearance after Return of Harmony.  Maybe even not ever use him again.   Because now I watch Keep Calm and Flutter On again, and all it does it make me miss the guy who put the mane six through the wringer in season 2. 

• Brohoof 1

He is voiced by John De Lancie, who also did Q, and is basically an expy thereof. Even when Q isn't being malicious, he's still incredibly dangerous. Maybe that could work? 

I could see an episode in which Discord is called upon to fight some evil - let's say, Queen Chrysalis.  But instead of fighting her, he appears to join her, and we're all left to wonder if he really has given into temptation to return to evil, or if he's got something up his sleeve.  Just because he's "reformed" doesn't mean he's going to be predictable. :)

I could see an episode in which Discord is called upon to fight some evil - let's say, Queen Chrysalis.  But instead of fighting her, he appears to join her, and we're all left to wonder if he really has given into temptation to return to evil, or if he's got something up his sleeve.  Just because he's "reformed" doesn't mean he's going to be predictable. smile.png

But that would basically make his reformation in KCAFO a lie, and as much as I dislike that episode, I don't think that's fair to the fans. 

It would be akin to undoing Twilight's alicornization, even though I also disliked that change too.  

That said if he still has his humorous way of doing things I think I can still enjoy him ocassionally, his randomness and sometimes sarcastic attitude kinda makes him for me I think. So it's still possible to make him compelling.

And that I think is a key difference between me and some of the rest of you on this thread.  Others here seem to prefer Discord's wit and his charismatic personality, and that to them is the key to his character. 

I agree with that, but I also think that a major part of his appeal to me was the fact that he was a real threat who genuinely challenged the mane six.  How do you make up for that when he's reformed? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

But that would basically make his reformation in KCAFO a lie, and as much as I dislike that episode, I don't think that's fair to the fans.

I'm not sure I follow. We had Discord say outright "most of the time" at the end of KCaFO, suggesting that he isn't going to give up his personality THAT easily.

And in my scenario, Discord WOULD still be on the good side - it would just not look like it until the point in which he betrays Chrysalis and everyone realizes (or he tells them) what his plans had been. In other words, he's still a wild card, a rogue who has the appearance of not being trustworthy despite Fluttershy's success. I'd think that would be rather consistent with his character both past and present.

(EDIT: Dumb smartphone.)

Edited by Pixel Stick

(edited)

I'm not sure I follow. We had Discord say outright "most of the time" at the end of KCaFO, suggesting that he isn't going to give up his personality THAT easily.

And in my scenario, Discord WOULD still be on the good side - it would just not look like it until the point in which he betrays Chrysalis and everyone realizes (or he tells them) what his plans had been. In other words, he's still a wild card, a rogue who has the appearance of not being trustworthy despite Fluttershy's success. I'd think that would be rather consistent with his character both past and present.

(EDIT: Dumb smartphone.)

To me, you can't be a genuinely threatening antagonist only part of the time (cause some mischief, yes, but the stuff he pulled in Return of Harmony went far beyond that). So IMO, what he said at the end doesn't really matter to me.

Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying. But even still, that goes back to the idea of him being good now, which I obviously have a problem with to begin with.

Am I the crazy one here? Am I one of the few that thinks losing Discord as a genuine threat and major antagonist is a great loss?

Edited by hawkflame

To me, you can't be a genuinely threatening antagonist only part of the time (cause some mischief, yes, but the stuff he pulled in Return of Harmony went far beyond that). So IMO, what he said at the end doesn't really matter to me.

Ah, I misunderstood what you were saying. But even still, that goes back to the idea of him being good now, which I obviously have a problem with to begin with.

Am I the crazy one here? Am I one of the few that thinks losing Discord as a genuine threat and major antagonist is a great loss?

Of course you aren't, hawk, but there's little we can do now that Discord is now neutral to neutral good.

Discord was my favorite villain, so of course it's an epic loss to me. He was awesome as a conniving, manipulating villain who liked to play with ponies and their emotions, but I don't mind his redemption to a point. I mean, if they somehow show that he's still as awesome as ever, that's good, but it won't bring back the villainy we know and love.

You're not alone, I just think that if his redemption had to happen, they should've had at least one more two-part episode where he got to be an awesome villain.

No, but to me it looks like you're one of the few that's incapable of enjoying him for his personality and being back for future episodes enough, in order to counteract your sense of loss over the fact that he's no longer a threat. I miss him as a villain too. Most people do. There's two sides to every coin however, and most people are saddened by what's been shed, but also excited for what new opportunities he has.

TL;DR you're being a pessimist stahp :P

• Brohoof 1

Of course you aren't, hawk, but there's little we can do now that Discord is now neutral to neutral good.

Discord was my favorite villain, so of course it's an epic loss to me. He was awesome as a conniving, manipulating villain who liked to play with ponies and their emotions, but I don't mind his redemption to a point. I mean, if they somehow show that he's still as awesome as ever, that's good, but it won't bring back the villainy we know and love.

You're not alone, I just think that if his redemption had to happen, they should've had at least one more two-part episode where he got to be an awesome villain.

Well, thanks for the reassurance that I'm not completely insane. :lol:

I'll keep an open mind and of course watch the episodes, but I'm really failing to see how he could still be as awesome and interesting. And it's made my favorite episodes, Return of Harmony parts 1 and 2, harder to watch because it just makes me think of how he's no longer like that.

And KCAFO didn't really help matters much either. An epic intro like Return of Harmony should have had an epic follow up, and that didn't deliver. Had they set things up properly there I might have bought into his reformation better, but instead it just came out of nowhere.

• Brohoof 1