Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are the positive qualities of Rainbow Dash?

Princess Twilight

Personally, I think she's a bit overrated. Whilst a good character deserving of praise and fans, I can't help but be a bit irritated when I'm looking for Rarity merch online and I stumble across pages upon pages of Dash merch. Stuff like that. 

Does she deserve fanfare?  Yes. She deserves fans and praise. 

Does she deserve to be on 99.99% of all merch? ...well, I can't honestly say that's the case. 

Great character, though :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Let's face something, Rainbow Dash is the reason why most men became bronies :P

In my case it's because she's colorful and I love colors, but more than that I also love aircraft, and she does cool flying maneuvers that fighter jets do (yes, I could relate this with the Wonderbolts too), and the cherry in the top of tha cake is her Sonic Rainboom. She's also so athletic and I really love that, she's what I call an all-terrain character, cause she doesn't mind to get her hooves dirty to do such cool things.

Of course she's not perfect, I must admit I see her as a bitch sometimes, but the good thing is that she lears from her mistakes in case her behaviour crosses the line :D

Edited by RainbowMau

Personally, I think she's a bit overrated. Whilst a good character deserving of praise and fans, I can't help but be a bit irritated when I'm looking for Rarity merch online and I stumble across pages upon pages of Dash merch. Stuff like that.

Does she deserve fanfare? Yes. She deserves fans and praise.

Does she deserve to be on 99.99% of all merch? ...well, I can't honestly say that's the case.

Great character, though :D

This is my exact thoughts about her. Not a word out of place.
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbowdash is not my personal favorite, but I don't dislike any of the Mane Six. I don't inherently relate to the strong, athletic type, but some might. I do, however, like that she's portrayed as a little too arrogant at times, and I also like that, under her tough exterior, is a kind, caring side. Plus, her unwillingness to try new things at first, such as reading, wouldn't be inaccurate for her archetype, yet she tried it and liked it. She's not perfect by any stretch, even if she's a bit of a show off, yet I like her for what she's worth. I can see why she'd rub some people the wrong way though. I don't hang out with too many strong, athletic types in real life.

• 2 weeks later...

Because she is not only the most marketable pony (rainbow hair makes for quite a memory retainer) but also the character that most bronies get introduced to when joining. So her being the market "face" of FiM (due to her easy to recall mane design) leads alot of people to have her as the first pony they encounter.

And if you are in sports regularly, she is the easiest to identify with.

• Brohoof 4

I heard this somewhere else, but I don't remember exactly.

New bronies are more comfortable with Rainbow Dash because she is a tomboy. They say, "I only like this one, the cool one who plays pranks and I athletic. She's the only reason I watch the show."

I heard this somewhere else, but I don't remember exactly.

That also works as a great explanation, most people when first watching the show are hesitant due to it being for young girls, so they would try to find the most "manly/tough" character to latch onto at first, in order to ease into it.

RD tends to be very charismatic when they aren't writing her into a hole with the bragging and arrogance. She naturally attracts people to her through her laid back personality and can-do attitude. Not to mention that her career is a massive public service so she's doing a lot of good.

• Brohoof 3

As a RD fan one of the things that I really like about her is her design, which is very striking, and I love her voice and personality and episodes as well, so that's why I like her.

• Brohoof 3

I guess it's simply because she's boyish and has a rainbow mane, but that's really just uncomfortably shallow for me to accept as an answer, since I've never really looked into why her character is so popular. That's the best I can come up with :confused:

I guess it's because she's boyish and, because MLP is such an effeminate thing, people like her as a way to feel a bit more in touch with their masculinity? To be honest, I find Dash's shallow bragging to be rather grating at times, and even though she's got a lot of good qualities to her, it really just might be the boyishness and the pleasing color scheme - I hate saying this and I mean it in no offense and I probably will regret this (Sorry! I like her!) but you never really see people going around saying RD is "well written" or has "a great personality" but just stuff like:

Because she's awesome! That's why........

Perhaps it's because a lot of bronies don't want to feel emasculated by the feminine aspects of MLP and latch on to her boyishness? But why don't they do that with Applejack as well? Is it because she's viewed as country and RD is viewed as a tomboy, even though by definition they're both tomboys?

Really confusing question with so many possible answers. Ultimately, I guess it just comes down to people liking what they like. Guess that's all there is to it.

Edited by Ghostie Belle
  • Brohoof 6

Also don't forget that a lot of bronies find her tom boyish nature rather cute (including me) and as far as I am concerned she is every bit as cute as Fluttershy in her own kind of way. Also I can somewhat (as with other bronies) can relate to her very easy, even if you arn't the "athletic type" she still is a very identifiable character.

• Brohoof 3

Because she is not only the most marketable pony (rainbow hair makes for quite a memory retainer) but also the character that most bronies get introduced to when joining. So her being the market "face" of FiM (due to her easy to recall mane design) leads alot of people to have her as the first pony they encounter.

And if you are in sports regularly, she is the easiest to identify with.

Pretty much this. She's also the least girly of the mane six, so I think a lot of people identify with her most when they start watching.

• Brohoof 1

It is partly because she is perceived as less "girly" than the other and partly because she in many peoples eyes has a bit of badass factor about her (though you can also say the same things about Applejack which really makes me wonder why more people don't acknowledge it). There is also the whole cool vibes and a lot of bronies sort of wanting to be that as well.

• Brohoof 1

You sir are wrong. Applejack is the least girly of the Mane 6.

Eh, I guess. Perhaps I should say RD acts the most boyish of the mane six. AJ is more like the responsible young adult type

• Brohoof 1

RD is popular because is a very well developed and well-rounded character.  Not only is she this fast flying, flashy, fun, cute pegasus but she has a rather large number of personal strengths and character flaws that come into play.  The flaws in particular are important, RD would be rather boring without them, kind of like a pony version Superman.  She is far more entertaining because she is rather egotistical and self-centered at times, but of course she always does right in the end.  The strengths and flaws are also rather well balanced, I never feel like any single character trait is outright defining her, unlike some ponies (*cough* Fluttershy *cough*).  She is probably the most well fleshed out character on the show save Twilight, who has the advantage of being the show's central protagonist.

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash is a piece of the sky given form.  She never lets you down, and while she may tease you, if your problem is important, she will listen, and then fight for you, even if all the other ponies won't.  She is layered, not even admitting some of the layers to herself, engendering a similar need of trust that also makes Fluttershy compelling. 

• Brohoof 2