1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode clearly evokes a lot of emotions among fans.

I personally love this episode but I can see the arguments from others. I knew Twili would become an Alicorn someday and would also take Celestia's place but I didn't know it would happen that early. I really love the songs in this in this musical episode. The sheer ratio of beautiful songs to runtime is amazing.

This episode should have really been a two parter. This would have helped with the passing a lot.

As far as I understand people have been spoiled by the ending before the episode aired. I can understand the bad taste which leaves that. I started so late with MLP Fim and I watched Tridashies Friendship is Musical series before I started the series. So I was also spoiled but I also have to admit even without spoiling I would have known that Twili get promoted to an Alicorn some day. I just didn't know when it would happen and I haven certainly not thought it would be so early.

There also some problems with the plot  but this is something I can forgive. Even in some series/movies produced with a far superior budget I have seen problems like this. So I certainly will not start to criticize MLP FiM for such problems. But yes, they are there.

So nothing is perfect, but I still love this episode ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I'm well aware that this episode was very controversial due to Twilight becoming a alicorn at the time. However, after the watching the episode myself, I don't think it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Sure, it was rushed, but I blamed on Hasbro's corporate mandates more than the show's staff.

The songs are great, especially Find a Way. The story was wired, but it was well handled. The callbacks are a lot of fun. Finally, Twilight becoming a princess is probably the best accomplishment that she ever had in this show. To be honest with you, I personally don't mind Twilight becoming a alicorn from the very beginning because she learned the valuable lesson about friendship. Also, just because she turning into an alicorn, doesn't mean her personality is going to change. She still the same Twilight I know and love. It's such a shame that the fanbase don't seems to get it. I know it's old news, but I just had to let this out.

Although I do agree with some people that Twilicorn is such a marketing ploy on Hasbro's part just shill out more toys. It doesn't help that they announced Equestria Girls around that same time, but hey, what can ya do?

Edited by JMTV99

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2021-12-18 at 9:46 PM, phantompone1148 said:

I loved this one! Tho, my only problem is that why did they choose to make Twi an alicorn/princess now? I think they should have waited till Season 4. I wished this season was longer.

10/10

Because she showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was ready for it. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I adored the fact that this episode was a musical. All the songs were great, with "A True, True Friend" being one of my favourites in the entire show.

Let's talk about the Alicorn in the room: I have always thought that Twilight becoming a Princess was an incredible moment for her character. I still love it dearly. Looking back on it, I think this episode should've been split into two parts. I feel like the transition would've been a lot smoother if that were the case.

I don't think this episode is perfect, but I still enjoyed it a ton. :)

• Brohoof 3

On 2023-10-15 at 8:40 AM, Cash In said:

I adored the fact that this episode was a musical. All the songs were great, with "A True, True Friend" being one of my favourites in the entire show.

"A True, True Friend" is still among my favorite song of the serie. :pinkie: This episode had some amazing songs but they kind of had no choices but to make great song as the musical format heavily rely on them for quick exposition and resolution. If it would've been a two parter (like most people think it should), I don't think they would've been as great, or even there at all.

On 2023-10-15 at 8:40 AM, Cash In said:

Let's talk about the Alicorn in the room: I have always thought that Twilight becoming a Princess was an incredible moment for her character. I still love it dearly.

It was the logical conclusion to her story, that's for sure. I like what they did there, but I still think they should've made her an Alicorn *later* in the serie, maybe as soon as the end of S4, after her fight against Tyrek. It wasn't setup properly in the season (which in itself isn't that great for a setup because of its length), the episode feels rushed to a conclusion that doesn't really make sense in fact of the accomplishement of Twilight up until now. :sunbutt:

In retrospect, and with everything that happened in the later seasons, Twilight character arc doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The progression should've (well more like could've) been :

Twilight Student of Celestia (at the start) -> Twilight Element of Magic (after ep 1&2) -> Twilight "Graduating" from being Celestia's student (after S3, instead of becoming and Alicorn)

Then, the finale of S4 could stay the same. Unicorn Twilight gets the magic of the Princesses, becomes an Alicorn by the same fact and beat Tyrek with the magic box (anything box of harmony related doesn'T really need her to be an Alicorn). She gets her new "Castle", but after she gives the princesses their magic back, she returns to being a Unicorn.

After that we get the Cutie Map, Starlight arc, Multiverse travel, Starlight "reformation", all the things in S6 & S7, all of which, again, don't need Twilight to be an Alicorn, a Princess or anything but part of the Elements of Harmony.

Then she would start the school at S8 (I would argue that the school could've been in S7 and all the stuff with the ancient heroes and the pony of shadow could've been S8), become Headmare, do all the thing up to S9, where she finally becomes an Alicorn, becomes the Princess of Friendship (with all other princesses there too, no retirement stuff), and let Starlight become Headmare. So the end result is (almost) the same, but everything more properly paced. Becoming a princess should've been the end move, not the 33% mark.

Thank you for joining me on this impromptu Ted Talk. :lostit::mlp_laugh:

Edited by Hadrien
  • Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Hadrien said:

It was the logical conclusion to her story, that's for sure. I like what they did there, but I still think they should've made her an Alicorn *later* in the serie, maybe as soon as the end of S4, after her fight against Tyrek. It wasn't setup properly in the season (which in itself isn't that great for a setup because of its length), the episode feels rushed to a conclusion that doesn't really make sense in fact of the accomplishement of Twilight up until now. :sunbutt:

Agreed. When you look at the nine season run, it does feel like the ascension could've happened later on.

With context, I do understand why they did it here, since at this point they didn't know if FiM would even get another season. They probably want to have an open end to Twilight's arc, just in case the show ended after this.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

19.JPG.15c68bebf5f58528836fd78f665c33c9.JPG

This is truly one of the milestones of the series, the music, the story, yes everything!

I hope you have nothing against my "directed" opinion.

Everypony is of course completely free to think what they want. But surely it is beautiful, with my song?

• 3 weeks later...