Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A couple suggestions

ReGen

A couple ideas I just came up with.

Number #1

I noticed there was no search function at all. I think this would be a good idea. Especially if you want to find a certain artist/song.

I also thought that if a feature were to be implemented, you could search songs by genre, making it easier to find new artists to listen to.

Numero Dos

Maybe add some advanced profile fields like music specialty, age, gender, height or whatever.

Suggestion #3

A favoriting/like system. Instead of choosing Top 20 Tracks by plays and views, why not add a like system?

A couple ideas I just came up with.

Number #1

I noticed there was no search function at all. I think this would be a good idea. Especially if you want to find a certain artist/song.

I also thought that if a feature were to be implemented, you could search songs by genre, making it easier to find new artists to listen to.

Suggestion #3

A favoriting/like system. Instead of choosing Top 20 Tracks by plays and views, why not add a like system?

Both of these are already being added.

Number two sounds reasonable enough. As a listener I don't need many more fields than are already present so it would also be good to perhaps allow a user to show/hide different profile sections (Like DeviantArt).

In the future make sure to read all of the topics in this section as well as all of the topics about pony.fm in general as that would have answered two of your suggestions. If you have suggestions that haven't been brought up yet then make a separate thread for each suggestion type. That way discussion for each suggestion can be better organized.

Edited by Bohtty

• 4 weeks later...

1) Search is a planned feature.

[sharedmedia=trac:issues:106]

2) Profile fields are a planned feature. The initial implementation will probably pull them from your MLP Forums account, but these will eventually be controlled from the global Poniverse Dashboard.

[sharedmedia=trac:issues:47]

3) A "favourites" playlist is a planned feature.

[sharedmedia=trac:issues:118]

I've been thinking about how to implement a track rating system, too. That would most likely be separate from the favouriting feature, which would be tied into playlists. Please start a new topic if you have any specific ideas for how to go about doing this. Right now, I'm leaning toward a like/dislike system like YouTube's.

I think that would be best the Like or dislike because it can give artists an idea which of their tracks are more popular with listeners and improve 

I would have to disagree on this one (in a nice way!). SoundCloud simply does favorites, which are represented by a little heart symbol. Either you favorite a track, or you don't. No likes or dislikes are involved.

Music is all about trial and error - what sounds right? What sounds off? I fear that if a new artist uploads too soon, he/she will be downvoted into oblivion, and they will lose any and all interest in music before they even have a chance to improve. Who knows? Give that same artist six more months of practice, and they could become a fandom favorite. But like I said, I think the like/dislike option could stifle/scare/depress new artists right out of their new hobby, before they get a chance to really play with music.

I think that would be best the Like or dislike because it can give artists an idea which of their tracks are more popular with listeners and improve

That sets a false standard. Popularity =/= quality. It's fine to figure out which songs are popular with listeners, but that data has nothing to do with self-improvement as a musician.

I agree with Cloudfyre regarding the downvoting bit. We've already seen that on Newgrounds. It's a mess. It's stopped many musicians (myself included) from using it as a place to put their music. That's not something I'd want to see happen to Pony.fm, and I'm assuming that's not something anyone else would want to see either.

Edited by DusK
  • Brohoof 1

That sets a false standard. Popularity =/= quality. It's fine to figure out which songs are popular with listeners, but that data has nothing to do with self-improvement as a musician.

I very much agree with this.... It's really hard starting out, or starting new in a new group. Knowing others care about what one pours one's heart into is what makes all the effort worthwhile.

BTW, I'm very glad to hear that numbers one and three are being integrated into the system! YAY! :D

Um... How do people feel about being able to flag one's posts for critiques.. ...keeping the user-critiques hidden until approved by a moderator. And then doing some small reward for the user who writes a critique that a music moderator approves? (This way moderators don't have to spend so much time writing critiques, but can make sure they are valid and constructive, and hopefully not discouraging.)

Um... How do people feel about being able to flag one's posts for critiques.. ...keeping the user-critiques hidden until approved by a moderator. And then doing some small reward for the user who writes a critique that a music moderator approves? (This way moderators don't have to spend so much time writing critiques, but can make sure they are valid and constructive, and hopefully not discouraging.)

This was actually discussed quite a bit in the featured artists thread (which I'll actually be adding a reply to shortly). I have this mental image of how it would look and operate, and how the system could possibly tie in with the potential "Submit for Featuring/Spotlighting/Whatever" system, but it's rather complex.

I was actually thinking about just laying out how what I think (if that matters laugh.png ) would be the best overall feedback/spotlighting system for Pony.fm in great detail, but I'm not sure if that would be something for the featured artists thread or if it would warrant another thread altogether, because it encompasses more than just spotlighting artists or music, but that aspect is also a big part of it in that it would create a system where being featured/spotlighting is a sort of "self-measurement goal" not unlike what getting posted to OC ReMix is for a VGM remixer.