Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

Or, she was never offered immortality at all.

*SPOILER ALERT*

You also have to remember that, in the book The Crystal Heart Spell, Cadence was once a pegasus before she reformed a certain villain, and as a result became an alicorn princess. However, even as an alicorn, she still retained her mortality, as implied by her adolescence spent foal-sitting a filly Twilight.

I haven't read The Crystal Heart Spell yet... That would explain my not knowing of Pre Alicorn Cadence. :P I really need to go buy that book...

Exactly. I don't think that just because she's a princess, she's immortal. I think the only reason Celestia and Luna are still alive is because they were born 1,000 years ago, when Equestria was unspeakably magical. I feel like Twilight, as sad as it is for me to say it, will grow old just like everyone else.

It has something to do with greater magical prowess. The way I see it Celestia and Luna aren't immortal. But they live longer than other ponies. They are more like the enlightened humans that possess unnatural abilities related to spiritual connection through meditation training and whatnot like people that reach higher consciousness. Like Gandalf and Dumbledore, they're humans but due to their practices in magic they can outlive other humans.

And yes it seems the ponies were more magically powerful back then seeing that they could move the sun and moon without the aid of the two sisters. This could work in the same canon as most "human world fiction," as in people in ancient times possessed greater spiritual connection before the technological age.

That's not to say the writers could make them immortal. Immortal characters just leave a bad taste on me like vampires and such.

It has something to do with greater magical prowess. The way I see it Celestia and Luna aren't immortal. But they live longer than other ponies. They are more like the enlightened humans that possess unnatural abilities related to spiritual connection through meditation training and whatnot like people that reach higher consciousness. Like Gandalf and Dumbledore, they're humans but due to their practices in magic they can outlive other humans.

And yes it seems the ponies were more magically powerful back then seeing that they could move the sun and moon without the aid of the two sisters. This could work in the same canon as most "human world fiction," as in people in ancient times possessed greater spiritual connection before the technological age.

That's not to say the writers could make them immortal. Immortal characters just leave a bad taste on me like vampires and such.

But when you look at Twilight and Cadence, while both have strong magic, it isn't strong enough to rival even Celestia and Luna's magic. They STILL have an eternity to go before they could match their magic with the royal sisters, and in-turn live longer lives, another reason why neither of them will outlive the other five main ponies and Shining Armor, respectively.

When I meant immortal I mean making Celestia and Luna immortal. I don't see why it would be so bad if Twilicorn was immortal either, but if Twilicorn is going to be mortal it would only be fair to make Celestia and Luna also just live long lives.

When I meant immortal I mean making Celestia and Luna immortal. I don't see why it would be so bad if Twilicorn was immortal either, but if Twilicorn is going to be mortal it would only be fair to make Celestia and Luna also just live long lives.

Then it is unofficially confirmed: Celestia and Luna are not immortal after all, but rather developed so much in the art of magic that they just artificially extended their own lifespans, probably with an age spell!

Though as for Twilight and Cadence, I highly doubt they will match Celestia and Luna's magic, or cast age spells on themselves, or even Shining Armor and the other five main ponies, to prolong their respective lifespans. Again, they still have a long way to go before matching the royal sisters' magic, meaning that they can still grow old and die together with the other five main ponies and Shining Armor, respectively.

Snip

The topic you raised in your thread is already being discussed in another thread. I have merged your thread with this already existing one. Please use the search function to check if a thread exists before creating a new one.

The thought did cross my mind, and this video here only made it worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KCW7N2NGiM

And then finally, to increase the pain (and in the process finally make me realize how painful it would be for both Twi and all of us) I played this alongside it (with the former video on mute)

However, that pain has passed, and while I am technically still concerned for Twilight, I keep reminding myself that it is a TV show, like the Simpsons only with ponies in the sense that nobody in the show actually ages. And besides, I mightn't know a hell of a lot about the show or the two princesses, but Celestia and Luna must be something like hundreds of years old and they're still going strong, but that is because they govern over the sun and moon. If they were to die, who would do it? And meanwhile Cadence and Twilight only govern over slightly less important things, allowing them to age with SA and the Mane 6 respectively. So alls pretty much well with me. 

While Twilight might be immortal now (and we don't know that), I highly doubt any of the mane 6 will die in the show, so we don't need to worry about that. :) If the show was targeted to a slightly older audience, it would actually be pretty cool if, at the end of the show, it showed a flash-forward to when Rainbow, AJ, Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy died, and Twilight was still alive, mourning for her lost friends.

But like I said, that won't happen, so I don't think we need to worry. :)

• Brohoof 1

I am hoping that Twilight's friends will become alicorns, too, at some point. Then her powers of friendship will last forever! Bwahahaa! Plus, if Twilight's friends were alicorns, too, they would balance each other out.

I feel sorry for Twilight's friends. Even though they were right beside her learning about friendship, they don't get to become alicorns. I guess they just don't understand friendship as much as she does-but why not?

I'm not worried about possible immortality even though I don't like the whole Twilicorn thing.

Even if Twilight had normal lifespan, she would mostly likely outlive some of her friends. It's normal for people to outlive their pets, parents, lifelong friends and they have to deal with it. Would you rather Twilight be the first to die so she wouldn't have to see her friends go?

The grieving process takes time but eventually people move on. Twilight had never had friends before and she probably invested all her feelings in friendship without moderation. After experiencing the loss of her friend she might think that she invested too much feeling because it made her vulnerable and she will be cautious with being too much involved in the future.

I relate to Twilight very much. It was very unusual for me to like MLP:FIM and I've never thought I would like it, just it was very unusual for Twilight to have friends. I've never before appreciated art, music, literature, animation. Honestly, I used to outright hate it. I feel like I invest too much feeling in the show and the fandom which makes it very difficult to see the loss the things which make me like the show in the first place. I don't regret anything, I just won't invest too much my feelings into something else.

When your pet dies, you can't just replace it with new one and expect to immediately have as strong bond as it was before. It might be very unfair to the new pet but we can't do anything about it and it's natural.

Also if Twilight doesn't age, she'll have to see her friends became old and be less physically active. She might have to make new friends to take on quests while her old friends are still alive.

You might think I'm very negative but I consider it a learning experience and I'd take the red pill any day knowing that I might be hurt.

Edited by MadPointer
  • Brohoof 1

I am hoping that Twilight's friends will become alicorns, too, at some point. Then her powers of friendship will last forever! Bwahahaa! Plus, if Twilight's friends were alicorns, too, they would balance each other out.

I feel sorry for Twilight's friends. Even though they were right beside her learning about friendship, they don't get to become alicorns. I guess they just don't understand friendship as much as she does-but why not?

Because the "task" was set for twilight, and twilight only. Twilight was the one who had to learn about friendship, kindless, loyalty, etc. from the very start. Or, at least according to the final episode. She was destined to be a princess, but she had to learn all those things first.

>For all we know, Twilight could be like Cadence, and age normally

>There is no chance in hell a show rated Y for Young audiences is going to kill off any of the primary or secondary characters

The most we're ever going to continue to get is fan fics, fan art, etc depicting such an event. And you can ignore those :3

• Brohoof 2

Two points I would like to make real quick for this. One is Cadence, she married a unicorn, is it like in Lord of the Rings where she gave up her immortality for him or will she outlive him? Will she watch him age as she remains the same and loses the love of her life possibly lso going through the same thing with any children they have or do they become immortal? Is Shining armor going to live forever now? and is there any magic that they can use on friends and family? 

It's still not entirely certain that being an alicorn even necessarily comes with a side order of immortality. Celestia and Luna are definitely long-lived, but then, they are invested with the responsibility to ensure that cycles of day and night continue. That might be the source of their immortality rather than just being alicorns. As for Cadance, there is no guarantee that she will continue to age. Maybe she has already stopped aging. Without more information, to quote Chris Sabian, "You got no eyes, you got no ears, you got nothing but assumptions!"

Unless the producers jump several centuries into the future with the storywriting - like showing an epilogue of the sort - it's safe to assume that we won't witness an episode based around it. However, on a chronological level it's wise to assume that Twilight's friends will indeed pass away of old age during her rule.

This is a good question to develop around season four in regards to Twilight's age -- is she now truly immortal like Celestia, or will she age like any other unicorn? My gut tells me it's the former considering there hasn't been a unicorn of her ability since Star Swirl. That's several, several centuries worth of generations of magicians that aren't even close to the level Twilight's currently at. What exactly is the true extent of her power? 

Thanks for replying the topic, I'm really happy to see the opinions from different perspectives. I know the whole "Alicorn outliving friends" issue is pure speculation without any cannon evidence and I'm probably over thinking the issue too much. I also see the point of "It's just a show for kids" argument. too, but as far as I'm concerned the characters have been developed well enough and that's why I'm worry about their fate. Guess that's one of the effects of good storytelling, isn't it?

I understand that there are always new generations to make friends with or there will always be offspring to look after, but I still can't help but thinking that after dealing with just so many deaths that it would be really hard to go on. I'm still wondering how Celestia deal with it during all those years, she probably outlived dozens of her students already, not to mention all the friends she might had in the past. "Outliving some of your friends or family members" and "Doomed to outlive all of your friends and loved ones generation by generation" is totally different thing, that's why I consider immortality is nothing but a curse.

Cadence's case would still make sense if we assumed that all the Alicorns are immortal and they will keep aging until certain point then stop afterward. But I rather believe Cadence and Twilight are still mortal, otherwise it's just too sad for their spouse/family/friends/loved ones....

But if I have to look the marriage between Cadence and Shining Armor in a more cynical way, I would say that Cadence is probably too young to understand the horror of immortality and she will learn it someday....

"IF" alicorns are indeed immortal, the marriage between Cadance and Shining Armor will end up like this:

429764_464293593641900_1168478743_n_zpsf

Twilight and her friends will end up like this:

256177__UNOPT__safe_twilight-sparkle_rai

Gosh...this made me feel so depressed again, I should really avoid those fan-arts that depicting this kind of thing and hope the show won't confirm anything about the longevity of alicorn.

i dont think she is immortal now. If you pay attention you would notice that Cadence ages in the show, and she is an alicorn. Also there are episodes where they talk about a princess in the past tense, as if she was no longer alive. i only think Luna and Celestia are immortal (since they are sort of like goddesses)

• Brohoof 1

Almost all of them outright depresses me, because they feature Twilight Sparkle forced to outlive her friends as they die one-by-one around her.  They're also hypocritical, because Twilight was sent to Ponyville to make friends, and forcing her to outlive her friends would mean taking her away from them, thus rendering all of her friendship lessons meaningless.

While My Little Pony had its own moments of dark themes, the show (and the comics, too) would never go so far as to show Twilight outliving all of her friends, and not just because it's a show for children.  Twilight is not immortal; she's given wings and a title, but there is almost no way in Hell she is going to outlive her friends.  It's like when you look at Cadence, and how she's not going to outlive Shining Armor, simply because we saw her as an adolescent when foalsitting Twilight.

The only way Twilight would attain true immortality is if she casts an age spell on herself over and over again, any time she becomes elderly.  But other than that, there were two moments in Season Three that didn't require her to max out her magical capacity to save the day, including sending off Spike to save the Crystal Empire, and working together with her friends to outsmart Trixie.  Even as an alicorn, she still lacks the magical capacity to cast an age spell on herself for immortality, or to become immortal in-general.  She's still not up to par with Princess Celestia in-terms of magic, nor will ever be, and is therefore not going to outlive her friends.  She's just going to run an entire nation as the third princess of Equestria, nothing else!

But so long as all of you keep writing those dark, depressing Immortal Twilicorn fics, you'll only do nothing more than outright depress me and make me feel miserable.  My Little Pony is supposed to be a feel-good series, and those Immortal Twilicorn fics only serve to go against the happy tone and mood of the show.  If I want dark, angsty, and emo, I'd go to Neon Genesis Evangelion or the second half of the Harry Potter series.  Where I won't go, however, is My Little Pony, because it's supposed to be a huge, huge break from all that dark, emo nonsense, even if it did fix all the problems that made G3 and G3.5 infamous in the first place!  And, all of those Immortal Twilicorn fanfics just ruin the MLP experience for me, because of how dark and emo those stories are for me.

I've read a few, and I kind of like them. I don't like MLP because it's a feel good show. I watch it because it genuinly entertains me and makes me think about how I could use the lessons I learn IRL (because, you know, almost all the eps have an aseop)

Which is why I don't mind people writing depressing stories about Twilight. Also, if you don't like them, why are you reading them? You don't have to read them... Or is it the idea of Twilight outliving her friends that you find unappealing, because you don't want to think about outliving the people you love... That I think is totally reasonable...

I've read a few, and I kind of like them. I don't like MLP because it's a feel good show. I watch it because it genuinly entertains me and makes me think about how I could use the lessons I learn IRL (because, you know, almost all the eps have an aseop)

Which is why I don't mind people writing depressing stories about Twilight. Also, if you don't like them, why are you reading them? You don't have to read them... Or is it the idea of Twilight outliving her friends that you find unappealing, because you don't want to think about outliving the people you love... That I think is totally reasonable...

To be honest, I have no friends myself, and even if I love my family, I don't socialize with them often. I turn to friendship-driven franchises like My Little Pony to cope with my loneliness, and just dealing with Twilicorn outliving her friends only serve to make me feel more lonely, and as a result more miserable.

To be honest, I have no friends myself, and even if I love my family, I don't socialize with them often. I turn to friendship-driven franchises like My Little Pony to cope with my loneliness, and just dealing with Twilicorn outliving her friends only serve to make me feel more lonely, and as a result more miserable.

Another good reason to avoid them like the plague... I'm really secure about my friends, and I know if one dies I'm gonna be sad, but I'll go on... I think... I don't really know... I've never been dealt that particular card in life...