Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle's Immortality

Bendy

Sorry to ask if this is a silly question....Is the merge complete? I can't find any topics from above except "Twilight Sparkle's Immortality" thread. 

All of those threads were merged into one. The one topic retained the name of that particular thread, because it was the oldest thread.

Alicorns are not immortal. Cadence is proof of that. So in any case Twilight will not live forever, she may have an extended lifespan however. I see alicorns more like elves from Tolkien myth. They can live a very long time but not forever.

Just wondering in what episode did cadance die? Look this is a magical world of technicolor ponies, in my opinion it makes sense that they are all immortal and although there are newborns and the ponies do grow up and stuff there is still nothing canon to prove that any of them actually die. There are no graveyards or anything, and the closest you can gather is from the fact that starswirl never actually shows up but that could just be because he was exiled or something or other.

I think 1 possible way to think of this is that the alicorns grow at a normal rate until they have found their true responsibility, and they remain immortal until their responsibility no longer exists. Celestia will stay alive for as long as the sun needs to be raised. Luna will stay alive for as long as the moon needs raised. Cadance will live for as long as the crystal empire needs a leader. Twilight has 2 major responsibilities that I believe are the  ones she will live to attend to but die soon after: The elements of harmony, and her friends. Theoretically this would mean that Twilight would not be immortal, it explains Cadance aging, etc etc

I believe I already participated in this thread, but... Here I go again. :P

Whilst I believe it's very possible that Twilight is immortal (but I don't really think she is), I don't think we need to worry about it. Why? Think about it. Ponies live for a VERY long time. Watch Family Appreciation Day. Granny smith has to be, like, at least 110 years old. That's a very long time, and I'd bet money that the show won't go on so long as to go into the mane six's elder years. I'd also bet money that none of the mane six are going to die in the show. Let's all remember that this is a kid's show. Do you seriously think the writers are going to kill off any of the main characters? I sincerely doubt it.

Of course, I could be wrong.

(edited)

A few thoughts that may or may not be obvious. First, even if Twilight is not immortal she may outlive her friends anyway. It happens so often in real life that it's become a cliche or meme. The old person who's lost their friends, and family, or checks the obituary daily to see who's died.

Now people might say they hate even the idea of Twilight being left alone, or seeing her friends die, even if we never see it. My reply is welcome to TV land where writers regularly leave fans hanging, or with less than satisfactory endings, or kill your favorite character. Been there and done that. The wonderful thing about fandom is that we care about these issues, but it can become a curse too. I've seen it happen. I see TV shows as being like an airplane ride. We have no control once we get on bored so just enjoy the view and be happy. Raiding the cockpit isn't an option.!

Edited by Nature Spell

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/twilight-sparkle-alicorn-controversy It doesn't sound like Lauren wanted this to happen, considering she said her ideas are now irrelevant. Just because they have Celestia say in season THREE (which Luaren was no longer a part of at the time) that she "will be that much closer to being ready", doesn't mean this was planned from the start. I don't believe it was.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/twilight-sparkle-alicorn-controversy It doesn't sound like Lauren wanted this to happen, considering she said her ideas are now irrelevant. Just because they have Celestia say in season THREE (which Luaren was no longer a part of at the time) that she "will be that much closer to being ready", doesn't mean this was planned from the start. I don't believe it was.

Actually, Lauren Faust intended for Twilight to be a princess, just not an alicorn as well.  She once mentioned that in the brony documentary interviews, alongside her intentions for Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Actually, Lauren Faust intended for Twilight to be a princess, just not an alicorn as well.  She once mentioned that in the brony documentary interviews, alongside her intentions for Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Oh yeah? What kind of plans did she have for the others? All I know is that there was supposed to be development with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's relationship, even though it's been said RD wouldn't make the best big sister figure. And judging from what happened in "Sleepless in Ponyville", it still seems like she's not the best role model. So let's hope they build on that.

(edited)

Oh yeah? What kind of plans did she have for the others? All I know is that there was supposed to be development with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo's relationship, even though it's been said RD wouldn't make the best big sister figure. And judging from what happened in "Sleepless in Ponyville", it still seems like she's not the best role model. So let's hope they build on that.

Lauren Faust intended for Rarity to become a Canterlot pony, and Rainbow Dash a Wonderbolt.  Both those characters eventually received those wishes in Season Two's Sweet and Elite, and Season Three's Wonderbolt Academy, respectively, if only for a little while before returning to Ponyville.  The Cutie Mark Crusaders were also intended to eventually receive their cutie-marks.

I know because those things were also mentioned during the interview with her in the brony documentary.  Though, with regard to Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy, I don't really know what her intentions were with them, because she never mentioned them.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Another note, there is no guarantee that *Luna* is immortal. The only alicorn that is demonstrably immortal (or at least exceptionally long-lived) is Celestia, as it is heavily implied that she has been active for a thousand years+. Luna, on the other hand, spent all of that time in exile on, or in, the moon. As such she may not have been technically alive that entire time, but possibly physically merged with the moon and therefore suspended.

Another note, there is no guarantee that *Luna* is immortal. The only alicorn that is demonstrably immortal (or at least exceptionally long-lived) is Celestia, as it is heavily implied that she has been active for a thousand years+. Luna, on the other hand, spent all of that time in exile on, or in, the moon. As such she may not have been technically alive that entire time, but possibly physically merged with the moon and therefore suspended.

Good theory, considering that she came back as Nightmare Moon from the start, and not Luna. One would think that she would repent with 1000 years. Seeing that she didn't- we didn't at least didn't even get a glance at Luna before she went all, The Night Will Last Forever!- proves the above point. Which is also a reason why she was so small when she came back to her normal form.

However, I personally say that Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Twilight are linked to their respective Elements- the sun, the moon, love, and magic, respectively. When their element dies, they do, too. I would say the same thing about the Element of Harmony wielders, considering that they are unique ponies who took up powerful artifacts.

Good news, fillies and gentlecolts!  I asked Meghan McCarthy on Twitter if Twilight will be immortal and outlive her friends, and she said that Twilight won't outlive her friends!

Here's the proof:  https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/323513777427468288?refsrc=email

One of the Twitter users even responded with, "Twilight dying in Season 4 confirmed," as a little joke!

• Brohoof 1

Hello bronies, and I have some great news for you guys.

Here is the Equestria Daily link: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/twilight-sparkle-wont-outlive-her.html

As confirmed by Meghan herself, Twilight Sparkle, the new Alicorn Princess will not outlive her friends. Plus, season 4 is not Equestria Girls, and Equestria Girls is just a straight to DVD movie. Another great piece of News!

I think this is great news, and glad she won't outlive anypony. What do you guys think? 

/)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hoove
  • Brohoof 3

Hello bronies, and I have some great news for you guys.

Here is the Equestria Daily link: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/04/twilight-sparkle-wont-outlive-her.html

As confirmed by Meghan herself, Twilight Sparkle, the new Alicorn Princess will not outlive her friends. Plus, season 4 is not Equestria Girls, and Equestria Girls is just a straight to DVD movie. Another great piece of News!

I think this is great news, and glad she won't outlive anypony. What do you guys think? Tell me in the comments below!

/)

Hello. Your topic is essentially sharing news as to whether Twilight is immortal or not and whether she will outlive her friends, so I have merged it with the main topic for speculating on that subject.

This is a breath of fresh air for me certainly, and it more or less buries the concept of a good third of the Twiliicorn fanfics out there.

Of course, due to wording, it may mean that she is a mortal alicorn or that she will return to unicornhood. I think the former is more likely.

Edited by Strawhat
  • Brohoof 2

Of course, due to wording, it may mean that she is a mortal alicorn or that she will return to unicornhood. I think the former is more likely.

I do think there are two types of Alicorn. The immortal and the mortal. The immortal being the two sisters, Celestia and Luna who control the sun and the moon. And the mortal alicorns being Cadence and Twilight who control the not so necessary items like magic and love.

/)

• Brohoof 3

OR the wording could suggest that everyone will become an alicorn!

"But Mr. Hasbro Exectutive, making everyone an alicorn makes no sense!"

img-1371042-1-Lickboot.png

"You should know the drill by now. Frankly, if any one is at fault, it's you for not expecting this."

Or they could just kill off Twilight, which means she wouldn't outlive anyone.

That would be...awkward.

Edited by Lord Voldemort
  • Brohoof 1

Rest of Mane 6 confirmed to be alicorns in Season 4! laugh.png

But if the Twitter post is canon, then I suppose that puts the concerns about her outliving her friends to rest. It would've made for some interesting plot points, but I guess that would be far too dark for a kiddie show. 

• Brohoof 1

Rest of Mane 6 confirmed to be alicorns in Season 4! laugh.png

But if the Twitter post is canon, then I suppose that puts the concerns about her outliving her friends to rest. It would've made for some interesting plot points, but I guess that would be far too dark for a kiddie show. 

It was far to dark when they brought Sombra, and evil unicorn who basically made every pony his slave. I said it once, and I will say it again, Twilight will not stay in alicorn. That is my personal believe. She will be to nervous, and will give up her wings.

/)

It was far to dark when they brought Sombra, and evil unicorn who basically made every pony his slave. I said it once, and I will say it again, Twilight will not stay in alicorn. That is my personal believe. She will be to nervous, and will give up her wings.

/)

But then, I ask, what message will that give to the viewers (who are primarily highly-impressionable children)? That one should give up responsibility if nervous? As much as I miss unicorn Twilight, I'm afraid that there's no going back, and that her wings are here to stay. Either the writers have written themselves into a corner (as many fear), or they'll be able to put a positive spin on the whole thing. I'm hoping it'll be the latter.

Edited by Darth Vader

But then, I ask, what message will that give to the viewers (who are primarily highly-impressionable children)? That one should give up responsibility if nervous? As much as I miss unicorn Twilight, I'm afraid that there's no going back, and that her wings are here to stay. Either the writers have written themselves into a corner (as many fear), or they'll be able to put a positive spin on the whole thing. I'm hoping it'll be the latter.

It will give the message that your friends and family are more important than your work. Always put your friends first, because some day they will be gone, in dead. 

/)

It will give the message that your friends and family are more important than your work. Always put your friends first, because some day they will be gone, in dead. 

/)

I suppose it could work that way, especially considering the nature of the show, but is teaching responsibility not just as important? I think the writers will have to compromise between prioritizing friendship and responsibility. They'll likely dodge the question of mortality altogether, but if they manage to slip that in without sounding alarms, that would be great, too. 

• Brohoof 1

wait

people actually think this show is going to tackle the immortality issue

as in have a candid discussion about death on a kid's show?

come on

we've only seen one character die so far, and there has been no mention of death or immortality on the show

relax people

• Brohoof 2