Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tara on Alicorn Twilight: "It’s not going to change the feel of the show"

JESmith

I chatted to a friend about the Twilicorn episode and we both agreed that the episode would have been A LOT better had it been split into two separate episodes. One for the whole swapping cutie marks debacle, and part two for tackling Twilight becoming a princess alicorn. It would not have been so rushed and would have worked better.

Also.... getting vibes from this old skool MLP cartoon here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_The_Princess_Promenade I know it's completely out there, but it would be a neat resolution. XD

I find it extremely hard to believe that nothing will have changed with Twilight's life after becoming a princess. Don't rulers have....you know.....responsibilities? She's co-leading an entire country, I don't see how that wouldn't interfere with her life in any way. People keep saying this is supposed to change the show, but Tara is saying it won't, so......

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 1

See, the writers know what their doing. Twilight becoming an alicorn won't change the show, and she still have her same personality. So to all those who were worrying: MLP will be MLP, the show won't be destroyed because of Twilight becoming an alicorn. ;)

I trusted the writers when I heard about this, and now especially after reading this I know they'll do a good job in continuing the show. :) The only thing that'll change is Twilight having wings. And that'll be cool to see, I'd love to see RD giving her some flying tips! :D So I think that this brings up a lot of positive things to the show, instead of bad. 

Tara Strong is not a writer and doesn't sit in the same room. Voice actors do their part in an audio room and hardly have any interaction with the writers.

No one complains that the Mane Six have saved Equestria twice now, by wielding the MOST POWERFUL MAGIC, The Elements of Harmony. What they did on the first episodes of S1 and S2 is the stuff of legends in itself. But nopony treats them as heroes. If Equestria was like Earth the girls would have some nobility title and Blueblood would have been begging to marry Rarity in the gala.

This just what will happen to Princess Twilight. Everypony will treat her like just another pony. This is good and bad at the same time. It keeps the girls "normal" but will feel awkward. However, we already excuse the show for treating the Mane Six (that would be a cool title) as "common folk". We can do that for dear Twilight.

Everything is gonna be fine.

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

Well im relieved she stays in Ponyville with the other Mane 6.

Im just wondering how the other ponies in Ponyville will react to her now that shes a Princess... Theres HAS to be an episode where she extorts her powers as Princess to get free stuff....  :)

• Brohoof 1

No one complains that the Mane Six have saved Equestria twice now, by wielding the MOST POWERFUL MAGIC, The Elements of Harmony. What they did on the first episodes of S1 and S2 is the stuff of legends in itself. But nopony treats them as heroes. If Equestria was like Earth the girls would have some nobility title and Blueblood would have been begging to marry Rarity in the gala.

This just what will happen to Princess Twilight. Everypony will treat her like just another pony. This is good and bad at the same time. It keeps the girls "normal" but will feel awkward. However, we already excuse the show for treating the Mane Six (that would be a cool title) as "common folk". We can do that for dear Twilight.

Everything is gonna be fine.

I agree with you I think she's fufiled her destiny and a new one is about to start and more to learn with her friends and I think Twilight becoming a princess has a reason cause remember Discord was released and Queen Chrysalis wasn't defeated just kicked out by Twilight's brothers spell, I honestly that it's pointing to something that Celestia can't handle on her own.

I agree with you I think she's fufiled her destiny and a new one is about to start and more to learn with her friends and I think Twilight becoming a princess has a reason cause remember Discord was released and Queen Chrysalis wasn't defeated just kicked out by Twilight's brothers spell, I honestly that it's pointing to something that Celestia can't handle on her own.

Keep Calm and Flutter On was made for season 2, but it was canned and them resurfaced on season 3. I wonder if the same is true of Magic Duel...

Makes me think that Discord will come again on season 4 and he probably has something to say about Princess Twilight.

About Celestia needing help, I'm not sure. She has been ruling Equestria for 1000 years and as far as we know, everything is just fine. Now, she even has Luna back. Even if it's not some practical matter, like a new threat, but an esoteric issue about friendship, I doubt that if season 4 starts soon after season 3, Twilight will actually be any help. She know nothing of being a princess yet.

I can't believe she understands friendship or magic as much as Celestia because of the experience gap between them: Celestia is 1000+ years old and Twilight seems around 20.

If I was involved in the show, I'd make a lot of episodes with Twilight fumbling with government under supervision, screwing up bad, and drawing some moral lesson about responsibility, abusing you power, etc... I'd also make her fly with grace of a stone, having to learn how to fly (damn that ending), and losing control of her magic a few times.

I would make some world building on how Equestrian government works, because we need to know what are the princesses actually doing. Also, I'd make something abou the griffons: the girls being sent to solve some issue between ponies and griffons (along with Luna?)

What I sure wouldn't do is put Twilight on the same level as Celestia and Luna, or even Cadance.

• Brohoof 1

Tara Strong is not a writer and doesn't sit in the same room. Voice actors do their part in an audio room and hardly have any interaction with the writers.

No, she's not a writer.  But she is a member of the staff, and her lines aren't completely dictated to her.  She is a lot closer to the writers than any of us, so I would trust her judgment on the future of the show a lot more than speculation within its fan community.

Until Season 4 actually starts showing we have no idea how they will handle Twilight's change, but truth be told I really don't think it will change anything apart from Twilight having wings.

Coming from the Pokemon community as I do I'm well use to the more 'veteran' members of a community being afraid of change and it is understandable to a point, but Twilight has been on this road every since we first met her and I for one think its a good thing that we see her reach this level within the shows lifespan then just have it tacked on when the series ends as some kind of 'Happy 'Ending'.

For a moment, I thought that at one point in the new season, Twi would eventually give up her Princess powers or something in that effect. I'm still curious as to how this goes.

On a personal standpoint, I hope to see a lot more adventure coming out of the new AliTwi. It is most likely not going to happen, since we still need our usual slice-of-life episodes, but I find adventure episodes really fun to me (see: Dragonshy, Return to Harmony).

I'll say this much by asking this one question I'm hoping someone would relay to Tara Strong;

Will Twilight be immortal as an Alicorn and therefore outlive her friends?

if the answer is no, I think that could be enough to help us roll with it.

But my previous question on the issue still remains; Why should Twilight stay an Alicorn? what reasons story-wise does the show have that they should keep her that way?

"same Twilight but can do more stuff", like what? fly? so can Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy! so what's the point in giving Twilight wings?

change does happen in show, but it should only happen for a reason, and I have yet to see a reason for Twilight to stay an Alicorn.

okay, I'm probubly ranting at the moment, but you see my point? can the any of the cast and crew tell us why Twilight should stay and Alicorn? can anyone in this message board give a good reason? if so, I'd strongly appreciate a reply here.

'Cause I still see no reason why Twilight shouldn't be turned back into a unicorn later.

• Brohoof 1

On the reactions of the other Mane 5: I think the complete lack of shock and skepticism is likely a symptom of how rushed the finale was - they literally didn't have time to add any conflict about it to that episode. That's why I'm guessing that the S4 opener is going to contain a retcon.

Yee, 

it's the third time I watch the episode, my only true complaint was that it was rushed, it hardly gave any of the characters any time to express their feelings through out the whole thing, besides the songs, which simply weren't enough, imo.

Also, I'm sorry about my rant earlier, I wasn't like this at first, but after seeing my expectations for the finale didn't go as I hoped, everything slowly crumbled around me, I'll get over this soon x)

• Brohoof 1

Also, I'm sorry about my rant earlier, I wasn't like this at first, but after seeing my expectations for the finale didn't go as I hoped, everything slowly crumbled around me, I'll get over this soon x)

Happens to all of us. :)  No problem, as far as I'm concerned.

In retrospect (I haven't rewatched it yet myself), I'm also starting to see the finale more as just "This was really rushed" and not that it was a bad episode.  The plot was all right (not terribly deep, but not insultingly shallow either), and my qualms about the execution are a combination of "They needed more time / 2 episodes to really do it justice" and just personal preference (I'm really not a fan of musicals).

• 4 weeks later...

They never say Alicorns are God-like. Cadence has no special powers, yet she is an Alicorn. That probably means Twilight will stay Twilight.

she can control love as far as i know, like Cupid, which is kind of messed up if you ask me.

The show hasn't really explored her abilities much really, not like they have with Luna

Phew.  I have to feel sorry for the show creators having to deal with all the hate.  But people at least seem to be having fewer complaints about the finale as time goes on.  And I'm sure many of our questions will be answered when the season 4 finale pops up.  This is ponies.  It won't be super complicated lol.

I know Tara has good intentions, but whether it changes the feel of the show is really in the eye of the beholder. In some ways I think it's inevitable. If they change Twilight's character or role because of this a lot of people will have reservations, and if they don't change anything there was no point to making her an alicorn at all.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

This, I hate.

The way the show is turning seems like everyone wanted to shut the book but was stopped at the last second, and look at the mess we are left with.

This seems like the end of a movie. But its not a movie, movies stop. TV shows keep going. While the kiddies wont mind im sure, this sure is a slap in the face to me and me sister.

I hope something happens to change this.

Edited by TheLegitDerpyHooves
  • Brohoof 1

I call bs.

Shes just SUDDENLY A FREAKIN GODDESS.

Says who?

I know she is the main protagonist, but seriously, com on Hasbro. WHERE DO YOU FREAKING GO FROM HERE!?

How about exploring the Many potential plotlines surrounding Twilight's new status and form, the impacts this may have on her friendships, and all the valuable life lessons they all still have yet to learn?

Its like the end of a movie! THIS IS A TELEVISION SHOW! It must CONTINUE!!!

Two things: First, not all TV shows HAVE to keep going. Sometimes, there's a natural end to a show and keeping it going after that just prolongs everyone's misery. (I'm looking at you, Simpsons.)

And second: word has it that Magical Mystery Cure might have been made as the series finale, but was hastily converted to just a season finale when Season 4 was announced only weeks before it aired. It hasn't been confirmed that this was the case, but if it did go through that, you should probably cut them a little slack.

Sorry for the rant im just ultra-pissed.

As you said, it's just a TV show. It's not the end of the world. Relax, before you strain something. ;) Edited by Harvan

How about exploring the Many potential plotlines surrounding Twilight's new status and form, the impacts this may have on her friendships, and all the valuable life lessons they all still have yet to learn?

If you look at Celestias character in the show, she often struggles to simply have fun or make friends, im not saying its impossible, but it would be out of character for what the show has established as a "Princess" It would be possible to branch off from the whole princess thing, but for a true princess, she would be sitting in a throne all day long, not going to areas and locations where she can interact and learn lessons from her friends.

Says who?

Shes not a "Goddess"I suppose, but her authority has skyrocketed out of nowhere, that is what i was getting at.

As you said, it's just a TV show. It's not the end of the world. Relax, before you strain something.  wink.png 

Your right. I made an ass out of myself, sorry. 

Two things: First, not all TV shows HAVE to keep going. Sometimes, there's a natural end to a show and keeping it going after that just prolongs everyone's misery. (I'm looking at you, Simpsons.) And second: word has it that Magical Mystery Cure might have been made as the series finale, but was hastily converted to just a season finale when Season 4 was announced only weeks before it aired. It hasn't been confirmed that this was the case, but if it did go through that, you should probably cut them a little slack.

A company will do whatever it takes to make more money. I dont think that they were planning for a final shutdown, but if that WAS the case, and they got canned to keep going, you are right, and I am wrong.

Edited by TheLegitDerpyHooves

Am I the only one that thinks that:

If the only way bronies can feel reassured is by reading interviews and twitter posts, it means that there's a problem with the show itself? The season finale should have made us feel good about this change, not random interviews from Tara and Meghan. The idea that twitter posts are being used as 'proof' is insulting IMO.

Also, I wish people would stop saying "It's a 3 parter!" It's not a 3 parter. It's a season finale and a season 4 premiere that happen to be linked story-wise. That's not a 3 parter, regardless of what Meghan said on twitter. If it was a 3 parter, and if it answers all of our questions and worries, we should have seen those other 2 episodes in season 3.

• Brohoof 2

If the only way bronies can feel reassured is by reading interviews and twitter posts, it means that there's a problem with the show itself? The season finale should have made us feel good about this change, not random interviews from Tara and Meghan. The idea that twitter posts are being used as 'proof' is insulting IMO.

Also, I wish people would stop saying "It's a 3 parter!" It's not a 3 parter. It's a season finale and a season 4 premiere that happen to be linked story-wise. That's not a 3 parter, regardless of what Meghan said on twitter. If it was a 3 parter, and if it answers all of our questions and worries, we should have seen those other 2 episodes in season 3.

Yes, you are.

You have every right to your own opinion.  Unfortunately, not everyone is going to agree with it.  I don't agree with it myself.  I do believe that the S4 premiere will answer all of our questions regarding Princess Twilicorn, even if they aren't parts two and three of a three-part story-arc.

Besides, think about the two-part Simpsons special, "Who Shot Mr. Burns?"  That was a two-parter, but people had to wait in-between seasons to get part-two.  Same thing with that cliffhanger ending in the Season Two finale of Transformers Prime, when Optimus died helping his Autobots escape Megatron and his newly-built Decepticon fortress.  Or, the Season One finale of Kaijudo, when the Choten got away with just that water-helmet, Master Nigel Brightmore sided with the Choten, and that fire-civilization monarch, Infernus the Immolator, decided to declare war, possibly on the other four civilizations as well as the human-world itself.

If we can have those, then I don't see why the S3 finale would not be part-one of a three-parter.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Am I the only one that thinks that:   If the only way bronies can feel reassured is by reading interviews and twitter posts, it means that there's a problem with the show itself? The season finale should have made us feel good about this change, not random interviews from Tara and Meghan. The idea that twitter posts are being used as 'proof' is insulting IMO.  

You're not the only one, it doesn't matter what anyone says about how alicorn Twilight will turn out, because the season 3 finale should have answered at least SOME questions about it, instead it raised even more, and no matter how much people will analyze the finale, it was still the worst episode ever (in my opinion)

I don't even believe the writers or Tara Strong (especially her) when they say stuff like "Twilight will stay in ponyville" and "it won't change the feel of the show", i wouldn't be surprised if their just making stuff up, it's not the first time they did that.

• Brohoof 1

I'll say this much by asking this one question I'm hoping someone would relay to Tara Strong;

Will Twilight be immortal as an Alicorn and therefore outlive her friends?

if the answer is no, I think that could be enough to help us roll with it.

But my previous question on the issue still remains; Why should Twilight stay an Alicorn? what reasons story-wise does the show have that they should keep her that way?

"same Twilight but can do more stuff", like what? fly? so can Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy! so what's the point in giving Twilight wings?

change does happen in show, but it should only happen for a reason, and I have yet to see a reason for Twilight to stay an Alicorn.

okay, I'm probubly ranting at the moment, but you see my point? can the any of the cast and crew tell us why Twilight should stay and Alicorn? can anyone in this message board give a good reason? if so, I'd strongly appreciate a reply here.

'Cause I still see no reason why Twilight shouldn't be turned back into a unicorn later.

Someone at Unicon asked if Twilight would live a long time (they did not specify immortality):

The answer was "Yes".

As for your second question, I honestly have no answer myself. I don't see what they can accomplish now that they couldn't with Unicorn Twilight.

I only half-agree with your first statement. While I believe we should take everything the staffers and VA's say with a grain of salt, I'm inclined to believe that any tweet that wasn't facilitated by a question may have some validity to it. Leaks should not be trusted or believed at all.

As for your second statement:

A three parter does not need to be aired simultaneously. Many shows multi-part stories with a break in-between, as it keeps the viewer wanting more. It's just not typical in cartoons. If the plot of Magical Mystery Cure ties in with the Season 4 opener, than it is most definitely a three-parter. A three-parter sort of implies that watching only one part will leave the viewer with a lack of closure (much like the case with Magical Mystery Cure).