Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tara on Alicorn Twilight: "It’s not going to change the feel of the show"

JESmith

Someone at Unicon asked if Twilight would live a long time (they did not specify immortality):

The answer was "Yes".

As for your second question, I honestly have no answer myself. I don't see what they can accomplish now that they couldn't with Unicorn Twilight.

I remain convinced that the person should've asked specifically if Twilight will be immortal and will outlive her friends as a result.

'Cause that's one of the primary concerns a good amount of fans have regarding Twilight being an Alicorn.

Simply asking if Twilight will live for a long time doesn't clear either of those things up.

Yes, you are.

You have every right to your own opinion.  Unfortunately, not everyone is going to agree with it.  I don't agree with it myself.  I do believe that the S4 premiere will answer all of our questions regarding Princess Twilicorn, even if they aren't parts two and three of a three-part story-arc.

I only half-agree with your first statement. While I believe we should take everything the staffers and VA's say with a grain of salt, I'm inclined to believe that any tweet that wasn't facilitated by a question may have some validity to it. Leaks should not be trusted or believed at all.

I'm not sure either of you actually understood the point I was trying to make. I fully believe that the season 4 premiere will answer all our questions. Let's say every quote from the writers/VAs about season 4 is 100% accurate. My first point still stands.

I have had to search online for information about the show just to find some reassurance. Twilight staying in Ponyville? The finale didn't tell us that. Twilight not changing her lifestyle? The finale didn't tell us that either. We shouldn't have to go scouring interviews and twitter posts just so that we're not afraid of the future. Without all the various quotes from staff members, people would still be thinking that Twilight would leave her friends, be immortal, rule Equestria etc. The actual episode itself should have quelled our fears, not f***ing twitter posts. Once again, if the writers have to do this it means that there's a problem with the show itself. If the finale was absolutely awesome people wouldn't be worried.

As for the '3 parter' thing, that was posted after people freaked out about the finale and was a case of 'I consider it a 3 parter, so don't worry!' Sorry, but at no point before was it said that it was a 3 parter and there have been no official statements to say that it is. As I said before, if it's a 3 parter, we should have already seen the episodes instead of having a fandom worry for 6/7 months.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure either of you actually understood the point I was trying to make. I fully believe that the season 4 premiere will answer all our questions. Let's say every quote from the writers/VAs about season 4 is 100% accurate. My first point still stands.

I have had to search online for information about the show just to find some reassurance. Twilight staying in Ponyville? The finale didn't tell us that. Twilight not changing her lifestyle? The finale didn't tell us that either. We shouldn't have to go scouring interviews and twitter posts just so that we're not afraid of the future. Without all the various quotes from staff members, people would still be thinking that Twilight would leave her friends, be immortal, rule Equestria etc. The actual episode itself should have quelled our fears, not f***ing twitter posts. Once again, if the writers have to do this it means that there's a problem with the show itself. If the finale was absolutely awesome people wouldn't be worried.

As for the '3 parter' thing, that was posted after people freaked out about the finale and was a case of 'I consider it a 3 parter, so don't worry!' Sorry, but at no point before was it said that it was a 3 parter and there have been no official statements to say that it is. As I said before, if it's a 3 parter, we should have already seen the episodes instead of having a fandom worry for 6/7 months.

So what you're trying to say is that the show became problematic when it was twitter posts answering our questions, not the show itself.

But, by saying that the S3 finale and the S4 premiere are not parts of an entire story-arc, you're also implying that Princess Twilicorn will be here to stay...

Really, I just don't get you.  You're Anti-Twilicorn, that I can understand.  But why do you have to ruin everything for people like me every time you point out evidence to something that isn't even confirmed yet?  And, if you hate Princess Twilicorn so much, why don't you do what the Mass Effect 3 fans did with the game's awful ending, and form a Facebook protest movement telling the writers to change Twilight back into a unicorn?  After all, all fanbases protest against changes to their favorite franchises all the time, most especially if those changes are for the worse.  As a fanbase ourselves, we bronies should also have a right to protest against changes we hate, especially Princess Twilicorn!  Forget the whole "love and tolerance" bulls**t.  And, if we protest hard enough, we might get normal unicorn Twilight back!

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

I don't think you actually understood the point that I was trying to make:

They left Magical Mystery Cure with a cliffhanger intentionally, we're not supposed to have assurance. They WANT us to wonder what will happen to Twilight, and how things will change. Why? Because it's keeps interest in the show up without having to produce as much content.

You also have to remember that the target audience (little girls) have no problems with Twilicorn. As far as that's concerned, the only people with fears are the brony fandom, and those are fears they've created themselves. So, the writers and VA's have probably been told by Hasbro to quell some of those "fears" by being extremely ambigious in an attempt to exstinguish the speculation fires we've started with more, different speculation.

If the creators of the show "consider" it to be a three-parter, than that guarantees that the Season 4 opener will have some closure. People like yourself just need to find some patience and take a chill pill.

TL;DR:

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE FINALE. YOU'RE OVERREACTING.

Edited by Twinhead B

@,

@@TheLegitDerpyHooves,

So far all that's happened is that she is going to be a Princess, People seem to think they just slapped some wings on and gave her a fancy tittle, that doesn't change anything, does it? Of course not, who else can we trust besides her voice actress, she's like the only person we can trust, after all she is the queen of the Bronies. It's like your dad told you to jump of a cliff and you'd survive. It's your dad right, you trust him, right? Right?

Not only is she an Alicorn, which doesn't change anything at all, but she's still living in ponyville, that means she's still a typical ordinary pony with a completely super normal life.

Sarcasm OFF

There's a new rumor of how she'll replace Celestia, and since it was Faust's original vision of the series, not Alicorn Twilight, just her replacing Celestia, it might be true. So even if she's not a goddess, she's incredibly powerful, so she might as well be.

I don't think you actually understood the point that I was trying to make:

They left Magical Mystery Cure with a cliffhanger intentionally, we're not supposed to have assurance. They WANT us to wonder what will happen to Twilight, and how things will change. Why? Because it's keeps interest in the show up without having to produce as much content.

You also have to remember that the target audience (little girls) have no problems with Twilicorn. As far as that's concerned, the only people with fears are the brony fandom, and those are fears they've created themselves. So, the writers and VA's have probably been told by Hasbro to quell some of those "fears" by being extremely ambigious in an attempt to exstinguish the speculation fires we've started with more, different speculation.

If the creators of the show "consider" it to be a three-parter, than that guarantees that the Season 4 opener will have some closure. People like yourself just need to find some patience and take a chill pill.

TL;DR:

EVERYTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE FINALE

Seriously.

Watch over it. None of the characters had lines besides Twilight, it was about Friendship, but the episode itself didn't show anything about it besides a shitty remake of Season 2 Episode 2. 

I learned

AJ works in a farm,

Fluttershy is good with animals

Pinkie makes ponies smile,

Dash controls the weather

and Rarity makes dresses.

with the power of all those things, Twilight becomes an Alicorn, thrilling isn't it?

Edited by Francis Sparkle
  • Brohoof 1

So what you're trying to say is that the show became problematic when it was twitter posts answering our questions, not the show itself.

But, by saying that the S3 finale and the S4 premiere are not parts of an entire story-arc, you're also implying that Princess Twilicorn will be here to stay...

Really, I just don't get you.  You're Anti-Twilicorn, that I can understand.  But why do you have to ruin everything for people like me every time you point out evidence to something that isn't even confirmed yet?  And, if you hate Princess Twilicorn so much, why don't you do what the Mass Effect 3 fans did with the game's awful ending, and form a Facebook protest movement telling the writers to change Twilight back into a unicorn?  After all, all fanbases protest against changes to their favorite franchises all the time, most especially if those changes are for the worse.  As a fanbase ourselves, we bronies should also have a right to protest against changes we hate, especially Princess Twilicorn!  Forget the whole "love and tolerance" bulls**t.  And, if we protest hard enough, we might get normal unicorn Twilight back!

Yes, I think that having to rely on twitter etc is a bit much. If the season finale was awesome and quelled our worries then we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. We'd be too busy getting hyped for season 4 to squabble over these things.

I think the season 4 premiere will indeed carry on, (there was a quote saying that it has Twilight dealing with princess-hood) but I don't think saying "It's a 3 parter!" makes anything better, since it's basically saying, "Oh, left you off at an awkward point with that sub-par finale? Don't worry... all will be explained... in seven months! MWAHAHAHAHA!" If those other two episodes were part of season 3, people wouldn't be as worried. 'Trust the writers' lost its meaning for me after trusting them with the finale...

Oh, and while I am anti-Twilicorn, I simply don't believe that they'll change her back into a unicorn. There's far too much that points to it being permanent. Oh, and I think I said before, I hate facebook far more than I hate Twilicorn. I've literally not even touched the site in two years and unless I'm dying and need to write to people one final time, I don't think I've ever go on it again.

Also, I don't think the protests will have any effect whatsoever. Most of the fandom either aren't too bothered about the change or are just waiting for season 4 to make their judgement. The Mass Effect 3 thing worked because EVERYONE hated it, and it went against things that they consistently said wouldn't happen. We can't really say that about Twilicorn.

If there's nothing wrong with it, why do people keep saying it was rushed? If the finale was awesome, everyone would be hyped. As it stands, we have a portion of people who are hyped, a portion of people who are worried and a majority of people who are saying "Well, we'll just have to wait for season 4 to see how it goes."

If that's the feeling that's left after a finale, then it just wasn't good enough IMO. The season 2 finale had me cheering and counting down the days until season 3 with bated breath, and it was like that for almost the entire fandom. That's the sign of a good finale, and we didn't get it this time around. So... yeah. Of course I'm disappointed.

• Brohoof 1

If there's nothing wrong with it, why do people keep saying it was rushed? If the finale was awesome, everyone would be hyped. As it stands, we have a portion of people who are hyped, a portion of people who are worried and a majority of people who are saying "Well, we'll just have to wait for season 4 to see how it goes."

If that's the feeling that's left after a finale, then it just wasn't good enough IMO. The season 2 finale had me cheering and counting down the days until season 3 with bated breath, and it was like that for almost the entire fandom. That's the sign of a good finale, and we didn't get it this time around. So... yeah. Of course I'm disappointed.

Your logic is baffling. There are always going to be people who don't like something. For the most part, everyone loved Wonderbolt Academy, but I downright hate it. You will never find an episode of Friendship is Magic that EVERYONE loves.

The anti-twilicorn/anti-finale bronies are a small minority, blinded by the notion that they believe they are speaking for everyone.

@Francis Sparkle

Really? The moral I got from Magical Mystery Cure (at least until Twilight got zapped into a Princess) was "You're in charge of your own destiny, and nothing can tell you otherwise".

Of course, that moral was completely destroyed by Twilight being wisked away and turned into a princess, but I like to think that part of the episode was the crew trying to find a way to fit Princess Twilight into the show. Otherwise, the episode was great.

Yeah, I think it'll all be cool. For me, season 3 was a little over hyped. I know I was expecting more from it, but it wasn't bad and Twilight becoming an Alicorn really wasn't all that big of a deal for me. I was actually kind of happy for her. 

@Ficta_Scriptor

I don't have to believe the evidence you've found that proves Princess Twilicorn is permanent, if I don't want to, right?  Because every time I hear you say that, it's like I'm not allowed to believe whatever I want, that I have to believe someone else just because they could be "right" or "wrong".

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Your logic is baffling. There are always going to be people who don't like something. For the most part, everyone loved Wonderbolt Academy, but I downright hate it. You will never find an episode of Friendship is Magic that EVERYONE loves.

The anti-twilicorn/anti-finale bronies are a small minority, blinded by the notion that they believe they are speaking for everyone.

How is my logic baffling? If the season 3 finale was as well loved by the majority as the season 2 finale was, this whole Twilicorn drama would barely even exist. There has never been a fandom freakout like this before and the previous season finales garnered far more praise overall from the majority of the fanbase. The writers never needed to quell fears after the other finales. (except maybe to confirm the next season)

Also, I don't doubt that anti-twilicorns are a minority. Most people aren't too bothered, just like I said in my post.

And since when the f*** did I become the bad guy here? At no point have I said 'twilicorn has ruined the show' or 'season 4 will suck', because I don't believe either of those things! If they pull it off well, season 4 could be awesome!

@Ficta_Scriptor

I don't have to believe the evidence you've found that proves Princess Twilicorn is permanent, if I don't want to, right?  Because every time I hear you say that, it's like I'm not allowed to believe whatever I want, that I have to believe someone else just because they could be "right" or "wrong".

Actually, I just think you're better off not thinking it's gonna be temporary, otherwise you'll be lining yourself up for disappointment if it turns to be permanent. At least if you go on believing that it'll be permanent and then it turns out to be temporary, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Also, I think a lot of the 'temporary' theories have lost their meaning since a lot of people were banking on it being temporary in the finale itself.

How is my logic baffling? If the season 3 finale was as well loved by the majority as the season 2 finale was, this whole Twilicorn drama would barely even exist. There has never been a fandom freakout like this before and the previous season finales garnered far more praise overall from the majority of the fanbase. The writers never needed to quell fears after the other finales. (except maybe to confirm the next season)

Also, I don't doubt that anti-twilicorns are a minority. Most people aren't too bothered, just like I said in my post.

And since when the f*** did I become the bad guy here? At no point have I said 'twilicorn has ruined the show' or 'season 4 will suck', because I don't believe either of those things! If they pull it off well, season 4 could be awesome!

I never said you were the bad guy. wink.png

But there are quite a few extreme anti-twilicorns out there who have been doing nothing but ripping on the finale and the writers and condemning everything that doesn't fall 100% in line with their head-canon.

But to say that the Season 3 finale is a terrible episode is silly, as the haters are always going to be more vocal than those who liked it.

I'm not 100% for Twilicorn myself (don't see the point of it, truthfully), but if Meghan and her team are saying there is more to the story, I'm not judging anything until I see the whole thing. I have faith in the crew, and I'm simply saying everyone else should follow suit.

No sense in protesting against the unknown. mellow.png

I never said you were the bad guy. wink.png

But there are quite a few extreme anti-twilicorns out there who have been doing nothing but ripping on the finale and the writers and condemning everything that doesn't fall 100% in line with their head-canon.

But to say that the Season 3 finale is a terrible episode is silly, as the haters are always going to be more vocal than those who liked it.

I'm not 100% for Twilicorn myself (don't see the point of it, truthfully), but if Meghan and her team are saying there is more to the story, I'm not judging anything until I see the whole thing. I have faith in the crew, and I'm simply saying everyone else should follow suit.

No sense in protesting against the unknown. mellow.png

Maybe it's just the people that I've spoken to online. I hear a lot of complaints about the finale, even from Pro-Twilicorn supporters, but I barely heard a bad word when the season 2 finale came out. Basically, I think that since it's the most important event in the show so far, a lot of people (myself included) were expecting more. I honestly think that if they'd handled it better, I could've been converted to Pro-Twilicorn.

And it's true we shouldn't protest against the unknown, but it's a little annoying that we probably wouldn't even have this drama if those other two episodes were in season 3. It's difficult to have faith in the crew when the season 3 finale is my most recent memory of the show. dry.png

I think my biggest worry is that, hardly any franchise that has a knee-jerk reaction to something comes out the other side unscathed. First impressions can make a big difference, and a lot of people had a bad first impression. The 6/7 month wait isn't helping, either.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, I just think you're better off not thinking it's gonna be temporary, otherwise you'll be lining yourself up for disappointment if it turns to be permanent. At least if you go on believing that it'll be permanent and then it turns out to be temporary, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Also, I think a lot of the 'temporary' theories have lost their meaning since a lot of people were banking on it being temporary in the finale itself.

Or, I could just stop obsessing over this, and believe it's neither temporary or permanent, at least until the S4 premiere happens.
  • Brohoof 3

Maybe it's just the people that I've spoken to online. I hear a lot of complaints about the finale, even from Pro-Twilicorn supporters, but I barely heard a bad word when the season 2 finale came out. Basically, I think that since it's the most important event in the show so far, a lot of people (myself included) were expecting more. I honestly think that if they'd handled it better, I could've been converted to Pro-Twilicorn.

And it's true we shouldn't protest against the unknown, but it's a little annoying that we probably wouldn't even have this drama if those other two episodes were in season 3. It's difficult to have faith in the crew when the season 3 finale is my most recent memory of the show. dry.png

You really can't compare the Season 2 finale to the Season 3 finale.

All of the whining for A Canterlot Wedding was done before the episodes aired, and so most went into it with a "This is the beginning of the end" mentality. However, Cadance turned out to be a geat addition to the show! She had a good amount of time dedicated to developing her, and by the time we got to see the real Cadance, we could sympathize with her. The episode also ended with closure, so we didn't feel like we were left out in the rain.

Magical Myserty Cure, however, did not introduce an actual conflict. Twilight botched a spell, and then Twilight fixed a spell. We're left with little in the way of narration (most due to the musical format), and her ascension came entirely out of left field, and had little explanation or development.

Judging M.M.C. would be like judging Cadance's character based on what we knew about her up until she is revealed to be Shining Armor's bride (The sunshine-sunshine scene), and nothing else. If that was our only depiction of Cadance for 6-7 months between seasons, we'd no doubt dislike her simply because we don't know anything about her.

While I can agree that the story would make more sense if it was told altogether, I stand by my statement that Hasbro has accomplished exactly what they wanted with the finale: to generate buzz and discussion about MLP during the time in-between Season 3 and Season 4/Equestria Girls.

I think my biggest worry is that, hardly any franchise that has a knee-jerk reaction to something comes out the other side unscathed. First impressions can make a big difference, and a lot of people had a bad first impression. The 6/7 month wait isn't helping, either.

I can think of one franchise that went through that exact process before and shortly after it was rebooted recently. It's a little show that I feel you may have heard of, called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Our entire fandom (1,000,000+ strong if I had to guess) was born despite a knee-jerk opposition to a franchise with a notoriously lack-luster reputation.

We survived Derpygate, we'll survive this.

I can think of one franchise that went through that exact process before and shortly after it was rebooted recently. It's a little show that I feel you may have heard of, called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Our entire fandom (1,000,000+ strong if I had to guess) was born despite a knee-jerk opposition to a franchise with a notoriously lack-luster reputation.

We survived Derpygate, we'll survive this.

It's weird that people talk about hating Cadence and Derpygate since I was barely even aware of this stuff at the time. I legitimately didn't know people were up in arms about Cadence. I was just excited for the wedding! As for Derpygate, I didn't care at all. Even if she was in no more episodes I wouldn't bat an eyelid. And weirdly enough, I never had a knee-jerk reaction when I heard of the show. I saw an advert on TV and was like, "That actually looks pretty good! The blue one looks cool!"

Hmm... I guess it's difficult for me to consider previous 'knee-jerk' of the show since I've never experienced it myself. Even Discord's reformation i was excited for.

I'm not actually stressing over MLP as much as it might seem, (really, I pretty much calmed down over it. I was mainly annoyed because I felt like I was getting called out by people) but I do feel that the Twilicorn thing could have been done much better. At the moment, the writers are taking a risk, and that can either be good or bad. It's just not as comforting as how I felt after season 2 which was pretty much, "That was the best episode ever! I WANT SEASON 3!"

At the moment, fanfiction is keeping me afloat, so it's all good.

And, if you hate Princess Twilicorn so much, why don't you do what the Mass Effect 3 fans did with the game's awful ending, and form a Facebook protest movement telling the writers to change Twilight back into a unicorn? After all, all fanbases protest against changes to their favorite franchises all the time, most especially if those changes are for the worse. As a fanbase ourselves, we bronies should also have a right to protest against changes we hate, especially Princess Twilicorn! Forget the whole "love and tolerance" bulls**t. And, if we protest hard enough, we might get normal unicorn Twilight back!

That might be a good move IF we were the primary audience for this show.  But people seem to forget that we're not.  Hasbro and DHX would be far more likely to take such a movement seriously if it were to be brought about by the concerned parents of the children for whom this show IS the target audience.

So, by extension, if I say the Season 3 finale was a terrible episode, I'm automatically a hater?

I seem to be in the minority of people who think Twilight's ascension in general is a good thing and opens a lot of doors, but that it was poorly handled in the season finale.  I totally understand people's concerns about what this will do to Twilight and the Mane 6, and taken at face value, I'd agree that we have a right to be concerned about it.  But time and time again I keep seeing people jumping to all sorts of conclusions about what the future will bring in the absence of any hard evidence of what the writers have planned.

In my opinion, the haters are the ones who, in this case, are too stubborn to even consider the possibilities of what Twilight's ascension could mean - they just want Twilight to remain a "regular old unicorn" for the rest of her life, and thus anything that stands against that notion is automatically bad.  But I don't believe that someone is a hater because they thought the studio could have done a better job with the finale.

My opinion?  Magical Mystery Cure is so far very close to my least favorite episode of the entire series.  But the overarching storyline involving Twilight's ascension also has potential to be one of the best things to happen to this series since it began.

That might be a good move IF we were the primary audience for this show. But people seem to forget that we're not. Hasbro and DHX would be far more likely to take such a movement seriously if it were to be brought about by the concerned parents of the children for whom this show IS the target audience.

Sorry I DO NOT BUY THIS for a second and I'm getting tired of hearing this statement on loop from fellow bronies. To say that a parent has more of a right to complain vs the people who CREATED and OCCUPY this brony fanbase with its art, music, fanfiction, and who spend LOADS of money on all these brony collectibles is ridiculous. I'm tired of seeing other bronies repeat this same fact like we should be embarassed that we're watching a children's show. The creators of this show attend bronycons all the time and its not little children and their parents attending these things, it's teens and adults who occupy the brony movement. They see us, we see them. They are well aware of who we are and how much this show means to us. We are not an undesired side effect of the show, we ARE their fanbase.

Sorry I DO NOT BUY THIS for a second and I'm getting tired of hearing this statement on loop from fellow bronies. To say that a parent has more of a right to complain vs the people who CREATED and OCCUPY this brony fanbase with its art, music, fanfiction, and who spend LOADS of money on all these brony collectibles is ridiculous. I'm tired of seeing other bronies repeat this same fact like we should be embarassed that we're watching a children's show. The creators of this show attend bronycons all the time and its not little children and their parents attending these things, it's teens and adults who occupy the brony movement. They see us, we see them. They are well aware of who we are and how much this show means to us. We are not an undesired side effect of the show, we ARE their fanbase.

I'm not saying we don't have a right to voice our opinions - of course we do. But I DO believe that parents have more sway with Hasbro, because they are the ones who are more likely to buy the merchandise (statistically speaking). They are also the ones whose children are more easily influenced by the things they watch, and thus they naturally have more of a voice - if they, en masse, believe that the show is moving in the wrong direction and that, say, Twilight's ascension is going to teach their kids the wrong morals, Hasbro is FAR more likely to listen to them and order changes in the show. As opposed to complaints from a group of grown men and women who are watching the show for their own sake and simply don't like what they see. Consider the possibility that even if all the bronies thought Alicorn Twilight was a bad idea, if all the kids and parents loved her, it wouldn't be fair to them to take that away from them just because WE didn't like it.

I'm also not saying that the brony fandom doesn't have ANY say, and I know that show staff are actively attending conventions that are dedicated to brony fandom. Heck, some of the show's staff helped make a documentary exclusively about bronies. So I know they know about us and care about us. But even so, when it comes right down to it, their primary responsibility is to entertain little children, not adult fans. We should consider it a nicety that they acknowledge us within the show to the extent that they do.

Edited by Harvan

It doesn't change anything? And she'll stay regular old Twilight?

That's even more dumb, they just made her a godly Mary Sue for no reason other than that she can just "Do more stuff."

And this still does change the show drastically, since there is only one unicorn in the mane six now, it would seem they're bringing in a new one now. And if they didn't it would just throw everything off balance.

It doesn't change anything? And she'll stay regular old Twilight?

That's even more dumb, they just made her a godly Mary Sue for no reason other than that she can just "Do more stuff."

And this still does change the show drastically, since there is only one unicorn in the mane six now, it would seem they're bringing in a new one now. And if they didn't it would just throw everything off balance.

I hate to say it, but this kind of post just proves my point about people jumping to conclusions.  We don't have any evidence of what impacts this will have on Twilight or the Mane 6, we have no evidence (only rumors) that there'll be a new character to replace Twilight, and we have nothing other than a few tweets from various cast and crew members about the nature of the show going forward.  No official announcements.

Sorry to pick on you, Hypno, but your post follows a general pattern I've been railing against pretty much since this whole discussion started.

I'm not saying we don't have a right to voice our opinions - of course we do. But I DO believe that parents have more sway with Hasbro, because they are the ones who are more likely to buy the merchandise (statistically speaking). They are also the ones whose children are more easily influenced by the things they watch, and thus they naturally have more of a voice - if they, en masse, believe that the show is moving in the wrong direction and that, say, Twilight's ascension is going to teach their kids the wrong morals, Hasbro is FAR more likely to listen to them and order changes in the show. As opposed to complaints from a group of grown men and women who are watching the show for their own sake and simply don't like what they see. Consider the possibility that even if all the bronies thought Alicorn Twilight was a bad idea, if all the kids and parents loved her, it wouldn't be fair to them to take that away from them just because WE didn't like it.

I'm also not saying that the brony fandom doesn't have ANY say, and I know that show staff are actively attending conventions that are dedicated to brony fandom. Heck, some of the show's staff helped make a documentary exclusively about bronies. So I know they know about us and care about us. But even so, when it comes right down to it, their primary responsibility is to entertain little children, not adult fans. We should consider it a nicety that they acknowledge us within the show to the extent that they do.

I agree completely that Hasbro is going to continue to make a show that works for their "target audience" AND us. They could try making the plots and jokes more mature over time and see what happens but that likely will not happen and doesn't need to. As long as they can continue to make them well-made, interesting plots and charcters, and satisfy both audiences they should do well, i just don't want to see them cater only to ONE audience. But they do need to see if they're losing our loyalty tho. It is WAY too early to freak out about Twilight tho.

I seem to be in the minority of people who think Twilight's ascension in general is a good thing and opens a lot of doors, but that it was poorly handled in the season finale.  I totally understand people's concerns about what this will do to Twilight and the Mane 6, and taken at face value, I'd agree that we have a right to be concerned about it.  But time and time again I keep seeing people jumping to all sorts of conclusions about what the future will bring in the absence of any hard evidence of what the writers have planned.

In my opinion, the haters are the ones who, in this case, are too stubborn to even consider the possibilities of what Twilight's ascension could mean - they just want Twilight to remain a "regular old unicorn" for the rest of her life, and thus anything that stands against that notion is automatically bad.  But I don't believe that someone is a hater because they thought the studio could have done a better job with the finale.

My opinion?  Magical Mystery Cure is so far very close to my least favorite episode of the entire series.  But the overarching storyline involving Twilight's ascension also has potential to be one of the best things to happen to this series since it began.

Yes, I think that since the coronation was the biggest event in the show's history, (and perhaps the biggest event that will ever happen in the show's lifetime) the finale did leave a lot to be desired IMO. Hell, even Darth Maul had more screen time than Twilicorn!

I think a personal gripe of mine is that it just feels too early in the show to make this change. If Twilight had helped all her friends achieve their destinies in some way or another, (say, she helped RD with a wonderbolt exam or the CMC get their cutie marks, helped Rarity with budgeting for her new range that makes her famous etc) and then became a Princess by the idea that she had helped out all these ponies, I would have to say, "Well, she definitely deserves it. There's no denying that."

I'm just left wondering where Twilight can go from here without episodes delving too much into royal life. I kind of feel like her ascension would have been better suited towards the end of the series with a massive build-up. Assuming the show runs for several more seasons, I'm left wondering where they can go from here, since the title of 'princess' is the highest rank in existence. It kind of makes it seem pointless for Twilight to even bother with anything anymore since she's hit the upper limit. Alas, that's just me.

I think a worry that a lot of people have is as follows:

- If the show doesn't change, Twilight's new wings and title will feel utterly pointless.

- If the show changes too much, the writers risk messing with the formula and losing fans.

Hopefully, the writers can strike a good balance and satisfy everyone to some degree.

• Brohoof 2

I hate to say it, but this kind of post just proves my point about people jumping to conclusions.  We don't have any evidence of what impacts this will have on Twilight or the Mane 6, we have no evidence (only rumors) that there'll be a new character to replace Twilight, and we have nothing other than a few tweets from various cast and crew members about the nature of the show going forward.  No official announcements.

Sorry to pick on you, Hypno, but your post follows a general pattern I've been railing against pretty much since this whole discussion started.

tumblr_lqh59dY2qn1qelmnbo1_500.gif

I never said anything about the impacts on Twilight. If there were no impacts, and she would just go from powerful unicorn to god with no real problem with it and continued her life without a care it would look stupid and rushed out. They made her a princess, and then are now saying she is just going to be regular Twilight doesn't make sense. I'm also saying that if they don't bring in a character to replace her spot as the first unicorn it would just look weird. I'd honestly have them go full out with the princess deal, now that they introduced it.

Look at Twilight's original character design, and compare it to Celestia's. They both fitted their original roles of Unicorn Book Worm, and Royalty. But now they simply took Twilight and made her Royalty for no reason. It raises a lot of questions that don't really even have strong motives to them besides the fact of catering to little girls more with a Princess title for the main character.

What you're saying is that practically everyone who posts here is jumping to conclusion due to the fact there is evidence. And only the people that say "I like this" or don't really care, are being correct to you. This is somewhat true, except for the last part. But then again, opinion is still a word.

Jumping to conclusion would be "This show sucks now, Twilight flew without training at the end, I'm leaving #swag"

What you're saying is that practically everyone who posts here is jumping to conclusion due to the fact there is evidence. And only the people that say "I like this" or don't really care, are being correct to you. This is somewhat true, except for the last part. But then again, opinion is still a word.

Why is it that every time I try to encourage people to be open-minded, it turns into "My way or the highway"?  That is NOT what I've been saying!

I call it as I see it. IMO, all of the following statements are "jumping to conclusions", in my opinion:

- "Now that Twilight is a princess, she has nothing more to learn.  The show has jumped the shark and might as well end now."

- "Twilight should never have become a princess.  Change her back to a unicorn NOW or I will hate this show forever."

- "Twilight as an Alicorn is automatically awesome and it should never have been any other way."

These are the most extreme positions I've seen in this debate, on opposite ends of the scale.  And in my opinion, they're all flawed for the same reason: We've only seen that she's ascended, but we know nothing about what the writers have planned.  I say it's jumping to conclusions to assume what's going to happen in the show when we don't have any evidence to go on.  And I see a lot of it, mostly from the "anti-Twilicorn" camp.

What I've been trying to say this whole time is that I think people should slow down, think through it, and decide once Season 4 has been given a chance to actually air.  Of course, people are naturally going to decide to stop watching the show because they don't like where it's going, and they have every right to do so.  But if they're going to post here about it and I feel that there's a fundamental flaw in their thinking (eg. being really closed-minded about it), I feel I have just as much right to debate it with them in the hopes of convincing them there are other ways to approach it.

It's not "my way or the highway".  It's a natural part of debate.  At the risk of sounding like a jerk about it, if you don't want to have your opinions challenged, you shouldn't post them on an Internet forum.

@Hypno: It occurs to me I didn't directly address one thing in your reply: In saying your post was an example of "jumping to conclusions", I was referring specifically to this part of it:

It doesn't change anything? And she'll stay regular old Twilight? That's even more dumb, they just made her a godly Mary Sue for no reason other than that she can just "Do more stuff."

I've personally hated the whole "Mary Sue" thing ever since I first saw it being bandied about here.  Twilight has a LONG way to go before she becomes a Mary Sue - people seem to be assuming left and right that she's inevitably going to become one, on the grounds that she's overpowered, everyone loves her anyway, and nobody will question anything that happens to her.  I don't think we've seen anything in the show (other than a terribly rushed season finale) to suggest that all the rest of Equestria will blindly accept Twilight's ascension without question, so your invoking "Mary Sue" here struck me as another instance of that assumption.

What I've been trying to say this whole time is that I think people should slow down, think through it, and decide once Season 4 has been given a chance to actually air.  Of course, people are naturally going to decide to stop watching the show because they don't like where it's going, and they have every right to do so.  But if they're going to post here about it and I feel that there's a fundamental flaw in their thinking (eg. being really closed-minded about it), I feel I have just as much right to debate it with them in the hopes of convincing them there are other ways to approach it.

It's not "my way or the highway".  It's a natural part of debate.  At the risk of sounding like a jerk about it, if you don't want to have your opinions challenged, you shouldn't post them on an Internet forum.

@Hypno: It occurs to me I didn't directly address one thing in your reply: In saying your post was an example of "jumping to conclusions", I was referring specifically to this part of it:

I've personally hated the whole "Mary Sue" thing ever since I first saw it being bandied about here.  Twilight has a LONG way to go before she becomes a Mary Sue - people seem to be assuming left and right that she's inevitably going to become one, on the grounds that she's overpowered, everyone loves her anyway, and nobody will question anything that happens to her.  I don't think we've seen anything in the show (other than a terribly rushed season finale) to suggest that all the rest of Equestria will blindly accept Twilight's ascension without question, so your invoking "Mary Sue" here struck me as another instance of that assumption.

No majority of the fandom is going to stop watching the show over Twilight's so called "Ascension". Only a minority will stop doing so over this. Inferring that everyone is going to get major jimmy rustled and leave is just being ignorant. I never said I'm leaving the show itself, nor do I have any plans to do so. I'm just stating that I think that their are flaws in Twilight's change, and I don't like it myself.

Saying that everything will stay as It was even though the rough changes that season three has brought us is a assumption in itself that you fail to notice.

You did see the part where she flew at the end of the episode with no flight training right? There was no logic to that. In the season finale she also seemed to cast a spell that changed the very destinies of her friends and then afterward went into magical video dream land and grew wings and became a princess.
You don't see a big power difference as compared to somewhat like Rarity? Do you?
Edited by Hypno