Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

I think it's permanent. I mean, why would Celestia only make her an Alicorn temporarily? We'll have to wait and see in Season 4. But for me, it only makes sense that she'd be an Alicorn permanently.

I hope it's permanent and Hasbro just waits for us to calm the fuck down and just accept it.

Jeeves, you guys really are overreacting. You seriously need to understand that we are not, an probably never will be, the targeted audience for FiM. And I think that Twilight could solve problems for the citizens of Ponyville, opening the possibility of background pony themed episodes.

And perhaps even open more possibilities for nods at the fandom! Just think about the good, not the bad, that this may bring!

And Cutey, I honestly love you right now for tve things you're saying.

Edited by The Dovahkiin
  • Brohoof 3

I don't know why people are getting so upset over Twilight having wings. There are so may wishful thinking threads popping up with people tossing out all kinds of scenarios where they'll be taken right back after one episode. WHY? It's supposed to be her true destiny. Why would they set that up and then say, "Oops, sorry, rip them suckers off!" 

Was her destiny ever actually specified? I can't seem to remember. We've always heard about her 'fulfilling her destiny', but we don't know what her destiny is.

It's like the Higgs-Boson. We know it exists, we just don't know much about it.

I think it's permanent. I mean, why would Celestia only make her an Alicorn temporarily? We'll have to wait and see in Season 4. But for me, it only makes sense that she'd be an Alicorn permanently.

Many people are saying that her wings, if they are taken away, will be taken away to serve a greater good, you know?

Like, Celestia, Twilight and everypony else thinks it's permanent, but then something happens and they get taken away? That's the general consensus that I can see.

I couldn't really say for now; we'll have to wait until season 4 to find out. However, I will post some reasons why it will/won't be a permanent transformation.

Why will it be temporary? The fact that there are 2 more episodes in this arc seems to mean that it's unfinished as it is, and there's a very great possibility that Twilight will lose her wings by the end of it. The transformation also seemed very quick (the whole episode was), and wasn't that in-depth. Although the transformation scene was cool, there wasn't too much explanation, and this could be for a reason -- that it's temporary.

Why will it be permanent? You don't make just any pony an alicorn. As stated -- or sung -- in Celestia's Ballad, all of Twilight's adventures have been in preparation of this event. Celestia has been testing her to find out whether or not she is "ready" for this transformation. Twilight was obviously willing to accept this turn of events as, if she wasn't, she would have said so, and would not have announced her newfound wings and stature to the world.

That'd be cool. 

Twilight's abilities were prepared, but her mind was never all there in Canterlot. I.E. she misses her friends. Maybe her abilities degrade the longer she's away from her friends?

• Brohoof 1

I'm 50/50 on it at the moment regardless of how I personally feel about Alicorn Twilight. On one hand, I can't really see a lot of the slice-of-lifish episodes working even close to the same way now that one of the main characters has royal authority and is seemingly more "the main character" than ever before, but on the other hand I do acknowledge that after all the build up and ceremony it would feel pretty weird to change her back. However, I have thought of a few ways that it could go over and I think it could be a remarkably powerful set of episodes, and as Season 4's premiere is related to the finale I think that there is a decent chance that Twilight could return to Unicornhood. While I believe that it might seem forced or strange to some people, I think that the writers are talented enough to pull that off and I believe in them :)

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

It doesn't really make sense to me personally for Twilight to change back. Her transformation/coronation is a huge thing, and it gives the writers lots of material for writing new episodes. My feeling is if she changed back, sacrificing her wings or her title or what have you, the show would be right back where it was and soon it would get stuck. There's only so much that can happen to the Mane 6 in Ponyville. Better to give the writers something new to keep the show fresh than to have it grow stale working with the same old storyline.

I think so long as the writers don't let Twilicorn overwhelm the series, we'll have more great episodes, same as always. And that'll be a heck of a lot easier with a whole new side of Twilight's character to explore.

• Brohoof 1

you better believe that our twilie's gonna be stayin an alicorn. but, really what's the big deal? it's almost like we have a suicide cult in development. what? does this mean that she's gonna leave all her friends behind in ponyville and just go be a princess. prolly not! but, we're not gonna know till season 4. so, quit gettin your panties all up in a bunch and chillax till then. k?

Edited by zombronie
  • Brohoof 1

Makes me wonder what exactly Lauren Faust had planned for her in the first place. Which was fueled by her recent tweet "I had plans for Twilight but what I wanted is irrelevant now & I don't want to undermine what the writers are doing currently". Part of me wishes to know, the other rather doesn't because i actually might like that version more than the current one and feel saddened by it, you know, what could've been still lingers. Where would she be now? ...

Look away if you dont want to know Laurens' version of the story.

The bonus material had recently been released from the brony documentary shortly after i made that comment. From the final minute i can gather that Twilight was originally to be Celestia's successor. To be the sole ruler probably, it still would've meant her to be a princess after all. But probably even more like her mentor than now... Very interesting.

I agree there isn't much a point of giving Twilight wings if they want to take them away from her at the start of S4.

You want to talk about the merch: One way or another, they brought forward the idea of Twilicorn and as far as I'm concerned, fans and little girls alike will kill for Alicorn Twilight toys. It's just a matter of time before they make them.

And I don't get why everybody says that if she's a princess she has to say at Canterlot Castle. NO! She doesn't even need to be in a castle. She might as well reign over PonyVille and the EverFree forest and retain her princess duties.

As for Rainbow Dash and Rarity, Rainbow Dash has begun (and in my understanding, completed) training to become a Wonderbolt. She just lacks the title. But I think it's about the same thing as Twilight: She will become a Wonderbolt and come back to PonyVille.

And about Rarity, we saw how hard she struggled in Canterlot with her fashion. Even if she does leave for Canterlot some day, she will come back to Ponyville because that's where she and the remainder of Mane 6 are happy.

So I am pretty happy about Alicorn Twilight, she is fabulous, and I hope to see how her new royalty status changes life in Ponyville.

• Brohoof 2

It doesn't really matter if its temporary or permanent.  What won't happen is Twilight losing her wings from the get go of season 4. They go through all that in magical mystery cure to give her wings, you have to expect them to stay for a little while.

It doesn't really matter if its temporary or permanent.  What won't happen is Twilight losing her wings from the get go of season 4. They go through all that in magical mystery cure to give her wings, you have to expect them to stay for a little while.

But when you think about it, Magical Mystery Cure was part one of a three-part story-arc.  By the time the story-arc ends, the show will go back to focusing more on the other five main ponies (and the occasional Spike and CMC) than they do on Twilight.  And when that happens, the AliTwi hype-machine will eventually die down.  That means they might as well find a legitimate reason to get rid of Twilight's wings and princesshood, whether by resignation to be with her friends again, or self-sacrifice to save Equestria from some new evil threat.  After all, when Rarity had wings herself, that was also designed to sell a line of MLP toys, but at the same time it was also temporary.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

But when you think about it, Magical Mystery Cure was part one of a three-part story-arc.  By the time the story-arc ends, the show will go back to focusing more on the other five main ponies (and the occasional Spike and CMC) than they do on Twilight.  And when that happens, the AliTwi hype-machine will eventually die down.  That means they might as well find a legitimate reason to get rid of Twilight's wings and princesshood, whether by resignation to be with her friends again, or self-sacrifice to save Equestria from some new evil threat.  After all, when Rarity had wings herself, that was also designed to sell a line of MLP toys, but at the same time it was also temporary.

Three parts in the opinion of Meghan McCarthy, the show’s writer.  Magical Mystery Cure is officially a stand alone show, but it will be referenced further down the line in the following season, and other episodes could even tie into it.  And have you ever considered the possibility that the ultimate result might be twilight becoming QUEEN? Unlikely, cause like any theory of yours I’ve seen, if it would happen it would ruin the show.

The focus isn’t going to shift away from the other main 5 or the cutie mark crusaders.  Twilight isn’t going to leave Ponyville.  Tara Song, the woman who gives twilight a voice, herself said that Twilight is staying right where she is in this interview.

http://www.themarysue.com/tara-strong-interview/

Strong:Well the good news is, Twilight is going to stay Twilight. She is overwhelmed and

surprised and grateful for this new phase in her life but it’s not going to

change how she is or how she interacts with her friends, she’s staying in

Ponyville. I’m certainly not changing any of my performance and it’s really the

same Twilight except she can do more stuff now. She can fly…it’s not going to

change the overall feel of the show, she’s going to be with the Mane 6. It’s

just Twilight but a little bit better, she can do more stuff! But overall, it’s

not really going to change that much. I think that’s what everybody’s afraid

of, that it’s going to change sort of that core element that everyone fell in

love with these six characters and that’s not going to change at all. I’m not

changing a thing about my performance.

Ponyshep, you need to face the facts.  They aren’t making these episodes to make bronies happy, least of all you.  All you are doing is making yourself angry

Edited by Rainbow RapiDASH
  • Brohoof 1

Three parts in the opinion of Meghan McCarthy, the show’s

writer. Magical Mystery Cure is

officially a stand alone show, but it will be referenced further down the line

in the following season, and other episodes could even tie into it. And have you ever considered the possibility

that the ultimate result might be twilight becoming QUEEN? Unlikely, cause like

any theory of yours I’ve seen, if it would happen it would ruin the show.

The focus isn’t going to shift away from the other main 5 or

the cutie mark crusaders. Twilight isn’t

going to leave Ponyville. Tara Song, the

woman who gives twilight a voice, herself said that Twilight is staying right

where she is in this interview.

http://www.themarysue.com/tara-strong-interview/

Ponyshep, you need to face the facts. They aren’t making these episodes to make bronies happy, least of all you. All you are doing is making yourself angry

Again, Season Four is not out yet. You don't know yourself if this will be either temporary or pemanent. And besides, if they can pull-off changing Twilight back well, then it wouldn't be enough to damage the show. Edited by Commander_PonyShep

I'll just have to remind you that Rarity's wings were meant to be temporary from the get-go, or at least from what I remember she said the spell gave her wings for a limited period of time (just long enough to go to Dash's competition).

What Twilight has seems to be a more permanant status, since it comes with royalty and stuff. I personaly think it is possible for the show to continue in Ponyville and have Twilight keep her wings and her status. I think it would be a shame if the writers decided to drop them one way or another during the show.

But I'll just agree with Rapidash and let them have it anyway they want.

• Brohoof 1

ponyshep, i never said anything about the permanence of twilight's transformation. you've officially put words in my mouth. what im tired of is hearing you say that twilight will change, leave ponyville or lose her friends. you know that isn't going to happen. those who create the show said as such.

I don't know why people are getting so upset over Twilight having wings. There are so may wishful thinking threads popping up with people tossing out all kinds of scenarios where they'll be taken right back after one episode. WHY? It's supposed to be her true destiny. Why would they set that up and then say, "Oops, sorry, rip them suckers off!" 

Nooo, Twilight's destiny involves magic in general, if it was to be an Alicorn, we would've seen her as a blank flank up 'till the Season 3 finale.

I'm still trying to look for a good reason to enforce Twilight staying an Alicorn, but so far I'm heard nothing from anyone, I hear some people say its a good thing, but they never say why, they don't even give any hypothetical non-contrived senarios where it would be important for Twilight to keep her Alicorn status.

Even Twilight's voice actor, Tara Strong, only said that her being an Alicorn is a good thing 'because she can do more stuff' like what? you never brought up any new abilites except that Twilight can fly, and even that makes me say; "so what? Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy can already fly, so what's the point in throwing in an extra set of wings?"

that would be like if when writing the X-Men, Marvel Studios decided "Hey, Nightcrawler here has blue skin and teleportation powers, maybe we should also give Cyclops blue skin and teleportation as well as his optic laser blasts!"

Does that sound like good writing to anyone?

• Brohoof 2

IMHO it'll be permanent. Given that they have built up this transformation as a symbol of Twilight's growth towards her overall destiny, I can't see how they can go back without damaging her character. As far as storytelling goes it's far easier to basically hand wave the princess elements away as simply a ceremonial thing that has little impact on day to day life, while keeping the alicorn status and growth of new abilities, than actually have to plausibly regress Twilight back to her original state.

IMHO it'll be permanent. Given that they have built up this transformation as a symbol of Twilight's growth towards her overall destiny, I can't see how they can go back without damaging her character. As far as storytelling goes it's far easier to basically hand wave the princess elements away as simply a ceremonial thing that has little impact on day to day life, while keeping the alicorn status and growth of new abilities, than actually have to plausibly regress Twilight back to her original state.

If they were to find a way to have her revert back to her old, unicorn self, they could do this one of two ways:

1. Twilight resigns from princesshood after realizing that titles and power means nothing compared to being with your friends. She also learns that the beauty of learning is that it has no end, and that by creating an end to the learning, like with granting her the title of princess, they would also keep her away from learning even more lessons.

2. Twilight sacrifices all of her princess-magic, and with it her wings, to save her friends and all of Equestria from whatever new villain the writers pit her against (Starswirl the Bearded, perhaps?). She then learns the aforementioned lessons from number one.

Besides, I'd rather a cop-out that returns Twilight back to her old self, than a permanent change that might go horribly wrong. I mean, after all, the show had a history of making characters act out-of-character/place to make them fit with the story. They might as well do it all over again for Princess Twilight's change back to normal.

• Brohoof 1

If they were to find a way to have her revert back to her old, unicorn self, they could do this one of two ways:

1. Twilight resigns from princesshood after realizing that titles and power means nothing compared to being with your friends. She also learns that the beauty of learning is that it has no end, and that by creating an end to the learning, like with granting her the title of princess, they would also keep her away from learning even more lessons.

2. Twilight sacrifices all of her princess-magic, and with it her wings, to save her friends and all of Equestria from whatever new villain the writers pit her against (Starswirl the Bearded, perhaps?). She then learns the aforementioned lessons from number one.

Besides, I'd rather a cop-out that returns Twilight back to her old self, than a permanent change that might go horribly wrong. I mean, after all, the show had a history of making characters act out-of-character/place to make them fit with the story. They might as well do it all over again for Princess Twilight's change back to normal.

Have you ever thought that, judging from the way the showrunners talk about it and how it was pulled off in the show, Twilight was knighted more than anything else? Knighted people can still lead normal lives.

Originally, she was learning about two things: how to cast spells, and friendship.

Now, she's learning about these things: how to be a princess, and friendship.

I'm still confident she'll still learning about friendship even if she remains an alicorn princess. This is not the end of her journey. This is not even her switching from one journey to an entirely unrelated one. This is merely the next level of her studies.

Have you ever thought that, judging from the way the showrunners talk about it and how it was pulled off in the show, Twilight was knighted more than anything else? Knighted people can still lead normal lives.

Originally, she was learning about two things: how to cast spells, and friendship.

Now, she's learning about these things: how to be a princess, and friendship.

I'm still confident she'll still learning about friendship even if she remains an alicorn princess. This is not the end of her journey. This is not even her switching from one journey to an entirely unrelated one. This is merely the next level of her studies.

I'm not taking the showrunners' words in face value. Odds are, they might do the opposite of what they said and portray Twilight's new life as that of a princess first, and a normal pony second. After all, remember how they brought back Derpy, after they said that they're getting rid of her after Derpygate? The writers are capable of anything, and they might do the opposite of what they normally say.

Plus, Rarity would be a lonely unicorn as she would no longer have any other unicorn to be with, while Pinkie is still with Applejack and Rainbow Dash is still with Fluttershy.

I'm not taking the showrunners' words in face value. Odds are, they might do the opposite of what they said and portray Twilight's new life as that of a princess first, and a normal pony second. After all, remember how they brought back Derpy, after they said that they're getting rid of her after Derpygate? The writers are capable of anything, and they might do the opposite of what they normally say.

Plus, Rarity would be a lonely unicorn as she would no longer have any other unicorn to be with, while Pinkie is still with Applejack and Rainbow Dash is still with Fluttershy.

Aw, but don't you see? Twilight's transformation doesn't ruin the balance!

Now we have three ponies who can only walk on land (Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity), and three ponies who can fly (Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy)! :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm sort of conflicted between whether it'll be permanent or not because in most of the TV shows I've seen, whenever a major change happens to a character, they go back to normal by the end of the episode. However, some changes have lasted multiple episodes or in rare cases, mulitple seasons (Mr. Garrison, anyone?)

My guess? It'll be permanent.  However, I struggle to think of how it's going to make things better.  If anything, it makes her less relatable.  Frankly, the timing is very odd- this strikes me as something that should have happened at the end of the series.  Her character arc has wrapped up.  She's not struggling to find her destiny, she's already found it.  Now almost anything that comes afterwards will feel unnecessary.

Do i still hold some faith in the writers to do something good with this?  Honestly, I still think it *can* happen.  But it's far from a slam dunk, and there's so much risk of the series jumping the shark at this point.

Rewatching the Crystal Empire makes things much more clearer now.

Celestia and Luna sent Twilight on a "test" in the Crystal Empire in the beginning of S3. They then said that if she passes this test, "We'll know that she is that much closer to being ready" (At 2:30 in The Crystal Empire Part 1). At first most people just didn't pay attention to this scene. What would she be ready for? I dunno... a coronation maybe?

I think hints of the finale's events might be scattered all across S3 and that even if we felt the last episode was rushed, maybe it was planned for a long, long time.

I think those elements make it much clearer that Alicorn Twilight was not rushed but rather that the events of S3 really subtly leaned towards it, and that a lot of us were just too oblivious.

So, if you find other elements in S3 (or even before) that would suggest this just put them here. I'm sure we can find a lot of clues by rewatching the third season all over again.

• Brohoof 3

I think those elements make it much clearer that Alicorn Twilight was not rushed but rather that the events of S3 really subtly leaned towards it, and that a lot of us were just too oblivious.

You may have a point there. Celestia and Luna wouldn't just send Twilight out on any old assignment that would see her gain a princesshood upon her return. This had to be a test that would truly test her limits, and push her to reach heights we never contemplated. Those heights being the transformation into Twilicorn and her promotion that followed. Of course defeating King Sombra was that kind of test and Twi passed with flying colours, despite having not defeated Sombra directly. However, now there's the question of how long it will last.