Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will Twilight's transition to alicorn princess be permanent?

Commander_PonyShep

380 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think Twilight's princesshood be temporary or permanent?

• Temporary
    • Permanent

I believe she's in a coma. Megan McCarthy said that the premier of season 4 will continue where we left off at season 3. At the last part of the premier, Twilight's gonna wake up WITHOUT wings and she's in Ponyville hospital. The doctors are going to say that the cutie mark spell knocked her out, and she's been in a coma for a couple of months.

That's just my personal thought.

Thanks and bro hoof /)

(edited)

Twilight is confirmed to be staying with her friends- in Ponyville.

Second, there hasn't exactly been anything yet to imply that all alicorns are immortal. We can tell and know that Celestia and Luna are ethereal by their manes and their abilities to control entire celestial bodies. So the issue of her outliving her friends can't exactly..be an issue yet. Cadence seems to age normally, just as any other pony does.

Thirdly, what's wrong about the mane six parting ways to take after their true destinies? Nobody can tell me that their friends are always able to be there, right up until death. Maybe there's exceptions to the generalization, but for the most part, you do not end up sticking around and aging with a group of friends. Twilight may or may not reside in Canterlot Castle in future episodes- I don't see issue with this. It's not as if she'll never be able to see her friends again- which is what many bronies are implying very strongly.

I don't quite see the major issue with Twilicorn, overall, however. It's not as if anything has been lost or gained through her new change though (..besides the wings). She's just an alicorn. Nothing has been modified on her character. The only thing this does for the show is open up new possibilities. The deal with the mane six being separated- that's actually a good lesson to be teaching kids early- to not make choices dictated by where your friends are. If you want to pursue a dream, do it- your friends don't have to be there every step of the way.

Edited by fluffpudge

(edited)

I personally believe that the second part of Magical Mystery Cure is a coma.

I believe that the cutie mark DID get switched, but when the Mane 6 vaporized Twilight, I believe that put Twilight into a coma. She some how survived the vaporization, but Celestia's ballad was all dreamed up, and the princess cordonation was all dreamed up.

The spacy background of Celestia's ballad was weird. Twilight's whole life passed before her eyes, which gave me this idea. She saw all the adventure she went on.

Then the princess cordonation was her sub conscious. Maybe she always wanted to be a princess, but the only way to do so was to dream it up? Then in the last part of the season 4 finale she wakes up and pulls a Soprano and says "That was weird", and cuts to black.

Those are my thoughts, and just wanted to know yours.

Thanks and bro hoof /)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves
  • Brohoof 8

I disagree with the theory. I understand that some people aren't thrilled by this new change, but I feel like bronies in opposition keep bringing this theory up as a sort of hope that it's all a lie and never happened.

I don't think writers look that deeply into a story device such as this one, especially not writers for a children's show (quite the generalization- I know some writers do take time to carve into an idea and find creative loops, but most of them do not).

In addition to this, it's already been confirmed by writers that Twilicorn will be an idea used throughout the fourth season- the writers are apparently enjoying using the idea of Twilight being an alicorn, so I have high doubts that this will just be a temporary thing.

• Brohoof 2

I agree that the ballad and the flashbacks happened in a dreamscape in the recesses of Twilight's mind.  But there is little to indicate that when she is returned to her friends afterwards that she is still unconscious.  I wasn't looking for them, but I didn't notice the waviness that accompanies dreams like the ones Scootaloo had.  Sad to say, but we have to assume the coronation was real.

It's a good idea, but I seriously doubt it'll be true.

We have to remember that this is first and foremost, a little girls show. What do you think the reaction of most little girls who do watch the show will be if it turns out Twilight is in a coma? Not favorable, I'm guessing. The split between pro and anti twicorn in the fandom is fairly balanced, but in the target demographic? undoubtabley pro twicorn all the way.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree with the theory. I understand that some people aren't thrilled by this new change, but I feel like bronies in opposition keep bringing this theory up as a sort of hope that it's all a lie and never happened.

I don't think writers look that deeply into a story device such as this one, especially not writers for a children's show (quite the generalization- I know some writers do take time to carve into an idea and find creative loops, but most of them do not).

In addition to this, it's already been confirmed by writers that Twilicorn will be an idea used throughout the fourth season- the writers are apparently enjoying using the idea of Twilight being an alicorn, so I have high doubts that this will just be a temporary thing.

" it's already been confirmed by writers that Twilicorn will be an idea used throughout the fourth season- the writers are apparently enjoying using the idea of Twilight being an alicorn,"

​yeah because it sells more toys and makes more money!!!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

" it's already been confirmed by writers that Twilicorn will be an idea used throughout the fourth season- the writers are apparently enjoying using the idea of Twilight being an alicorn,"

yeah because it sells more toys and makes more money!!!

Well of course. Hasbro is a toy company. MLP, regardless of it's newfound popularity, has always been used as a device to sell toys. Kids like toys- Hasbro can't appeal to the brony fandom for the rest of the franchise. There's still younger children that watch the show too- nobody can or should ignore that.

Regardless of that, I don't see why the writers themselves can't enjoy the character.

Edited by fluffpudge
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well of course. Hasbro is a toy company. MLP, regardless of it's newfound popularity, has always been used as a device to sell toys. Kids like toys- Hasbro can't appeal to the brony fandom for the rest of the franchise. There's still younger children that watch the show too- nobody can or should ignore that.

Regardless of that, I don't see why the writers themselves can't enjoy the character.

eh I see your point but it still made the mane six uneven you know? 2 earth pony's 2 Pegisi and 2 unicorns now became an odd: 2 earth pony's 2 pegisi 1 unicorn and the odd duck out is the alicorn
Edited by PonyRocker88
  • Brohoof 1

I agree that the ballad and the flashbacks happened in a dreamscape in the recesses of Twilight's mind.  But there is little to indicate that when she is returned to her friends afterwards that she is still unconscious.  I wasn't looking for them, but I didn't notice the waviness that accompanies dreams like the ones Scootaloo had.  Sad to say, but we have to assume the coronation was real.

Luna was in two episodes this season, Sleepless in Ponyville and Magical Mystery Cure. In Sleepless in Ponyville she was in it for a dream, so it makes since that she's in it for a coma to. See my point?

Thanks and bro hoof /)

I love your idea. I think that is a really cool twist and i would love to see that if it were true. I would never have thought that it might have been a dream.

Yeah neither did I. But I rewatched it and the whole space scene did not fit into the regular show's dynamic. I would laugh if this happened, because so many people freaked out over nothing!

Thanks and bro hoof /)

• Brohoof 1

As ridiculous as this theory is... I would laugh myself silly if it came true. I could just imagine season 4 beginning with Twilight asking "where's my wings?" while her friends all laugh at her, then cut to the opening credits. XD

I don't think so, it seems this is really out there just to try to  keep the idea that the whole alicorn thing is false.  It's a little girls show and that would be too deep.

(edited)

While you bring up some interesting points, I must respectfully disagree. I immediately associated your idea with Mass Effect 3's indoctrination theory--and with good reason, too. The elaborate theory, however awesome it seemed to be, was ultimately the manifestation of a fandom's denial. The writers never intended to make something so complicated, and the final canonical ending was nothing like the theory. It's likely that MLP Season 3's ending is the same way. The writers intended for Twilight to become an alicorn, and I can say with confidence that her wings are here to stay.

In any case, I doubt the writers would include something as serious or as complicated as what you've described. MLP is a kids' show, after all. And there's too much money to be made with Princess Twilight.

Fascinating theory and enjoyable read, however, so have a brohoof.

Edited by Twilicorn

While that would be funny to just have Twilight be in a coma the whole time it seems kinda idk not like something they'd do in a show like MLP, plus it just felt like they where pretty serious with it, especially judging from tweets from developers, so while anythings possible I feel like it isn't super likely.

I don't really care if Twilights an Alicorn or not, it doesn't particularly bother me either way :P. As long as the shows still good.(which for me it still is.)

Besides, after the whole weird realm thing everything didn't seem very unrealistic to be honest, looked pretty real to me. However I could believe the weird realm that Twilight was in with Celestia was some form of a dream and wasn't real actually, but I don't think I could believe the rest of it being a dream, it just seemed to lifelike.

Uh, I don't think so. I mean maybe, but a come seems a little out of place. I think she is an Alicorn for real, but I have no idea whether or not it's temporary yet.

I think that she will lose the wings, but not right out of the gate. Im thinking that they will have Twilight Alicorn all through season 4, and that the season finale will be where she reverts to normal by force, or willingly in a sacrificial fashion. At least thats my theory

In a way that would make more sense would it?

One other possibility can be that the dev team is gonna take up trying to to mend the broken base (those of us that either like or dislike Alicorn Twilight) together by convincing the anti-alicorn Twilight fans that Twilight's ascension won't mess with the show's friendship theme and that there will be measures taken to balance Twilight's character out so we won't have to fear her being a mary sue or her overshadowing the rest of the Mane 6.

They might only remove Twilight's alicorn status if they fail to convince the anti-alicorn Twilight side of the broken base, OR, if the dev team themselves find it too difficult to write in decent character balance for Alicorn Twilight.

But if the alicorn ascension is indeed permanent, I suggest you anti-alicorn Twilight fans simply use the arts of Fanon Discontinuity to only regard the episodes before Magical Mystery Cure as canon.

Or, if you want to go that far, make the fan-edits of the post-Season 3 episodes I suggested in my earliest posts.

(edited)

As much as I want to see unicorn Twilight again, I don't think it was a coma. The part with Celestia could have been, but the rest didn't seem like a dream.

The split between pro and anti twicorn in the fandom is fairly balanced, but in the target demographic? undoubtabley pro twicorn all the way.

I've heard about quite a few girls not liking Twilicorn at all. There were a few posts about it in the episode discussion thread. Just because they're little girls, it doesn't mean you should assume they'll go gaga over a new princess.

Edited by Emerald Flame

Sure why not? It only absolutely no sense whatsoever so hey in for a penny in for a pound as they say, this probably wasn't a coma but a bad acid trip on the other hand who knows? With how random the whole thing was Spike might as well have barfed up the Oompah Loompahs and knowing this episode they would have given them a song which probably would have gone something like this.

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo

I've got a perfect marketing strategy for you

Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-dee,
If you are dumb you will listen to me.

What do you get when you drink the kool aide?

Drinking as much as a sailor on shore leave.

What your wallet is at getting terribly fat?

Who do you think is responsible for that?

I don't like the look of it.

Oompa Loompa do-ba-dee-da,

Let the writers do their jobs and you will go far

You will live in happiness too,
Like the oompa loompa do-ba-dee-doo.
Do-ba-dee-doo

In a way that would make more sense would it?

One other possibility can be that the dev team is gonna take up trying to to mend the broken base (those of us that either like or dislike Alicorn Twilight) together by convincing the anti-alicorn Twilight fans that Twilight's ascension won't mess with the show's friendship theme and that there will be measures taken to balance Twilight's character out so we won't have to fear her being a mary sue or her overshadowing the rest of the Mane 6.

They might only remove Twilight's alicorn status if they fail to convince the anti-alicorn Twilight side of the broken base, OR, if the dev team themselves find it too difficult to write in decent character balance for Alicorn Twilight.

But if the alicorn ascension is indeed permanent, I suggest you anti-alicorn Twilight fans simply use the arts of Fanon Discontinuity to only regard the episodes before Magical Mystery Cure as canon.

Or, if you want to go that far, make the fan-edits of the post-Season 3 episodes I suggested in my earliest posts.

I just think that this sort of thing is too major a change to be permanent. If it is, the dev team better bring there A game in order to keep the characters balanced with Twilight being an Alicorn Princess. But like I said, I think, that if they remove it, it wont be in a "Now your an Alicorn, now you are not" way. That doesnt seem very organic. I really think that its going to be a villain that forces her hand, like "Give it up or lose your friends" fashion. Similar to the Crystal Empire.

Well right now I'm not sure what is going to happen. I have 2 ideas in my mind about this and I'm not sure which idea I like the most.

One involves her to sacrifices her powers and the other one involves Celestia having to do something that makes her despair and Twilight has to take rule over Equestria.

So right now, I'm still in the middle. 

Here is my idea:

The Season 4 opener will mirror Friendship is Magic part I & II from the first season, with the biggest difference being that Twilight is excited to reunite with her friends after a long break away from them, only to find that they are standoffish at best, often treating her more like royalty than a friend. After being alienated by all of her friends, Twilight returns to Ponyville library, to find the last pony, Pinkie Pie there with Spike. Spike explains that he has felt smothered ever since Twilight got her wings and has decided that he would be better off living on the moon. Now completely alienated by her friends and even Spike, Twilight leaves Ponyville and travels to the ancient ruins of the royal sisters, the place where they first discovered the Elements of Harmony and defeated Nightmare Moon. Suddenly, Discord appears, and attempts to cheer Twilight Sparkle up in parallel fashion to when he finally managed to corrupt Twilight in Return to Harmony part II. Twilight confesses to her enemy-turned-ally that being a princess isn't all it's cracked up to be, and she'd give it all up just to be with her friends again. Discord claims he can help her, but Twilight is hesitant to trust him, as he has been known to deceive ponies in the past. Discord than promises he has no ulterior motive, and begins to show her how he was imprisoned the first time around many centuries before. Discord then creates a magical window into the past, and reveals to Twilight Sparkle that he was actually Starswirl the Bearded.

The second part of the opener begins with Twilight shocked at this revelation. Discord reveals that as a pony, he was very distant, and refused to make friends or open up to other ponies. Discord then shows Twilight that he had originally created the spell to change his own destiny, though Discord himself cannot actually remember why. He mentions that casting the incomplete spell causes total chaos, hence the swapping of her friends' cutie marks. When Starswirl had cast the spell however, he did not have any friends, and thus he was affected by the spell, transforming him into Discord; a living, breathing embodiment of chaos. Upon transformation, Discord had also accidentally changed the destinies of two young Unicorns, transforming them into Alicorns. After causing non-stop chaos for several years, the two Alicorns revealed to be Celestia and Luna turn him into stone using the elements of harmony. Discord then comes to the conclusion that he never needed the spell in the first place, as he and Twilight have both shown that they are in charge of their own destinies; Discord by becoming good, and Twilight by helping her friends find who they really are. After hearing this, Twilight decides to fly to Canterlot and request that she is turned back into a unicorn by Celestia, claiming that she does not need to be a princess to spread the power of friendship, and that she'd rather do so with her friends by her side than alone. Twilight is then turned into a unicorn again, and returns to Ponyville to be greeted by her friends, who now complete welcome her, and are touched that she would choose them over being royalty.

TL;DR:

Twilight decides she'd rather be a unicorn and have her friends, than be a princess and be alone.