Twilight Sparkle ✨

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I just realized, this episode is more metalogically hilarious than Fall Weather Friends

In aforementioned, it's funny because it's essentially 22 minutes of Ashleigh Ball talking to herself. (RD-AJ)

In present, the episode's plot is the simplest and also least retensile of all the episodes, that was intended to be carried out. The Flim Flam Brothers are very inconsistent with the bets and wagers they said vs. what they meant- HOWEVER, you as an audience member fall under the spell of their fast talking and charm, and never notice. It's a metalogical con on you just as much as they conned the denziens of Ponyville.

I really have to stop watching this when I'm tired. I watched it for the first time at 5am and didn't enjoy it much at all. The song really irritated me, the Flim Flam brothers were annoying and the mane 6 weren't in it enough.

Just watched it again in a regular state of mind and I loved every second of it! Rainbow Dash's reactions to not getting any cider were hilarious.

There.

i really should learn how that works sometime, hand me a carb off a mower or car and i'll dismantle, clean, and reassemble it with ease, a copy-paste piece of code and i haven't a clue wtf to do with it...

I learnt on another forum that American cider is not alcoholic, but I watched this episode assumiing it was normal cider (never heard of non-alcoholic cider, I mean wouldn't that just be apple juice?!). I was amused by all these alcoholic ponies queuing for days for their slug of cider.

Aside from that, it was fun. The song wasn't really my style, but the parts played by the other ponies was very funny! They really are a load of sheep tho! The scene with a pissed off Seafoam staring daggers at Applejack after she ran out of cider was very amusing.

I loved Applejack's letter to the princess. That was priceless!

yes here in the states it is common practice to mislabel apple juice as "cider" although as cider wasn't so popular a drink in the southern states back during/before the prohibition era juice is typically labeled properly as juice and cider is just hard to find in the actually brewed variety.

the point was made that as the show is produced here in the states that the local meaning of cider meant the cider was actually just juice, however the voices of the apple family and their character naturally indicates a southern origin, meaning that cider=booze. also if nothing else proves it cheerily's face does, happy drunk is happy.

Not quite. In the United States, since Prohibition, the label of cider is typically used for an unprocessed juice. Cider will appear thick and murky, or in other words, it has a high amount of turbidity. It also tastes a little different. Alcoholic cider is explicitely referred to as hard cider.

One thing to note is that the cider in the episode, under normal circumstances, couldn't have been alcoholic anyway, at least not the stuff produced in the competition. Fermentation takes time, time the cider in the episode did not have to undergo. So technically, it couldn't have been alcoholic even if normally it would have been.

Of course that doesn't explain the foam on top of the mugs, the shape of the mugs, the tap the cider was poured from, or all the other alcohol references. This is easily one of the most adult-oriented episodes on the show, with a LOT of subtext that younger viewers wouldn't get. If there was anything we didn't get to see that I wish we did, it was a drunk Pinkie Pie. That would have been hilarious beyond belief.

No, it definitely isn't. There's nothing preventing the cider poured before the contest from being alcoholic. It's the cider produced at the contest itself that couldn't have been alcoholic.

not in texas at least, here juice is labeled as juice, and cider that has been fermented is labeled as "imported", or otherwise you have to read further into the label to find its proper designation as mislabeled juice, american brewed cider, or "hard cider" which in my experience is almost exclusively alcohol infused juice.

in the southern states cider was not a popular drink, the prohibition's effect on it's labeling did not really happen in these parts enough to change what the word meant. in regards to what is available in texas, yes i know my booze :P also there is exhibit a;

Posted Image

This is not the face of a teacher drinking non-alcoholic beverages.

Well, the cider that Cheerilee drinks in that image was produced before the contest, so as I said, it could have been alcoholic. (The "No it definitely isn't" in my previous post was referring to Mister Jack's comment, or in other words, I was agreeing that she was probably drinking alcoholic cider.)

It's the cider produced at the contest that I'm arguing couldn't have been alcoholic.

I really enjoyed this episode, even if the Apple family happened to be at the center of things yet again. The inclusion of the entirety of the Mane 6 kept it from being entirely lopsided. I haven't bothered to read through all ten pages of this thread, but did anyone think back to "Applebuck Season" when Applejack accepted the assistance of the other ponies? It was a nice culmination of events and a nod to the lessons the ponies had learned in the first season. Of course, I laughed when AJ declared she hadn't learned anything because she had been correct all along. Cue her enormous troll face as she sends the letter to Princess Celestia and waits for a reply. Definitely a nice touch at the end.

The Flim Flam Brothers song. What else is there to say which has not already been said? They carried an incredibly catchy tune with wonderful rhythm and timing. It is definitely one of the best songs performed on the show. As an aside: if there has not been such a contest already, it would be really cool to vote for the best musical pieces used on MLP. I imagine this would rank rather highly on the list.

I loved Rainbow Dash being trolled and tormented by fate throughout the episode. She is probably one of the funniest of the Mane 6 when her expectations are dashed (lolol get it?).

I find it interesting that the writers were able to really expand on the notion of a mass produced, mechanized workforce versus manual labor. I doubt the target audience (i.e., preteens) could fully appreciate the implications of the story and its intended moral. As it has been stated, this episode had an adult oriented edge which was unlike a number of previous episodes. I like to think it was sort of a gift to the Bronies watching the show.

Fun episode all around.

• Brohoof 1

I can not believe that this show adopted such a relevant theme for this episode. It actually has to do with real life and makes a superb statment about the state of today's society. It might not do it in the most artistic way, but it provides the awesomeness of all the episodes that we (the fans) have come to love, and a sophisticated theme that adds an immeasurable amount of quality to the show.

I really enjoyed this episode, even if the Apple family happened to be at the center of things yet again. The inclusion of the entirety of the Mane 6 kept it from being entirely lopsided. I haven't bothered to read through all ten pages of this thread, but did anyone think back to "Applebuck Season" when Applejack accepted the assistance of the other ponies? It was a nice culmination of events and a nod to the lessons the ponies had learned in the first season. Of course, I laughed when AJ declared she hadn't learned anything because she had been correct all along. Cue her enormous troll face as she sends the letter to Princess Celestia and waits for a reply. Definitely a nice touch at the end.

The Flim Flam Brothers song. What else is there to say which has not already been said? They carried an incredibly catchy tune with wonderful rhythm and timing. It is definitely one of the best songs performed on the show. As an aside: if there has not been such a contest already, it would be really cool to vote for the best musical pieces used on MLP. I imagine this would rank rather highly on the list.

I loved Rainbow Dash being trolled and tormented by fate throughout the episode. She is probably one of the funniest of the Mane 6 when her expectations are dashed (lolol get it?).

I find it interesting that the writers were able to really expand on the notion of a mass produced, mechanized workforce versus manual labor. I doubt the target audience (i.e., preteens) could fully appreciate the implications of the story and its intended moral. As it has been stated, this episode had an adult oriented edge which was unlike a number of previous episodes. I like to think it was sort of a gift to the Bronies watching the show.

Fun episode all around.

The last part was a very good explanation of how much this episode brought to the table, and was much more eloquent than my previous post. I wonder if the show will actually start having themes that aren't completely cliche and pointless.

From the speculation topic

>Flim Flam Bros. swindle the farm away from Apple Family

>AJ tries to win it back selling cider

>Flim Flam Bros. win and keep farm anyways

>Apple Family says "**** it" and beats the holy hell out of the FFB

>mfw

=D

But it's a children's show so that won't happen

Oh man, it was close. I half-waited for it when the Mayor declared the FFB as the winners and they showed the Apple Family all together.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I wasn't very impressed by the song in this episode. The first time watching, I barely understood half the lyrics because of how fast it went. Use of the term nonpareil seemed a little odd, especially when they didn't even explain the phrase for anyone who misheard or didn't know anything about French etymology. Younger viewers of the show (the ones not caught up in the flow of the song, at least) wouldn't know what it means, and Pinkie Pie even asks what it was they said and they basically ignore her. It also felt incredibly repetitive. "Opportunity in your community" is a cheesy line to hear over and over again in such a short chorus. The hightlight was Granny Smith's solo, a very refreshing bridge that laid groundwork for the brothers' defeat. Don't get me wrong, the song was fine - I just wasn't as blown away by it as everyone else seemed to be.

The rest of the episode was thouroughly enjoyable, despite being predictable as hay. The Squeezy 6000 was an impressive steampunk style machine, easily one of my favorite props/set pieces. It was great to see the mane six working together to solve a problem, each with their own strengths and contributions. I also loved how there wasn't a forced lesson thrown in, since Applejack already knew perfectly well that genuine hard work brought quality that would always win over quantity. That and her epic troll trot. I DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING!

• 3 weeks later...

I just re-watched the episode and had a disturbing thought. When Flim and Flam shut off the quality control circuitry of the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, and it started sucking up whole trees, how many bugs, wasp nests, squirrels, chipmunks and birds got processed into their beverage? Oh crap, has anypony seen Opalescence after this debacle? She may have been up a tree again!

Cider, now in the new chunky high protein formula!

EWWW!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I just re-watched the episode and had a disturbing thought. When Flim and Flam shut off the quality control circuitry of the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, and it started sucking up whole trees, how many bugs, wasp nests, squirrels, chipmunks and birds got processed into their beverage? Oh crap, has anypony seen Opalescence after this debacle? She may have been up a tree again!

Cider, now in the new chunky high protein formula!

EWWW!

It is good for your bones :D
  • Brohoof 3

It is good for your bones :D

Extra calcium is good for fillies, but I wouldn't want to be drinking raw bird smoothies!

OMG!!! i haven't seen the cat either! that's hilarious, but then it's a kid's show, assume all critters were run off by the noise of the show and the machine :P

I sure hope so! That cider sure looked lumpy!

Extra calcium is good for fillies, but I wouldn't want to be drinking raw bird smoothies!

They are not raw the cider machine heats the apples so they are softer so its better on the mechanism so its not raw its cooked, its a bit like beef and go!
  • Brohoof 2