Twilight Sparkle ✨

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I think this episode is solid. The jokes are funny and the song is fantastic. It's pretty obvious that Flim and Flam would have taken all of the profits if the Apples partnered with them and while the competition feels a bit contrived, it doesn't bother me too much.

Score: 7/10

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The song and AJs letter were the best parts in the episode by far, the song has a disney feeling to it and what applejack said at the end was hilarious and delivered excellently! The rest was solid enough with great moments like dashs desperation to get the cider and how pinkie rubs it in were great character moments. Flim and flam were effective as  villains but to arrogant for that villain trope to be really successful, they need to be more secretive and grounded(to be honest they annoyed me a bit). 7.5\10 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Decent episode, but I still want Flim and Flam to be locked up in Tartarus.  Those pieces of sh*t.  I HATE 'EM!  :Cozy:

The best part of this episode was that adorable, delightfully saucy modesty scene when Fluttershy is embarrassed when Rainbow rips the covers off her.  :ButtercupLaugh:

• 2 years later...

Ok, I got several issues with this episode.

First off, I'm absolutely ok with Flim and Flam's introduction. Their song and introduction make it relatively clear what kind of characters they are, bad guy business people. Their songs fine for me as well, especially with the whole barber shop trio vibes. Another thing I think is interesting is their invention, the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy. From what I can see, the machine obviously has flaws. One of which is recognizing the apple's quality, where it seems like it judge them by face value. So I'd imagine the stuff the machine makes is like cheap beer while the Apple family's cider is like fine wine.

As for the flaws... well, there are several. Some include Rainbow's 'addiction' to the Apple family cider, Flim and Flam constantly stealing other's customers The fact that Applejack said 'I didn't learn anything! I was right all along!' just pisses me off hardcore. It doesn't show her learning anything, it just shows she's perfectly fine with being stagnant, which is something you absolutely DO NOT do with a character. In fact, the Apple family only won because Flim and Flam were pressured into disregarding quality when Twilight and her friends came to help, causing the ponies to hate it. In other words, the Apple family only won by unfair means

I don't like this episode. The Flim Flam brothers, music, and animations were fine, but everything else could've been way better. But the biggest problem is the moral, which, for real, was ambiguous at best. If we're supposed to learn that conning and monopolies are bad, they did not do a good job at it. So yeah, if you wanna see the Apple family at they're best, this episode is definitely not for you

• 4 months later...

I was surprised this episode generated so much discussion over the two different type s of cider. Probably because I didn’t realize the non alcohol variety isn’t as familiar to Europe. 

• 5 months later...

The plot in this one is quite straight forward. It's the whole tradition vs technology story, which is fine honestly. Speaking of which, I didn't mind Flim and Flam as villains. They fit the whole greedy corporate role, so I can shrug my shoulders and deal with them. Also, "The Flim Flam Cider Song" is great and massively underrated IMO.

I did enjoy watching the entire cider making process. The Mane 6 teaming up to help the Apples make the cider was actually my favourite scene. The jokes/gags were pretty enjoyable as well. I always found RD's love for cider kind of funny actually. :p

I have one minor complaint and that's the same thing everyone else talks about. The episode doesn't really address the fact that the Apples never have enough cider for everyone in Ponyville. It's a small thing, but they could've added something at the end to fix that.

I enjoyed this episode. It always stuck out to me as one of the more underrated ones. :)

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Solid story. I fail to see exactly what Flim and Flam did wrong, except towards the end. The song was on point and I really enjoyed the background ponies in this episode and how they acted like a mob, very cute. The major plothole is how there isn't enough cider for the entire town in Sweet Apple Acres, or how Flim and Flam damaged the property. 

• 1 month later...

Now this is one great episode. Flim and Flam are my favorite low stakes "villains", and their song is just a banger. It always makes me want to start selling some weird and esoteric product with my own brother. They work so well together, hyping everyone up just with their frantic carnival energy.

Rainbow Dash not being able to get a cup of cider is a funny running gag, but AJ would've just put a cup aside for her realistically. And the math on the premise that the Apples would lose the farm if they don't sell enough cider or work with the Mario Bros. is wonky at best. Like why couldn't they just work together and make ALL the cider for everyone. That would've been a better resolution than running them out of town for some reasons. 

I just love how even the Mane Six gets in on the action, trying to help the Apples make enough cider to beat the SSCS6000, instead of reasoning with everyone, doing the math, and coming up with a better plan to help everyone. That's honestly what Twilight, Ms. Nerdy Math Girl, herself sould've done.

8+1/10, bonus point for the song and the FlimFlam Brothers !

• Brohoof 1