Twilight Sparkle ✨

66 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

The "Granny Smith is a chicken like Scootaloo" jokes. I see them coming. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

No, Granny Smith is Scootaloo.

I wonder, will Flim and Flam become the next Trixie? They kinda did the same thing: Boasted, but couldn't back it.

One could argue this isn't true; Flim 'n Flam did manage to make good quality cider, and at a fast rate as well.

They only produced their horrid brew when switching the quality control off.

Oh, guys? I just noticed this:

Seriously we need fan art of this BG pony ASAP.

Oh my. That... that is awesome. So, that specific pony helps with Winter Wrap-up by breaking the ice, then?

No, Granny Smith is Scootaloo.

One could argue this isn't true; Flim 'n Flam did manage to make good quality cider, and at a fast rate as well.

They only produced their horrid brew when switching the quality control off.

Still, I'd say that's on a similar level as Trixie. Still un-backed boasting, just differently.

Trixie claimed she could vanquish an Ursa Major, but when there was a Ursa Minor (which she believed was a Major) she couldn't vanquish it.

Flim and Flam claimed they could mass-produce quality apple cider at a rate faster than by hand. When they couldn't keep up, they started making cider with rocks and trees in it.

Princess Celestia responds to Applejack

warning: language

from ponibooru

Posted Image

I would've thought that a princess would have better handwriting. ^_^

Bon Bon y u no keep your voice the same ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Bon Bon changes her voice constantly to mess with ponies who don't know her very well. :lol:

Am I the only one who didn't really care for the Flim Flam brothers? Also I thought the song went on way too long...

Eeyup.

As for the song, it was quite long. But it did contain some important plot points so it's okay by my books.

Was I the only one disturbed at how the Flim Flam brothers could just about mind control ponies by promising them apple cider?

If two dudes had a large stock of beer after the only bar in town ran dry, you bet your ass I'd sit through their silly song for it.

...wait, what?

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed the episode, but it was one of those episodes where it felt off in the end. Well, really the whole thing felt off to me.

If the Flim Flam brothers hadn't cheated, would they have still won? And if they had won without cheating, would their cider have been good enough? Granny Smith's taste test of the pre-conpetition cider where the machine functioned at the right pace elicited a big "Oh dear, this actually doesn't taste bad" response (at least by my interpretation and IIRC)

So, essentially, the only way to move them out was for them to cheat and make their machine move too fast causing major issues. The ponies at the end seem to disregard the fact that they never got to taste the cider when the machine was functioning at the right pace. The amount of cider needed for the whole town was significantly less than what they produced for the competition (as is indicated by the fact that even though the Apple family lost, they had made enough for the town), so they didn't need to cheat and therefore could make it like normal.

Perhaps I'm thinking way too much. Perhaps nobody realized that the Flim Flam brothers were getting way ahead of themselves and sucking up the entire trees. You'd think that they would have took one look at the stuff inside of the glasses and saw some indication of how it was different from before.

But it was funny. The mimmicking of Black Friday by having the ponies out camping to get it before it ran out.

Edited by Envy

If the Flim Flam brothers hadn't cheated, would they have still won? And if they had won without cheating, would their cider have been good enough? Granny Smith's taste test of the pre-conpetition cider where the machine functioned at the right pace elicited a big "Oh dear, this actually doesn't taste bad" response (at least by my interpretation and IIRC)

I got the same vibes from Granny Smith.

As for them winning, I think the Apple family would have won. It would be very close though.

Twilight remarks that they were making 5 barrels for each 3 barrels that Flim 'n Flam made. So therefore depending on the time remaining they may have overtook them.

Here be some maths:

let the number of barrels the Apple family have be a

and the number that Flim 'n Flam have be f

and t is time

To begin with the ratio of a':f' was 1:3

Then later it was 5:3

After doubling the power and turning off quality control it becomes 6:3

The competition starts at 14:05,

and the mane 5 join in around 16:48,

then Flim 'n Flam increase intake at 17:20 (but don't produce any barrels due to the quality control),

they then turn off their quality control soon after at 17:33,

The competition ends at 18:32

Under observation it is revealed that at the beginning the Apple's were filling a barrel each 2 seconds.

So for the start:

t = 16*60+48 - (14*60+5) = 163

a = 163 / 2 = 81.5

f = 163 / (2 / 3) = 244.5

After the mane 5 joined:

t = 17*60+20-(16*60+48) = 32

a = 32 / (2 / 5) = 80

f = 32 / (2 / 3) = 48

When Flim 'n Flam turn up the power:

t = 17*60+33-(17*60+20) = 13

a = 13 / (2 / 5) = 32.5

f = 0

In the final stretch:

t = 18*60+23-(17*60+33) = 50

a = 50 / (2 / 5) = 125

f = 50 / (2 / 6) = 150

So to add this all up:

a = 81.5 + 80 + 32.5 + 125 = 319

f = 244.5 + 48 + 0 + 150 = 442.5

So Flim 'n Flam win by over 100 barrels.

But if Flim 'n Flam didn't cheat, the final stretch would be:

t = 18*60+33-(17*60+20) = 73

a = 73 / (2 / 5) = 182.5

f = 73 / (2 / 3) = 109.5

And the totals:

a = 81.5 + 80 + 182.5 = 344

f = 244.5 + 48 + 109.5 = 402

Flim 'n Flam would've still won by around 60 barrels.

TL;DR Even if they didn't cheat, Flim 'n Flam would've won.

• Brohoof 2

Wan't this episode sort of a referance to the movie,Music Man? well,the scenario is the same at least,a con artist sings to a group of guible citizens,and they believe and fall for his scam.

don't people/ponies also camp outside in line to buy concert tickets too?

VeRy GuD EpAsUd TiS wUs!! I knew the Apple Family would win and the song was very too long, great episode and why do ponies drink achohol??

No, the Apple's would have lost by around 60 barrels.

Posted Image

When I heard Big Mac say no deal, I wondered if someone was going to do this. This is why this fanbase is the best. :)

Wonderful episode. My only disappointment is I wanted more out of Applejack, but to me this was still her episode. Her letter to Celestia was my favorite part.

I like how the Apples technically lost, since it made way for some sad moments, but quality is better than quantity. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie, and Fluttershy were all lovable in this episode, and I loved how everypony played a part in helping.

Edited by Sugar Cube

I wouldn't really consider what the FlimFlams did during the contest as cheating. Maybe a bit unethical, but the contest was for who could make the MOST cider, not the BEST cider.

Either way it came back to bite them.

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode overall. good story, good moral. but in the end I feel that there really was something Applejack learned: A little competition can be a good thing. I also am glad that we finally know for sure that the machines in Equestria like twilight's brain-o-meter and tanks propeller are powered by unicorn magic.

I wouldn't really consider what the FlimFlams did during the contest as cheating. Maybe a bit unethical, but the contest was for who could make the MOST cider, not the BEST cider.

Either way it came back to bite them.

You're right, but the fact that Rainbow Dash's idea of skipping the inspection part of the process was considered 'cheating' and that's pretty much what the Flim Flam brothers were doing that it should be considered cheating on their part.

• Brohoof 2