Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Direction of Fanfics

ToridAkbolto

How do you think Twilicorn will affect future fanfics, in terms of quality and limitations? 

I have written two fanfics myself, one going down a much darker path where she outlives her friends, and another being a little happier where she flies with Rainbow Dash in the Wonderbolts Academy. But after just these two, I'm out of ideas. From what I've seen, there are a lot of stories with plots along the same lines.

There will be plenty of fics. Dash teaching Twilight to fly better already has loads of em. I would imagine there will be some deconstructing the idea, showing the negative consequences of it. Others will attempt to use them to speculate what direction the show will take with it (and likely be completely wrong) I predict an increase of Twilestia fics (shudders) and probably fics about the life of Starswirl the Bearded and his failures to complete the spell.

And of course there will be loads of people who continue to write about Unicorn Twilight, since she was a fascinating character as is, and many writers who I've talked to have lots of ideas for her and few about Alicorn Twilight. I'll probably be doing this for the time being :)

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, maybe. I wouldn't be surprised. I don't read that many fanfics, but if they write about characters like Octavia, Derpy, Berry, and Vinyl, I'm sure, actually, I'd be shocked it they didn't, start writing fanfics about Twilicorn. In fact, I'm sure one's being written right now.

I'm currently in the process of writing a fanfic myself. I'm certainly not going to change my story to incorporate Twilicorn, but if I do end up making fanfics in the future, I'll be sure to include it.

I don't see Twilicorn affecting fanfics as a whole too much. Perhaps we'll see more fics where Twilight learns to fly.

Twilight is not the main cannon

in any of my stories in truth in

this moment (Luna....and Scoot and non the yuri sense :umad: )

But  with fanfic you can do anything

you want in truth,  hell you can re write

how Twilight gets the wings and such

in a AU setting!  Its a still every open world fans

can drive into!

In my fic I will have to divide it so some events gone through before the coronation and season finale of S3 and a posterior time when Twi is an alicorn. In a way is not something out of the story I was planning on having her like an alicorn but this is WAY TOO SOON.

She becoming an alicorn will grant cannon to some of the stuff I planned for future story lines and deal with the terrible curse of inmortality so is not that bad. Still is WAY TOO SOON

It all just depends on the writer like take me for instance I was going to make my upcoming fanfic with Twilicorn and an Alicorn OC but I pulled it back and decided to keep both of them as Unicorns. For me the story feels like it'll just flow a lot better with them like that but like I said it's all about personal preference.

• 2 months later...

...Twilicorn will not outlive her friends? You know? Because Twilight's friends possess the Elements of Harmony, that might mean that they would develop their own immortality. Sure, it might not mean that they'll turn into alicorns themselves, but with Meghan McCarthy confirming that Twilight will not outlive her friends, that would mean that both Twilight and all five of her friends attained immortality, or at least longer lifespans.

If that's the case, then I just imagine the following scenario:

Twilight's friends become her eternal guardians, protecting their fair princess of friendship from any and all forces of evil with their newly-gained eternal lives. They'll be like Sailors Mercury, Venus, Mars, and Jupiter, who were the reincarnations of Princess Serenity's bodyguards!

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Oh, there definitely will be some, and there may be one out there in the works right now, either publicized or planning. Content dealing with the Twilicorn being immortal hasn't stopped despite McCarthy playing Word of God on Twitter (if anyone thinks it will, they're lying to themselves; if she's replaced by another editor someday, (s)he may say the reverse), and chances are McCarthy's role as part-time PR manager there only adds new concepts (this time dealing with perhaps making her friends gain a longer, if not permanent, life, too) into the fire.

EDIT:

Actually, I don't just mean Twilight, but also all five of her friends becoming immortal.

I know that, hence my topic sentence in this post.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, there definitely will be some, and there may be one out there in the works right now, either publicized or planning. Content dealing with the Twilicorn being immortal hasn't stopped despite McCarthy playing Word of God on Twitter (if anyone thinks it will, they're lying to themselves; if she's replaced by another editor someday, (s)he may say the reverse), and chances are McCarthy's role as part-time PR manager there only adds new concepts into the fire.

Actually, I don't just mean Twilight, but also all five of her friends becoming immortal. After all, they bear their own Elements of Harmony, and are therefore given longer lifespans/immortality due to years of exposure to their magic.

Though, when you think about it, the likelihood of Twilight and her friends becoming immortal are very low. Chances are, all six of the main ponies will still have normal lifespans, and will grow old and die like other normal ponies.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

They already exist, if a quick search is of any indication. Here's one called "The Light Never Goes Out," written in 2011. Aside from that, however, there doesn't seem to be very many, though I certainly wouldn't doubt the accelerated creation of future immortal Mane Six (IM6) stories.  

I don't, however, expect to see as an optimistic situation as yours. The implications of an IM6 scenario would very similar to those of an immortal Twilight story. While the primary cast would remain alive, their friends and relatives would grow old and die. Their minds would change, even if their bodies didn't. Immortality could well be a curse as much as it is a blessing.

I'd be interested in how they would approach such a situation. Would they regret their immortality? Would they embrace it? Both? Would it change them in the long term? For a story involving immortal ponies to truly be successful, I feel that it would have to address these issues. Indeed, the very nature of this concept demands that these questions be asked. In any case, there is huge potential for the exploration of psychological and philosophical ramifications of immortality. 

On a side note, Commander, I'm just wondering--do you ever post outside the Twilicorn forum? It feels as if every other post here is yours. 

They already exist, if a quick search is of any indication. Here's one called "The Light Never Goes Out," written in 2011. Aside from that, however, there doesn't seem to be very many, though I certainly wouldn't doubt the accelerated creation of future immortal Mane Six (IM6) stories.  

I don't, however, expect to see as an optimistic situation as yours. The implications of an IM6 scenario would very similar to those of an immortal Twilight story. While the primary cast would remain alive, their friends and relatives would grow old and die. Their minds would change, even if their bodies didn't. Immortality could well be a curse as much as it is a blessing.

I'd be interested in how they would approach such a situation. Would they regret their immortality? Would they embrace it? Both? Would it change them in the long term? For a story involving immortal ponies to truly be successful, I feel that it would have to address these issues. Indeed, the very nature of this concept demands that these questions be asked. In any case, there is huge potential for the exploration of psychological and philosophical ramifications of immortality. 

On a side note, Commander, I'm just wondering--do you ever post outside the Twilicorn forum? It feels as if every other post here is yours.

But at the very least, even if the Mane Six will no longer retain their normal lives due to their immortality from the Elements, at the very least they'll have each other. Anything, anything, so long as Twilight sticks together with her friends, wings or no wings, princess title or none at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple more, but I don't think their popularity will match the Immortal Alicorn Twilight fics. Those were generally used to go the direction of "My life is ruined because all my friends are dying/dead." and to use the concept for cheap feels. The growing sense of loneliness is one of the big forces behind the immortality fics, and having all your best friends survive kinda blunts the emotional force. One person is currently using the concept of the Mane Six possibly becoming immortal to passive-aggressively start a debate over whether immortality for many people is desirable or practical, so there is that. They're getting the best of both worlds though, as they still get to kill off characters to move the debate forward (Applejack and Fluttershy are gone, Rarity'll probably be next).

Overall, people generally write immortal fanfics to address the concept of death and force the audience to confront it as well, and if the six characters the audience likely cares the most about are already immortal, the concept would probably be discouraging to potential writers.

Well, that's an interesting theory!

But the way I see it, Twilight shouldn't be a princess.

I think that if the Mane 6 eventually die, the elements would be passed on to... I don't know, their offspring or relatives or closest (younger) friends.

• 1 month later...

@@Commander_PonyShep,

Hello there. Your topic was concerned with how Alicorn Twilight and released information concerning it will influence the sort of fanfics the community will write (specifically whether people will write stories featuring the Mane Six being immortal), so for convenience your thread has been merged with an older topic for general speculation on how Alicorn Twilight will influence fanfics.