Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things that were cool then but considered obsolete by todays standards.

ColtofPersonality

Flip phones. I remember those being the shit, but now if you were to take one to my school, you'd both strange looks and some laughs from people.

• Brohoof 1

Haha... Eighties child here, so practically everything I remember being cool back then is now obsolete! Well, cept when there's an Eighties revival, that is. :P If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google is your friend. XD

* Flourescent socks. The fashionable way to wear them was a different colour on each foot.

* Global Hypercolour t-shirts. These t-shirts changed colour in the heat, so everypony could see where you were sweating.

* He-man and She-ra. Seriously would kill for a FiM style revamp. XD

* Fraggle Rock. Best. Show. Ever.

* Sweet Valley High. Plus all the various spin-offs. There was even a TV show!

* Leg warmers. When these made a comeback, I loled.

Late 80s child. I still have the VHS tapes of old cartoons like He-Man and She-Ra and some action figures aswell! I went back to my box of treasures and I found something that beats Pokemon Cards/Yu-Gi-Oh and all that fun stuff.

omg_pogs.jpg

POGS!!!!

Edited by GolgoXIII
  • Brohoof 2

You gotta remember. tomagochi pets. Everyone used to collect those things. Kids would keep it attached to their bags at school and carry them everywhere they go.

attachicon.giforiginal.jpg

And they'd go off in class and went to be fed or cleaned up after! And if the teacher confiscated it til the end of the day it would die >.< My buzz lightyear one was the first I got.

I HATE the word obsolete!  Hate it, hate it, hate it!  Things don't change, they're the same as they've always been, and it's totally possible for people to get the same enjoyment out of them.  People say turn based rpgs are obsolete.  That's a GENRE.  That's like saying horror or fantasy is obsolete.  People only hate old graphics because TVs have gotten WAY TOO BIG!  In every era of gaming, there are games with good graphics and games with bad graphics.  Any problems something has now, it had when it came out too.  I like tank controls in old school survival horror games way way better than modern fps controls.  Tank controls aren't dated, people just aren't used to them! 

Nothing is obsolete, just different.

Edited by Dr. Eggnog
  • Brohoof 1

well i was in school i had a pen that had 4 colors in it. red blue green and black. i can tell you that when ever i pulled that out in class every one wanted to borrow my pen.... please tell me in not the only one who thinks that it was cool

I HATE the word obsolete!  Hate it, hate it, hate it!  Things don't change, they're the same as they've always been, and it's totally possible for people to get the same enjoyment out of them.  People say turn based rpgs are obsolete.  That's a GENRE.  That's like saying horror or fantasy is obsolete.  People only hate old graphics because TVs have gotten WAY TOO BIG!  In every era of gaming, there are games with good graphics and games with bad graphics.  Any problems something has now, it had when it came out too.  I like tank controls in old school survival horror games way way better than modern fps controls.  Tank controls aren't dated, people just aren't used to them! 

Nothing is obsolete, just different.

Dude, I didn't mean to rustle your jimmies there man. This is an appreciation thread if anything.  I just finished beating Ducktails on my NES and cried manly nostalgic tears seeing those 8bit pixels from my childhood.

• Brohoof 1

I had a Moto Razr. I had pogs. Don't really know why I had pogs, I just did. All I did was collect them. Never really played with them. The original Power Rangers toys and megazords. Me and my brother still have all the original megazords except for Titanus. We even have the megazord from turbo force. We probably have all the cards from the movie if we combined our card collections. I just don't know if he still has his. We were huge power rangers fans when we were kids. Let us not forget VHS', Vinyl records, CD's (now that everything is digital). CRT Monitors, Tube TV's. So many memories.

All nintendo systems. (Before the wii if course... the wii sucks anyway.)

I play the NES , super nintendo, and nintendo64 far more than I play any other new system. I dont even consider them obsolete! They offer more fun than ANY other system today.

I still remember my game boy color..I was 11 years old and everybody had them and I wanted one more then anything and kept begging my mom for one.  So come my 12th birthday I come home from school and my mom says to me. " can I talk to you for a second.." I felt my heart sink to the bottom of my chest. Normally she'd start my groundings off with phrase " They only had teal."  Best birthday present ever although the battery pack I had for it malfunctioned and leaked battery acid into it thus making it unusable.

Webkinz were super cool to my peers when I went to acting classes. And 3 years later, in 2010, the fad was Silly Bandz. I don't know anyone who is crazy about either anymore, but they were the **** back then. You were nothing if you didn't have Webkinz, or Silly Bandz, and the worst thing was, that girls were trading Silly Bandz on the softball field. And they were STILL better at softball than I was.

Edited by DreamingOfParadise

Haha I had one when I was at college. XD My entire class had them; the tutor said he felt as tho he was a primary school teacher rather than a college tutor.

Forget the four colour pen... when I was a kid, I had THIS pen:

http://www.bizrice.com/upload/20111221/eight_color_ball_point_pen_seven_color.jpg

Cept my pen had twelve different colours. XD Came really in handy when it came to making biro tattoos.

There was also friendship bracelets, which we all had kits to make them; Spirograph (just what use are the pictures, anyway?) and skipping rope rhymes.

Edited by Pripyat Pony

• 9 months later...

@, Haha, you are but a child to me! I remember cassette and record players! And videos. And the days when if you wanted to watch a movie, you had to go to the cinema then wait for one year til it was released on video and two years til it was shown on TV. Cinemas also had intervals in the middle where you could go to the loo or buy yet more sweets. I remember going to the cinema to watch She-ra: Secret Of The Sword, Carebears Movie and My Little Pony: The Movie... and my brothers whining cuz my mum took them to see an alternative movie and I came along too, which meant that I got to see two movies and they only got one. XD

Also... popping candy that was so violent, it felt as tho a gun was going off in your mouth. Panda drinks which were brightly coloured and chock full of sugar and chemicals. Going to the sweet shop with twenty pence to buy a Curly Wurly for ten pence, and twenty half penny sweets with the rest of the money. Getting a ten pound note for your birthday, and feeling like the richest kid ever! And then having to write a thank you letter to the relative who gave you the money. Playing games outside; street football, wolves and deer (kinda like a mixture between tag and hide and seek, where the deer who was on foot had twenty seconds to go and hide before the wolves mounted on bikes came after them. If the deer made it back home without being caught, they won. If the wolves caught the deer, they won.), Polo, hopscotch. Going down to the playing field and going on the adventure playground. Making forts out of fallen branches and pretending they were houses. Being rationed on TV time, and there were only three channels anyway (four when channel 4 came along!) Having a TV that was about a quarter of the size of most people's TVs today, and not caring cuz we didn't know any better. XD

Lol... makes me feel old when I hear people talking about stuff from the 90s back when they were kids. :P

iTXVVYx.jpg

Those hats were fashionable back in the day.

rlL1VTo.jpg

Also, do you remember the good ol' days when those newfangled smoke-guzzling metal monsters weren't always clogging up the streets of New York City?
No thanks, Henry Ford, my carriage and horses are all I need for quality transportation.

Edited by Myek
  • Brohoof 2

Gameboy Advanced was the shit when I was a kid. We'd crowd around the kids that had one like parasites. Now, I don't even think kids would know what one was.

Flip phones. EVERYBODY had one, and you got laughed at when you had a dinky little Nokia like I did. Now, all the phones look exactly the same and there's no stylization whatsoever. Same with cars, for that matter.

Pokemon cards (yes children, Pokemon came in cards at one point). The bigger collection you had, the cooler you were. I remember my elementary school had to ban them because kids were getting trampled in the hall whenever they dropped we one.

Robo-Puppy. Heh, anybody remember robo-puppy? That was THE hottest toy when I was a kid. Now, kids barely even play with toys anymore. It's all about video games.

Definitely Pokemon. My brother (21 now) used to tell me and my other brother all about Pokemon and give us the games. All of his friends would come over and they'd play it too. According to him, everyone at school played Pokemon back when he was in school. Now a Pokemon is considered nerdy and weird for middle/high schoolers to play.

Portable CD players are what come to mind.

Although, I feel no sadness that they have gone obsolete. MP3 players couldn't have made them any more obsolete. I remember bringing my portable CD player and my LARGE case of CDs on trips and repeating the same songs over and over again and then switching out CDs. lol

The only thing I think they have over MP3 players (in terms of the long trips I mentioned above) was that they ran on changeable batteries, so if they ran out on the trip, you just pop in more batteries and you're ready to listen again. With MP3 players, they have to be charged. =/

My brother still has his Nintendo 64 and Playstation 1 that we sometimes play when we are in the mood. You know what the best part of these two consoles are? The games can still hold up to today's games. Heck, I just find some of them to be plain better than some games of today.