• Greatest Music Ever
    • Really good music.
    • Not bad, but not my favorite
    • Not Terrible, but not my thing.
    • Just dont like it.

this is techno:

this is dubstep:

not exactly similar, are they?

how is it 'not real'? and frankly, why do you disregard it as 'not having instruments', for?

from wikipedia it says: "A musical instrument is a device created or adapted for the purpose of making musical sounds. In principle, any object that produces sound can serve as a musical instrument—it is through purpose that the object becomes a musical instrument."

you're perfectly capable being able to produce sound with synthesizers, drumkits, samples, and using tracking, sequencing or modulation softwares on a computer, are you not? therefor, they are just as much instruments as anything you regard as being instruments. thus, you're being very ignorant referring to these tools as not instruments because, well, they ARE instruments, just more digital and electronic ones.

First of all I agree with you that tecno is nothing like Dubstep I said that before too I am not sure where you got the feeling that I think they are similar

and

I never though of it like this to be truthfull(I didnt actually knwow that that was the definition of a musical instrument) you make a good point about it if you see it from that point of view that I cannot actually fight against without sounding stupid

First of all I agree with you that tecno is nothing like Dubstep I said that before too I am not sure where you got the feeling that I think they are similar

and

I never though of it like this to be truthfull(I didnt actually knwow that that was the definition of a musical instrument) you make a good point about it if you see it from that point of view that I cannot actually fight against without sounding stupid

erm, that first part might be my fault. YOU never said that thing about techno and dubstep, but you seemed to agree with whoever it was that DID say it was so, and so i brought it upon you to explain why they are not that similar. i apologize for that.

and it's nice to see that i have enlightened you in the subject about instruments. don't worry about how you sounded like when you said that, you just didn't know about this before, but now you do, so everything's good, right? i'm just glad i was able to enlighten you about this thing. :)

Like one of these:

-snip-

I actually own one.

that is so fucking rad.

I think dubstep in techno is similar to screaming in rock. It's something that can be highly effective in small doses, but doesn't work as full songs, Alex S.-ish techno shows the small toses I'm talking about, not overdoing the wub wub.

But that's just, uh, like, my opinion man.

Edited by Indigo

Hmm..well I used to listen to dubstep while playing Minecraft, but lately I have been listening to Trance because it's that awesome. (: Otherwise I listen to everything but country.

I never understood the hate for country, sure there's crap like Nickelback, but what about the good artists? I, for one, LOVE Johnny Cash.

I never understood the hate for country, sure there's crap like Nickelback, but what about the good artists? I, for one, LOVE Johnny Cash.

WHO DOESN'T LOVE JOHHNY CASH!?

Tbh it's all opinion..... Different genres appeal different people. I like dubstep, consequently they're some bad dubstep songs and some good. It's all the matter of time on finding the right songs. :)

Dubtrot for the WIN. I'm so glad ponies introduced it to me. I've always liked electro/synthesized music (I like the way it feels in my ears, if that makes sense) and my first sense in music is rhythm, so dubstep/trot is really right up my alley. ^^

Edited by Squeaker

Okay, my first thing with dubstep is that it's not its own genre. Just because you get steamy with your modulator doesn't mean you made a new kind of music, pal. You made techno house dance music shit on Frooty Loops like every other "artist" out there. I'm not impressed. It's just too damn easy. At the very least try spinning a turntable if you want to earn the credit you take for your work. Sampling and adding drums and wubwubbing your bass wave is not a challenge, kids. I know everybody says it, too, but Skrillex can eat a bag of dicks. I've actually heard from an enterprising buddy who met him that he's a self-absorbed emo-style-melodramatic jackhole - crappy music notwithstanding.

I've never really been into it until I started listening to pony music. Not saying I disliked it, I pretty much like every genre of music. My ponies playlist has a load of dubstep remixes and I'm really enjoying it now.

I love it, but I also listen to other song genres such as metal/screamo, rap, rock, classical, punk, techno, trance, and the nowadays genres. ( I basically listen to all genres, besides country, but I don't hate!

I don't even consider Dubstep music.

All music is music, what's music in your opinion?

Edited by Vinyl

Like someone else posted before (just saw it, can't think of who it was) I listen too all music. Dubstep (and country) are no exception. If I hear a song and I like the beat/vocals/premise, I'll get it and listen to it. End of story. Of the dubstep I've listened to, I prefer Excision, Downlink and Datsik. I'll throw up a korn song with Excision and Downlink to munch on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnh5rxprC30&feature=related

Favorite off their album :D

I like a lot of music, but I can't say I pull a Fluttershy and love everything. Metal and hardcore are still number one in my heart. It's still like pulling teeth for me to listen to mainstream country or top 40 radio.

I didn't used to like electronic music other than a few Cascada songs and Gunther. Ponies changed that right quick, as it seems to be the de facto music the fandom produces. Not to mention a few people here (Mostly Viscra and Swoop) threw good music in Viscra's Electronic thread and got me into it.

Edited by Crispy

Gotta agree on this. I've never bothered to listen to Johnny Cash, but I don't get all the hate. Sure, I don't like a lot of it, but there are some that I do like. Is that so wrong apparently?

Dubstep goes the same way, though for that I understand the hate. .-.

Dubstep is alright, but some of the people that listen to it and usually go around to different genres of electronic music (Progressive House for example) and are like "This is really bad dubstep man no wub" that's when i just smack my head against my desk lol

Edited by Muffin

I know I will never convince those of you who like dubstep to not like it. I really do understand. But I feel this feeling boiling inside me, like you're just not understanding. Like you've been breathing toxic air your whole life and don't understand that the air is cleaner everywhere else, and you refuse to step away from it. I feel like I'm talking to those people whose sole music tastes come from the top 40 pop and rap hits. Dubstep does not deserve your affection; not nearly as much as other artists who really put some effort and heart into their work and aren't just toying with synth settings. I won't try to say it's because of the way its made, or who makes it. It's because every song sounds the same and that song is not very good. You are listening to a perversion of music. You are wasting your time and your appreciation on pabulum. I only say this because music runs in my blood. I tune instruments by ear and play a few of them, too. (not trying to brag, just giving you a sense of where I'm coming from.) Dubstep is not the only form of music that sucks this bad, but it's the most prominent in society.

Edit: Please read the following section as if I am feeling regretful rather than obstinate, as that is what I intended.

I can't even listen to most pony fan music because I already know how the song is going to go if it's dubstep - starts in with synth build up, maybe some modulation on "somepony in a sample talking" repetitively... drums are used sparingly here, but become more present as the intensity builds, then at the last second the instruments drop out for a quick "talking sample" then BASSDROPwubwubwubwub wik-wik-wik-wik-wik-wik wowww wowww wu-wu-wu-wu-wu. Am I very far off? How is that fun or interesting or new or original?

Edited by Cosmic Charlie