Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP FIM really THAT powerful?

Tacit Moon

It's not just the show. the show by itself is pretty standard with it's morals. It's the community that revolves around it that emphasizes these things, and these teaching. It makes those changes stick.

at least that's what it is for me.

Edited by Barbossa
  • Brohoof 12

Uh... the numerous spaces in between just make it so hard to read everything at once and it hurts my head. o.o Sorry about that.

Anyway, what I think is that this may be true. I mean, seriously. Everyone I know who watches MLP seems to be really kind and actually do take the lessons from the show and try to apply it in their lives. Not really everybody will get affected, but there will be definitely at least some people that will take this seriously.

For personal experience, MLP did change my life slightly. I did use a couple lessons in the show to place it in my essays or in my life which has really helped me become a better person.

Who knows? It really does vary from one person to another.

• Brohoof 8

If you've watched the brony documentary, there were some guys who had different lives before they've watched MLP. I honestly don't think it's just the show, but mostly the community. 

For me, I guess MLP has changed my life a bit, not too much or too big of a change but it would have definitely been different if I didn't watch it.

• Brohoof 3

My life and attitude changed a bit with the show. I find the characters relateable and they motivate me in different things( RBD in sports, Aj when it comes to work, Twi for studying, Rares for creativity,...).

So for me the show is a bigger factor than the community, because I feel very inspired by it

Things are as powerful as you make them. If someone finds a lot of meaning to MLP, then yes, it is of course a very powerful show to them. Some people just consider it a fun kid's show and aren't affected by it much. And that's fine too. It seems silly to me to force people to all get the same exact experience out of watching a show.

• Brohoof 5

I think the thing that changes peoples lives is the community, paired with the show.  People will look to things in times of need, and well MLP came at the right time.  

Edited by Dusty Soul
  • Brohoof 2

I feel like it can be powerful, but it is also overglorified way to much. When people are like "LOVE AND TOLERATE THIS SHOW IS WHAT GOD WATCHES BRONIES ARE A CULTURAL MOVEMENT watchtgisshowwatchthisshowwatchthisshow!!", that annoys me. It is a great show, and it heps us meet new people. It brings us closer together. I feel like it makes us happier, and makes us appreciate the little things. But that's about all.

Edited by Betez
  • Brohoof 2

Aye. I think so. Actually, the morale doesn't teach me something new since I got my revelation before I started watching ponies. What makes me stay watching this show until now is the morale though. It restores my hope that somewhere out there, the next generation has a good learning source so they won't become this kind of garbage you call modern people.

Also, the show is very funny, the pictures are adorable, and I love the characters because of their unique personalities.

I have to admit that MLP also has had an influence on my outlook in life.  I try to take the lessons implemented in the show and use it to direct my behavior in society as well.  As our beloved ponies learn life lessons, we may not be aware that we are learning too. It's an adorable and upbeat show most of the time, so it makes sense that being a fan and simply watching the show can lift dampened spirits and lives.  The effect of MLP would certainly differ from person to person, so depending on how avid of a fan you might be, the show can definitely change your life.  I'm sure many people are aware of all the fan-art and fan-music out there for MLP.  And all of the separate projects too (which were shut down by Hasbro...Guhhhh.) Being a fan motivates people to mesh their talents with their interests.  Hell, I would have never improvised a template for origami ponies if I didn't have something like MLP to drive origami towards. 

I want to believe that it's just the delightful-ness of the show that can snap people out of bad habits, or promote good ones.  When we watch this cartoon, we are taken to Equestria, a wonderful, harmonious place under the watchful eyes of two of the coolest princesses ever.  Good deeds and behavior are encouraged and lessons learned from mistakes are actually taken to heart.  At the end of the day, those with good behavior are rewarded and those with bad are taken care of in a peaceful manner, which usually leads to another lesson learned.  What we see is something so serene and innocent, that when we compare it to the corrupted society we live in, Equestria is perfection.

Maybe this is sort of why people sweep some of their bad habits under the rug when they become fans of MLP.  By improving one's self, they can make a step towards what it might feel like in Equestria; something I'm sure any fan of the show could only dream.  Life in Equestria really does shimmer and life in Equestria really does shine.

Edited by LunaEclipse
  • Brohoof 3

It really does depend on the kind of person you are. For me, I have become a little more happy and not as sad as I usually am, about this show. My life would probably not be the same without Friendship Is Magic. I just love everything about it from the show to the relatable characters to the fellow Brony Community in general.

I can absolutely confirm that MLP can help to overcome addiction from personal experience.  It's not a definitive miracle cure obviously, but it's something that can motivate one to become a better person.  It becomes a replacement to the addiction; something to do instead of that which you are addicted to that doesn't make you hate yourself later.  If you let it help you, then it will help you.  Like others have said, it all depends on the person watching.

• Brohoof 3

Before FiM I was a very cold, untrusting, quiet person, and I very seldom interacted with other people. FiM has since made me more social, approachable, and just all around happier.

If you approach the show with an open mind, and no unrealistic expectations, it can do wonders. Despite what some rabid fans say, there isn't a whole lot beyond what it sounds like: a cartoon about cute, cartoon ponies. But, the show has taught me many things, and improved my outlook on life.

I for one, would be the first to say that My Little Pony has taught me one thing above all else:

Friendship is Magic.

• Brohoof 2

I had, once, with another caring friend, convinced our third friend(I still play games with him and he's still a favourite chat for fun topics) to quit smoking over time.

I believe MLP can have similar effects to certain people.

It's great enough to encourage entire communities of different people to come together in a civil manner to enjoy it.

Why not?

I'm more to heavy-motivator shows like TTGL and other widely-acclaimed and insanely motivational series, though I firmly believe in my previous statement.

• Brohoof 1

MLP has filled a gap in my life, to point where I wonder what i'd be doing right now if i didn't have it to draw on. I feel it's made me a MORE optomistic person, made me to find a more positive feeling about the importance of gender equality, made me feel like i have a creative output to make music about the show and support the amazing visual art behind it, and I've gotten to know a lot of cool new people.  It's allowed to have much more of a personal mantra on how i deal with others, peace, love, unity, and respect. It's also given me something to be very active in with blogs, music, and art to the point that my days off are another job.

It's not all roses though....  I feel like people in other online communities look down at my being a brony and avoid me being public about it, i generally hide it away from my RL friends because it is something I'm likely a bit too old for and they wouldn't understand. I find it very frustrating fitting into the community muscially (i can't tell you how many times i've been frustrated by being shot down submitting to EQD) or because I'm from an older age group. I also feel like this whole community can be very unsatisfying in that while i may have a decent amount of subscribers I just don't seem to bond a whole lot with my peers. Either they're much more focused on the "i'm a serious musician" snobbery that's so prevalent within the community, I'm just too isolating myself in group conversations, or i just still have a ways to grow to where I'll be "respected" in the same way. There's so many great musicians that it's easy to feel overlooked, underappreciated, and unloved.

Either way i wish i could tap into more of this "friendship is magic" rather than feel like I'm missing in on it through closer relationships. It also doesn't change the fact that the world can be a terrible place and hiding in the MLP fanbase as a way of finding happiness isn't a refuge and doesn't stop the rest of the world from being what it is and having to deal with that on a daily basis.

Speaking personally as someone who has had some life-altering epiphanies thanks to being here, I think what really inspired me wasn't the show, but rather the community. Sure, the show is pretty uplifting, but the emotional support of the community is what is really the most powerful force.

• Brohoof 3

Like I've said before, I think it's more a catalyst, we already had these traits and the show a community just helped bring them out. Sometimes all it takes to better someone's life is a sense of belonging, a reason to shed their cynicism and start trying to make the world a better place, and that's what they find when they "join the herd" 

• Brohoof 2

The show itself is one thing I think, but the people behind it are truly inspiring, and ofcourse the fandom is so loving and caring that it changes you completely, it sure changed me entirely. I've become an even more random and crazy person haha and that's a good thing! 
I'm proud of being a part of this incredible fandom! 

• Brohoof 3

I think so, I think while it can be a combination of things, or it may not even affect you all that much, so it depends on your situation and how you feel about it, but I think the show can be quite powerful.

I'm not totally sure why, but theres no rejecting the fact that people's lives have been saved by the show, maybe its the innocence of the show, maybe its how you open your mind to it and it encourages you to try other things, maybe its inspirational because of the characters and their awesome relatable qualities and the ways they still have their own flaws they overcome. Maybe its because the show just has these adorable characters that brighten up your day. Maybe its just relaxing and even relives stress which in turn reduces depression to just watch MLP some and its such a wonderful show. Maybe it brings up childhood memories, or seeing the characters in the show overcome their big problems inspires others, maybe people decide to take the morals up slowly even if they don't realize it.

I could go on and on about all the different reasons that are possible and maybe the answer, but really I think its different for each person, some people have more power in this show because maybe they where going through a dark time and MLP helped them feel better. The show has made me happier overall and less depressed, whether I admit it or not. And I'm sure it has changed me other ways aswell.

But I think the strongest factor of the show is actually the community, the bronies. Seriously we're like one of the biggest fandoms around, and the majority of us are really really nice, it gives people a safe environment of people who they know care for each other, it brings people hope for society by seeing this community of loving and caring people from every corner of the earth of all races, beliefs, and everything in between. We all come together and accept each others differences because of one common thing, the TV show MLP.

I think its safe to say the community can do some amazing things, especially on things like life advice forums where I visit a good bit(Less then I use to which I'm working on improving but still) you see people helping people constantly, and heck they don't even know that person that well, yet I bet alot of people who know these people wouldn't even help them, yet our community does, and we don't judge them either.

It can also be inspirational to see creations by others, fanart, music, animations, parodies, fanfics, and everything in between can inspire others to do all kinds of things. The passion flowing from this community can be quite astounding really. It can inspire people to chase a passion of their own.

Whether its the actual show, the community, or a combination of both, its safe to say MLP has changed lives. And its a truly wonderful show to do such a thing. Even if it doesn't have the affect on everyone to the same degree theres no denying that MLP has changed people for the better. :)

• Brohoof 4