Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP FIM really THAT powerful?

Tacit Moon

Yes, I honestly do believe it's that powerful. I mean, take those bronies who were depressed. Just by watching this awesome, innocent fun-loving show, it can really make you happy. The show is just so good in it's own way....it does change people. Some people are taking those lessons to heart, and applying them to real life. It just proves how MLP can change a person. 

The community is also filled with loving and caring people. We accept one another, and seeing all of these people care for each other, it just makes you so glad seeing everyone so enthusiastic about it. Although it may not look like it, MLP is pretty powerful. It can change you in unexpected ways...and it teaches you about friendship, and how important friends are in your life. Kinda makes you realize how lucky you are to have friends around you. :)

Pokemon has the same influence. It makes me want to be a better person, and to enjoy life for what it is. So yeah. Especially being around a nice brony community...it just makes me even more proud to be a brony. :D

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 2

The viewpoint that a kid's show, of all things, is unlikely to have such a massive impact does have some foundation, but I reckon for most people who've truly had life-changing moments from this is because they never expected a playful show full of pastel-coloured ponies eating cupcakes and singing songs to do it. It's the leap from finding sanctuary in some complex philosophy to finding it in something so simplistic that creates the impact. In a way it's dual purpose. People get whatever they get (cure for depression, being happier, etc) but they also get something else - the idea that you can do whatever the fuck you want to, and watching My Little Pony is no exception!

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, MLP FiM is really powerful. It has a huge community and fanbase, reminds you of old cartoons with colorful graphics and talking characters. Even if it is a kid show, it is pretty inspiring and addictive.

• Brohoof 2

I pretty much just watched the show to get a break from the newer cartoons that suck.  After watching all of my old favorite cartoons, I turned to this for a bit.

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 2

The show is def. wonderful and I have to say after become a fan of the show I have changed several ways for the better as well. The has good messages that anyone of all ages can learn from. But the thing that got me the most were the fans of the show and how awesome they are.

Last 4 were probably humor or coincidences. Okay, last 5. Still, if someone was moved enough by ponies, they could definitely improve their life a big deal. It's not the "instant perfection of everything yay* the world wishes for, but Celestia knows, it makes a difference. I personally have learned a lot from it, inderectly, and directly, but it'll take time to get each and every morale/lesson really in my head. Part of why we're a hated fandom is because people overdo the whole "ERMAHGERD BEST SHOW EVER EVERYBODY SHOULD WATCH IT YAY" thing, which is what some of those quotes in your first post were. Partially, because not everypony really takes the morales to heart, or is too eager to express everything.

So to answer your question (after making a horribly organized mini rant about it) mostly. It's not a huge life changer, but it's still up there in terms of power.

I think of it this way, the show itself dosen't solve peoples problems but it does help make them feel a bit better and some of the lessons in the show might lead people to take the necessary steps to solve their problems. And with some people it reminds them that life is not all doom and gloom which is something we all need a reminder of every now and then.

• Brohoof 2

Now, I am not one of those people who was so moved by the show that it changed me. Before I knew about MLP, I was already living a good and happy life that didn't really need any significant changing other than the natural state of growing up each and every day if I could.

But that's partly because of my age, maturity level, and blessed background as a person. My life has sucked in moments, but I have moved beyond those moments and by God's strength became the person that I was before MLP came into my life, as well as after.

But I am a huge fan of MLP anyways. That's because while they show hasn't changed me, it has helped reinforce what I already know in life, and it is a positive constant in my life right now. It isn't the only positive constant, but I have always been a fan of cartoons and I will never stop being a cartoon fan, so it only makes sense for me to be drawn to MLP.

OP, I can understand your cynicism. I know several people who would probably feel the same as you. But I am going to have to trust other people's experiences on this one. If someone felt like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic had a huge impact on their life, then who am I to pass judgment and claim that they didn't really have a life-changing experience? Sure, it may sound strange that a cartoon could do such a thing. And I don't think that most people would claim that MLP was a miracle worker that changed everything in life. But MLP is one of those small blessings that help you see life in a different and better light. And I don't see how that can't help.

• Brohoof 3

MLP hasn't really turned my life around - it's moreso guinea pigs in my case, the little critters have worked wonders in giving me a source of comfort - but that being said the community did bring me to start accepting who I was without being so worried rather than acting like someone I wasn't just to feel accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it MADE anyone do anything, it's a TV show. If someone was affected that way it is because they wanted to be. MLP only brought out the better person inside them or made them decide that life was too good to waste or throw away, but I don't think it forced them to do anything. I doubt if you showed a cold-blooded murderer or serial killer My Little Pony that he would become an amazing person that donates all their money to charities and starts picket lines protesting wars. 

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Like I had told before that both the show and the community had made my life happier.

The show gives me the same joy of shows I had been grown with as a kid in the 1970s, and I haven't seen any better fanart since The Lion King fandom existed.

Before the show I sometimes refused to go to work and went to spam and fight on other forums and chats where I got banned.

Edited by Ulrik Raben

I love you so much, OP. 

Warning: Below is a highly unpopular opinion in this thread, so watch your jimmies :3

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a cartoon show for children. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. 

I asked myself many times why people are so attached to the show; so attached, in fact, that some of them wish to have...stuff with a pony. 

The answer varies between many people, and I understand, too. I mean, there is definitely a reason why this cartoon show about colorful ponies is so popular, right? It probably opened up nostalgic memories of childhood when your parents and peers taught you the exact same lessons. Unfortunately, their lessons don't seem to have the power to cure cancer.

For example...there was a story, someone who decided to commit suicide, but watched the show and said it was so powerful it caused them to change their mind completely. Forgive me if I sound heartless for saying this, but that seems...well, too farfetched. It rather disgusts me that people do not keep in mind the lessons their parents and peers taught them, but they do keep lessons from a cartoon show.

In short: I do not believe MLP:FiM is a show that can cause my mom's business arguments with her coworkers to cease. Obviously, the power of this show varies between each person, but if I ever hear another story about how ponies have turned a cruel person into a kindly saint...

Edited by Manaphy
  • Brohoof 4

First of all, I liked how you italicized and bolded words to get your point across. Bueno~ Secondly, after thinking about what you have said, I don't think it is so much because of the show itself. A lot of people, I think, have become open more friendly or had more friends because of the generally positive attitude of the brony community. Even though this communitiy stems from the show itself, I think interacting with others who like the show is what made such a positive change to individuals. One of the biggest change I have heard of people's claims was that they used to have very little friends, but after they watched the show they have a healthier social life. So, this is pretty much my point. Lives have changed because bronies are such nice peoplelaugh.png Brohoof spam /)/)/)/)/)/)/)*((yeah!)

I've heard many stories about how it saved many lives, pulled people out of depression, and prevented suicide, but nothing about dogs teaching Latin.

Also, it's scientifically proven that you'll be hooked after watching the show no matter what.

Don't take it the wrong way, but you say -Buffy- of all things changed your life and then seem to be amazed or having a hard time believing that MLP could really do anything major for anyone?

Apart from that, it's not only the show itself, it's the community and the controversy just as well. If you are in a group that gets a lot of shi... erm, hate, it tends to make "bonding" with others a lot simpler. So, consider it, it's a nice, happy show about a world many people would like to live in with a community of (generally) openminded and friendly people and if you combine the two, it can be pretty powerful.

So yeah, it can change people.

Oh dear.. I seem to have made a mistake here.

I think that some people have gotten it in their heads that I don’t think that MLP can have an actual effect on people.

I apologize for that.

I do think that MLP is a show that can have a powerful impact on people.

I guess my use of sarcasm and hyperbole were a little much.

Again, I apologize. My intention was not to attack said idea, but rather to pose the question in a way that made people think about the answer. Perhaps I tried to play to the other side of the argument a little much. I think it mostly worked though.

Go MLP! Great show. Great community. There’s another comment I made a few comments up that explains my view a little more.

Oh. And don’t be baggin on buffy now.  That was just great! wink.png

Well, I have not read trough the three pages of comments, just your initial post, just in case you already explained, sorry.

But I didn't though you're "attacking" MLP or such, it's just that the overall feeling I got after reading the post was "Is that really possible? I don't think so.", so I'm just saying that it is possible but for most people who got "affected" in any significant way, it's probably not just the show, but the show AND all the stuff it eventually inspired, be it community, art, music...

And even just the show alone has some magical properties, I mean, watch a few episodes and I dare you to be depressed or stressed out after that laugh.png

And Buffy, I don't know, I never liked that show, no particular reason, I suspect I somehow dislike the main actress. Liked Angel tho. tongue.png

@TheBigBadMoon: To answer your question, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has changed my life seemingly for the better and nothing else. To further prove my point, I was dealing with a lot of things that involve my personal life and the choices I was making. I was beginning to binge drink due to mild depression of not being able to find a job out here in California and stay up until 10:00 AM until I would pass out from peer exhaustion. With no job, living in the middle of the desert (literally) with my sister, and not having my parents and just recently having been cheated on by my ex-girlfriend I really wasn't doing too well and negative thoughts of my abusive past started to flare up. I was beginning to feel worthless and useless and like a freeloader. Then, I came across the show and I have to say it is the most refreshing thing I've seen in the last few years concerning fandoms. Being open-minded, the stigma didn't bother me one bit and the lessons that are taught become minor to increasingly significant as you delve deeper into the series. It is all a matter of perspective but in the end, you decide whether or not someone has helped or hindered you. And all I can say is thank you Hasbro and thank you to everyone involved in MLP:FIM because as a new member into adulthood it keeps my spirits up and reminds me why I want to keep doing what I'm doing and why good things are worth fighting for. I now have a job and I'm in college, an active fan of the series and a MUCH happier individual then I was 2-3 years ago. That's my story, I hope it helped. Thank you for reading and much love everyone <3

• 3 weeks later...

The show is the show, but it's the community that makes the morals real. if you watched the show and never said or heard a word about it, I think that the differences in how it changed people would be very noticeable. So is MLP that powerful? With a little bit of help from an amazing community, I'd like to think it could be.

In my experience yes I think it's a powerful show. It has really helped me to appreciate my friendships and friends better. I also have a better outlook on life.