Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilicorn  

959 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Every time I reply to something like this, I feel like what I think has already been said.  I'll write anyway...

I suppose I'm on the indifferent side.  When Princess Twilight was revealed, I was apprehensive at most.  The Finale, while it did feel rushed, wasn't bad in my opinion, and now I think it gives season 4 a lot of potential.  I'm sure there are tons of good ideas for character development for all the characters in the show, not just Twi, who are learning what to do about this change.  Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't bad ideas as well.  Really, I'm probably just rambling, because I have no idea what's going to happen in season 4.

The only thing that bugs me is what was the deal with Starswirl's spell?  Is it what made Twilight an alicorn?  Was it a final test issued by Celestia to see if she was ready to be a princess?  And if the latter is true, what did the completed spell exactly do?  I mean the incomplete spell switched everypony's cutie marks, but the only change that occurred for the finished spell was Twi's wings.

26318863.jpg

Please, someone tell me. :/

I'm indifferent. As long as they don't change her character in a way that makes the show worse, I'm fine with it. But if she distances herself more from her friends because of this whole new job of hers, I might not be so happy.

• Brohoof 1

I chose no because to "support" her being an alicorn is going beyond accepting the change. I didn't like the idea before and after. But I don't think there's anything wrong with her being recognized for her efforts. She should of changed into Twilicorn as a necessity to save her friends or something and should of taken weeks of studying and training.

• Brohoof 2

I dont mind the alicorn twilight but I was shocked when i found out what they did to her and it had me worried for the fandom. Now I dont care but I want to know whats going to happen to the rest of the series. :huh:

I voted no.  And I know I earlier said I should withhold judgment until I see season 4.  But lately, I just don't like the whole thing.  On the one hand, I want to see a twist in the next two episodes that returns her to being a unicorn.  On the other hand, I think that reverting Twilight now would send a wrong message to MLP's fans, especially those who do support her as an alicorn.  Also this whole debate has caused a lot of strife in the fandom and has even destroyed a friendship or two.  How ironic considering how MMC was supposed to be all about the power of friendship in the first place. 

This has opened an awful can of worms.  Instead of airing MMC with its original series concluding ending, they should've changed things up.  But I'm not going to give up on MLP:FiM or declare it to have "Jumped the shark" because of this.  The writers did a very good job with the original Mane 6 composition as 2 unicorns, 2 pegasi, and 2 land ponies.  I intend to stick around and see how the new paradigm works. 

Agreed.  I really needed a good cool down period after the episode aired to really gather my thoughts.  At first, I down right hated the idea, and with time, i've come to dislike her ascension, but not to the extent of outright seething hatred like I once held.

I still want to see Twilight revert to a unicorn, yet I must agree with you 100% that if it was done right off the bat in the season opener, this wouldn't be good.  It's doubtful the change would send the wrong message.  In all honesty however, I must concede that it would more than likely create another can of worms scenario where she just "gains powers" and "suddenly loses" them to feel like some cop out scenario.  They could potentially do an episode where Twilight is trying to master some new spell which causes her princess hood to flop around to the other mane6 as part of a "it's not the outside but inside that matters" lesson/moral as each of the mane6 becomes a princess for a short period of time.  I get the feeling this idea wouldn't be well received by fans and won't happen since it would duplicate circumstances/ideas in the MMC episode.  

Not to be a cynical downer, but I do foresee Twilight not being the last of the princesses to be introduced or ascend in the show.  I really get the feeling Hasbro will push extra hard in S4, trying to introduce new princesses since they seem to want as many princesses as Disney, and they are trying to capitalize on the idea that all little girls want to be princesses.  Any female, young or old, that says they don't want to be a princess and want to be something else is wrong. <_<  (Don't really care about that since i'm a guy, but it just irritates me cause it seems so stereotypical.  To have Meghan McCarthy say it on her Twitter feed was kind of a slap in the face, even if she expanded upon her words by saying she wanted to be like Princess Leia from Star Wars.)

• Brohoof 2

I still want to see Twilight revert to a unicorn, yet I must agree with you 100% that if it was done right off the bat in the season opener, this wouldn't be good. It's doubtful the change would send the wrong message. In all honesty however, I must concede that it would more than likely create another can of worms scenario where she just "gains powers" and "suddenly loses" them to feel like some cop out scenario.

If I were a writer on the show (I most certainly am not, nor am I qualified to be one), I'd consider the "revert to unicorn" angle as Twilight sacrificing her new form/status/powers to save or enrich the life of another pony - someone did up a short fan comic that my wife shared with me the other day where Alicorn Twilight encountered a pony in a wheelchair, consulted with Celestia and found that she could cast a spell to help him, but she could only ever do it once and it would be irreversible.  She decides to go for it, casts the spell, and gives her wings to this other pony, effectively transforming him into a pegasus.  And the rest of the Mane 6 "loved her even more because she'd proved it was what's on the inside that counts", or something like that.

It was a really sweet storybook-style comic, and I thought it would make a great storyline that would lend credibility to this scenario.  But I'd also want the storyline to permanently acknowledge that Twilight had ascended - just because she'd have reverted to being a unicorn, doesn't mean she isn't still highly regarded, considered a princess (or at least having the level of respect of one), etc.

I'm rambling a bit, but basically, I would NOT want them to just retcon the whole Twilicorn thing (eg. "It was all just a dream" or something like that - it's been done before, and it SUCKS).  If they choose to keep her as an alicorn, I'm fine with that too so long as they actually take advantage of the opportunity to address the long-term effects of her ascension, both for herself and the Mane 6 as a whole.  I still think they have a lot of room to explore issues of jealousy, remoteness and coping with change as a result of this transformation, and I'll be very happy in Season 4 if they spend at least some time focusing on that.

• Brohoof 2

If I were a writer on the show (I most certainly am not, nor am I qualified to be one), I'd consider the "revert to unicorn" angle as Twilight sacrificing her new form/status/powers to save or enrich the life of another pony - someone did up a short fan comic that my wife shared with me the other day where Alicorn Twilight encountered a pony in a wheelchair, consulted with Celestia and found that she could cast a spell to help him, but she could only ever do it once and it would be irreversible.  She decides to go for it, casts the spell, and gives her wings to this other pony, effectively transforming him into a pegasus.  And the rest of the Mane 6 "loved her even more because she'd proved it was what's on the inside that counts", or something like that.

It was a really sweet storybook-style comic, and I thought it would make a great storyline that would lend credibility to this scenario.  But I'd also want the storyline to permanently acknowledge that Twilight had ascended - just because she'd have reverted to being a unicorn, doesn't mean she isn't still highly regarded, considered a princess (or at least having the level of respect of one), etc.

I'm rambling a bit, but basically, I would NOT want them to just retcon the whole Twilicorn thing (eg. "It was all just a dream" or something like that - it's been done before, and it SUCKS).  If they choose to keep her as an alicorn, I'm fine with that too so long as they actually take advantage of the opportunity to address the long-term effects of her ascension, both for herself and the Mane 6 as a whole.  I still think they have a lot of room to explore issues of jealousy, remoteness and coping with change as a result of this transformation, and I'll be very happy in Season 4 if they spend at least some time focusing on that.

Yea, I saw the comic as well and thought it was quite enduring.  Still sad that it was bashed on EQD as the fanciful tale of an anti-Twilicorn brony. 

I have extreme doubts that Twilight will be reverted to that of a normal unicorn.  It's definitely agreed, at least from my pov, that if they expand upon Twilight's character that has ascended and show her doubts/concerns that are fully realized in S4, opposed to outright "I'm a pretty, pretty princess now, I haven't a care in the world/everything will be fine, and I accept who I am with others doing the same" acceptance, then it will smooth over some things. 

To be brutal and honest, Rainbow Dash's character wasn't right when she said "aw yea, a new flying buddy" as she was all-too-quick to accept Twilight's transformation.  With her character being rather self-centered to add in that spark of uniqueness since she's the element of loyalty, I thought she would say something like "great, another flier. When will AJ, Rarity, and Pinkie get their wings?" in a rather cynical tone.  Also, I really expected her to start talking amongst the others as to how they fit in since Twilight was now 100% royalty since all Alicorns are princesses. 

Sadly, I do expect atleast two, maybe four new princesses to be introduced.  If they were to introduce a non-alicorn princess that would be great, but it's doubtful.  My headcanon is Hasbro dictates that all little girls want to be princesses and special.  Since all princesses shown thus far have been alicorns, a special mix of flight + magic with qualities of all three races, then little girls can relate since alicorns are special and thus princesses are special.  The only non-alicorn princess we have heard/seen is Princess Platinum from Hearths Warming Eve.  Other than that, all princesses thus far shown have been alicorns.  Hearts and Hooves day has a rather interesting problem where the image shows a regular unicorn princess, but the image changes when the CMCs look at the book again, showing a small outline of wings on the character in an expanded image.

Edited by Genepool

To be brutal and honest, Rainbow Dash's character wasn't right when she said "aw yea, a new flying buddy" as she was all-too-quick to accept Twilight's transformation. With her character being rather self-centered to add in that spark of uniqueness since she's the element of loyalty, I thought she would say something like "great, another flier. When will AJ, Rarity, and Pinkie get their wings?" in a rather cynical tone. Also, I really expected her to start talking amongst the others as to how they fit in since Twilight was now 100% royalty since all Alicorns are princesses.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I expect that this is a symptom of the fact that there was just no room to put any sort of complication into the season finale - they crammed two episodes' worth of plot in there, and there was just no time to have the other Mane 5 do anything other than be happy for Twilight.  Even an odd glance at each other, which would have taken just seconds, might have made the episode feel unfinished, though it could also have done more to give it a "stay tuned" feel.

But I'm still reasonably convinced that the episode was also mostly (or even completely) finished when Season 4 was announced, so they probably didn't have time or budget to go and make any major changes to it that would have turned it into a proper cliffhanger.  The Season 4 announcement came so late in Season 3, after all - I'd be willing to bet that the studio didn't have much more lead time on that announcement than we did.

So I rewatched the first two episodes of season 3 and then the last. I have to say, it makes a lot more sense - espeically with Luna waving Star Swirl's book at the end of the 2nd episode. I think the two things that really threw me off was 1) how the next step in twilight's training wasn't mentioned in the bulk of the season. With season 1, the grand galloping galla was brought a few times and it was known from the very beginning that it was going to happen. (It may have been known within the community from the beginning, but I only joined this forum and starting following any real news last week so...) Even just a line or two from Twilight or some pony saying how they wondered what Celestia meant by "the next step in her training". Just a little something to remind us that she would be going further. 2) the fact that she suddenly becomes not only an alicorn, but a princess. I mean I guess this is technically right since her brother married into the royal family and all but I wish they had gone into what being a princess meant earlier on or at least talked a bit about Celestia's role and how she became a princess. 

Anyway, my thoughts. I hope this all makes sense. I kinda pieced it together as I was watching the episodes. I'm sure more will be explained in season 4. 

Not to complain... BRING BACK NORMAL TWI!

My body kept reacting weirdly as that dreaded day came closer and closer...

But Twi is my favorite, and I hope nothing changes, that she stays in Ponyville, and that nopony drops down and bows. Seriously, I'd be creeped out by that.

TwilightxLightning 

The "worst possible thing" they could do would be to change her back. Only the most mediocre shows tries to maintain the status quo.

I for one hope she will stays in Canterlot and prepares for taking on the role of ruler and goddess.

At the finale I want to see her get the flowing mane and I want to see her raise the sun.

I don't mind it at all.... I think it's awesome and she looks super freakin cute! I wanna give her a hug! 

She's a princess now and people should be proud of her instead of hating on it.

I think it's some people that are jealous of someone else being more successful and ascending. 

Instead of being jealous of other's success people should strive to better themselves. I think this is a HUGE problem that humans must get over in order to have nice things. 

Also you can't expect everything to be the same like the simpsons is.... that series never evolves or progresses. If you want a static series watch it and leave MLP alone. 

I am shocked the bronies are mad at her for ascending and becoming a greater being. isn't it all about togetherness and love and acceptance? 
  • Brohoof 4

I could not agree more. People need to shut the hell up and just give Alicorn Twilight a chance. I personally like Alicorn Twilight, and think she looks even better than she did when she was a Unicorn.

• Brohoof 2

Not to change the whole subject here but I doubt people will make me like Twilight as an alicorn. I mean like, it doesn't feel right for her to suddenly transform like that. I like Twilgiht as a regular unicorn and plus, she might not have time to meet her friends with all the royal duties to do.

I know most bronies here are really excited that Twilight's an alicorn so I won't be surprised if they disagree with me.

(edited)

I agree with everything here EXCEPT, the jealousy part.

I hate it when posts like this whether on YT or here, it has something to do with jealousy .

I don't think anybody is jealous of a technicolored pony on a cartoon show growing wings.

I myself like AliTwi, it was just executed in a dumb way...

Edited by Wubsie

(edited)

While I do not really agree with the whole jealousy thing (I do agree with it if it were related to other subjects though), I completely agree with everything else. I already love the many possibilities with Twilicorn. This is now post #DAFUQ of me saying all of this but hey, I am passionate about it. I am also glad that somepony else finally mentions the concept of actually being proud of Twilight and everything she has accomplished. Personally, I love it. 

If you cannot tell, I am in full support.  ^_^

Edited by Kyoshi

I don't mind it at all.... I think it's awesome and she looks super freakin cute! I wanna give her a hug! 

She's a princess now and people should be proud of her instead of hating on it.

I think it's some people that are jealous of someone else being more successful and ascending. 

Instead of being jealous of other's success people should strive to better themselves. I think this is a HUGE problem that humans must get over in order to have nice things. 

Also you can't expect everything to be the same like the simpsons is.... that series never evolves or progresses. If you want a static series watch it and leave MLP alone. 

I am shocked the bronies are mad at her for ascending and becoming a greater being. isn't it all about togetherness and love and acceptance? 

... Yeah, I'm not going to be jealous of a fictional character.  It's not about "togetherness and love and acceptance" it's about writing and story direction.  I feel like the writers have written themselves into a tough situation, where they took a development that was clearly meant a s a series finale moment, and now have to extend things another season.  Now they have to balance how much change they really want to apply- too much may ruin the show, too little make the whole Alicorn ascension completely pointless.

There are really people that are jealous of fictional characters... 

I really hope they have a good balance with the alicorn thing as well.... I'm kinda worried about that. 

I've merged numerous 'My thoughts on Twilicorn' threads, I believe there were four of them, with 'Do You Support Twilicorn - New Poll'. This poll topic more or less asks for your thoughts on Twilicorn; we don't need a bunch of separate topics giving your thoughts. I've merged it all together, and pinned it along with three other relevant topics.

Trying to bring some organizational hierarchy to this cesspool of a forum :P

• Brohoof 2

Twilight hasn't been in the show as an alicorn long enough for me to have a firm opinion. However, I will say, if they manage to tie in her being an alicorn in a way that makes the transformation not completely useless, I have to say, I'll be impressed. This makes me a little tense, because if done right, it could be awesome. But if not done right, it could mean bad things for the show.