Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So I was just wondering if there is proof in the show that says Luna is immortal or is that just a fan thing?

I mostly just ask because everyone is saying now that Twilight is an alicorn she is immortal like Celestia and Luna. But, to what it looks like there is no proof saying that Luna is immortal and only Celestia is immortal. 

Now we don't know how long the 2 ruled Equestria for before Luna turned into Nightmare Moon. If they said something like, The 2 sisters ruled for many years, then I would be fine with that, but they don't give a time. For all we know they only ruled for like 20 or 30 years before Luna tuned into Nightmare Moon. Another thing is NM was sealed in the moon and to me thats someone being sealed away until the seal breaks. Then they come back as they were and have no signs of aging.

As for Celestia, I believe that she gained the power of immortality after using the elements and gained the power of the sun and the moon.  

So what does everyone think?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 3

Is the princess of the night immortal? You know, I've always wondered about that! Let's all go watch Luna and see if she is!

I literally can't wait!

Edited by Circadian

I don't really know about Luna being immortal. All we know about Luna is, she is a god-like powerful alicorn, and is the sister of Celestia. They both ruled Equestria, Luna brings the moon, and well Celestia banishes Luna inside the moon.

• Brohoof 4

Well if Luna isn't immortal (or near-immortal) like her sister, then that's retarded, because they're sisters. You can't have that. It's stupid. Luna is immortal. End story of.

Faust said that Celestia isn't immortal, she just ages a lot slower than most. I'd assume that Luna would age the same way that Celestia does, since they originated from the same place.

LOL Chootie Lightning.

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

No one knows if either Celestia or Luna are immortal yet, though they are definitely god-like as they're the princesses of day and night and lived for over 1000 years. I think it's currently unknown at the moment xP

Although I'm gonna stick with my gut and say they are immortal because I'm not sure who else is going to raise the sun and moon xP

• Brohoof 1

Hm. What Lauren says goes, yet I must say I don't think any other pony could survive living on the moon...

Immortal, maybe not. Powerful, oh yes.

img-1202749-1-68664__safe_princess-luna_

Lurv dah Luna.

Well I don't think Luna/Nightmare Moon was living on the moon. I think she was sealed inside of the moon. If she was just put on the moon she would have just teleported back. 

• Brohoof 2

You've all raised some valid points here.  When Luna was "sealed" inside the moon, she may have been in a state of suspended animation.  No aging at all would have taken place during that span.  So aside from Celestia, we can't be certain that any alicorn possesses extreme longevity 

I also see the word "immortal" bandied about a lot and I agree with Lauren's quote.  Few long-lived fictional characters are truly immortal.  Look at the pantheon of gods in the Marvel and DC universes.  They may be immune to the ravages of aging and have near total invulnerability.  But they will all inevitably meet their maker someday. Either they will fall to a sufficiently powerful foe or the conditions that allow them to defy age and disease will cease to exist. 

• Brohoof 2

Given that Luna and Celestia have been around since before Equestria, it's a safe bet that if they're not immortal, they at least have eternal youth (a theory that is backed by the fact that Celestia was able to be defeated by Chrysalis).

That would explain how Celestia has been ruling for 1000+ years. Luna seems to be a different story, and I'd wager that being sealed inside the moon actually stopped her from aging for 1000 years. The two sisters are most likely only a few years apart chronologically, but Luna is biologically 1000 years younger than her sister now.

Immortal would imply that nothing can kill them, but as we've seen in A Canterlot Wedding, Celestia was very much injured by Chrysalis, so that sort of throws the immortality theory out the windo, or at the very least puts a big damper on it.

Maybe Celestia and Luna naturally have a normal lifespan but use age spells on themselves all the time? After all Age spells are for "The highest level Unicorns." And who are the two most powerful Pegasus unicorns in the show? Celestia and Luna.

What i'm hoping for is two different kinds.  There's mortal to demi-god ponies, and then there's true godlike/immortal ponies. 

Celestia and Luna would be the true godlike/immortals out there because of their power.  One raises the sun while the other deals with night, but Celestia had the power to do both jobs.  When Luna returned, she took up her old job and resumed her position of going into dreams.

Unfortunately, we don't have too much concrete proof of what happens when an alicorn ascends or is born and how their life cycles work.

Personally, as mentioned above, i'm thinking there are two kinds.  I would consider Twilight to have an alicorn ancestor, or Star Swirl was her ancestor, and she ascended to alicorn/demi-god status.  All this means is she gained identification as a princess, the wings, and her power stays the same. 

Cadence is a mystery since she was an alicorn during Twilight's flashback.  I'm wondering if she ascended at an early age, or if she was born that way. 

I think the biggest problem some fans hold is the idea of Twilight being an immortal, learning to live through the pain of her friends dying.

Luna is more than likely an immortal due to she and her sister having lived for quite some time.  Even after the Nightmare Moon incident, I think she's still an immortal. 

• Brohoof 1

Given that Luna and Celestia have been around since before Equestria, it's a safe bet that if they're not immortal, they at least have eternal youth

That's also true.  While the timeframe of what happened before Luna's banishment 1,000 years ago is vague, it seems like she does, in fact, have super longevity like Celestia. 

So how long can Celestia and Luna live exactly?  Just for giggles I'll say a million years or more.  One of DC's continuities shows Superman alive and well in the 856th century.  Even though Superman has the power and longevity of all but the mightiest comic book gods, he's not a god because he would never consider himself to be one.  You can thank his humble upbringing on earth for such a modest attitude.  

Well this is a little kid's show so I don't think there will ever be in-show confirmation however sometimes Lauren Faust or other's may bring something like that up but currently I haven't heard anything about it. I'm going to pretend they are immortal in the sense that age does not affect them. However they can be murdered making reason for worry when bad guys try to attack (that and the citizens are in trouble.)

I personally believe that neither of them are truely immortal. But they are special none the less.  The fact that luna was able to live for so long in the moon is proof enough.  I think it more has to do with magic than her status as an Alicorn.  Those on the show with the most magic are the ones who seem to have lived in ancient times, they being Celestia, Luna, Discord, and Sombra.

I think both Luna and Celestia are immortal. I mean, after all, they are pretty much the gods of Equestria. I think Alicorns are immortal; so I think Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight will all live forever.

Extremely long-lived, yes. Immortal, probably not.

We know Celestia is over a thousand years old. Luna is as well, but she spent most of that time exiled to the moon and may have spent that time in a form of suspended animation.

We also know that the apparent age of Luna can change significantly, as her appearance immediately after the Nightmare Moon cleansing is considerably different from how she appears currently. This could be something to do with her inherent magic getting stripped away during the cleansing, rebuilding later. Or it may be she actually changes through the phases of the moon, and we just haven't seen her during her 'down' time since that first re-appearance.

We also know that Cadance appeared to age normally between her 'teenage' years of foalsitting Twilight, and her current age as wife to Shining Armor. There is supposedly a cannon book coming out that will detail more about Cadance and her princesshood, so we hopefully will learn more about how it works for her from that.

So Celestia, Luna, and Cadance at moment seem to be following different rules. Now we have Twilight in the mix, there's a chance we'll actually be able to pull together enough of a pattern to find out what the rules are. With the limited info we have, I would group Celestia and Luna together, and Cadance and Twilight together as two different 'types' of alicorns. Perhaps there is some further limit-break that Cadance and Twilight will need to achieve to flip over to 'effectively immortal with ethereal manes' type alicorns.

• Brohoof 2

We don't know if either Luna or Celestia are immortal but since they have been around for well over 1000 years it is reasonable to assume that they are at the very least extremely long lived much like dragons.

Immortal and Eternal are two different things.

Eternal -> Live till the end of time.

Tied to their celestial body -> Live till the destruction of the sun or moon

Immortal but not eternal -> No set expiration date but they can be destroyed

Not Immortal at all -> They age albeit very slowly -- 20,000+ years from now they get wrinkles and eventually die.

Personally I lean towards Immortal but not eternal.  That status also tends to encourage solving problems by proxy.

• Brohoof 2

I think Faust originally intended them to be long lived, but not immortal... there was something in an interview posted recently about Twilight being Celestia's successor, which I assume means Celestia was to be near the end of her life. But the new writers seem to have changed it so Twilight is just an addition to the family, and they'll live happily ever after... which I vastly prefer. That doesn't necessarily say Celestia won't eventually die of old age though. After all, dragons are an in-world example of extremely long lived creatures, which still follow a normal lifecycle as far as we've seen.

In any case, I think it's safe to assume Luna is just as immortal/long lived as Celestia, regardless of whether her banishment acted as a stasis or continued to age during it. Now that I think about it, maybe Faust was a TwiLuna shipper... banishment acts as stasis, Celestia passes her power to Twilight and dies, Twilight and Luna have 1000 years together.

I'm not sure about Cadence and Twilight's aging, and I doubt the topic will ever be covered in the show due to the implications for either Celestia/Luna/Spike, or the rest of the mane 6, depending on which way you go. And maybe it's better that way... I can live in my bittersweet immortal Twilestia world, and others can live in their depressing dead mane 6 world :P

Because major supporting characters like Luna and Celestia are unlikely to ever be killed off and we know they have both have been alive for more than 1000 years i think it is safe to say yes. The real question seems to be are all alicorns immortal. In my opinion no. Only Celestia and Luna. I thought it would be interesting to see an older character who knew Celestia when they were younger to have interaction with Celestia now. Remember Celestia gave the land to the Apple family to develop. Wouldn't it be cool to see Granny Smith and Celestia together. Luna doesn't get enough screen time really. But having power's such as going into ponies dreams at night and being imprisoned on the moon for a thousand years would suggest she is also.