Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(age results) being a brony i fear is a phase

Tia Is Best Pony

i recently did a poll to get the age of people on this forum and these were the results 

13-17 26 27.37%

15-17 18 18.95%
17-19-12 12.63%
19-21-6  16.84%
22-24-5  5.26Z%
24-28-4  4.21%
28-34 2  2.11%
34 and older-6 6.32% 

21.05% girls
i guess there were 4 trannies? lol

anyway looking at the age most are 13-17 this saddens me ( though i am 14 myself) i feel that at theese ages you dont know who you are and perhaps being a brony is a phase. do you agree? or is it because the fandom is new.. i know this pull isnt 100% accurate. but it should be pretty accurate 
  • Brohoof 1

You do realize that unless EVERY single member of these forums voted on that pole, the results are too obscure to mean anything?

yes... actually now that im thinking about it perhaps only 13-15 year olds felt the need to vote..... hmmmm its still a fear of mine thats bronyness is a phase for alot of people 

It's not really about phase, it's about the good old fact that the older people are, the less likely they are to know about what's going on around the internet, and without that, you won't get to MLP at all or will not join communities and if you do you won't feel the need to vote. While most of 12-18 people today know about everything major that happens around the internets, the knowledge, in general, grows exponentially thinner with every year you add after that.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 1

Being 16 myself, I think this may be a phase. Then again, I have been both in here, and in the fandom in general since I was 14. I don't know, I used to be a huge weeaboo before I became a brony. I thought I'd never let anime go. Then it just vanished.

It may happen again with MLP, but maybe I'll stick around at least until the show ends. I never know with these kind of things.

I don't remember if I voted in your poll or not.  I have been very busy the last few months.  I was born on 30 Sept 1973 and am Male.  I love the show and have for quite a while.  I was slightly (very slightly) disappointed with the last episode since in my humble opinion it had too many songs and not enough dialog.  Don't get me wrong I love the songs, but I think it was a bit too much.

I wouldn't worry about the numbers. I did your vote and fall under the later categories. Everything goes through phases. Eventually this too will fall from grace but as i I've said many times. Its not the show that stays. Its the part of it that you take with you that matters. As long as its inside you it will never be gone no matter how old you get.

So...loving something and enjoying something is automatically a phase? For me personally, I don't think so. Kinda like I how I will always love music, I will always love this show and fandom, even after it is gone, the show that is.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

You know, HR had a good point but (yes I'm 14) realizing one day that this is a phase, and it passes over after a while would be my worst fear. I honest to god hope it's not, and that this time lasts longer than the couple of years expected in any phase.

Just because being a brony appeals to a certain age doesn't make it a phase, it makes it a thing for that generation. I'm in the 13-17 category, and unless something drastic happens to make me want to leave the fandom...I'm sticking around even once I'm out of that age group. Other kids our age probably are too. So it won't be an age that loves the show, it will be a generation. And--who knows--maybe the incoming groups of 13-17 year olds will also like it and the ages will start to level out.

... all it means is that this forum has a lot of 13-17 year olds.  The series is still relatively new and I think it's easier to get teenagers into watching cartoons than 30 year old adults.  But once they're hooked like me, they're in as deep as the rest of you guys. I mean, look at me.  I;m 34 years old, and I;m up at 4:30 AM on a Pony forum talking about Twilicorn.  That doesn't sound like a phase to me. 

Older bronies (well, except me) just don't have a lot of time to devote to forums like this, what with jobs and families and whatnot.  Life unfortunately does get in the way, it's unavoidable.  But the important thign is, don't worry about the future.  Forget about whether or not you'l love the show 5 years from now, just concentrate on loving the series today,  and let the future figure itself out.  Do you still love the show right now?  That's all that matters.

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 1

Like thunder dash said the fandom is pretty young and the people that join up are going to be the people that actually watch the show or have heard about it through the internet I.E. younger people are going to join.

It's going to need at least a few years time to truly determine wether bronyness is just a phase or not.

I don't think this is a phase at all considering it's a kids show.

It MIGHT be a phase, but that might just be for some certain people. I think...

Older bronies (well, except me) just don't have a lot of time to devote to forums like this, what with jobs and families and whatnot. Life unfortunately does get in the way, it's unavoidable. But the important thign is, don't worry about the future. Forget about whether or not you'l love the show 5 years from now, just concentrate on loving the series today, and let the future figure itself out. Do you still love the show right now? That's all that matters.

I hear you there, im slightly older then you though lol but im up and trying to edit my fanfiction. this is the type of show that just gets inside you and you cant let it go

I know this pull isnt 100% accurate.

Correct

but it should be pretty accurate 

no it is not.

This isn't something oyu need to go to college to understand, so I'll try to explain in the simplest way possible..

When Disco came out, what age group liked it the most.  Now in 2013, what age group currently likes it the most.

I know that for some it's a phase.  This generation is fickle minded and will never stay on something (myself included)

Though I may not be the "young'n" of the groups, (Being 17) I can still tell you that looking at kids just a year or two younger than me, it's got nowhere but down to go from here XD (I am referring to the generation in general, not BRONIES) 

While yes, I feel that in a time or so, the number will actually shrink to the "Loyal" people of the fandom.  Those who actually, truly, love the show, will be in that group as the rest is blown away with the chaff.

All in all, don't worry, even that last group will be large enough to be more recognizable than most fandoms (I'd assume it would tie up with Whoovians or Trekies [both of which are awesome])

Anyways that's just my thoughts :/

I think it is partly because 13-17 year olds tend to have more time on their hands than people older than that because they are usually just students while people older than that often have jobs and other responsibilities and might miss a few things. And when a lot of people older than that think of My Little Pony they tend to think of previous generations before I got into the show when someone said My Little Pony the first thing that came to mind was the G1 cartoons which I will admit aren't that bad (they have some pretty good villains) but do somewhat deserve their reputation for being a bit girly.

I was having a conversation with a coworker the other day and I don't remember how it got to this but she asked me what shirts I wear and I said "mostly plain t shirt with some politically themed shirts and one shirt from this show I have been watching." She asked what show and I said "I am probably the last person you would expect to watch this but, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic". And her reaction was something to the effect of "oh I remember collecting the toys when I was a little girl" and while she wasn't judgmental about it was a little confused. This one brony coworker who was there with his wife overheard and we started talking about our favorite ponies and explaining how the currently MLP is different than the previous generations. His favorite pony is Rainbow Dash while the wifes is Luna in case any of you are wondering.

• 8 years later...