Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does it bother you when someone spells your name incorrecty

applebaby

Yes, yes I do. I always just wanna scream "There is no bucking H in my name! I AM NOT WHITE." Ironically, there's an extra h in my username. It's just one of those things that get to me, like when people mispronounce words or don't understand why copyright craps all over YTP (I still hate you Viacom)

• Brohoof 1

My first name is straightforward and widely used.  It is almost never misspelled.  My last name?  That's a different story.  Usually when I give my name to a stranger, I have to spell it out for them.  And it does get annoying sometimes.  Why couldn't I have a simple name like Turner or Green? 

Wanna know something funny?  I once had a letter published in a Transformers comic with my full address.  Because I made reference to an online club which would carry on the legacy of the comic after Marvel cancelled it, I got a LOT of snail mail from total strangers.  I even met a best friend who I kept in touch with for about 15 years before finally drifting apart because of that letter.  The only little nitpick I had with this is that Marvel misspelled my last name even though they had it typed out for them.  :P

Spelling my name wrong doesn't irritate me, after all my real name is easy to spell, Sam, too easy. My last name, Knavel, is a little more complicated, and people always spell it wrong, no prob.

But pronouncing it? Gawd they always get it wrong. (pronounced Kuh-navel)

Edited by ~Another Chaotic Username~
  • Brohoof 1

My name's always mispelled, but I don't mind at all. I actually love to see the variations people come up with, haha. But I'm sympathetic since I know it's a little tricky, and heck I probably always mispell others' naes anyway.

It's an honest mistake to misspell a name but I do get a little annoyed because I don't think my name is that hard to spell...my last name is a little tricky but usually people ask me how to spell it and I have no problem with telling someone if they ask.

What really ticks me off, though, is when people don't capitalize my name. I'm in 10th grade and people still don't manage to capitalize names other than their own.

There a few ways of spelling "Aaron" so, normally I'm not really bothered at all, normally people ask if it has two a's or not. 

The only time it does bother me is when I've emailed a client at work and they spell it wrong when they are replying to me. I just don't get it, my name is both on my email address and at the end of my email, there is no actual way you could spell it wrong but a few people have. 

It's a pain when kids are given a name were the vowels are unusually replaced by "y", like in "Alyx", and "Madyson", "Madisyn", and "Madysyn". And that's not the worst part: When you spell their name wrong and they and/or their parents get all butthurt over it big time.

My name is spelled wrong all the time, and I am infinitly merciful and sympathetic to people who misspell it.

Now mispronunciation is completly different...

(edited)

My RL name is Allan. I've got certificates and degrees that spell it Allen, Alan, Alun, and at one point I went crazy and started to use the name Aliean. :)

So, to be honest, when I was 16-18, it did bother me. But as I grew older, I got over it. It helps that now there are people who know me by other names, such as Fhaolan and others.

Edited by Fhaolan

My name almost always get misspelled, so I'm not surprised or annoyed when it happens because I expect it. I'm actually shocked when people spell it correctly, haha. The only time I correct them is if it's an important document or something

My name is hyphenated, and everyone spells my husband's family name right, but screws mine up with an extra letter! What's the deal with that? I think it's some dark conspiracy to get me to drop being hyphenated! 

(Actually, people always spelled it wrong!)

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Considering I've got a pretty lengthy last name, it does get spelt incorrectly sometimes. Doesn't exactly help that it's Russian, either. :/

Even if I have gotten used to it, it's still annoying.

Edited by Kyubey

My real name is Isis. People often call me Iris, which kinda bothers me to be honest, since Isis is an easy and short name. But well, I can also understand that people make that mistake, since Iris is a more common name here.

Oh sweet Celestia, don't even get me started. No one's ever misspelled my first name, but OH so many times people have tried to misspell my last name. It's really only ever a difference of one letter, but still. When my last name CLEARLY has an "I" sound in it, why would you try to spell it with an "E"? It just hits the wrong spot every time. Which is quite often. dry.png

My name is TJ. They will need to go back to school if they somehow manage to get that one wrong. My last name was a nuisance in middle school though. It was Flagler and many children were fond of leaving off the first L and then calling me by my last name. Bullying is no good. 

It gives me a good laugh, but I don't get annoyed. Although people misspell my name all the time. Is it really hard to spell Ashley...?

Edited by Megamare

its bugs me a bit, but its just slight annoyance at most tongue.png

it still amazes me how many people have trouble spelling my name, "Alyssa".

i've seen so many weird combinations, alissa, alysa, alisa, elissa, etc.

i actually don't care at all when people pronounce my name wrong though. alot of my family has a heavy accent and pronounces my name differently, so i don't mind biggrin.png

my last name is pretty uncommon, but its still easy to pronounce and spell.

Edited by crazitaco

Mine's been misspelled and pronounced incorrectly so many times that I don't even care anymore. Granted, my name is quite unique and it's at the point where I think I'm the only US citizen with this name >_<

Edited by TimeFactor

I can live with people misspelling my name, because at least those people actually remember my real name. What irks me more is when people call me everything but my actual name.

My name is Katrina but for some reason everyone keeps calling me "Katie" "Kathy" "Katelyn" "Kathrine" etc. It drives me nuts! angry.png

So yeah, I'll take "Catrina" any day, because at least it *sounds* correct.