Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does it bother you when someone spells your name incorrecty

applebaby

Well, my name is pretty common. Samantha. Or Sam, or Sammyy. No one has really ever misspelled my name..but however, my last name Marcum. So many people spell it Markum. Same as my middle name, it is Gail, not Gale like the wind. My middle name means happy.

It kind of does annoy me when someone mispronounces my friends name or misspell. I have a friend named Eilis. Pronounced "Ee-leese" and people call her Ellis "El-lis" She gets fed up with it too. They spell her name so many wrong ways as she tells me.

are you from the UK??

If you don't what to answer the question it's up to you 

am just asking because am from UK and you says your name is welsh

No, I'm from the US, but I shall be moving to the UK. My name comes from a Welsh figure in folklore, the son of sea. That appears to have answered your question.  ;)

Noone ever spells my first name wrong, but oh my god, no one get's my last name right :) It may be because we're the only family in the world with this last name.

It's kinda annoying.

Edited by Lolnus
  • Brohoof 1

No, I'm from the US, but I shall be moving to the UK. My name comes from a Welsh figure in folklore, the son of sea. That appears to have answered your question.  ;)

ok thanks

will to be honest with you am from wales where your name come from 

hope you will like the UK when you move ;)

thanks for reply

My name is really common, but people always mispronounce my Xbox Live name, "Sir Trollestia."  They always end up saying "TrollEEsta," but it really doesn't bother me that much.

People spell my name wrong all the fricken time >:{ it really annoys me too at times because my name is Stephenie... But the most common way of spelling it is Stephanie ... And I shorten it down to Steff and people spell it Steph.....I don't know why it annoys me but it just does... And they never ask how its spelt/if it's spelt right they just assume which ticks me off even more >:@

When I was in nursery the teachers said to my mum I was spelling my name wrong too... Because I was putting and e instead of an a -_- they were the wrong ones and they are teachers! Hello? Is my name spelt correctly on the damn register? And the bank and college spell it wrong so I have to go through a whole faff of getting them to change it -_-

My friends know how to spell it though :3 which is good.

Rant over :") sorry 'bout that >,<

Edited by SteffiJane

I don't really get too annoyed, although a lot of people do spell my name wrong by switching the last letters. Usually people spell it right though, the other way to spell it isn't very common. As for my last name people usually just ask because it's so strange (and German) or they switch the first letter with one that sounds similar. 

I don't think anyone could spell my name wrong, so I could never be bothered with it. If someone does manage to spell Robert wrong, I would be surprised. I could understand about my last name being misspelled though, especially since there is a couple of spellings for my last name.

My last name is 11 letters long, German, and defies all English grammatical rules and sensibilities. When I was just learning to write as a wee little lad, I never forgot how to spell it after the first time my parents showed me. So as a kid I found it confusing and annoying that people who had seen it a dozen times still couldn't get it right. By now I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.

What does still bother me is when people mispronounce it. I understand why they would, but hearing my last name butchered causes in me the same feeling others might get from hearing nails on a chalkboard. Probably because no two people have ever mispronounced it the same way, every time feels like the first. When I'm in a doctor's office or some other place waiting to have my name called, the person who comes out to get people sometimes gets stuck on my last name and pauses. "Eric... uh..." That's all I need to hear to know that I'm the Eric in question.

I'd say I get a little annoyed when people misspell my name but I wouldn't get mad over it. Where I live, "Erik" isn't too common. Instead, people assume that it's spelled with a c or a ck.

It can also be spelled with a "ch," but I've only seen that once before.

Not really actually no it does not bother me at all. People often spell my last name wrong but you people make mistakes and that is not my place to get all upset with them because of that. I am easy going with things and usually nothing makes me angry or sets me off. 

My name is spelled very similarly to a very common name. As such people try to be helpful and change my name to the incorrect version whenever they find it. This can be extremely annoying. The teachers elementary -> high school all thought I couldn't spell my own name. I almost didn't graduate from college because someone in the administration changed my name in my records (two disjointed semesters where under the incorrect spelling of my name).

I don't mind when normal people misspell my name, but please if you are going to change my records please ask me before doing so.

• Brohoof 1

My name gets always spelled wrong (even celebrities don't spare me that <_< ) so I don't get mad much anymore over such a trivial error.  However, it still does annoy me to this day...

honestly, I really kinda don't care if anyone misspells my name. It's really no big deal to me although there are times when it MAY bother me but overall, it's really nothing that concerns me too much

My first name is quite common and only has one spelling, but NO-ONE can ever seem to get my last name right!  It's a far more common first name than my actual one, so I tend to be called [last name] [first name], or [first name] [last name]s, because my last name is more common with that S than without it.  However, I'm quite proud of my name, difficult thought it is, because of the interesting story behind it.  I'll PM anyone interested if you do so first.

Yeah. Back in elementary school, teachers would call me by my legal name, Tianyi. For some reason people would always read it with a "g" instead of a "y" (Tiangi)

Also, a lot of people misread my username as "Tacothrice" or "Tacorice"

It bothers me, but I don't complain about it. My name is Lydia, and people sometimes spell it Lidya. However, my LAST name (which I'm not going to share) is misspelled and mispronounced ALL the time. In fact, it's a shock if someone I don't already know gets it right.

My first name is "Andrew," so there's not much that can go wrong there. However, my last name is very rare...well, sorta. It's kinda common in Mediterranean countries (I have really close Italian lineage), but our spelling is extremely rare, so it gets misspelled quite often, and yes, it is very bothersome. :P

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't bother me a great deal. I'll just point out the mistake if it's on official papers, documents and the likes. Which name is misspelt depends on who is spelling them. My last name causes difficulty in Italy whereas my first name has been subject to all kinds of misspells in English-speaking countries xD