Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Discord defend Equestria

TheMarkz0ne

You know...I don't think it'd be terribly out of character. I could definitely see Discord fighting against the bad guys, but I would bet that he'd do it (or at least claim to do it) out of his sense for fun, not because he 'wants to protect all of Equestria'. For example, Discord would toy with Chrysalis and her changelings and ultimately aid in getting rid of them, because it'd be the perfect opportunity for him to let loose on his powers and truly screw around. He'd make jokes about how she's Queen Cheese Legs, turn her minions into slices of swiss cheese, have a duel with her, magic vs magic and ultimately banish them or something.

It's not unlike a fanfic I read. The fanfic was an alternate reality where Nightmare Moon won, and took over Equestria in an eternal night. Discord was released from his prison early due to all the strife and depression going on around the kingdom due to the dieing plants, etc. What was the first thing he did? Overthrew Nightmare Moon and brought the sun back. Not because he was acting righteously and actively trying to save Equestria, but because it was amusing to him; her rule was boring, and he wanted to rule and have things fun. He acted as a powerful force that saved the kingdom, but only because it suited his own personal enjoyment. This is the benefit of being a character who is neither lawful good nor chaotic evil.

So, yeah. Now that he's 'semi-good', I could see Discord aiding in removing Equestrian threats, if for no other reason than to use it as an excuse to let his powers go mad and completely whoop the ass of the opposing characters xD

That said, I doubt we'll be seeing that happen. Celestia and the other powerful higher-ups rarely lend an overpowered hand to assist the main characters, and likewise I doubt the writers would have Discord do it, either.

• Brohoof 3

I could see it happening, though I think it would sort of make this side overpowered.  Though we never see Celestia even trying to do anything to help, Discord probably wouldn't either.

Well, ever since Discord turned "good", I'm sure he'd put up some sort of fight. I could see him using his chaotic power for good. 

Also, Equestria is his home, and pretty much everyone, good or bad, would fight for their home.

I think it could happen, but I highly doubt it. Besides, if discord does not perform any acts of good or tries to destroy Ponyville with chaos. They will just turn him to stone again. So I say yes.

I think the best way I see Discord is like that of the Aladdin genie. He would only help if it ensues hilarity. I guess the same rules apply with Pinkie's weirdness.

I'm not the only one then.

Ever since is saw the episode "Keep Calm and Flutter on" I have imagined Discord like the genie in Aladin.

Now the genie did do some protecting and saving, but it wasn't on a omnipoint scale. He did it in a halarious way as well.

If Discord does behave like the genie in the future then he will forever be higher on my list of favorite cast.

• 10 months later...

Discord is not actually evil. He makes fun of everyone and everything for his personal enjoyment, but he doesn't attack like the other Boss Villains (Chrissy, Sombra, NMM). So he probably would help, either just for fun or because he was reformed in S3E10.

Well, he may well help, but he certainly will not just step in and win outright, as he would be bored by that. Discord may well be more subtle about things, only stepping in directly if things go really pear shaped and he has no other option.

Discord will defend Equestria. Simply to spite the other invader.

kinda funny if that happens, that effectively means Discord would replace the EoH as Equestria's most powerful defense... the irony.

Probably, but not immediately. In the long run, it would benefit him. The changelings would overthrow the Equestrian government, overpower Celestia and Luna and overwhelm the mane 6. That way, anypony who was a thorn in Discords side will be dealt with. Heck, Discord and Chrysalis may even work together against their mutual foes, only with the intent of using each other and stabbing them in the back after. Only when  Equestria is on it's knees and begging for his help will Discord save them from the changelings. 

And even if he were to oppose them outright, Discord wouldn't save Equestria out of the goodness of his own heart. Like the Marvel/DC crossover when Supermans archenemy Darkseid defended his domain of Apokolips from being devoured by Fantastic 4 villain Galactus, he didn't do so because it was his home or because he had any feelings for it's residents. He did so because the planet was his. His property. His plaything. His dominion. Discord most likely views any defense of Equestria on his part for the same reason. He is more or less ominipotnent. Has the ability to alter reality. He's more of a god than Celestia ever could be. He has absolute power, and you what they say about that? Power corrupts, and absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

And Fluttershy isn't an excuse to behave either because as demonstrated in Season 2, he could just warp her personality at will.  

Okay it would depend on the invader.

Is the invader some ball breaking, law loving , anti fun magenent?

you damn skippy hippy he'd be all up in their grill.

Edited by FNGRpony

Maybe he would team up with a villain like Mane-iac. In case of the changelings? I'm sure he would defend Equestria sooner or later at the point where all ponies are caged and drained empty. He's not a complete sadist, is he?

I think he'd let it go for a whole because Chrysalis rule would be a nice change of pace. But after a little while he'd get bored and stir things up a bit. That's when he'll overthrow the changelings.

Edited by hawkflame

Discord may be a bad guy, but that does not mean he is a "bad guy." (You know what I'm quoting.) Anyways, like hawkflame said up there, he might just sit back and let everything take it's course for a bit. But, Chrysalis might do something that he isn't exactly comfortable with. That's when he'll likely decide to take a stand and stand up to the queen. But, that's just a possibility. Discord is one of the most unpredictable cartoon characters I've ever seen. Who knows what he's gonna do?